• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

NA splatfest! Snowman vs Sandcastle

Bliumage

Inkling
NNID
Bliumage
That isn't a global top 100, it is only a "friend list top 100". When I check that rank, I am at #4 (or I was, earlier today).
He's talking about the trophy next to his name that has 100 inside it. You can only have 100 friends on your list to begin with anyway.

Leronne

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Leronne
Switch Friend Code
SW-2169-0003-5242
That isn't a global top 100, it is only a "friend list top 100". When I check that rank, I am at #4 (or I was, earlier today).
Screenshot_2016-03-19-16-13-51.png

The splatoon tumblr says that the trophy represents the top 100 for all of the splatfest participants. i checked the japanese twitter and it roughly says the same thing.

Babycowland

Semi-Pro Squid
This was probably my worst Splatfest since the first one I did (Burgers vs. Pizza). It was tough for me to string together two wins and I think three was probably my best winning streak. Most of the time I was getting splatted really quickly and I had some of my lowest point totals in months. The games were generally close though and seemed to come down to the last 30 seconds or so a lot. We usually lost, probably because of my poor play, haha.

I thought the matchmaking was fine and much fairer than in past Splatfests. That said, I did feel like there wasn't as much camaraderie among people on my team this time, mainly because I was just playing with people around my rank and it was rare for people to stay in the same squad for long. Well, that was my impression anyway.

Funny thing is, I have no idea who's going to win this one. I've faced my team a few times, though. That doesn't bode well. Has anyone on Team Snowman had that happen?
I only had it happen once on my way to Snowman King, but I don't know how typical that is.

Last edited:

ϛ(°³°)/`

Inkling Commander
This is definitely the worst splatfest ever for me, even the first one where I was level 12 and everyone else was 20, the one where I won maybe 4 games, this is worse. It's nothing but level 50's against me and every one has perfect team composition. If I can go the whole length and NOT break a bone in my fist, it will be nothing short of a miracle.

blu

Inkling Cadet
NNID
blu_64
Ok, I don't like it. Its basically ranked but worse since your rank seems to go down when you quit too, and you have to climb your way up to even play with good teams. That's just too much work, and when I do get to a good team there is no telling if I get to stay with them, or get disconnected. Also anything below 1200 is terrible. I am near breaking A rank, but that doesn't matter if I keep getting paired with C rank players until I get near or break 1200 splatfest power. Thing is because of my current semi-tilt, combined with other factors I probably have no chance in getting to 1200 at this rate because a winning streak under these circumstances in near impossible when you are paired with players that have been playing for a while. Sure when I get a second wind, I can pick up the slack, but those instances unfortunately were circumstantial at best, and even when I did do good it either fell apart in the end, or the next match edges in their favor with the occasional sweep.

It seems to be all the worse aspects of ranked cobbled together in turf war, and I hope I'm able to still get a few good matches in after I take a break from trying to break 1200.

MacSmitty

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Seeker624
Man everybody's having bad experiences with players, disconnects, lag, and other things. I guess I'm just lucky lol. I've had 0 disconnects, about one case of lag, and fought against two team SnowMan's once.

D

Deleted Member

Lol this morning I got rekt so bad... but now this afternoon it's literally an ink bath slaughter house for the snowman team.

SquiliamTentacles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Mr_Squigggles
Judging from the posts, both team seem to suck. May we finally have a balanced splatfest again?

No-Intro-Needed

Inkling
NNID
SuperMario28
I've heard a lot of people had bad experiences with this Splatfest. I had bad experiences as well, most of the disconnects were after the results screen and before the "Battle Again?" screen. I kept getting splatted in many ways that I didn't want to be and I was not having fun at all. Splatfest went from a boring and equally annoying chore to a more annoying and very tedious chore. The fact that Turf Wars now feel like Ranked makes it so I enjoy Splatfest less. Getting to Snowman King was very hard and unenjoyable for me. This would rank as my worst Splatfest beating out the Red vs. Blue Splatfest if I were to lose. My teammates are so bad at this game and whenever we have a match that we look like we could win, my teammates end up choking and letting the other team win.

Sorry I sound so negative, but this Splatfest just didn't do it for me.

Minato Arisato

Senior Squid
I feel for you guys. The only times I felt I had a decent match was when I went up against players of higher rank. Because when you consistently splat the entire opposing team, you know it's bad. It got to the point where when I was finally taken down, I would look at the map and internally scream, "Oh please don't tell me you guys are useless without me..."

I have an alt account where I pick the opposing team and they did better there. If I got splatted, they could usually take care of themselves for a while. Maybe Team Snowman might take this one.

Flareth

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Gott im Himmel... it's a slaughterhouse out there. Maybe I just got lucky with my teammates, but I decided to play for fun earlier this morning and we utterly devastated all Sand Castles in our path.

Well, okay, that's not totally true. Plenty of times we'd get off to a bad start, but unlike yesterday we were able to kick some *** and stage a comeback if needed. Then we'd be secure in our lead. Much better than the last few Splatfests.

Funnily enough, not one of those 14-odd matches was played on Museum d'Alfonsino. Not that I'm complaining, but it had me convinced they took it out of the rotation.

LupusFreak

Inkling Cadet
NNID
LupusFreak
This was probably one of the better splatfests i've had. Minus the waiting time and facing my own team half the time, most of the matches seemed either balanced or in our favor. I only had one disconnect, and it was on the results screen. I ended at 1668 I think. I'm glad I got out of the lower levels quickly, I probably would've had a bad time like many of the other squids here.

Oh yeah, I also really liked the map rotation. Though I got Alfonsino like 50% of the time, and Arowana and Mahi-Mahi are my favorites.

Dynamite

Inkling
NNID
DynoDuck
I started out playing pretty badly, but when I reached Snowman Defender I started to play decently. Then at one point from Defender to Champion I managed to get paired up with some great players and got on a 10 game winning streak. After the 10th win we got disconnected (it was bound to happen sooner or later). From Champion to King I also played decently. No long win streaks, but from this point on I was winning most of my matches.

My Snowman Power reached 1488. I kinda forgot what my Power ranking was before I started. I'm an A- so I think I started at either 1300 or 1400 points. Does anyone know what the Power ranking starts you with if your ranking is an A-?

Overall, I had fun even though I had about 9 disconnections. I had no mirror matches, but both teams seem to be equal in skill from what I've experienced.

Inyo

Inkling Cadet
NNID
SurfGreenGibby
Pretty good Splatfest for me. All the matches were interesting with only a few curb stomps either way, no mirrors (I'm Team Snowman), and the stuff they added to the team intros is pretty neat.

Old Splatfest was kinda boring, new Splatfest is more dynamic and also takes less time since you earn more points for winning if you do well. I was earning 7 points per win, not sure if that's the max, though I got to 1500 something so maybe higher powers get more points

Award

Squid Savior From the Future
I've got to be honest, this Splatfest was quite possibly the single worst video game experience I have had in my life. And that encompasses a LOT of video game experience since the original SMB launched.

I was busy for much of the day so I got home with about 4 hours to spend on Splatfest. I was looking forward to it. I really live Splatfest and always look forward to spending ALL day on Splatfest. It was disapointing that didn't get to spend much time on this one, but I figured 4 hours should still be enough to max my main ,and maybe get SOMETHING going for my new alt which has only 1 slot gear.

The end result was catastrophically miserable. Long wait times (Sandcastle) to find Snowman matches. 6 or so mirror matches. One player disconnecting or idling every few games. Teleportation lag on the enemy team fairly frequently (I watch a player appear on 3 different islands of mahi without ever jumping, before appearing back on my base's ramp and splatting me.) Frequent disconnects on the stat screen, presumably rage quitters. I don't know if the new matchmaker just likes to screw me the way it does in ranked by delivering me to the underdog team again and again, or if Team Sandcastle sucked beyond suckage. I happened to WIN every mirror match and lose the majority of matches against snowman, which tells me Team Sandcastle was probably sucking overall. Overall out of all the matches i played tonight (what, 30, 40?) I won less than 20% of them.

The meta was weird for TW. Eliters, splatterscopes, dynamos, and blasters everywhere. Few inking weapons beyond some inkbrushes, splattershots etc. However even as an eliter main who also mains dyamo, I did not see much succes with these weapons - anytime I tried eliter I'd get a second charger on my team, no turfing, and we'd just get flanked all match. Snowman made it work, but I could not.

I changed between about 9 weapons during the course, failing in general with MOST of my ranked mains and my normal TW mains. I did the best with sploosh, and finally settled on a weapon I never play and utterly deplore: Tentatek/octoshot to play the majority of rounds. TTK in TW? WTF? Let alone ME playing TTK who never plays it and generally dislikes it. My usual Aero MG was as worthless in this TW splatfest as it is in TC. This made no sense. I've never played TTK in ranked....heck, I play INKBRUSH, in A+ & S matches often these days.

The sense of always being on an underdog team, and losing almost every match as the timer runs out, and the worst, securing a lead, holding the leat, only to get splatted with 10 seconds on the clock and then LOSING because the team could not hold it alone, across dozens of matches renders a game quite opposite of fun.

Of note, I was playing in the FINAL 4 hours...maybe the problem was that all the alts were leveling up and the matchmaker was confused. But from a sheer gameplay perspective, the entire experience was the OPPOSITE of fun. Nintendo usually asks "is it fun" as its criteria for making a game. The answer to that question today was :No, it's not.

If it was just that Team Sandcastle sucked, then the problem is that the new system didn't actually SOLVE anything. The experience is still awful for the bad team. If the problem is that the new system broke splatfest, it's something much worse.

FWIW, I DID get my King status.....to the very last 99th point.....by winning the VERY last match before Breaking News ended Splatfest. That's not a very good way to have to end it - and a loss would have yielded missing by only a handful of points.

I was one of the biggest fans of Splatfest, but after this one I may absolutely despise it. :(

megatoon

Inkling
NNID
megamegasaurus
Dang I feel like I was doing so good! My snowmen still lost!

This was only my second splatfest and I barely played for the first one. This one was bomb

Kurogal

Inkling
NNID
LaharlOnKonata
I think this was my best Splatfest so far.

I stared at 1200 ( I'm C- since I haven't touched rank yet). The only thing that even stopped me from climbing higher was the fact that matchmaking slowed to an insane crawl after 1800. Like one match every 10-15 minutes. And at the way end on top of that I was only put into Snow Vs Snow matches.
Surprising that Snow was more popular, I was thinking Sandcastles were more popular right up until the +1800 Matchmaking showed me the truth.

Besides that, it was insanely fun. Other Splatfests felt like a chore after a certain point because the teams I'd be put into would always be super lopsided one way or another. This time, after I got into the 1500 tier (on that, there seems to be a split every 100 Power points) every single match was intense except for the rare occasion I get a teamate, but finding good teams if I needed a replacement was also easy until the 1700 and 1800 area.

ϛ(°³°)/`

Inkling Commander
I've got to be honest, this Splatfest was quite possibly the single worst video game experience I have had in my life. And that encompasses a LOT of video game experience since the original SMB launched.

I was busy for much of the day so I got home with about 4 hours to spend on Splatfest. I was looking forward to it. I really live Splatfest and always look forward to spending ALL day on Splatfest. It was disapointing that didn't get to spend much time on this one, but I figured 4 hours should still be enough to max my main ,and maybe get SOMETHING going for my new alt which has only 1 slot gear.

The end result was catastrophically miserable. Long wait times (Sandcastle) to find Snowman matches. 6 or so mirror matches. One player disconnecting or idling every few games. Teleportation lag on the enemy team fairly frequently (I watch a player appear on 3 different islands of mahi without ever jumping, before appearing back on my base's ramp and splatting me.) Frequent disconnects on the stat screen, presumably rage quitters. I don't know if the new matchmaker just likes to screw me the way it does in ranked by delivering me to the underdog team again and again, or if Team Sandcastle sucked beyond suckage. I happened to WIN every mirror match and lose the majority of matches against snowman, which tells me Team Sandcastle was probably sucking overall. Overall out of all the matches i played tonight (what, 30, 40?) I won less than 20% of them.

The meta was weird for TW. Eliters, splatterscopes, dynamos, and blasters everywhere. Few inking weapons beyond some inkbrushes, splattershots etc. However even as an eliter main who also mains dyamo, I did not see much succes with these weapons - anytime I tried eliter I'd get a second charger on my team, no turfing, and we'd just get flanked all match. Snowman made it work, but I could not.

I changed between about 9 weapons during the course, failing in general with MOST of my ranked mains and my normal TW mains. I did the best with sploosh, and finally settled on a weapon I never play and utterly deplore: Tentatek/octoshot to play the majority of rounds. TTK in TW? WTF? Let alone ME playing TTK who never plays it and generally dislikes it. My usual Aero MG was as worthless in this TW splatfest as it is in TC. This made no sense. I've never played TTK in ranked....heck, I play INKBRUSH, in A+ & S matches often these days.

The sense of always being on an underdog team, and losing almost every match as the timer runs out, and the worst, securing a lead, holding the leat, only to get splatted with 10 seconds on the clock and then LOSING because the team could not hold it alone, across dozens of matches renders a game quite opposite of fun.

Of note, I was playing in the FINAL 4 hours...maybe the problem was that all the alts were leveling up and the matchmaker was confused. But from a sheer gameplay perspective, the entire experience was the OPPOSITE of fun. Nintendo usually asks "is it fun" as its criteria for making a game. The answer to that question today was :No, it's not.

If it was just that Team Sandcastle sucked, then the problem is that the new system didn't actually SOLVE anything. The experience is still awful for the bad team. If the problem is that the new system broke splatfest, it's something much worse.

FWIW, I DID get my King status.....to the very last 99th point.....by winning the VERY last match before Breaking News ended Splatfest. That's not a very good way to have to end it - and a loss would have yielded missing by only a handful of points.

I was one of the biggest fans of Splatfest, but after this one I may absolutely despise it. :(
You just described my Splatfest experience to the last letter. I found it was nothing but Dynamos and E-Litres (the two weapons that splat me the most), I alternated between so many weapons and ultimately lost with all of them, I settled on the Octoshot at the very end for my last match and won it, I won less than 15-20% of my matches, all opposing teams seemed to have perfect composition, and it was generally a miserable time. The only difference is that I finished with a few hours to spare.

At least my side won, so I have a few extra gear slots to my name.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom