Octoling Hype Thread (prev. Assets in SplatNet)

Noire

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Kyseria
I'm pretty sure that the snowglobe's base is the Octarian version of a spawner, and after they dramatically splatted Octavio Agents 1-3 just spawn-camped him by popping down the glass globe once they were done.

That does bring up an interesting question, do the tentacle-spawned Octarians have a "soul squid" to respawn from? We never see any of the Octarian troops (including Octolings) release such a thing upon death, but then again the domes ARE low on power, and even the Inkling respawn points can only respawn Agent 3 up to 3 times each, so it's not out of the question that it's just a matter of lack of respawn points rather than lack of "soul squid". (That said, I'm not really sure what an Octotrooper's soul would even look like, so it may end up that Octolings have them but tentacle spawns don't?)
The Octolings have a "soul octopus" coming out of them apon being splatted with a unique look for them. But the generic mooks and bosses do not.

Reila

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Kinda random, but the soul squid/octopus thing makes me hope that the Pikmin "respawn" as well after dying... somewhere. Kinda like the Inkling/Octolings. Pikmin dying is the saddest thing. Yet I main Olimar in Smash.

@On topic: do we have pictures of how the bosses look outside of the "robots"? Or are their bodies just the tentacles that we shoot after "stunning" them?

Flipz

Senior Squid
NNID
FlipzMCL
Kinda random, but the soul squid/octopus thing makes me hope that the Pikmin "respawn" as well after dying... somewhere. Kinda like the Inkling/Octolings. Pikmin dying is the saddest thing. Yet I main Olimar in Smash.

@On topic: do we have pictures of how the bosses look outside of the "robots"? Or are their bodies just the tentacles that we shoot after "stunning" them?
I know someone in this topic mentioned that the tentacle we see in each Great Octoweapon has Octavio's X scar on it, so I'm pretty sure they were all piloted by him. :)

EDIT: RE: Pikmin respawning, maybe they respawn in an Onion in another area? Then again, the creatures in Pikmin seem to be individually sub-sentient, I've always pictured the Pikmin as having a sort of shared hive-mind between all of them as a species.

...does it say something about me that both of my favorite Nintendo franchises are centered around a post-apocalyptic Earth? :oops:

Noire

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Kyseria

I like to think as when the Pikmin die, they come back anew from the enemy's corpse who killed them and the cycle of life repeats itself.

I don't believe I've seen who's using the Great Octo Weapons, I just assumed it's Octavio due to the scarred tentacle on each boss.

Reila

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I see, so Octavio is pretty much the big bad behind everything. Such a crazy dude!
I know someone in this topic mentioned that the tentacle we see in each Great Octoweapon has Octavio's X scar on it, so I'm pretty sure they were all piloted by him. :)

EDIT: RE: Pikmin respawning, maybe they respawn in an Onion in another area? Then again, the creatures in Pikmin seem to be individually sub-sentient, I've always pictured the Pikmin as having a sort of shared hive-mind between all of them as a species.

...does it say something about me that both of my favorite Nintendo franchises are centered around a post-apocalyptic Earth? :oops:
I thought that was the case, but the Pikmin short movies show that the Pikmin are sentient/somewhat intelligent beings. They are more like simple-minded humans than insects in terms of intelligence.

What if Pikmin and Splatoon are set in the same universe, but in different times? After all, Splatoon takes place on Earth and the "Distant Planet" Olimar and other captains visit is also Earth.

Flipz

Senior Squid
NNID
FlipzMCL
I see, so Octavio is pretty much the big bad behind everything. Such a crazy dude!

I thought that was the case, but the Pikmin short movies show that the Pikmin are sentient/somewhat intelligent beings. They are more like simple-minded humans than insects in terms of intelligence.

What if Pikmin and Splatoon are set in the same universe, but in different times? After all, Splatoon takes place on Earth and the "Distant Planet" Olimar and other captains visit is also Earth.

...nooo, my precious ink/octolings! ;_; :( ;_;

...although, that being said, maybe they could happen concurrently, since Splatoon is clearly set in the remains of Japan and I don't think we've currently seen where on PNF-404 Japan has drifted to. Plus, all the Pikmin characters are >6 inches tall, so it's conceivable that the Inklings never notice or pay attention to such tiny creatures.

Reila

Inkling Fleet Admiral

...nooo, my precious ink/octolings! ;_; :( ;_;

...although, that being said, maybe they could happen concurrently, since Splatoon is clearly set in the remains of Japan and I don't think we've currently seen where on PNF-404 Japan has drifted to. Plus, all the Pikmin characters are >6 inches tall, so it's conceivable that the Inklings never notice or pay attention to such tiny creatures.
That's definitely possible. Even the biggest creatures in the Pikmin series are tiny sized if compared to Inklings and the Octarians.

I posted this as joke (the Pikmin/Splatoon sharing an universe thing), but since F-Zero/Star Fox share the same universe, Splatoon and Pikmin could as well.

Brunosky_Inc

57% Squid Kid / 43% Hipster
NNID
Brunosky_Inc
That's MY theory, you heathen! =P

Given the setting, Nintendo could very well retcon some stuff and say that Pikmin and Splatoon take place at the same Earth and time. Some of the junk the astronauts have come across could very well be Inkling/renovated human, the smallness of the astronauts means the chances of coming across or being noticed by any fresh peeps are very low, and a lot of the creatures in Pikmin do kinda look like sea species.

Noire

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Kyseria
The whole after human era of Splatoon and the crossover with Pikmin sounds really intriguing.

I'm curious as to what the Squid Kids are doing in the remains of Europe and North America because those two areas has high enough mountains for enough land. I'm mostly curious as to what their culture is compared to Inkopolis. Like Japan is to us.

Paragon-Yoshi

Inkling Cadet
We do not yet know exactly how Inklings and Octolings can actually die.

Fellow deviantARTist "TamarinFrog" has the theory that if there are no spawnpads around, getting splatted means certain death.
Which would mean that you actually kill any Octoling you splat, since they have no spawnpads to bring them back.

It still is an interesting, albeit morbid question though: "How exactly can you kill an Inkling/Octoling?"

Reila

Inkling Fleet Admiral
This is becoming the official Splatoon lore thread =P

Do we know if the whole world is dominated by sea creatures? If that's not the case, perhaps non-sea creatures live in Europe and the Americas. Though if that was possible, humans wouldn't have been extinct.
That's MY theory, you heathen! =P
Fight me.
It still is an interesting, albeit morbid question though: "How exactly can you kill an Inkling/Octoling?"
By locking their souls in a jar after Splatting them. :scared:

Noire

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Kyseria
This is becoming the official Splatoon lore thread =P

Do we know if the whole world is dominated by sea creatures? If that's not the case, perhaps non-sea creatures live in Europe and the Americas. Though if that was possible, humans wouldn't have been extinct.
This would be great sequel material, Nintendo. Tell us what happened to the rest of the world.

Paragon-Yoshi

Inkling Cadet
Is there any sort of thread around here discussing "Inkling and Octoling Physiology"?
I would like to contribute, as you might see. :P

But yeah, I would like to think of the "Soul Squid/Octopus" being actually their hearts, on the run while they wait for their body to reform.
In that regard, they kinda remind me of a Boss, from a very imfamous Nintendo Place. :P

Reila

Inkling Fleet Admiral
This would be great sequel material, Nintendo. Tell us what happened to the rest of the world.
Indeed. They could introduce a new species, with a completely different arsenal and abilities from the Inklings and Octolings in Splatwo.

Flipz

Senior Squid
NNID
FlipzMCL
I just realized a discrepancy with my own concurrent-happening theory: Pikmin takes place 250 million years in the future; Japan (the island chain) won't exist anymore. :(

IT'S A CONTRADICTION!!!

But yeah, maybe it is just a gameplay-excuse.
It would be kinda strange, if you restart from a checkpoint, but all the enemies you are supposed to fight again, are gone. ;)
IIRC, don't the crates stay broken, though? I seem to remember getting annoyed that I fell off a stage, and then when I tried to re-collect the armor it wasn't there anymore. :confused:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom