Octoling Hype Thread (prev. Assets in SplatNet)

redacteddd

Banned (6 points)
Seems like we have a Octarian band now, too?

If you are wondering why I am posting this here, is because... Well, check the music the "OCTOTOOL" band is playing.
OCTOTOOL isn't really news, they've been known about since the tracklist got released. Please don't call them a band; that terminology doesn't mesh with electronic music producers/duos/etc.

Reila

Inkling Fleet Admiral
OCTOTOOL isn't really news, they've been known about since the tracklist got released. Please don't call them a band; that terminology doesn't mesh with electronic music producers/duos/etc.
I didn't know they were a duo.

redacteddd

Banned (6 points)
I didn't know they were a duo.
i wasn't implying that, I was just listing off some examples of things.

Judging by by that one interview, OCTOTOOL is probably some nebulous government entity where you have no idea who's making the music.

And it's a slightly different rendition of the Octoling theme, to boot.
No, it isn't. All single player music has two versions. One that plays when you traverse through the stage, and one that overrides it when you an enemy spots you. In most levels you won't really notice this because all that's different is an added percussion sound effect, but it's way more noticeable in the Octoling and Unidentified Flying Object levels, where whole sections and layers of instrumentation are added, especially percussion.

Last edited:

MissingNumbers

Inkling Commander
NNID
MissingN
Switch Friend Code
SW-4262-2166-2532
And it's a slightly different rendition of the Octoling theme, to boot.
Is it actually different? It just sounds like the "battle" version of the song. (When Octarians spot you, another layer gets added to the song.)

Reila

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Did NWPlayer try to make the Octoling wear hats when she modified the game? I am wondering how that will work, since their tentacle hair is rather... voluminous. Maybe the hair will just disappear like when male Inklings wear certain hats?

aqua46

Inkling Cadet
Did NWPlayer try to make the Octoling wear hats when she modified the game? I am wondering how that will work, since their tentacle hair is rather... voluminous. Maybe the hair will just disappear like when male Inklings wear certain hats?
yes. they clip. it's an easy fix, relatively speaking. how they will fix it is up to them. this video is "no mods." read the description for details.

MissingNumbers

Inkling Commander
NNID
MissingN
Switch Friend Code
SW-4262-2166-2532
Re-watching that video makes me wonder if they actually will have Octoling-exclusive designs for point sensors and the Kraken, should they be released.

Joseph Staleknight

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
JStaleknight
Switch Friend Code
SW-1169-3473-1031
Re-watching that video makes me wonder if they actually will have Octoling-exclusive designs for point sensors and the Kraken, should they be released.
I guess the Octoling version of the Kraken would be the Enteroctopus. Though, given the blunt edge of an octopus head compared to the squid's arrow shape, I wonder if it'll function as a battering ram rather than a drill.

MissingNumbers

Inkling Commander
NNID
MissingN
Switch Friend Code
SW-4262-2166-2532
Also an interesting thing I noticed in the video: When the Octoling respawns, the spirit doesn't return to spawn, nor are there the same glowing effects coming out of the spawn point.

Switch Friend Code
SW-7067-7083-1429
Like Aqua said, most hats clips right through their "hair." That's why I'm hoping NWPlayer will find some updated hat placement for the Octoling model in tomorrow's update, in addition to updated blinking animations. Since Ninty is well aware of dataminers at this point (especially Nikki), they might try to be a bit more sneaky with it, though.

aqua46

Inkling Cadet
Just a heads up, folks. Thanks to Noire for letting me know the maintenance tonight has been bumped up to 5 hours. although we've been given a reason for the shutdown (basically), it's still very suspicious to 'close down' nintendo products for a full work day.

Reila

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I guess the Octoling version of the Kraken would be the Enteroctopus. Though, given the blunt edge of an octopus head compared to the squid's arrow shape, I wonder if it'll function as a battering ram rather than a drill.
The kraken is often represented as a giant octopus in media, so I wouldn't be surprised if Octoling's equivalent to the kraken still is the kraken, but with a different design, obviously.

Noire

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Kyseria
Like Aqua said, most hats clips right through their "hair." That's why I'm hoping NWPlayer will find some updated hat placement for the Octoling model in tomorrow's update, in addition to updated blinking animations. Since Ninty is well aware of dataminers at this point (especially Nikki), they might try to be a bit more sneaky with it, though.
The only thing to prevent dataminers from leaking your stuff is to make sure there's no files that spoil the surprise anywhere in the update files and that means having to double check the final file list more than once. It's a lot harder to not spoil the Octolings since work has been done of them since launch and Nintendo can't really hide them if they finished them and removing them also seems like they'll just add them back in later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom