Octoling Hype Thread (prev. Assets in SplatNet)

Switch Friend Code
SW-7067-7083-1429
The only thing to prevent dataminers from leaking your stuff is to make sure there's no files that spoil the surprise anywhere in the update files and that means having to double check the final file list more than once. It's a lot harder to not spoil the Octolings since work has been done of them since launch and Nintendo can't really hide them if they finished them and removing them also seems like they'll just add them back in later.
I suppose you're right. Trying to hide them at this point would just be a lot of extra work to hide something everyone already knows about anyway xD

Flipz

Senior Squid
NNID
FlipzMCL
From a link Nikki tweeted, that was a stability maintenance update for the 3DS; our Splatoon update is still scheduled on Tuesday.

Noire

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Kyseria
So, all this glorified Maintenance did was to bring out a 3DS stability update which patched all of the known 3DS Exploits for running Homebrew. So, the more I sat down and thought about it, I don't see the Octolings being released tomorrow. Wouldn't Nintendo hype the heck out of them? I mean, we know they're in the data but, Nintendo could still show them off pre update by showing us clear footage of them doing stuff.

The only way it's happening tomorrow is if they went for the only surprise tactic they know how: By not saying anything until just hours before the update drops. But even I see that as unlikely. I mean, that's how Pirate Ship was revealed in the Mario Maker stage update in smash along with Mii Costumes we had no idea of existing until then.

Switch Friend Code
SW-7067-7083-1429
So, all this glorified Maintenance did was to bring out a 3DS stability update which patched all of the known 3DS Exploits for running Homebrew. So, the more I sat down and thought about it, I don't see the Octolings being released tomorrow. Wouldn't Nintendo hype the heck out of them? I mean, we know they're in the data but, Nintendo could still show them off pre update by showing us clear footage of them doing stuff.

The only way it's happening tomorrow is if they went for the only surprise tactic they know how: By not saying anything until just hours before the update drops. But even I see that as unlikely. I mean, that's how Pirate Ship was revealed in the Mario Maker stage update in smash along with Mii Costumes we had no idea of existing until then.
I think the Octos will definitely be saved for a 3.0 update, but it'll still be interesting to see what certain individuals can dig out of 2.2.0

Noire

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Kyseria
i'm just waiting for more datamining. i know they won't be ready yet. the point of octo-ber, for me, was to see if they're truly going to be playable or not. this patch might give insight into that. i expect them by squidmas.
That would be a great Squidmas present. I would think it's taking a long as it did is due to possibly a new campaign for them. Doing Agent 3's stuff does not fit them at all. Maybe a direct will give us insight in the future. For now, let's see what happens tomorrow night when Nikki takes a look at it.
I think the Octos will definitely be saved for a 3.0 update, but it'll still be interesting to see what certain individuals can dig out of 2.2.0
Yeah, I think so too. It seems each time the version update goes up a whole number I assume it was due to a major change in the whole game. Splatoon 2.1.0 is definitely not the same game it was at launch.

Sunstone

Let's ink it up... together!
NNID
Paleamethyst
So then, it begs the questions;

What about hackers? Will we see Octoling hacker scare-mongering innocent Inklings with the threat of locking their plaza? And if the plaza soft-locking glitch is fixed, but Octolings STILL aren't playable, would those with hacking knowledge just say screw it and trounce around turf wars as Octolings, anyway?

aqua46

Inkling Cadet

What about hackers? Will we see Octoling hacker scare-mongering innocent Inklings with the threat of locking their plaza? And if the plaza soft-locking glitch is fixed, but Octolings STILL aren't playable, would those with hacking knowledge just say screw it and trounce around turf wars as Octolings, anyway?
don;t think the soft-locking can be fixed without releasing octolings, or pushing more octoling data. if it gets too bad, there's two things that can happen. nintendo can address the issue, push out the data sooner. or they can strip the data altogether, cancel squidmas.

Noire

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Kyseria

don;t think the soft-locking can be fixed without releasing octolings, or pushing more octoling data. if it gets too bad, there's two things that can happen. nintendo can address the issue, push out the data sooner. or they can strip the data altogether, cancel squidmas.
Well those just went against my whole theory. I have no idea on how Nintendo is going to handle it with that rather huge error floating about...

aqua46

Inkling Cadet
Well those just went against my whole theory. I have no idea on how Nintendo is going to handle it with that rather huge error floating about...
it's crappy, but entirely possible. thankfully the modding community handles itself well, and doesn't fuff about with public servers too often. the whole octoling issue was one guy who has the dev build, pulled the info himself, and was console and/or ip banned for it. was also chastised from the modding community, too. if more pop up, then we'll have something to worry about.

Noire

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Kyseria
it's crappy, but entirely possible. thankfully the modding community handles itself well, and doesn't fuff about with public servers too often. the whole octoling issue was one guy who has the dev build, pulled the info himself, and was console and/or ip banned for it. was also chastised from the modding community, too. if more pop up, then we'll have something to worry about.
If I were a game developer of a popular online multiplayer game, If something that can lock innocent players out of their saves happen to show up due to whatever reason, I'd make sure it's fixed in some way, even if that means releasing a character ahead of schedule (which I think is probably NOT happening).

If they found a way to fix the issue without releasing the Octolings (Which is unlikely as that would mean they'd basically be complete and ready for release), that's great. Hackers can't mess with us. But unless Nintendo is doing something special tomorrow, I see us still at square one with the Octoling issue just now with nerfed Rollers and Dynamos.

aqua46

Inkling Cadet
If I were a game developer of a popular online multiplayer game, If something that can lock innocent players out of their saves happen to show up due to whatever reason, I'd make sure it's fixed in some way, even if that means releasing a character ahead of schedule (which I think is probably NOT happening).

If they found a way to fix the issue without releasing the Octolings (Which is unlikely as that would mean they'd basically be complete and ready for release), that's great. Hackers can't mess with us. But unless Nintendo is doing something special tomorrow, I see us still at square one with the Octoling issue just now with nerfed Rollers and Dynamos.
I don't think we have much to worry about. if another hacker is found, the issue would be handled in a similar fashion. our save files are still exposed, though. but that's with any hacker. can't do anything about that, other than back up saves like we have been.

what i find worse is people are now actively attacking the open, friendly modders, like nikki. they think she was completely responsible, is distributing dev code, and is modding save files for everyone she encounters. that's hurting the community that usually backs customers the most.

Flipz

Senior Squid
NNID
FlipzMCL
I don't think we have much to worry about. if another hacker is found, the issue would be handled in a similar fashion. our save files are still exposed, though. but that's with any hacker. can't do anything about that, other than back up saves like we have been.

what i find worse is people are now actively attacking the open, friendly modders, like nikki. they think she was completely responsible, is distributing dev code, and is modding save files for everyone she encounters. that's hurting the community that usually backs customers the most.
See, that's where I take issue. I understand being upset, but taking it out on innocents is unacceptable. I think that part of our job as Octoling enthusiasts, both in-character and out, is to try to spread awareness and dispel malicious rumors about Octolings and the people who play them, to try and promote peace between the various camps.

aqua46

Inkling Cadet
See, that's where I take issue. I understand being upset, but taking it out on innocents is unacceptable. I think that part of our job as Octoling enthusiasts, both in-character and out, is to try to spread awareness and dispel malicious rumors about Octolings and the people who play them, to try and promote peace between the various camps.
yep. as members of O.C.T.O., we spread awareness, not fear.

Hopefully, everyone reading this thread will see this point in the conversation, and most likely understand what we, and the modders do to help customers and devs alike.

yes it's a shameless group plug. check it out, people.:rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom