• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

NA Splatfest: Are you an Early Bird or a Night Owl?

Early Bird or Night Owl?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Award

Squid Savior From the Future
So true. But we also haven't considered the 8 or 9 year olds (and the ones that are a little younger or older that can actually play at a B rank level), that go to bed at 8 (maybe 9 but I'm not sure if that's a night owl for younger kids) and wake up at 6 or 7.
Yes, but do they WISH they were night owls if only their parents let them stay up? :)

Dual

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
The Great Zapfish. It's really cozy here!
NNID
chaser1234
Yes, but do they WISH they were night owls if only their parents let them stay up? :)
If this is the amount of people that are going to play for early birds night owls will win because there will never be enough for a team of early birds to fight a night owl team, and since night owls have the popularity advantage, they'll win.

ShinyGirafarig

Inkling Commander
NNID
ShinyGirafarig
Switch Friend Code
SW-6085-7937-9686
They need to take child psychology or any psychology really.

Award

If this is the amount of people that are going to play for early birds night owls will win because there will never be enough for a team of early birds to fight a night owl team, and since night owls have the popularity advantage, they'll win.
This might be the first splatfest where the team with overhwelming popularity and less wins ends up winning by popularity override despite the multiplier :)

They need to take child psychology or any psychology really.
Seriously they've done awful at coming up with themes with balance. My guess is they googled stats and said "hey, 50% of the population is night owls/early birds that works" without understanding what it implies if you let people CHOOSE which they prefer. Especially when kids are involved, which, unfortunately, in NoA territory, makes up a good chunk of the player pool (not so in Japan - kids buy 3DS, adults buy WiiU...oh wait, nevermind, nobody bought WiiU... :P)

Though in Splatoon's case I wonder how many of the kids are really playing. WiiU sales aren't exactly lighting charts ablaze, and Christmas was long ago. I haven't seen a lot of Miiverse posts anymore about "they keep putting me against level 50's!" and instead it's a bunch of A&S ranks complaining about the finer points of their teammates competitive failures. A year later, I think only the hardcore are playing to begin with. So child psychology may not be a huge factor this time around.

ShinyGirafarig

Inkling Commander
NNID
ShinyGirafarig
Switch Friend Code
SW-6085-7937-9686
Seriously they've done awful at coming up with themes with balance. My guess is they googled stats and said "hey, 50% of the population is night owls/early birds that works" without understanding what it implies if you let people CHOOSE which they prefer. Especially when kids are involved, which, unfortunately, in NoA territory, makes up a good chunk of the player pool (not so in Japan - kids buy 3DS, adults buy WiiU...oh wait, nevermind, nobody bought WiiU... :p)

Though in Splatoon's case I wonder how many of the kids are really playing. WiiU sales aren't exactly lighting charts ablaze, and Christmas was long ago. I haven't seen a lot of Miiverse posts anymore about "they keep putting me against level 50's!" and instead it's a bunch of A&S ranks complaining about the finer points of their teammates competitive failures. A year later, I think only the hardcore are playing to begin with. So child psychology may not be a huge factor this time around.
Here are two of my Splatfest Theme ideas that may be unpredictable with how it will go.

Hare vs Tortoise: idea came from Japan's Grasshopper vs Ant which is from the same source. The idea is do you like to rush through something or take things slowly. Will people choose what reflects what they do in real life? Will people say the tortoise won at the end in the story so that team will win? Or will people go CUTE BUNNIES! Grasshopper lost in the original story but won in the Splatfest so anything goes.

Country Mouse vs City Mouse. Prefer things with more nature but necessities like stores further away or the city with everything nearby at the cost of pollution and concrete everywhere. Will people chose based on where they live or will they choose the other due to being tired of the environment they currently are in.

Award

Here are two of my Splatfest Theme ideas that may be unpredictable with how it will go.

Hare vs Tortoise: idea came from Japan's Grasshopper vs Ant which is from the same source. The idea is do you like to rush through something or take things slowly. Will people choose what reflects what they do in real life? Will people say the tortoise won at the end in the story so that team will win? Or will people go CUTE BUNNIES! Grasshopper lost in the original story but won in the Splatfest so anything goes.

Country Mouse vs City Mouse. Prefer things with more nature but necessities like stores further away or the city with everything nearby at the cost of pollution and concrete everywhere. Will people chose based on where they live or will they choose the other due to being tired of the environment they currently are in.
Cities where everything is nearby and takes 45 minutes to get there, or the country where everything is far away and takes 15 minutes to get there. :P That one will go over kids heads too easily :)

How about "NX will be more powerful than PS4 yes/no" :P Considering the internet rage and fanboying that one will be 50/50 for sure!

G1ng3rGar1

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Switch Friend Code
SW-7732-8500-1233

Can I be salty over the fact that you have no medium option? No? Well, I suppose I'm Tortoise.
And City Mouse. I live in the city, and can see myself in an apartment somewhere
*coughcoughJapancoughcough*

Award

I live in the city with the Nintendo NY store. I know what I am choosing.
Yet the charm of Nintendo games is that most of them take place in the country and not in metropoli, and Nintendo itself is in Kyoto, a city built like the country, a US HQ in the hills with a living roof, and I can't for the life of me figure out why they have a store in NY at all :)

G1ng3rGar1

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Switch Friend Code
SW-7732-8500-1233
Yet the charm of Nintendo games is that most of them take place in the country and not in metropoli, and Nintendo itself is in Kyoto, a city built like the country, a US HQ in the hills with a living roof, and I can't for the life of me figure out why they have a store in NY at all :)
Because of the sheer population XD
(Splatoon takes place in a city, so...)

ShinyGirafarig

Inkling Commander
NNID
ShinyGirafarig
Switch Friend Code
SW-6085-7937-9686
I don't know why but I am not complaining :).

G1ng3rGar1

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Switch Friend Code
SW-7732-8500-1233
I have no idea why, but this splatfest seems to be bringing out my inner Night Owl XD I usually go to be 9-10ish, but now I've been going to be 11-2 XD Oops
Squid Sisters started their lives in the country though.
I was thinking about Calimari County(Country?) and Octo Valley when I typed that .-.

Ooooohhh you double posted XD

Hero of Lime

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Link643
Switch Friend Code
SW-5339-5185-8796.
After a long play session today, it's mostly level 50 A and S ranks with a low level player thrown in just to mess with everyone. It was really bad today especially. Had several instances of a lobby with nothing but level 50s, and a level 8 or 9.

Though funny enough, looking at my plaza, there are a lot of very low leveled players appearing with their Splatfest miiverse post, and most of them are night owls. So there is a decent population, but not enough for the game to put them all together I guess.

Award

Squid Sisters started their lives in the country though.
And the battle venues seem to favor country, or at least "outside the city limits" venues. Mahi, Skatepark, Triggerfish. Some are industrial but outside the city, as you can see the city in the distance (Hammerhead, Depot, Underpass, etc. Actually the only ones presumably IN the city are Port Mackerel, the two indoor venues (warehouse, anchov), Moray, and Flounder. Yeah even the battle maps in the city suck... :p

After a long play session today, it's mostly level 50 A and S ranks with a low level player thrown in just to mess with everyone. It was really bad today especially. Had several instances of a lobby with nothing but level 50s, and a level 8 or 9.

Though funny enough, looking at my plaza, there are a lot of very low leveled players appearing with their Splatfest miiverse post, and most of them are night owls. So there is a decent population, but not enough for the game to put them all together I guess.
A bunch of low level players leveling their splatfest tees before splatfest. Alts. Every last one of 'em. Noobs don't even consider leveling up a splatfest tee.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom