1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Squidboards now has its own Discord server!

Join us on Discord!

3. Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 15,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 150,000 posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Splatoon community!

4. Hi Guest,

As of June 3rd you will no longer be able to log in to Squidboards using your Smashboards account. Please take a look at the announcement for additional details

NA Splatfest: Are you an Early Bird or a Night Owl?

Discussion in 'Regular Discussion' started by G1ng3rGar1, Jun 17, 2016.

?

Early Bird or Night Owl?

Poll closed Jun 27, 2016.
  1. Early Bird

29.3%
  2. Night Owl

61.0%
  3. Haven't chosen yet/in another region!

9.8%
  1. Award

Award Squid Savior From the Future

Yes, but do they WISH they were night owls if only their parents let them stay up? :)

G1ng3rGar1, ShinyGirafarig and Dual like this.
  2. Dual

Dual Super Moderator
    Super Moderator

NNID:
    chaser1234
    If this is the amount of people that are going to play for early birds night owls will win because there will never be enough for a team of early birds to fight a night owl team, and since night owls have the popularity advantage, they'll win.

Award and G1ng3rGar1 like this.
  3. ShinyGirafarig

ShinyGirafarig Inkling Commander

NNID:
    ShinyGirafarig
    Did someone at NoA even think this would be an evenly split Splatfest popularity wise in the first place?

NoA is horrible at coming up with evenly themed Splatfests.

4. G1ng3rGar1

G1ng3rGar1 Inkling Fleet Admiral

Unfortunately true

Dual likes this.
  5. ShinyGirafarig

NNID:
    ShinyGirafarig
    They need to take child psychology or any psychology really.

Dual likes this.
  6. Award

This might be the first splatfest where the team with overhwelming popularity and less wins ends up winning by popularity override despite the multiplier :)

Seriously they've done awful at coming up with themes with balance. My guess is they googled stats and said "hey, 50% of the population is night owls/early birds that works" without understanding what it implies if you let people CHOOSE which they prefer. Especially when kids are involved, which, unfortunately, in NoA territory, makes up a good chunk of the player pool (not so in Japan - kids buy 3DS, adults buy WiiU...oh wait, nevermind, nobody bought WiiU... :p)

Though in Splatoon's case I wonder how many of the kids are really playing. WiiU sales aren't exactly lighting charts ablaze, and Christmas was long ago. I haven't seen a lot of Miiverse posts anymore about "they keep putting me against level 50's!" and instead it's a bunch of A&S ranks complaining about the finer points of their teammates competitive failures. A year later, I think only the hardcore are playing to begin with. So child psychology may not be a huge factor this time around.

Dual likes this.
  7. G1ng3rGar1

I'm looking forward to how this'll all turn out

Dual likes this.
  8. ShinyGirafarig

NNID:
    ShinyGirafarig
    Here are two of my Splatfest Theme ideas that may be unpredictable with how it will go.

Hare vs Tortoise: idea came from Japan's Grasshopper vs Ant which is from the same source. The idea is do you like to rush through something or take things slowly. Will people choose what reflects what they do in real life? Will people say the tortoise won at the end in the story so that team will win? Or will people go CUTE BUNNIES! Grasshopper lost in the original story but won in the Splatfest so anything goes.

Country Mouse vs City Mouse. Prefer things with more nature but necessities like stores further away or the city with everything nearby at the cost of pollution and concrete everywhere. Will people chose based on where they live or will they choose the other due to being tired of the environment they currently are in.

LupusFreak and Dual like this.
  9. SupaTim

SupaTim Prodigal Squid

NNID:
    SupaTim101
    [​IMG]

SyMag and Dual like this.
  10. Award

Cities where everything is nearby and takes 45 minutes to get there, or the country where everything is far away and takes 15 minutes to get there. :p That one will go over kids heads too easily :)

How about "NX will be more powerful than PS4 yes/no" :p Considering the internet rage and fanboying that one will be 50/50 for sure!

Mr. 9, Ikaheishi and G1ng3rGar1 like this.
  11. G1ng3rGar1

Can I be salty over the fact that you have no medium option? No? Well, I suppose I'm Tortoise.
    And City Mouse. I live in the city, and can see myself in an apartment somewhere
    *coughcoughJapancoughcough*

Dual likes this.
  12. ShinyGirafarig

NNID:
    ShinyGirafarig
    I live in the city with the Nintendo NY store. I know what I am choosing.

Award, Dual and G1ng3rGar1 like this.
  13. Award

Yet the charm of Nintendo games is that most of them take place in the country and not in metropoli, and Nintendo itself is in Kyoto, a city built like the country, a US HQ in the hills with a living roof, and I can't for the life of me figure out why they have a store in NY at all :)

Dual and G1ng3rGar1 like this.
  14. G1ng3rGar1

Because of the sheer population XD
    (Splatoon takes place in a city, so...)

Dual likes this.
  15. ShinyGirafarig

NNID:
    ShinyGirafarig
    I don't know why but I am not complaining :).

Dual, Award and G1ng3rGar1 like this.
  16. ShinyGirafarig

NNID:
    ShinyGirafarig
    Squid Sisters started their lives in the country though.

17. G1ng3rGar1

I have no idea why, but this splatfest seems to be bringing out my inner Night Owl XD I usually go to be 9-10ish, but now I've been going to be 11-2 XD Oops
    I was thinking about Calimari County(Country?) and Octo Valley when I typed that .-.

Ooooohhh you double posted XD

Award likes this.
  18. Hero of Lime

Hero of Lime Inkling Fleet Admiral

NNID:
    Link643
    Switch Friend Code:
    SW-5339-5185-8796.
    After a long play session today, it's mostly level 50 A and S ranks with a low level player thrown in just to mess with everyone. It was really bad today especially. Had several instances of a lobby with nothing but level 50s, and a level 8 or 9.

Though funny enough, looking at my plaza, there are a lot of very low leveled players appearing with their Splatfest miiverse post, and most of them are night owls. So there is a decent population, but not enough for the game to put them all together I guess.

19. Award

And the battle venues seem to favor country, or at least "outside the city limits" venues. Mahi, Skatepark, Triggerfish. Some are industrial but outside the city, as you can see the city in the distance (Hammerhead, Depot, Underpass, etc. Actually the only ones presumably IN the city are Port Mackerel, the two indoor venues (warehouse, anchov), Moray, and Flounder. Yeah even the battle maps in the city suck... :p

A bunch of low level players leveling their splatfest tees before splatfest. Alts. Every last one of 'em. Noobs don't even consider leveling up a splatfest tee.

Dual, G1ng3rGar1 and Hero of Lime like this.
  20. Award

Accidental double post.