[North America] NEW SPLATFEST: Team Past Travel vs. Team Future Travel!

Team Past or Team Future?

• Travel to the past

Votes: 50 46.7%
  • Travel to the future

Votes: 40 37.4%
  • Undecided/screw Splatfests I'm salty

Votes: 17 15.9%

• Total voters

Of Moose & Men

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
MuhFugginMoose
No, wins decide who the winner is. As it should be.

This idea of "the least popular team always wins" is a product of our own doing. It's so heavily embedded into everyones brain that you pick the "least popular team" and you win. Don't blame Nintendo, blame your peers. Splatfests are meant to be choose the team you prefer, and enjoy. Leave it to us to suck the fun out of things.

LimitCrown

Full Squid
NNID
LimitCrown

This idea of "the least popular team always wins" is a product of our own doing. It's so heavily embedded into everyones brain that you pick the "least popular team" and you win. Don't blame Nintendo, blame your peers. Splatfests are meant to be choose the team you prefer, and enjoy. Leave it to us to suck the fun out of things.
I doubt that. Because of the 6x multiplier, small differences in win percentages can offset moderate popularity differences very easily despite the fact that win percentages like 52%/48% are very close to each other. If you haven't noticed, people choose which team they want to support, which was supposed to make Splatfests partially a popularity contest. Those who complained about Splatfests reportedly putting too much emphasis on popularity in the first Splatfest were upset that Team Cats's meager 51% win percentage wasn't enough to offset the 62% popularity that Team Dogs had. Don't put the blame solely on other people for how the 6x multiplier makes it easy to determine which team will win.

Last edited:

Of Moose & Men

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
MuhFugginMoose
I doubt that. Because of the 6x multiplier, small differences in win percentages can offset moderate popularity differences very easily despite the fact that win percentages like 52%/48% are very close to each other. If you haven't noticed, people choose which team they want to support, which was supposed to make Splatfests partially a popularity contest. Those who complained about Splatfests reportedly putting too much emphasis on popularity in the first Splatfest were upset that Team Cats's meager 51% win percentage wasn't enough to offset the 62% win percentage that Team Dogs had. Don't put the blame solely on other people for how the 6x multiplier makes it easy to determine which team will win.
Well, we can agree the x6 multiplier might over do it, but in contrary to what you've said, its addition is clearly showing that it isn't meant to be a popularity contest. If it were, they would have likely dropped it again. Regardless, I'll give you that one, fine they should drop it.

Gotta ask though, you doubt what? That the mindset of people so desperate for snails isn't what decides these splatfests?
This isn't a squidboards exclusive thought process. It's on /r/Splatoon, all over Youtube, and even people I work with and buddies back home decide their team entirely on what team is less popular. I don't, which is why I have a few losses under my belt, because I can enjoy it for what it's worth.

I personally don't think Popularity should play a factor at all, but what do I know? Amirite.

Again, you don't see Countries winning in the World Cup because of how many fans there are in the stands. Don't see why this would be any different.
It's meant to be somewhat competitive, not a popularity contest.

But, maybe that's just me.

SpaceCanary

Full Squid
NNID
SpaceCanary

Yep. I was just about to say something similar. In the early days, people voted for who they wanted to vote for. For example, Marshmallows vs. Hot Dogs had the more popular team winning, because the good players weren't trying to deliberately pick the less popular team. They were evenly distributed. Then along came Autobots vs. Decepticons, which kind of pooled all the kids into one team. Every player worth his or her salt figured this out, and now we're all trying to pick the less popular side. We're making it win. Maybe if we all went with our hearts instead of with our guts, we'd have a better Splatfest.

Gameboy224

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Gameboy224

Splatfests are equally a competition of popularity as they are a competitive of battle. Putting the multiplier at 6x gives way too much power to wins that popularity might as well not exist. The idea of the minority teams having a lead in wins isn't just a baseless theory, the mentality has been ingrained in NA and is in a way perpetuating itself only making it worse. 4x was a fair balance between giving wins the advantage but not neglecting popularity as a factor.

(Also, anybody still salty over Cats v Dogs, Dogs still would've won with a 4x or 6x multiplier. But that was back when people didn't care about majority or minority teams.)

The ΩS

Retired
NNID
Renwin
Well, we can agree the x6 multiplier might over do it, but in contrary to what you've said, its addition is clearly showing that it isn't meant to be a popularity contest. If it were, they would have likely dropped it again. Regardless, I'll give you that one, fine they should drop it.

Gotta ask though, you doubt what? That the mindset of people so desperate for snails isn't what decides these splatfests?
This isn't a squidboards exclusive thought process. It's on /r/Splatoon, all over Youtube, and even people I work with and buddies back home decide their team entirely on what team is less popular. I don't, which is why I have a few losses under my belt, because I can enjoy it for what it's worth.

I personally don't think Popularity should play a factor at all, but what do I know? Amirite.

Again, you don't see Countries winning in the World Cup because of how many fans there are in the stands. Don't see why this would be any different.

That analogy makes no sense since the voters are not the players on the field. Splatfests were a mix of popularity and skill, but thanks to the increasing win rate multiplier, now it's just more of who's less vocal. In which that goes completely against the idea of the mix. Seriously, there's no point to it now. It maybe us players fault for saying this, but it's Nintendo fault for listening without looking at the bigger picture of it effecting certain regions in a long run.

LimitCrown

Full Squid
NNID
LimitCrown

If popularity wasn't factored into the results for the Splatfest, then there wouldn't really be any incentive to voting for the team that you like the most. It would ruin the entire point of Splatfests. It arguably doesn't play much of a role anymore.

Last edited:

Of Moose & Men

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
MuhFugginMoose
That analogy makes no sense since the voters are not the players on the field. Splatfests were a mix of popularity and skill, but thanks to the increasing win rate multiplier, now it's just more of who's less vocal. In which that goes completely against the idea of the mix. Seriously, there's no point to it now. It maybe us players fault for saying this, but it's Nintendo fault for listening without looking at the bigger picture of it effecting certain regions in a long run.
Sigh. . . Then it isn't decided by the number of players on that team.
Didn't think I'd have people take it so literally. . .

PrinceOfKoopas

Inkling Commander
NNID
PrinceOfKoopas

So I like how Team Past wins the poll by a landslide during and after the Splatfest, but it was pretty close before it started.

Leronne

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Leronne
Switch Friend Code
SW-2169-0003-5242
Wrong, except for two splatfests, this has always been the case.
5 out of 9 european splatfests were won by the popular team and 7 out of 9 japanese splatfests were won by the popular team. Like i said, this is only a north american splatfest problem.

LimitCrown

Full Squid
NNID
LimitCrown
5 out of 9 european splatfests were won by the popular team and 7 out of 9 japanese splatfests were won by the popular team. Like i said, this is only a north american splatfest problem.
You're conflating the Splatfests in which the most popular team also had more wins with the Splatfests in which the team that won had less wins. The latter occurred only once in Europe and twice in Japan. Those two Splatfests in Japan had the same win percentage differences and nearly the same popularity differences.

Last edited:

Sqwiddles

Pro Squid
NNID
PheenieWeen
Okay let's be honest here... TEAM FUTURE HAD REAAAAALLY BAD TEAMS. LIKE DON'T EVEN LIE ABOUT THE "oh the whole x6 is BS"
HAHAHAHAH LISTEN... YOUR TEAM WAS REALLY BAD. GOING ON A WIN STREAK UP TO KING/QUEEN PAST WITH BARELY ANY PROBLEMS!
Like what... less than 10 losses through the entire Splatfest even when at King/Queen and continue to play?!
I wasn't surprised that Team Past because ALMOST EVERY MATCH WE HAD TEAM FUTURE CORNED TO THE POINT THEY CAN'T EVEN LEAVE AND HAVE ONLY 10.6-7.2%.

Future didn't had a chance... it's just that with all those bad teammates and you all going against each other as I think Past didn't have to fight each other. Barely did. I know I didn't fight any. ;D

So... I know people are salty over the results BUT I'M SURE EVEN WITH A x4 we still would've won.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Flareth

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Wrong, except for two splatfests, this has always been the case.
Let's check, shall we?

In North America, 8 of 10 Splatfests were won by the less popular team. 3 were won by the more popular team, one of which also had the most wins (Team Art).

In Europe & Oceania, 4 of 9 Splatfests were won by the less popular team. 5 were won by the more popular team, only one of which didn't also have the most wins (Team Eating.)

In Japan, 2 of 9 Splatfests were won by the less popular team. 7 were won by the more popular team, two of which didn't also have the most wins (Team Red Fox 1 and Team Squid Sushi).

So unless this info is wrong, then the trend of "less popular team" only really holds true to North America and (to a lesser extent) Europe.

Of Moose & Men

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
MuhFugginMoose
Let's check, shall we?

In North America, 8 of 10 Splatfests were won by the less popular team. 3 were won by the more popular team, one of which also had the most wins (Team Art).

In Europe & Oceania, 4 of 9 Splatfests were won by the less popular team. 5 were won by the more popular team, only one of which didn't also have the most wins (Team Eating.)

In Japan, 2 of 9 Splatfests were won by the less popular team. 7 were won by the more popular team, two of which didn't also have the most wins (Team Red Fox 1 and Team Squid Sushi).

So unless this info is wrong, then the trend of "less popular team" only really holds true to North America and (to a lesser extent) Europe.
"Right, b-b-but they should cater to us in the US and make the multiplier x4 again!"

No point in having this argument every splatfest lol. People will whine and groan regardless.

Zero Meddler

Inkling Cadet
Okay let's be honest here... TEAM FUTURE HAD REAAAAALLY BAD TEAMS. LIKE DON'T EVEN LIE ABOUT THE "oh the whole x6 is BS"
HAHAHAHAH LISTEN... YOUR TEAM WAS REALLY BAD. GOING ON A WIN STREAK UP TO KING/QUEEN PAST WITH BARELY ANY PROBLEMS!
Like what... less than 10 losses through the entire Splatfest even when at King/Queen and continue to play?!
I wasn't surprised that Team Past because ALMOST EVERY MATCH WE HAD TEAM FUTURE CORNED TO THE POINT THEY CAN'T EVEN LEAVE AND HAVE ONLY 10.6-7.2%.

Future didn't had a chance... it's just that with all those bad teammates and you all going against each other as I think Past didn't have to fight each other. Barely did. I know I didn't fight any. ;D

So... I know people are salty over the results BUT I'M SURE EVEN WITH A x4 we still would've won.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mmmmm, sa-... wait. This isn't salt. Uhhhh... pepper. There we go. Mmmmmm, Pepper.

Anyway, are people STILL going on about how "Splatfest needs to be adjusted"? Geez guys, leave it alone. I understand why some people are upset at the current scoring system, but complaining won't solve the problem.

boredguy108

Semi-Pro Squid
The popularity shouldn't matter at all. Pretty sure its entire point is to be the deciding factor in a tie for wins.

When was the last time you went to a soccer game and the winning team was decided by how many fans were in the stands? Unlike in soccer, you need a winner for this, and I'm 95% sure that is the only reason Popularity is even taken into account.

So, with that, your team sucked, it's unfortunate. That doesn't mean you sucked, just a majority of your team. You got your 18 snails, now move on.
While I agree with the majority of your post, I'm not comfortable with you comparing Splatfest to a soccer game. In your example, you compare us to a specter. In Splatfest, we have a more active role. I believe a better example could be, well, war.

Imagine two armies facing each other in war. In this scenario, the players would like a soldier in one of armies. Alone, a soldier can't win a war by himself. In general, a superior army with better soldiers will win end up winning the war, but there are exceptions.

If the difference in skill between the two armies is small, then the army with more soldiers will win. And even an army's soldiers are better equipped and trained, there's little that army can do if they're completely out numbered. Say, a 1:10 ratio in the number soldiers.

Perhaps I'm thinking to much. I'm just gonna go play ranked now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom