• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

NA splatfest! Snowman vs Sandcastle

SquiliamTentacles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Mr_Squigggles
Apparently, there is some new system on the official Splatoon website (the one with the player stats) that shows the top 100 players on each team based on performance. Guess it would be kind of neat, but somewhat pointless if there is no reward for it.

PariPo

Inkling
NNID
KevinS55
I live where snow is rare, and it's much less uncomfortable, so snowman all the way!

Chaos_Knight

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Cha0sKnight
I'm not liking this new matchmaking.

Had a few disconnects on my team.
Teammates are either bad or other team is just too mean/skilled.
Laggy matches

I'm so glad Pokken came out now.

NeoSeth

Senior Squid
Apparently I picked the losing team. I forgot how much I hate Splatfest, jeebus.

LupusFreak

Inkling Cadet
NNID
LupusFreak
It seems that Team Pocket Sand is the more popular team, as I expected. I've faced our team quite a few times. Though I do like the matchmaking. Mainly because i've been in the zone and have been winning most of my matches. It took until I got up to 1500 (started at 1400) for me to really get better teams. I'm having fun, so I don't really care if we lose.

Flareth

Inkling Fleet Admiral

Friends call me Snow Miser, whatever I touch,
Turns to snow in my clutch.
(I'm too much!)

Overall I think this was a success, but the behavior I've seen doesn't give me much confidence that we're all doing so well. One minute they're kicking ***, the next they forget how to ink anything. I don't know if it's just a matter of us getting caught off-guard or what, but I'm not a fan of this schizophrenic team play.

Then again, maybe it's just me.

Minato Arisato

Senior Squid
I got to Sandcastle Queen relatively painlessly. Some unlucky disconnects, but I had quite a few win streaks. Maybe I should play Ranked more, because these poor squids could not deal with strafing. Except those .96 Gal Decos. Seriously, screw those things.

Funny thing is, I have no idea who's going to win this one. I've faced my team a few times, though. That doesn't bode well. Has anyone on Team Snowman had that happen?

chubbypickle

Inkling Cadet
my first squid took me the usual time to max out around 2 1/2 hours so the same as old spaltfest rules. i spent allot of time waiting for frozen players and played my own team allot. my second squid i choose snowman i maxed out in under 2 hours and litterally only lost 5 games, i dunno if i just got lucky and found a good team right away or not. So going to start my last squid soon and going frozen again due to the easier path out of my first 2 squids.

Reila

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Two things about the current Splatfest:

1. The queue times were obnoxiously long the first couple matches. I played two matches in the space of roughly 20 minutes ._.
2. So many "Dad"s and "Daddy"s playing today.

Of Moose & Men

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
MuhFugginMoose

I ended up making it to queen, but I really wanted to capture my inner Fetty Wap.

Aside from that, my gawd, I'm not sure I like this matchmaking. Once I hit the 1700s, finding a Snowman team was near impossible. During my 12-14 1700+ matches I ran into 4 or 5 Snowman teams. The 10 or so Sandcastle matches I went into either took a FULL 2 minutes to get me a match, or just outright disconnected me. Now, that's a good thing for Team Sandcastle as it seems not too many snowmen have made it into the 1700s, BUT, I'm not the most fond of waiting all day just to get a match started, then end up playing against Sandcastle anyways. Not only that, but it was the same 6-7 people EVERY match, regardless of whether I left the lobby or not. It was annoying. So, not only was I waiting 2 minutes to get a match in the first place, but it was the same people every time.

I appreciate them trying to fix up the match making, but this is atrocious. Despite the point buff, it took about as long as it usually does anyways just because of the painful waiting.

blu

Inkling Cadet
NNID
blu_64
I don't know if its because I was tilting so bad going into splatfest or what, but my first matches so far weren't that good. Doesn't help that I wasn't using my preferred weapon either. Every team I was on has lost. Curb stomp. We may have had some advantages in the beginning, but something always went wrong...

will try again today, but oh boy...

Edit: btw how are the teams doing. Did the new matchmaking system make a difference in wins/losses?

Last edited:

SquiliamTentacles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Mr_Squigggles
I have not been doing well, kept on being placed on teams with much weaker splatfest power and the inability to turf well, plus there are a lot of good people on Team Snowman. I had some success with the Dynamo and .96 Gal, yet as I got to Champion, I kept facing Sandcastle over and over again. At least the point system made it a bit easier to get to King.

blu

Inkling Cadet
NNID
blu_64
I have not been doing well, kept on being placed on teams with much weaker splatfest power and the inability to turf well, plus there are a lot of good people on Team Snowman. I had some success with the Dynamo and .96 Gal, yet as I got to Champion, I kept facing Sandcastle over and over again. At least the point system made it a bit easier to get to King.
That's good to hear. I must've been on the not-so-hot side of the snow team. I was just tilting so bad yesterday. The splatfest schedule lied to me about it starting at 11 (daylight savings laughs in my face) and kinda regret wearing out my skill in the hour prior.

xXShadeXx

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-3241-7928-4020
I have never seen so many teleporting people in such a short amount of time. I had a feeling team snowman were gonna be the strong team, but this is ridiculous. So many Inkstrikes, so may laggy instrikes, so many laggy splatting, so many everything bad. The lag got so bad in one match, that literally everyone in the game, minus me randomly exploded, and a player from each team disconnected. Like this is ridiculous.

I've been a Queen for about...four hours now, but I'm continuing to play to aid those who aren't having such a good time, but I'm questioning if I should even continue.

Reila

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I have been winning consistently (not every match, but most), but my Snowman Power still is around 1.2k. I don't get how this thing works.

Zero Meddler

Inkling Cadet
I've been losing a lot of my games sooo... I think it's safe to say that Snowmen lost this one.

Leronne

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Leronne
Switch Friend Code
SW-2169-0003-5242
Screenshot_2016-03-19-13-08-03.png

I made it to the top 100 for sandcastle. It's likely to change by the end, but who knows. This is also the first splatfest where i made it to splatfest king without fully leveling up my splatfest tee, since i level them up during the fest. Overall, really liking this new mechanic. Getting paired up with teams that actually pose a threat instead of steamrolling a team, or getting steamrolled myself. Had a lot of close matches and no spawn camps. I pushed a lot of bubblers in the water on mahi too with my trusty dual :D. Felt so satisfying.

LupusFreak

Inkling Cadet
NNID
LupusFreak
Alright, so I got to 1600 and now i'm facing Team Sandcastle like 70%-80% of the time. It takes a while to find a match too, and there were a few times where a team shows up, then goes away.

Reila

Inkling Fleet Admiral
View attachment 2948
I made it to the top 100 for sandcastle. It's likely to change by the end, but who knows. This is also the first splatfest where i made it to splatfest king without fully leveling up my splatfest tee, since i level them up during the fest. Overall, really liking this new mechanic. Getting paired up with teams that actually pose a threat instead of steamrolling a team, or getting steamrolled myself. Had a lot of close matches and no spawn camps. I pushed a lot of bubblers in the water on mahi too with my trusty dual :D. Felt so satisfying.
That isn't a global top 100, it is only a "friend list top 100". When I check that rank, I am at #4 (or I was, earlier today).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom