Octoling Hype Thread (prev. Assets in SplatNet)

Noire

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Kyseria
yep. as members of O.C.T.O., we spread awareness, not fear.

Hopefully, everyone reading this thread will see this point in the conversation, and most likely understand what we, and the modders do to help customers and devs alike.

yes it's a shameless group plug. check it out, people.:rolleyes:
I do not like it when people group Nikki with hackers like Kazuki. Once she learned of what happened when the game actually thought you're playing as an Octoling, she kept the hack to herself, which I respect.

Do note that there's another hack that allows you to softmod all of the Female Inklings to look like the Octoling, but the game thinks you're playing as a Female Inkling as others will see you as a Female Inkling, so no harm can be done that way. But Nintendo is clearly aware of what's she's doing.

aqua46

Inkling Cadet
Do note that there's another hack that allows you to softmod all of the Female Inklings to look like the Octoling, but the game thinks you're playing as a Female Inkling as others will see you as a Female Inkling, so no harm can be done that way. But Nintendo is clearly aware of what's she's doing.
yeah. they call it "OctoHax." no other info provided.

fakecake

Inkster Jr.
What about hackers? Will we see Octoling hacker scare-mongering innocent Inklings with the threat of locking their plaza? And if the plaza soft-locking glitch is fixed, but Octolings STILL aren't playable, would those with hacking knowledge just say screw it and trounce around turf wars as Octolings, anyway?
Im pretty confident that the plaza softlock is fixed in 2.2.0, since it wouldnt be much work to do for them(+ the glitch is pretty game-breaking).
I have some friends with a softlocked backup save, and they'll tell me if it got fixed. You'll be the first to hear it from me.

Flipz

Senior Squid
NNID
FlipzMCL
You know what just dawned on me?

October is the month of Halloween. Halloween is celebrated by dressing is costume.

Playable Octolings treated as a "costume" for Inklings to wear.
Hmm...while that'd be awesome to get, it'd be kind of disappointing from a lore perspective, as well as being a little limiting in terms of stats (one of the reasons I don't really wear the Octo gear in-game, despite how cool some parts of it are).

EDIT: What if they run it like a Splatfest? That is, what if for one day all of the players appear as Octolings instead of Inklings? I'd be sort of okay with that, if still kinda bummed it would be temporary.

Sunstone

Let's ink it up... together!
NNID
Paleamethyst
Well, Octolings are more or less programmed into the game as a third gender, so I don't know if Nintendo would take the time to rewrite all the data to make it gear. Unless we get something like an Octoling wig, I don't see that route.

Octolings have quite a few model differences beyond the obvious hair. They have the gloves, a smaller undershirt, bigger bust, and unique eye-markings.

I can just see Nintendo using the holiday as an easy way to advertise/excuse the ability to suddenly play an Octoling.

Reila

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Octoling gear would be rather disappointing. I want to customize my Octoling (skin, gear, etc), if Octolings are introduced as gears, that wouldn't be possible.

NNID
namine753
Octoling gear would be rather disappointing. I want to customize my Octoling (skin, gear, etc), if Octolings are introduced as gears, that wouldn't be possible.
I am totally positive they will come in the character select. Remember, the dude who played as a genuine octoling simply changed his character ID to 2. 0 is inkling boy and 1 is inkling girl, whereas 2 was Octoling. So higher chance they will come rather than just be fancy gear.

fakecake

Inkster Jr.
Yep, they wouldn't have implemented this if they intended to do octoling gear.
Like I said, we'll know more when 2.2.0 releases.

Switch Friend Code
SW-7067-7083-1429
yep. as members of O.C.T.O., we spread awareness, not fear.

Hopefully, everyone reading this thread will see this point in the conversation, and most likely understand what we, and the modders do to help customers and devs alike.

yes it's a shameless group plug. check it out, people.:rolleyes:
J__________________O__________________I__________________N____________________________________U__________________S

Well that's odd. I wonder what that could mean...

Demonic Labrys

Pro Squid
NNID
Omega_Snakey
Also considering that Nikki found Elite Octoling Goggles gear
that would be cool to have with the kelp XD

fakecake

Inkster Jr.
Also considering that Nikki found Elite Octoling Goggles gear
that would be cool to have with the kelp XD
Altough I think she added these by adding a new gear entry and using the elite goggles model, since I couldn't find anything in the gear definition files. I'll search for her tweets on this topic.

aqua46

Inkling Cadet
I am totally positive they will come in the character select. Remember, the dude who played as a genuine octoling simply changed his character ID to 2. 0 is inkling boy and 1 is inkling girl, whereas 2 was Octoling. So higher chance they will come rather than just be fancy gear.
yeah. too many animations for just gear. and if they'd put that much time and effort into a 24 hour costume, that'd be wasting money. octos should be coming, but lets see what the patch contains.

Those Kelp Goggles would be pretty snazzy...
yeah, they're pretty jelly inducing.

Reila

Inkling Fleet Admiral
According to Rogers Base, the big Nintendo rumor is there's going to be a Splatoon Direct on Oct. 23rd with a "Smashing" announcement at the end.

Not on the 23rd, by the 23rd. Which means the Direct could happen from now until Friday.

Anyways, not even Rogersbase seem to be sure about his information anymore. Better to not expect Directs anytime soon.

Noire

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Kyseria
So Roger decided to finally stop beating around the bush and told us what he learned after 2 weeks? So it was a Splatoon direct with a Smash announcement at the end.
I think he used to work at NOA so he probably has old friends who work there and one of them may have slipped him this info. Whether or not it's actually true remains to be seen. He's got three days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom