[North America] NEW SPLATFEST: Team Past Travel vs. Team Future Travel!

Team Past or Team Future?

• Travel to the past

Votes: 50 46.7%
  • Travel to the future

Votes: 40 37.4%
  • Undecided/screw Splatfests I'm salty

Votes: 17 15.9%

• Total voters

PrinceOfKoopas

Inkling Commander
NNID
PrinceOfKoopas
I only got disconnects in the lobby after the match ended.

So I started with a 7 win streak and I'm like, "It's Team Naughty all over again whoo!" And then I lost over and over yikes.

Eventually, I got to King with +9 vibe. Got disconnected immediately after I reached King so I didn't get to show my teammates...

I decided I'm going to keep playing until I lose a match, and given what I went through, it should be over fast.
So I finished with +34.5 vibe sticking with one group of folks the whole time (me, two folks who were king and queen, and one slot that was unreliable of basically Champions) until I finally lost. No disconnects.

Lots of spawn-camping. :o

In one match we got the other team to 3.7% and they had all their players for at least most of the match!

Flareth

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I only had a single in-match disconnect, and that was the second match of the Splatfest. Every other time (which wasn't often), it was in the lobby.

With how much luck I and the other Ammonites/Past Squids have had, I will be very surprised if the Future Squids can make a comeback.

chubbypickle

Inkling Cadet
i had a hard time finding a crew to stick with in team future and half the games i played against team future.............
not sure how this will play out i did have 1 match on hammerhead got the other team at 2.2 percent a personal record
only ended up with a plus 7 i usually have closer to plus 20 on splatfest but this time like i said was tuff to find a good crew so many aerosprays and rollers just not a good mix

Joseph Staleknight

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
JStaleknight
Switch Friend Code
SW-1169-3473-1031
I did see a Future Inkling cause a ton of weird lag with his laggy roller and he splatted me with it, but then he poofed in the vengeance camera and disconnected and we easily won the match.

I guess Internet connections actually get worse in the future.
Man, that would be a horrible future!

JuddTheCat

Inkling Cadet
Team Past.
Didn't have a hard time this Splatfest. I noticed that most of the squidbaggers are on Team Future, so Team Past might win.

SupaTim

Prodigal Squid
NNID
SupaTim101
I haven't gotten to royalty yet, but the climb to champion has been relatively painless.

EXCEPT for the horrendous lag. I was doing really well when I ran into a fantastic Future team who was able to spawn camp us. No matter what I did I could not splat anyone. I was right up on them, flanking, pumped them with a bunch of shots...nope, I'm splatted. Double burst bomb to their face? Nope, I'm splatted. I get super frustrated when basic mechanics in the game don't work (like, three-year-old level tantrum). I foolishly thought it was their team being laggy, so I stayed, despite the curbstomb. Then the next match was even worse, inkzookas hitting me from around corners, teleporting players, etc. I had to get out of that lobby.

Once I did, it was better and I was significantly less pissy.

Now that I'm champion and it seems like past has this in the bag, I might change weapons and goof a little (still try to win though) on my way to royalty.

Last edited:

SquiliamTentacles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Mr_Squigggles
Got to king, with still only 3 losses. Found a team of 3 Dynamo rollers and a Kelp Splat Charger, we destroyed other teams.

Eventually, my family wanted the TV and I decided to just play on the pad. Somehow, we won the next three games without even looking at the screen, and I got the 400p requirement. Team Future must be bad.

Gameboy224

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Gameboy224
Yah, Future I've seen a huge fluctuation of player skill. Even had matches where we were able to completely spawn camp Past players. Others my teams could be pretty horrendous. Usually when we lost I ended up being an outlier with a fair number more kills or the only one with a net gain in kills, even in wins matches. The future is clear we aren't winning this one.

Still no ragrets.

Never used Sea Snails for anything anyways, unless I just wants some extra slots on a piece I like.

Kausus

Inkling
NNID
Kausus
Switch Friend Code
SW-3782-1311-5237
Team Future here.

I didn't have any disconnects while I was playing, but I got so discouraged with the losing streak I just put the game down once I hit level 44. It was constantly me and 3 other sub-20 squids versus a full team of 30s-40s and in one case there were two level 50 players on the opposing team. I think I won four or five matches versus Past. It's been a while since I haven't hit max rank in a fest but this is the first time I've actively chosen to just stop playing out of frustration. :confused:

Zero Meddler

Inkling Cadet
WVW69iyzVkYtF2wOM9.jpg

The Jr. served me well once again. Seriously, I had a k/d of at least +8 each game. It. Was. Utter. Slaughter. I had a few losses but +24 works for me. It's my best vibe ever. XD

On an unrelated note, ever plug headphones in the game pad and listen to the game's audio? I love it. The rapid fire weapons sound sooo... awesome.

Dynamite

Inkling
NNID
DynoDuck
I think I did pretty well this Splatfest. I won most of my matches and only got disconnected twice, but those disconnections occurred before and after the match. It took about 4 and a half hours to reach Past King, and my vibe is at +20.5. Team Future weren't pushovers though. In fact I ran into a good number of highly skilled Team Futures.

Silxer

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Dan1771
On an unrelated note, ever plug headphones in the game pad and listen to the game's audio? I love it. The rapid fire weapons sound sooo... awesome.
Not yet, but I've heard that helps a ton with general awareness. Like being able to react to an enemy trying to flank you just because you heard an enemy inkling swimming towards you from behind due to the headphones.

I'll try that the next time I play and see how it goes.

Award

Squid Savior From the Future
Last night and this morning it was super easy on team Past - continuous win streaks with an outlying loss here and there, most games were total shutouts. None of the players seemed awful on either side, but the one was just always better - better enough to end up spawncamping Future.

By afternoon the tables turned and I saw long losing streaks followed by an occasional win. The odd things is the matchups seemed favorable for us on paper. Rooms of mostly lvl 35-ish players against rooms of teens and twenties, yet the teens and 20's were winning - Plaza said they're Cs & Bs - but they didn't move like Cs & Bs I've seen. I'm guessing the upper crust players got their main accounts up to royalty in the AM, then brought their alts in later - alts that are still in lower ranks and lower levels and they get placed in lower room. Other than that, it's the first time in WEEKS that I got to play TW without being crammed against unlimited S/S+ teams.

I was running aero then carbon since they're TW friendly. Reached King by late morning though, coasted my last 15pts 2pts at a time. The losing streak continued for a while, then picked up. Then when I switched to the eliters when I didn't care about turfing as much, the cracks of Team Past showed. I had a few bad rounds, we got overrun, there was an S or 2 on the other team. I broke even or had negative k/d- ok, it happens.

Then rounds I did well. 7/0 kind of well. We're talking lvl30-something players. But the team was painting NOTHING. I'd see one of them at the enemy spawn, alone, I'd see another one or two trying to ink the enemy base. I'd be left alone defending, and the enemy team would gang up 3-4 at a time on me - and my team would STILL not return to ink the base. It would be bare ground, and then by the end the entire map would be solidly the enemy colors. It's kind of hard for an eliter to 1v4. But I switched between all 4 eliter models and the splatterscope/splt charger. I did have a FEW good rounds, but it was becoming clear, if I did not ink the turf myself, the turf was not going to be inked. So I went back to Carbon & Aerospray in the evening, and sure enough, we started winning again.

I also discovered I'm shockingly good with an Aerospray MG. Now I have ANOTHER main. :confused: I liked it back in the early days for me, but "moved past it" since it was mostly a crutch as an inker. Turns out it's a heck of a fighter too - and seekers aren't nearly as awful as I'd remembered.

So Team Past, from my matchmaking experience consisted of some very good killers who wouldn't be able to figure out how to paint in a Sherwin Williams factory.

There were a few oddities. Matchmaker was awful as usual. I had one round of all lvl40 somethings with myself on eliter. Our opponents were all noobs under level 9. One of them was named "mommy". It went about how you'd expect. After two of use were at around 5/0 I noticed all of us just kind of pulled back to within our upper base and just kind of stayed there running the clock out. That was just cruel.

The other was the laaaa

aaaag. @SupaTim was very very right about that. Splat bombs were my nemesis too. I switched from aero to Carbon after I got to royalty, and I was doing REALLY bad. 3/7 kind of bad. This thing is one of my MAINS and my opponents are lvl20-somethings and I normally take this thing against S's - that should NOT happen. Granted, I've only adopted it as a main in the past month, but it's a main all the same.

And then I realized what was wrong. Burst bombs did NOTHING. I'd through 3, 4, 5, recover some ink 6 - NOTHING. I rely on them in enough situations that not getting the expected kill is a guaranteed splat for me. I'd hit at least one maybe two direct, then the rest still had the AoE sound. And nothing. And these guys were not wearing armor up. And I had 2 main and 3 sub dmg ups. Two should have offed them. Three should have scattered them. Apparently five does nothing at all to them. I was routinely missing splats and getting splatted instead due to running out of ink. Also, the times when I'd go to hit someone with the roller, and I saw them visibly teleport to either side of me 4 times before they finally splatted me after I was just flinging and flinging. Or the eliter I chased down with it that I hit no less than 5 times while nothing happened, only for him to teleport halfway down the hall in Hammerhead. But most of the lag was worst on Piranha and we've discussed some map specific lag issues there in the Piranha thread. What's weird is this is worse lag than I see with Japanese players (which is bad enough.)

Hangs on the stat screen were also common. There was this weird lag before the "Yeah!/Nope" screen displayed where it would hang there for a long time and I'd think "uh oh - other times it would get the "an error has occurred" screen. I presume the host player quit, but I've never seen that type of error at that point in the status or the long stalls before continuing.

I did get, especially near the end of the fest, a wave of "too close to call" matches, where several wins were down to tenths of a percent. I wish every round were like that!

All in all a good Splatfest at least on Team Past. The player base always has its weakness (Seriously Judd needs to sit these squiddos down for a manditory lecture on the meaning of BASE DEFENSE.) Had big wins, big losses, close calls, and even when my team was REEALLY bad, they STILL weren't as bad as my ranked teams!

Award

Team Future here.

I didn't have any disconnects while I was playing, but I got so discouraged with the losing streak I just put the game down once I hit level 44. It was constantly me and 3 other sub-20 squids versus a full team of 30s-40s and in one case there were two level 50 players on the opposing team. I think I won four or five matches versus Past. It's been a while since I haven't hit max rank in a fest but this is the first time I've actively chosen to just stop playing out of frustration. :confused:
To be fair, some of us teams of 40-50's on Team Past got hosed by teams of lv20's from Team Future ;) I got a lot of teams with teens and single digits too. Then there was the one with the level 1....who painted the walls...oh dear...

Award

Not yet, but I've heard that helps a ton with general awareness. Like being able to react to an enemy trying to flank you just because you heard an enemy inkling swimming towards you from behind due to the headphones.

I'll try that the next time I play and see how it goes.
I used to play most games that way but switched just for convenience and comfort the the trashy in-monitor speakers, but yeah, I've tried it, and the sound design in this game really is spectacular! There's all kinds of little sounds and detail you might miss over normal speakers.

GlitchDeity

Inkling
NNID
DekuMask
Got to king, with still only 3 losses. Found a team of 3 Dynamo rollers and a Kelp Splat Charger, we destroyed other teams.

Eventually, my family wanted the TV and I decided to just play on the pad. Somehow, we won the next three games without even looking at the screen, and I got the 400p requirement. Team Future must be bad.
Wait, you did what?! Haha, that's crazy.
Yeah, I was being matched up against really bad teams all day, too. Kinda gets old.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom