• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Octo Expansion/Future DLC Discussion Thread

Inkling kirby

Semi-Pro Squid
Update on octoling hair styles.

So they do have a way to add more hairstyles, even though the only thing they have right now is the two original styles but less curly (maybe just placeholders?). Hopefully they'll add some more styles before release.

Last edited:

Cephalobro

Uh. You mean Octolings. Not Octarians. Oh and..
They Are Octarians.
Not Octolings. They do not have the special ability to morph to and from a humanoid form. They are stuck as whatever they are.

The DJ is only one! and he doesn’t seem to show any signs of morphing and I’m so sure he isn’t categorized with the Octolings. Just as sure as you are about these new Octolings not not being Octolings.

Teeth! Er.. beaks I mean.
Ever seen a picture of an Octopus’ beak? Now compare that with a Squids beak.
Although this is a shaky statement becauseeee in Splatoon, with the power of hacks, Octolings are shown with the same beaks as Inklings.
But all has since changed ever since Spla2n!
Thanks to Marina, again.
And then since we are talking about beaks, ever seen the new Octoling’s beaks?

Different species different species.
Yeah yeah yeah. Oh please. As I recall you believe them to be [Blue] Ringed Octopi? Am I correct?
They are Octolings, not Octarians. DJ Octavio just only chose to brainwash a small fraction of Octarians, this is why there aren't any male Octoling in the enemy Octarian army. And yes, I do believe that the playable Octolings are [Blue] Ringed Octopi because of the ring-like pattern at the end of their tentacles, Inklings don't have that pattern, only a dotted pattern. Also, DJ Octavio chooses to be in his Octopus form because he has more limbs to work with.

Gameboy224

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Gameboy224
Again, this is because they are a different species, that's the reason why there are male Octolings. In fact DJ Octavio is an Octoling himself, seen in a Sunken Scroll from Splatoon 1 next to Cap'n Cuttlefish. I have read the Splatoon Wiki and it says that the enemy Octolings are called "Octopus-Amazon" in Japanese while the playable Octolings are called "Octopus", further implying that they are different species. And to clarify, male Octolings already exist. The Octarian army is only a small fraction of the general Octarian population. Pearl is actually a different species of Inkling (possibly the Pygmy Squid). There's nothing saying in Splatoon lore saying that there can't be different species of the same creature.
In JP, they distinguish between the species and the specific enemy. Takomazon being a play on Octopus and Amazon, referring to them being an all female Octarian warrior group while Octolings as a species are just called Octopus. That doesn't mean they're a differing species though. They're both still Octarians which can assume human and octopus form. Same logic can be applied to much of the Octarian forces, an Octocommander isn't a species, it's a classification.

That being said, the likes of Agent 8 is one we can't jump to any conclusions to yet. We can't assume they're the same or different species of Octoling, heck, we might not even be able to say they're a traditional Octoling at all. Case and point the fact they have asymmetrical ear types may be a cause for suspicion.

So they do have a way to add more hairstyles, even though the only thing they have right now is the two original styles but less curly (maybe just placeholders?). Hopefully they'll add some more styles before release.
The seconds ones seem to just be non-animated versions of the normal style. But that does open up the potential for be there as placeholders, we'll have to see. Whether or not that leads to anything or if we'll have alternative cuts at all whether on release or in the future.

Last edited:

Cephalobro

In JP, they distinguish between the species and the specific enemy. Takomazon being a play on Octopus and Amazon, referring to them being an all female Octarian warrior group while Octolings as a species are just called Octopus. That doesn't mean they're a differing species though. They're both still Octarians which can assume human and octopus form. Same logic can be applied to much of the Octarian forces, an Octocommander isn't a species, it's a classification.

That being said, the likes of Agent 8 is one we can't jump to any conclusions to yet. We can't assume they're the same of different species of Octoling, heck, we might not even be able to say they're a traditional Octoling at all. Case and point the fact they have asymmetrical ear types may be a cause for suspicion.
The asymmetrical ears could just be a species thing, like how certain species of octopi have a siphon on their left. And again, the playable Octolings have a ringed pattern, that's just not seen on Inklings or enemy Octolings. Inklings have a dotted pattern while enemy Octolings have no pattern. If the playable Octolings were hybrids of the aforementioned two species, they would have dotted patterns, not ringed patterns.

Chewwiii

Senior Squid
NNID
newmoonz

And Octo Girl takes the cake with more interesting animations.
Ehhhhh I’m hoping not..? But who knows for sure..?

They are Octolings, not Octarians. DJ Octavio just only chose to brainwash a small fraction of Octarians, this is why there aren't any male Octoling in the enemy Octarian army. And yes, I do believe that the playable Octolings are [Blue] Ringed Octopi because of the ring-like pattern at the end of their tentacles, Inklings don't have that pattern, only a dotted pattern.
Dude.
You’re making my brain hurt. xDDDDDD

After asking and discussing this “Blue Ringed” theory of yours with a animal obsessed sibling of mine, you are unfortunately wrong.
If said new Octolings were said Octopi they would not show the features that they have now.

That being said, the likes of Agent 8 is one we can't jump to any conclusions to yet. We can't assume they're the same of different species of Octoling, heck, we might not even be able to say they're a traditional Octoling at all. Case and point the fact they have asymmetrical ear types may be a cause for suspicion.
Seriously, you’ve become my favorite person of the day.

Cephalobro

I didn't say they were exactly like the Blue Ringed Octopus, the [Blue] was just implying that the pattern could have been based off of that, not that it was that.

Chewwiii

Senior Squid
NNID
newmoonz
I didn't say they were exactly like the Blue Ringed Octopus, the [Blue] was just implying that the pattern could have been based off of that, not that it was that.
There we go with you editing your comment.
Backed into a corner huh?
Now your retracting a statement you proclaimed was clear as day.
Case closed.
Checkmate.

Cephalobro

There we go with you editing your comment.
Backed into a corner huh?
Now your retracting a statement you proclaimed was clear as day.
Case closed.
Checkmate.
I only edit my comment when I need to change to make it clearer and to add things I forgot to add to the original comment, no need to look down on me for trying to explain my point.

Chewwiii

Senior Squid
NNID
newmoonz
I only edit my comment when I need to change to make it clearer and to add things I forgot to add to the original comment, no need to look down on me for trying to explain my point.
I ain’t looking down on you. Why would I need to do that?

You haven’t proven anything. (Or explained since you edited your comment again)
You’ve just been proclaiming that they aren’t what they show to be and turned it to an entirely fact void accusation of what they are.
Beating around the bush.
I brung up different topics that surrounded these new Octolings, yet you continuously dropped these topics. Going back to your bland statement that they are something else, not even trying to challenge and explain my statements.

Inkling kirby

Semi-Pro Squid
I guess I'll give my thoughts to this discussion as well.

I'm pretty sure that the octolings we're gonna play as are just juveniles of the same species, and the octolings in the army are adults. The only thing that makes me consider otherwise is the ear thing (I'm pretty sure their ears are just hidden in their tentacle hair, if someone could show me otherwise that would be helpful). The teens would be the perfect time to recruit and brainwash young octolings like agent 8 because they just became able to control their octopus form, then they train until they are adults. They wouldn't put young, inexperienced greenies on the battlefield.

Also DJ Octavio is shown in humanoid form in one of the sunken sea scrolls, so it's definitely not just females in the octoling species.

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
Well turns out there does exist "Dumbo Octopus" that's a deepsea dwelling variety of octopi. Kinda works with the expansion's motif.

@Chewwiii, please calm down and pull up your pants! You've been showing your butt in your display of being a self-important jerk to @Cephalobro. And for what? A difference in opinion on lore content none of us has touched and can make theory confirmations on? Seriously?!

Please, toss some cold water on yourself, grab something to drink, and chill.

Cephalobro

Well turns out there does exist "Dumbo Octopus" that's a deepsea dwelling variety of octopi. Kinda works with the expansion's motif.

@Chewwiii, please calm down and pull up your pants! You've been showing your butt in your display of being a self-important jerk to @Cephalobro. And for what? A difference in opinion on lore content none of us has touched and can make theory confirmations on? Seriously?!

Please, toss some cold water on yourself, grab something to drink, and chill.
Sorry about that :oops: :( *hides face in shame*

the

Inkling Commander
With the info we have now, it’s impossible to 100% prove what kind of octoling or cephalopod-frankenstein-hybrid they are. Theorizing is fun but it’s very possible nintendo just changed the models for hitbox purposes and will just call them “octolings”
In any case, let’s respect each other’s opinions and not get too riled up over a cartoon paintball game

Edit: ansible beat me to it, but yeah. That.

Chewwiii

Senior Squid
NNID
newmoonz
You know....
I just thought this was a discussion thread. Where we discussed things that we thought were to be or not to be true? And then possibly argued? Guess this isn’t the thread for that.

But alas whatever. I was explaining my point. He explained his.

Reactions: the

the

Inkling Commander
Anyways, to lighten up the mood, do you think they will show part of Octo Expansion on E3?
I’m kind of expecting splatoon to take a back seat to all-new stuff during e3, so we’ll probably get a release date, maybe another trailer. And unrelated to octo expansion, maybe a release date for wahoo world, if it doesn’t come before then?

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
Pfft. Octoexpansion? Where's Sma5h and Pokémon durnit!!! When are we having a PokéSmash Direct? Splatoon is stupid and Arms is DEAD!

What the heck is up with this Splatoon tournament? When is it over, I wanna watch the Smash tournament! Get them off the stage and bring out Smash! Smash! Smash! Smash! Smash!

Ahem! Yeah, I'm certain they'll give us something. Not everyone follows their press and social media releases and there is the Inkling Open so there's little reason why they shouldn't. Maybe we'll finally have a release date and know what the Off the Hook amiibos do. *wants new and old octo gear*

the

Inkling Commander
Pfft. Octoexpansion? Where's Sma5h and Pokémon durnit!!! When are we having a PokéSmash Direct? Splatoon is stupid and Arms is DEAD!

What the heck is up with this Splatoon tournament? When is it over, I wanna watch the Smash tournament! Get them off the stage and bring out Smash! Smash! Smash! Smash! Smash!

Ahem! Yeah, I'm certain they'll give us something. Not everyone follows their press and social media releases and there is the Inkling Open so there's little reason why they shouldn't. Maybe we'll finally have a release date and know what the Off the Hook amiibos do. *wants new and old octo gear*
The OTH amiibos will unlock pearl and marina villagers in the newly announced Animal Crossing Switch

E44D0389-253B-4E87-A9E7-BB93D896DA4E.png
2DDCF184-71EE-49F2-A1C4-6CACF6565C70.png

Cephalobro

Oh man, if they let us catch a squid in the new Animal Crossing, it would be awesome if the description says something along the lines of "I caught a Squid, this is my turf now!"

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom