• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

NA Splatfest: Are you an Early Bird or a Night Owl?

Early Bird or Night Owl?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

chubbypickle

Inkling Cadet
this was my first time on the losing side i had early bird but i found a good team and barely lost until near the max out king, only real complaint is i wish 1 of the maps were smaller just a bit more hold the middle combat, yes you can say that about piranha but it still stake a min till that happens if your not already pushed backed.

AlphaOmegaSplatter

Inkling Cadet
NNID
phs2003
Switch Friend Code
SW-5305-7165-0622
I think this Splatfest was too one sided. 71% to 39% I almost knew Night Owl had won, just based off of that. It also wasn't that fun for me. I almost WANT to rank down, so I can have a more enjoyable Splatfest experience. At A rank, it feels more like a ranked battle mode, more then a fun, light-hearted experience. This was easily my least favorite Splatfest of all that I've played in. On the bright sight, I got two perfect rerolls from 18 snails.

Ryuji

Inkling Commander
NNID
Ryuji777x
This game doesnt want me to win D:

In all seriousness though, surprised Night Owls won. Thought it wouldve been like past splatfests where the popular side loses. The results just broke that trend. Ah well, at least I got into the top 100.

Topazrekerboy

Inkling Cadet
NNID
janspinoy
Third Splatfest lost, and counting...perhaps this will break the popularity loses thing but after the conversation between the Squid Sisters the next one might be the last one XD

SupaTim

Prodigal Squid
NNID
SupaTim101
Not seeing much hacked gear. Saw one person the whole team moving quicker than. Their gear abilities. I dont see the point. I tell my boy that when u cheat at something fun that all you do is make something fun into work and that it defeats the purpose. As a magic the gathering analogy: i can copy champion netdecks or decks in formats that allow for victory in one turn, but whats the point. Its not my victory at that point. Its either someone elses victory (technically) or pure luck (drawing a hand allowing for a first turn win)
Hacking Splatoon is not anything like netdecking in M:tG. Using a netdeck, especially a fast turn-one combo deck requires insane skill and intimate knowledge of both your deck and the format you're playing in. Hacking to win requires no skill at all. Deckbuilding is only part of winning in Magic. Piloting and sideboarding are arguably more important.

I was able to play 4 matches in this splatfest. All mirror matches. All wins. Terrible lag. Glad for my 6 snails I suppose.

G1ng3rGar1

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Switch Friend Code
SW-7732-8500-1233
I woke not too long ago (within the hour) and I was so surprised with the results. I haven't seen such high popularity. And the wins?
"WHOA WHOA WHOA WHOA" and some Night Owl propaganda
Too bad I didn't stick around long enough to be Queen

Also
That banter?
If Nintendo doesn't follow up hoo boy I'm gonna be salty

Award

Squid Savior From the Future
I didn't really get to play much on ANY account due to a bizarre day over all in real life, but I was sure thrilled to see Night Owls pull through for the win. At least I get my 4 snails! :) That said with this new format I think I like playing regular TW and regular ranked more than these awful splatfest battles. Which is so sad given how much I loved Splatfest in general.

Ikaheishi

Bobble-chan
That said with this new format I think I like playing regular TW and regular ranked more than these awful splatfest battles. Which is so sad given how much I loved Splatfest in general.
I feel the same art this point. Splatfest was an absolute blast a year ago. I'd play in matches where we lost but it was still fun. Now the battles are so harsh and punishing, seems like the only fun too be had is some kind of sadistic pleasure in playing savagely, and that of revenge against a specific player over some silly reason. There's so much of a focus on splating opponents instead of having fun as how I'm sure the development team intended for us.

Maybe this speaks to a problem in the greater community around Splatoon. Or maybe not. I can't know that for sure. And while I suspect it does, I have to acknowledge that I'm only around a fragment of that community; I may missing evidence to the contrary or that of which supports what I'm beginning to think. I have little to no idea what the competitive arena is like since I have nothing to do with it. I have much more to do with the creative circles outside of playing the game, those creating works of art and literature inside the universe of Splatoon. I'm sure most of my time is spent over in the forum games section here on SquidBoards though. :D

Flareth

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Hot damn, it's like I'm reading a bloody apocalyptic log here. I knew ahead of time that there would be some grumbling here & there, but this... almost makes me glad I missed/skipped this Splatfest after all.

Ansible

Community Ambassador
Hot damn, it's like I'm reading a bloody apocalyptic log here. I knew ahead of time that there would be some grumbling here & there, but this... almost makes me glad I missed/skipped this Splatfest after all.
Yeah, y'know. I'm often a skeptic to splatfest grumbles and blues, but this one... I dunno. Just left me annoyingly emo more than anything.

CrazyGadget

Inkster Jr.
NNID
CrazyGadget466
So I take it I'm the only one who grinded six hours immediately upon starting for Night Owl King and actually enjoyed it to the point I came back for more after getting some shut-eye? Granted, I only fought nine, maybe eleven matches against Early Birds my entire run.

Mr. 9

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
interesting_deal
So I take it I'm the only one who grinded six hours immediately upon starting for Night Owl King and actually enjoyed it to the point I came back for more after getting some shut-eye? Granted, I only fought nine, maybe eleven matches against Early Birds my entire run.
Nope, your not alone! I was one of the few lucky ones who had a REALLY enjoyable Splatfest. Woke up early on Saturday, hopped online and got to early bird royalty fairly easily. I started at 1600 Splatfest power and ended at 1631, so the matches were pretty even. I had pretty good teammates and the levels looked awesome! Sure we early birds lost but that's OK.

Award

I feel the same art this point. Splatfest was an absolute blast a year ago. I'd play in matches where we lost but it was still fun. Now the battles are so harsh and punishing, seems like the only fun too be had is some kind of sadistic pleasure in playing savagely, and that of revenge against a specific player over some silly reason. There's so much of a focus on splating opponents instead of having fun as how I'm sure the development team intended for us.

Maybe this speaks to a problem in the greater community around Splatoon. Or maybe not. I can't know that for sure. And while I suspect it does, I have to acknowledge that I'm only around a fragment of that community; I may missing evidence to the contrary or that of which supports what I'm beginning to think. I have little to no idea what the competitive arena is like since I have nothing to do with it. I have much more to do with the creative circles outside of playing the game, those creating works of art and literature inside the universe of Splatoon. I'm sure most of my time is spent over in the forum games section here on SquidBoards though. :D
To a degree it speaks about the community, but mostly I think it's just that the new Splatfest system was ill thought through before implementing it. It does exactly what it's designed to do, but I don't think what it is designed to do is what they intended to design something to do :) By linking splatfest to ranks they created an actual ranked battle out of TW. I don't think they really intended to make splatfest TW as competitive as ranked, but in making splatfest become about ranks....that is what the design creates.

Add to that a shrinking player base with relatively few actual "noobs" for an online game over a year old on a niche platform, and where "C-" once represented "noob that cant aim" and "S+99" represtented "Splatoon gods and demi-gods", with a small set of players, and mostly only the good players remaining, the gradient is smaller where EVERYONE remaining is just different shades of S more or less, and C- is "noobs that cant' aim + moderately good + S/S+ alts" and S+99 is "gods of the gods" and everything in between is just one giant skill pool. Ranked itself is a mess with that. Throw that into TW where nobody can force a win and you ahve to sit there for the full 3 minute timer in a battle of attrition....yeah, it's not really going to be fun. But at this point for an old game, it's a shrinking community consisting primarily of the hyper-competitive, and those of use that are more casual but can frustratingly hold our own against the hyper competitive. In ranked, they put you out of your misery fast if they're way better. Splatfest....the torture goes on and on and on until the flea bitten cat ends it :P

swamphox

Inkling Cadet
NNID
DawGnar
The complaint about brutal splatfests is based off several factors:

-snails. We all want em and some of us are willing to splat for them. Maybe nintendo could get us another option to get snails. My personal suggestion is defeat dj octavio and get a snail. It requires skill and time and isnt dependent on team mates

-frequency. Splatfest feels like less and less of a fun event and more and more like a contrived sales tool. Less splatfests makes them become more valuable as an event.

-length. 24 hrs is too short imo. Do it from midnight friday night til midnight monday. Time constraints make people play in a more goal oriented manner.

- perhaps everyone is dying to show their ranked prowess and therby feels the need to upgrade their gear to a state of optimization. Why not add a metric or two to ranked matches that allows you to move up if your team loses? Tc: time on tower and number of splats of opponents on the tower rm: time carrying the rainmaker and times splatting the carrier. Sz: pixels inked in zone and "swaps" aka how many times did u cause a zone to go from control to neutral or from neutral to control.

Those metrics represent individual effort towards a goal. While there are support roles that can win games ( protecting your hydra team mate in splatzones comes to mind) those are dependent upon team mates.

Heck, what abt a separate ranked tier where those are the ONLY things that cause u to move up and down

Award

The complaint about brutal splatfests is based off several factors:

-snails. We all want em and some of us are willing to splat for them. Maybe nintendo could get us another option to get snails. My personal suggestion is defeat dj octavio and get a snail. It requires skill and time and isnt dependent on team mates

-frequency. Splatfest feels like less and less of a fun event and more and more like a contrived sales tool. Less splatfests makes them become more valuable as an event.

-length. 24 hrs is too short imo. Do it from midnight friday night til midnight monday. Time constraints make people play in a more goal oriented manner.

- perhaps everyone is dying to show their ranked prowess and therby feels the need to upgrade their gear to a state of optimization. Why not add a metric or two to ranked matches that allows you to move up if your team loses? Tc: time on tower and number of splats of opponents on the tower rm: time carrying the rainmaker and times splatting the carrier. Sz: pixels inked in zone and "swaps" aka how many times did u cause a zone to go from control to neutral or from neutral to control.

Those metrics represent individual effort towards a goal. While there are support roles that can win games ( protecting your hydra team mate in splatzones comes to mind) those are dependent upon team mates.

Heck, what abt a separate ranked tier where those are the ONLY things that cause u to move up and down

Snails: Eww, fighting Octavio is frustrating, annoying, and time consuming. I don't want to do that 24 times to get my snails. If i have to do that I want it to unlock rolling a single slot of my choice! I haven't even been able to convince myself to do that again to get the dynamo on my alts!

I think frequency was fine when it was a fun block party. When they turned it into a bloodthirsty stuggle for squiddy survival the frequency became annoying. But the length, I totally agree, the 24 hour time forces you to take a solid chunk of your 18 or so waking hours and dedicate it at once to the game. The race to get it done FAST is too extreme. the global splatfest day was by far the best with the "two day" open window. That one should have been obvious to them early. But ultimately splatfest should never have been competitive to begin with, it should have been just that, a party game, in a way, not buckling down like it's the final round at CEO for 5 hours.

I like your ranked alterations though. I realize that's all SplaTWOn potential, but all sounds fun on many levels versus the current systems!

Hero of Lime

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Link643
Switch Friend Code
SW-5339-5185-8796.
I would not mind another way to earn snails since Splatfest is kinda bland these days. Maybe you get one or two for every thirty matches (turf or ranked) you play? That would still make it hard to grind for them, but allow for another way to get snails.

Also, getting only 5 snails on the losing team at the third Splatfest rank (I always forget if it's defender or fiend) just ain't right! :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom