Octoling Hype Thread (prev. Assets in SplatNet)

Flipz

Senior Squid
NNID
FlipzMCL
That's why I love games that provide more choices for players. I'm also a sucker for character customization. Honestly, that's my bread and butter~ It's also one of the reasons why I love the Elder Scrolls series, character customization~ By doing that, it adds to the immersion and makes you feel like you are part of the virtual world the game creators made for enjoyment.
Honestly, the ability to change my character's gender at any time was one of the big selling points of Splatoon for me--it's the first and only game I know of that lets me express my identity freely that way. :)

I'd like to thnk all octarians start out as clippings from a giant octopus, and grow into the stubby little tentacles we see in the valley. when they mature enough, or have accomplished enough for octarians, they get to choose to become an octoling. through rigorous training, and other means, they become human-like, and more like the inklings.
I just assumed they grow up and obtained their humanoid forms at a certain age just like Inklings. But Octopi in real life have brains on each of their tentacles. They can be cut off and they will grow back. So I assumed those troops you see (Not Octolings) all were cut from Octavio and his subordinates to bolster their army's strength. So the actual Octopi are Octavio and the Octolings and the other troops are just their tentacles cut off really.
Hmm...now I have to wonder, could the various Octarian troops actually be different stages of Octoling development? Obviously the ink torpedo things and the mini-Octostamps are mechanical constructs (like the Great Octoweapons themselves), but I could see there being two branching development paths, with each getting a choice of how they want to specialize when they evolve: Octotrooper->Octocopter/Octosniper, or Twintacle Octotrooper->(Octoling->Elite Octoling)/(Octobomber->Octostriker).

And really, why limit it to a natural process? The Octocopers/bombers/strikers/snipers all appear to have some kind of cybernetic enhancements; perhaps some of the changes are artificially induced. Maybe to get an Octobomber instead of a normal Octoling, you have to trade it while holding a King's Rock install a cybernetic headset that releases specific mutagens into the Octarian, transforming them into the puffy floating monsters we see in single-player.

Noire

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Kyseria
Hmm...now I have to wonder, could the various Octarian troops actually be different stages of Octoling development? Obviously the ink torpedo things and the mini-Octostamps are mechanical constructs (like the Great Octoweapons themselves), but I could see there being two branching development paths, with each getting a choice of how they want to specialize when they evolve: Octotrooper->Octocopter/Octosniper, or Twintacle Octotrooper->(Octoling->Elite Octoling)/(Octobomber->Octostriker).

And really, why limit it to a natural process? The Octocopers/bombers/strikers/snipers all appear to have some kind of cybernetic enhancements; perhaps some of the changes are artificially induced. Maybe to get an Octobomber instead of a normal Octoling, you have to trade it while holding a King's Rock install a cybernetic headset that releases specific mutagens into the Octarian, transforming them into the puffy floating monsters we see in single-player.
Definitely the Octobomber/Octostriker appear to be genetically mutated from their original bodies what with those head gears and all, I was thinking of how those big suckers were even possible even taking real Octopi into account. Now, from playing Single Player, the vast majority of the enemies you run into for the whole game is Octotroopers/Twintentacle Octotroopers/Octobombers/Octosnipers/Octocopters including the mechanical stuff you run into as well.

The actual Octoling encounters on top of only having four stages that pertains to them, they themselves only show up in 3-4 actual stages. So there aren't a lot of actual Octopi in the Splatoon verse, and the majority of the enemies you fight appear to be sentient tentacles that likely came from the actual Octopi by cutting their tentacles off. Not only does this make their army stronger, they appear to be quite intelligent on their own (intelligent enough to make broadcasts about the issues underground. I say that's pretty smart) according to the sunken scrolls. Notice how none of them have eight tentacles which the Octolings and Octavio have and they clearly can't transform. Then again, Nintendo has never stated just how one becomes a Octoling. If the Octotroopers we fight are juvenile Octolings. That is seriously cruel.

Sunstone

Let's ink it up... together!
NNID
Paleamethyst
It's worth pointing out that the cutting theory is proven in the Ikasu Artbook. Apparently their is a mother that the soldiers are spawned from.

Perhaps Octolings, being the only ones with 8 limbs, the ability to go from octo to kid, and breath in ink (!), are the result of a natural birth verses a... "haircut."

Paragon-Yoshi

Inkling Cadet
Interesting discussion.

But if most of the enemies in Single Player, are actually "cut-off tentacles", it makes the whole story even more tragic.
Since it goes to show how far they have been decimated, given how few Octolings actually exist in Single Player, compared to the rest of the enemies.

Now I feel even worse, when having to kill them. :(

CM2

Inkling Cadet
NNID
chenmaster2
I'm always skeptical when it comes to all of Tamaki's predictions but it look like he's right in that we won't get a Nintendo Direct in the immediate future.

Reila

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I'm always skeptical when it comes to all of Tamaki's predictions but it look like he's right in that we won't get a Nintendo Direct in the immediate future.
It looks like he is right based on what evidence, if I may ask?
Nintendo loves to make the player feel bad about killing enemies. In Kirby, Mario, Pikmin (sorta) and now Splatoon.

Paragon-Yoshi

Inkling Cadet
In Metal Gear, you have the option to avoid killing enemies and at least put them to sleep.

Here, nope.
Well, that is not entirely true.

In the Octoling themed missions, you can actually just run through, without killing a single one of them.
But outside the Octoling-missions, in the regular levels, sadly you are always forced to kill them, to activate the launchpad.

Noire

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Kyseria
I personally think a Direct is nearby but that's just me, there's a lot to cover for Nintendo's Holiday season.

In Metal Gear, you have the option to avoid killing enemies and at least put them to sleep.

Here, nope.
Well, that is not entirely true.

In the Octoling themed missions, you can actually just run through, without killing a single one of them.
But outside the Octoling-missions, in the regular levels, sadly you are always forced to kill them, to activate the launchpad.
I don't think Agent 3 alone can make the Octolings go extinct as some would prefer not to fight. But there isn't a lot of them left it would seem. But that doesn't explain Octavio's Snowglobe home. I'm pretty sure he got splatted in a dramatic way.

Reila

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Well, at least we have the choice of keeping them Octolings alive. So even if the other octarians go extinct, Octavio and the Octolings could stay alive.

CM2

Inkling Cadet
NNID
chenmaster2
It looks like he is right based on what evidence, if I may ask?

Nintendo loves to make the player feel bad about killing enemies. In Kirby, Mario, Pikmin (sorta) and now Splatoon.
He's a guy who has inside sources on unreleased games like Metroid Dread and Project HAMMER.

Noire

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Kyseria
Oh, you're talking about Tamaki from Unseen64.

Even though he has inside sources, he has been proven wrong before. Just look at that infamous NOA Devil's Third incident. I don't care that NOA may have suddenly decided to localize the game after Unseen64 said that they would give it to XSEED, in the end, NOA decided to localize the game making him in the end, wrong. That was a huge mess that didn't need to happen.

I'm not saying we're getting a direct, but I have a hunch it's coming soon. I mean, the holiday season is only two months away and all we know is that Nintendo is putting out Xenoblade Chronicles X and Mario Tennis Ultra Smash for Wii U, which has no new info since E3? That can't just be it. But knowing me, I'm probably wrong.

Brunosky_Inc

57% Squid Kid / 43% Hipster
NNID
Brunosky_Inc
No need for overdramatic mook compassion, mate. All these guys are splatted, not killed; just like the Inklings.

I mean, come on. Mr. Remix Yo Face inksploded like a friggin' atom bomb, and then we see him no worse for wear inside a snow globe, waiting for the next time Cuttlefish goes to eat crabby cakes to do the whole thing all over again.

Reila

Inkling Fleet Admiral
He's a guy who has inside sources on unreleased games like Metroid Dread and Project HAMMER.
I was asking for actual evidence, not only Tamaki's words. He might be right, but his words at the moment doesn't mean much. I mean, from one side there's Rogersbase who claims we will get something by the 23rd. Sure, he never mentioned specifically a Direct, but depending of what we are getting next week, there's a chance they will announce it on a Direct... Stuff like Octolings playable, more Splatoon content (it's possible, the patch filesize is kinda big) or even new Smash DLC would most likely not be announced on twitter or in a random YouTube video, don't you think? On the other side, there's Tamaki saying we won't get a Direct anytime soon (according to you, of course). And both of these two have inside sources. They can both be right but they can both be wrong, too. The safest thing to do now is to think both are wrong, hope for the best and expect the worst

I do think a Nintendo Direct is likely to happen, though. Nintendo needs to talk about holiday releases, new amiibo release dates, new Smash and maybe Splatoon content, the first mobile game that is supposed to be released soon, Twilight Princess HD, etc.

CM2

Inkling Cadet
NNID
chenmaster2
I was asking for actual evidence, not only Tamaki's words. He might be right, but his words at the moment doesn't mean much. I mean, from one side there's Rogersbase who claims we will get something by the 23rd. Sure, he never mentioned specifically a Direct, but depending of what we are getting next week, there's a chance they will announce it on a Direct... Stuff like Octolings playable, more Splatoon content (it's possible, the patch filesize is kinda big) or even new Smash DLC would most likely not be announced on twitter or in a random YouTube video, don't you think? On the other side, there's Tamaki saying we won't get a Direct anytime soon (according to you, of course). And both of these two have inside sources. They can both be right but they can both be wrong, too. The safest thing to do now is to think both are wrong, hope for the best and expect the worst

I do think a Nintendo Direct is likely to happen, though. Nintendo needs to talk about holiday releases, new amiibo release dates, new Smash and maybe Splatoon content, the first mobile game that is supposed to be released soon, Twilight Princess HD, etc.
Find the tweet where he said this.

The reason I agree with him on no immediate directs for now is basically Nintendo has been so quiet on a handful games they have not touched upon since E3.

I'm not saying there won't be a new one this year but for now I think we should just wait and see.

Flipz

Senior Squid
NNID
FlipzMCL
I personally think a Direct is nearby but that's just me, there's a lot to cover for Nintendo's Holiday season.

I don't think Agent 3 alone can make the Octolings go extinct as some would prefer not to fight. But there isn't a lot of them left it would seem. But that doesn't explain Octavio's Snowglobe home. I'm pretty sure he got splatted in a dramatic way.
I'm pretty sure that the snowglobe's base is the Octarian version of a spawner, and after they dramatically splatted Octavio Agents 1-3 just spawn-camped him by popping down the glass globe once they were done.

That does bring up an interesting question, do the tentacle-spawned Octarians have a "soul squid" to respawn from? We never see any of the Octarian troops (including Octolings) release such a thing upon death, but then again the domes ARE low on power, and even the Inkling respawn points can only respawn Agent 3 up to 3 times each, so it's not out of the question that it's just a matter of lack of respawn points rather than lack of "soul squid". (That said, I'm not really sure what an Octotrooper's soul would even look like, so it may end up that Octolings have them but tentacle spawns don't?)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom