Next US Splatfest: Pirates VS Ninjas

LMG

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Somehow made it to Ninja Champion. I'll go ahead and take a break from Splatoon for a couple of days to heal my sore throat and my aching head :confused:

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
Well my Pirate expedition last night was not so great. Made it to Pirate King, but my So Hawt rating is not even above 10. The lag was just so unbearable, tis why I didn't continue playing after reaching King, but hopefully it'll be better today. Just don't understand how regional lag can be so much worse than worldwide, Nintendo please fix!

Zero Meddler

Inkling Cadet
=/ Haven't fought too many Pirates. Most of my games have been coming from mirror matches. I should've went with my gut and picked Pirate. At least I would've had more fun that way. XD

MrL1193

Inkling Cadet
Pirates will win for the same reason Team Car won. Most people picked Team Ninja and Team Pirate doesn't have to face the strongest Ninja teams - those fight each other, while weak Ninja teams face Team Pirate.
And your reason for believing this is...what, exactly? How do you know that the strong Ninja teams aren't the ones facing team Pirate and the weak Ninja teams aren't the ones facing each other? The matchmaking RNG isn't secretly trying to give Pirates an advantage; if most of the Ninja teams that face Pirates are weak, it's because most people on Team Ninja in general are weak.

Feryn Hyrk

Full Squid
I don't get the "less number = greater good player ratio " it sounds a bit right when I read it but after thinking about it doesn't make sense.

I read this topic, saw that Pirates are likely to win but stil I choosed Niinjas because I think are cooler despite poor represensation nowadays.
And also because I still think that despite actual data that Pirates team are doing better, the hypothesis you are using seems wrong.

Nowadays Ninjas remind Naruto wich is popular among kids and Pirates, while may remind One Piece, afect older audience because of Johnny Depp pirate movies.

Still I don't regret now, but if next splatfest is about random things that I don't care much I'll try to predict where kids will go to choose the other one.

Please, can someone explain the "less number = greater good player ratio" more?

Cyrus Dark

Full Squid
NNID
Geprodis
I don't get the "less number = greater good player ratio " it sounds a bit right when I read it but after thinking about it doesn't make sense.

I read this topic, saw that Pirates are likely to win but stil I choosed Niinjas because I think are cooler despite poor represensation nowadays.
And also because I still think that despite actual data that Pirates team are doing better, the hypothesis you are using seems wrong.

Nowadays Ninjas remind Naruto wich is popular among kids and Pirates, while may remind One Piece, afect older audience because of Johnny Depp pirate movies.

Still I don't regret now, but if next splatfest is about random things that I don't care much I'll try to predict where kids will go to choose the other one.

There is a chance that the best Team Ninja players will never face a Pirate Team. All of Team Pirate's best players are always fighting Ninjas.

Of Moose & Men

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
MuhFugginMoose
Well, no one really can cause it's not true. Even age doesn't necessarily mean more skill. I believe Pirates is more decked out, but that's just because of my own experience and from what I've gathered from other peoples experiences. That's not to say there aren't great Ninja players, we just haven't ran into them. However, there's nothing actually saying Pirates are better, or even that we will necessarily win. It's just based on the way things are going, it's looking like we will be.

Feryn Hyrk

Full Squid
There is a chance that the best Team Ninja players will never face a Pirate Team. All of Team Pirate's best players are always fighting Ninjas.
But there is also a chance that the Pirates are always facing better Ninja Teams while the weak Ninjas are fighting themselves... or even fighting better ones since there is so much more Ninjas wich makes the pool of good players very big.

GreenSpiny

Full Squid
More players doesn't mean worse players. If anything, more players just adds RNG because its random whether the say, good ninja teams or bad ninja teams get to fight the pirates. Unless they balance it out in matchmaking somehow.

Age is the main thing to consider I think, because different ages might gravitate to certain teams. So if you really want to debate chances...
- Are younger kids less skilled?
- Are younger kids more likely to stop playing after they've reached King / Queen level?

I don't know for sure. It may be huge, or make no difference at all.

The ΩS

Retired
NNID
Renwin
But there is also a chance that the Pirates are always facing better Ninja Teams while the weak Ninjas are fighting themselves... or even fighting better ones since there is so much more Ninjas wich makes the pool of good players very big.
Somewhat, but that wasn't happening as much a few hours after it began. Seem like there was at least one or more skilled Ninjas players regardless of opponents, predominately on lesser skilled ones. When I was on my alt for my Ninja run, that's all I was facing 3/4 of my matches and lost pretty hard.

This is definitely in Ninja's popularity, but it's still up in the air for actual wins. But unlike Planes, devotion to Ninja is bigger due to its name. So seeing more decent skilled assassins this time around won't make this clear cut win for me buccaneers.

Hero of Lime

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Link643
Switch Friend Code
SW-5339-5185-8796.
Team Pirate person here.

I know Team Ninja has a lot more players, but I've been battling a lot of really good Ninja teams. So far I've had very few blowout wins on my side, I've had to really give it my all to get a lot of my wins. This has been a much more difficult Splatfest for me in general. It did not help that I stayed with a team who was not very good for a while. One teammate and I were doing very well, but the other two really brought us down if we were up against a tough team, which happened quite a lot.

I hope you other Pirates have been more successful out there. Just remember that I curse every team I'm on. So if Team Pirates loses, let me apologize in advance. :oops:

ZypkerGaming

Inkling Cadet
NNID
ZypkerGaming
EVERY Japanese Splatfest has won by popularity alone so far.
Art/Science is the only NA splatfest to have done this
Rock/Pop and Messy/Tidy are the only EU splatfests to have done this.

Every other splatfest has had popularity fail them including the close Planes vs Cars one.
Correlation =/= Causation my friend.

The ΩS

Retired
NNID
Renwin
Team Pirate person here.

I know Team Ninja has a lot more players, but I've been battling a lot of really good Ninja teams. So far I've had very few blowout wins on my side, I've had to really give it my all to get a lot of my wins. This has been a much more difficult Splatfest for me in general. It did not help that I stayed with a team who was not very good for a while. One teammate and I were doing very well, but the other two really brought us down if we were up against a tough team, which happened quite a lot.

I hope you other Pirates have been more successful out there. Just remember that I curse every team I'm on. So if Team Pirates loses, let me apologize in advance. :oops:
Don't think of your losing streak as a curse. Think of it as constant miscalculations that's fixable through observations of previous conclusions. You been voting to what you like instead of voting to who is more likely to win. Even if Pirates lose this, it'll take a lot more than one person for us to lose. Bad luck isn't always swinging in a single direction.

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
I'm +40 now, maybe we have a chance afterall!? As for why popularity usually means less wins, it's simply because the best teams on the popular side are not always going to play the other team, whereas the less popular side's best teams always will. Last Splatfest I only played Team Car 40% of the time, so couldn't make much of a difference there, but this time I've played only Ninjas bar one game, so I can make more of an impact. Hope all that made sense!

Feryn Hyrk

Full Squid
As for why popularity usually means less wins, it's simply because the best teams on the popular side are not always going to play the other team, whereas the less popular side's best teams always will.
But you're forgetting that if a team is bigger, the amount of pro players can be just enough to provide the few pool of good pirates while still having enough pro ninja teams that would crush the weak pirates

It doesnt matter that Pirates have 5 top level professional players that will be fighting frequently if there is 10 top level professional ninja players that will fight both the 5 top team pirates and sill have room for 5 weak team ninjas. Or even 5 weak pirates.

Hero of Lime

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Link643
Switch Friend Code
SW-5339-5185-8796.
Don't think of your losing streak as a curse. Think of it as constant miscalculations that's fixable through observations of previous conclusions. You been voting to what you like instead of voting to who is more likely to win. Even if Pirates lose this, it'll take a lot more than one person for us to lose. Bad luck isn't always swinging in a single direction.
Oh I know, but it's so demoralizing to lose after usually doing very well. Now in this Splatfest, I'm doing kinda bad, so I feel like I'm failing my team, when I usually felt like an asset.

I'm +40 now, maybe we have a chance afterall!? As for why popularity usually means less wins, it's simply because the best teams on the popular side are not always going to play the other team, whereas the less popular side's best teams always will. Last Splatfest I only played Team Car 40% of the time, so couldn't make much of a difference there, but this time I've played only Ninjas bar one game, so I can make more of an impact. Hope all that made sense!
Excellent work! Maybe my next play time will be more fruitful.

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
But you're forgetting that if a team is bigger, the amount of pro players can be just enough to provide the few pool of good pirates while still having enough pro ninja teams that would crush the weak pirates

It doesnt matter that Pirates have 5 top level professional players that will be fighting frequently if there is 10 top level professional ninja players that will fight both the 5 top team pirates and sill have room for 5 weak team ninjas. Or even 5 weak pirates.
Eh, I guess that would explain when a team wins both categorys. Well now I'm not confident I'll get my first win again, thanks. xP

Feryn Hyrk

Full Squid
The good thing is that in the end both teams that go Queen/King receive a fair amount of shells

magfive

Inkling
NNID
magfive
As a ninja squid supporter, I had the fastest run to king of any splatfest so far. I had a great team I was with from the beginning till 50 points into Champion. We lost very few battles and had a 25 win streak at one point. We did play quite a few mirror matches, but more vs Pirate squads and won most of them. I'm not saying this to brag, but to bring some hope to the Ninja supporters out there who think it may be another planes/cars scenario.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom