• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

Octo Expansion/Future DLC Discussion Thread

MindWanderer

Inkling Commander
NNID
MindWanderer
Switch Friend Code
SW-5961-6763-3987
Yeah, I'll be able to check on it a couple of hours after it goes live, so I'm hoping it'll be ready to play right away.

Cephalobro

Interesting that they are showing more of it, I hope it's the case of adding the few bits of data that they intend on adding to the final product while it is being shown.

RocketsTail

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-2874-2863-4789
Only a few hours after the release, I already ran into a few octolings in my ranked matches. One was even using the Octoshot. I’m honestly not impressed with their Booyah sounds from either octoling boy or girl. They sound like they’re too mumbled and incoherent. They’re adorable though and maybe one day I’ll play as long one if I can put up with story mode for 80 grueling levels. *sigh*

Gameboy224

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Gameboy224
A few hours in. I've 100% complete up to Line C at this point. And by 100%, I do mean do every single level in a line with every single weapon option (since the game does track it).

Some of them are certainly tricky. Loving the added challenge. Rad Ride Station is particular took me quite a few ties with the Bamboozler to get down.

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
I didn't expect it this soon. I will enjoy playing as octolings, though I will probably not touch the single player. Agent 8 creeps me out a bit.
But you have to beat it first if you want to unlock Octolings!
The flipside is that you can breeze through it by simply focusing on getting the macguffins and ignore everything else. You can also skip levels if you fail them enough, which is nice if you don't care about singleplayer and you just want your octos for multiplayer.
If you want all the gear, however...

I've been playing it for a bit, it's fun enough. The stages are way harder this time around, for better or worse(The "carve a shape out of a bunch of boxes" stages are really tedious and slow). There were quite a few stages where i had significant trouble beating them, but it's been a fun challenge so far. Don't expect anything terribly new, though.
You can also unlock Octoling gear by beating all stages in a set without skipping(i think?), so if you want everything you gotta beat them all.

RocketsTail

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-2874-2863-4789
Got 20 levels out of 80 done so far but it seems like I’ve been playing forever. Some levels are really fun and others are harder than the boss I had to face so far. I’m just not so big on story mode but I do wanna test the octoling.

RocketsTail

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-2874-2863-4789
But you have to beat it first if you want to unlock Octolings!
The flipside is that you can breeze through it by simply focusing on getting the macguffins and ignore everything else. You can also skip levels if you fail them enough, which is nice if you don't care about singleplayer and you just want your octos for multiplayer.
If you want all the gear, however...

I've been playing it for a bit, it's fun enough. The stages are way harder this time around, for better or worse(The "carve a shape out of a bunch of boxes" stages are really tedious and slow). There were quite a few stages where i had significant trouble beating them, but it's been a fun challenge so far. Don't expect anything terribly new, though.
You can also unlock Octoling gear by beating all stages in a set without skipping(i think?), so if you want everything you gotta beat them all.
So to get the octoshot, you can’t skip stages?

MINKUKEL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I've been playing this a bit today, and it's pretty fun. A lot better than Octo Canyon/Valley, if only because you get a bigger variety in objectives and weapons to use. The plug boss you had to do with the Inkjet (barf) and the one where you had to use the Inkbrush/Octobrush/Carbon to destroy a bunch of boxes real quick both give me some trouble. The latter was especially hard with the Carbon Roller.
On the other hand, that boss did teach me that you can jump with the Inkjet (!?!).

I did unlock one piece of gear (from the yellow line), but it seems you can't use it yet. Probably have to unlock Octolings first. It's probably gonna have fixed abilities, so half of them will be useless anyway. Hopefully some cool ones will have the good abilities.

I'm gonna play some multiplayer later today to see how many Octolings will show up. Though I kinda don't want to because it's probably going to spoil some pieces of gear for me.

MindWanderer

Inkling Commander
NNID
MindWanderer
Switch Friend Code
SW-5961-6763-3987
Started playing last night, and good lord, it's harder than I expected! I've died at least once in almost every level, more often twice, with a couple of continues, and I'm only about 1/3 of the way through Line B. Nothing unfair or overwhelming, but it might get there if the difficulty curve gets any higher. The levels are a little shorter than Octo Canyon's, but not a lot, and the fact that you don't get a bonus life at every checkpoint means that I don't really want them to be any longer than they already are!

MINKUKEL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
So, I looked through the gear you unlock from the expansion, and boy, did they give all the cool gear ****ty abilities, huh?

The entire Octoling and Null sets are out of the picture, and even the Cuttlefish cap and shirt are a no-go.

They really should've made it so that you can get any ability on them. I mean, you can get that with pretty much everything in the game, why not those last few pieces of gear as well (amiibo, Championship tee too)? I don't get that. Why not give Murch the ability to reroll the main ability for a high price?

Belial

Full Squid
So, I looked through the gear you unlock from the expansion, and boy, did they give all the cool gear ****ty abilities, huh?

The entire Octoling and Null sets are out of the picture, and even the Cuttlefish cap and shirt are a no-go.

They really should've made it so that you can get any ability on them. I mean, you can get that with pretty much everything in the game, why not those last few pieces of gear as well (amiibo, Championship tee too)? I don't get that. Why not give Murch the ability to reroll the main ability for a high price?
I've been wanting that forever now. Everyone has different needs as far as abilities go and it's annoying to be so trapped in what you can wear. Especially if you paid $ for it.

Chaos_Knight

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Cha0sKnight
Is there any more hairstyles for the Octos besides the ones that were shown off before?

MindWanderer

Inkling Commander
NNID
MindWanderer
Switch Friend Code
SW-5961-6763-3987
Just reached my first "protect the orb" mission. Ugh. 2000 points per attempt, even though you get 5 lives, I burn through them fast. Once they start jumping in with specials raring to go, I just get overwhelmed. I only went through one set of lives, because otherwise I'm sure I'd burn through my whole reserve. Anyone have any tips?

ZetAchilles

Inkling
Switch Friend Code
SW-7059-8858-9867
Just got the DLC yesterday. Some levels are fun (the 8-ball breakout one) and most others are excruciatingly hard. Probably because i suck though. The level skip is a nice feature but it burns through my cash quickly. Im currently trying to grind cash to skip the shower guy to get the final egg sandwich macguffin or whatever. Most stages i try to clear it 2 or 3 times then if i dont get it i give up and just jump off the edge until help appears.

MINKUKEL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Anyone have any tips?
I remember using the Splat Bombs to take out a lot of Octolings in one of those. That was the main thing that saved me. Also, they give you a lot of specials iirc, and I used the Splashdown out of that one. That cleared up 2 of them who were already at the orb quickly. I also used the Charger I believe. Throw a bomb one way and OHKO with charger the other way when they spawn in.

If you're going for the 100% and want to do it with the other bombs, I wouldn't know how to help, haha. That's going to be a tough time, for sure.

I'm also wondering how I'm going to do that stage where the enemies on floating platforms appear in front of you and you can spin the formation around with the Hydra or the RBP. It was tough enough with the Charger, and the Hydra is a lot more unwieldy, and the RBP is just so weak in that stage.

Most stages i try to clear it 2 or 3 times then if i dont get it i give up and just jump off the edge until help appears.
I mean, you might as well give it a try in that case. If you continuously give up, you're not going to become any better at the other stages, and there's a whole lot of stages.

Enperry

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
ssjplt
Switch Friend Code
SW-0405-1788-8108
Most stages i try to clear it 2 or 3 times then if i dont get it i give up and just jump off the edge until help appears.
Never do this. It saves money to just play through it and die unintentionally while trying to complete it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom