• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Octoling Hype Thread (prev. Assets in SplatNet)

Zombie Aladdin

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Overhazard
Something else worth considering is that fighting games where you can play as the antagonist were designed with that in mind right from the start. Hence, even if there's little more than an excuse plot and the multiplayer is completely separated from the story at hand, there will usually be a reason provided in-game as to why the antagonist is wandering around fighting everybody (such as Akuma wanting to prove to the world that he's the strongest, so he seeks out high-profile fighters).

On the other hand, the Octolings became accidentally popular. It was a complete surprise to the Splatoon development team. For all they're concerned, the Octolings would live underground, come to the surface extremely briefly during Agent 3's assault, get splatted, and retreat back down for the rest of their lives. No reason is provided in-game to allow Octolings to come up and compete alongside the Inklings, and so they'd have to create one.

This is not like Mario Kart, where there is no plot and thus the sky's the limit with DLC, or Capcom Versus, which are always everyone against the villain (who is never playable) and multiplayer is depicted as friendly sparring or hostile encounters.

ShinyGirafarig

Inkling Commander
NNID
ShinyGirafarig
Switch Friend Code
SW-6085-7937-9686
Something else worth considering is that fighting games where you can play as the antagonist were designed with that in mind right from the start. Hence, even if there's little more than an excuse plot and the multiplayer is completely separated from the story at hand, there will usually be a reason provided in-game as to why the antagonist is wandering around fighting everybody (such as Akuma wanting to prove to the world that he's the strongest, so he seeks out high-profile fighters).

On the other hand, the Octolings became accidentally popular. It was a complete surprise to the Splatoon development team. For all they're concerned, the Octolings would live underground, come to the surface extremely briefly during Agent 3's assault, get splatted, and retreat back down for the rest of their lives. No reason is provided in-game to allow Octolings to come up and compete alongside the Inklings, and so they'd have to create one.

This is not like Mario Kart, where there is no plot and thus the sky's the limit with DLC, or Capcom Versus, which are always everyone against the villain (who is never playable) and multiplayer is depicted as friendly sparring or hostile encounters.
Don't they know that "evil" counterparts will always gain popularity?

aqua46

Inkling Cadet
On the other hand, the Octolings became accidentally popular. It was a complete surprise to the Splatoon development team.
Saying that always bothers me. nothing becomes accidentally popular. people like it. Some might like them simply because they're villains, but i think we mostly like 'em because they have an interesting, possibly sympathetic, and very unexplored story.

They aren't truly villains. What details we do have suggest a tragic tale, and what seems to be a down-trodden group who only want equal rights. What octavio wanted may not be related, but was ultimately what steered the octarians overall.

inklings are fascinating too, and although their details are just as thin and implied, we know and see enough of their world to understand their character.

a bit of story would go a long way with this dlc, and would explain why it's taking so long to push the update. plus, it seems nintendo are building up some story, with the initial images of goggle-less octolings, the past splatfest, and this "hacking" incident (which was hilariously timed with the real hacker drama).

Paragon-Yoshi

Inkling Cadet
Saying that always bothers me. nothing becomes accidentally popular. people like it. Some might like them simply because they're villains, but i think we mostly like 'em because they have an interesting, possibly sympathetic, and very unexplored story.

They aren't truly villains. What details we do have suggest a tragic tale, and what seems to be a down-trodden group who only want equal rights. What octavio wanted may not be related, but was ultimately what steered the octarians overall.

inklings are fascinating too, and although their details are just as thin and implied, we know and see enough of their world to understand their character.

a bit of story would go a long way with this dlc, and would explain why it's taking so long to push the update. plus, it seems nintendo are building up some story, with the initial images of goggle-less octolings, the past splatfest, and this "hacking" incident (which was hilariously timed with the real hacker drama).
I can agree with that.
And if they were to include more story to go along with playable Octolings, it would be all the better.
I would be the last one to object.

I was merely addressing this to people, who think it is impossible for Octolings to become playable, because they are enemies in Single Player and it would conflict with the lore.

I can agree that Mutliplayer plays part in the lore, since it the main thing Inklings do.
Multiplayer is the main selling point of the game after all...

But I still stand by the point, that it should be allowed to break canon, if it means adding an element that is fun to have.
If they go the extra mile to add story to it, in order for it to make sense, perfect!
But they don't have to!

MissingNumbers

Inkling Commander
NNID
MissingN
Switch Friend Code
SW-4262-2166-2532
But I still stand by the point, that it should be allowed to break canon, if it means adding an element that is fun to have.
If they go the extra mile to add story to it, in order for it to make sense, perfect!
But they don't have to!
Well, really it's out of character for Nintendo to break canon just for the sake of a game element. If they want to add a game element, they integrate it into the story rather than ignoring it.

aqua46

Inkling Cadet
I can agree with that.
And if they were to include more story to go along with playable Octolings, it would be all the better.
I would be the last one to object.

I was merely addressing this to people, who think it is impossible for Octolings to become playable, because they are enemies in Single Player and it would conflict with the lore.But I still stand by the point, that it should be allowed to break canon, if it means adding an element that is fun to have.
But they don't have to!
cool. exactly. I frankly don't care whether they break canonical reasons or not. wasn't arguing against it. story would be great, but folks who think they need a reason might be hoping for more nintendo will offer, which would be cool too if they did do something to intro them. if they plop 'em in there, with no reason at all, other than the direct info or press releases saying, "hey, octavio's gone. the octolings are here to party!", whatevs. I just want my octolings.

I mean, look at us. the anticipation is tearing us apart. inkling vs octoling, cars vs planes, cats vs dogs... again.

Last edited:

aqua46

Inkling Cadet
I'll be really disappointed if they don't do the world-building if Octolings are playable.
yeah, it'd be a bummer. i'd like more info too. we'll see. i mean, the teaser concept art seemed to take the octarians' motives in a completely different direction from what we have now. when octos are introduced, i want to know about their world in it's current state.

Last edited:

Noire

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Kyseria
They are going to. That's the Nintendo way. They know people want the Octolings and they definitely will have a inverse reason as to why you can now play as them. But don't say "Break the canon! It's Multiplayer anyway!" or people will start asking why we can't play as Callie or Marie, or any of the Shopkeepers at Booyah Base, or Spyke, or the Jellyfish around some of the stages. Oh wait, they already have...

I'm done trying to explain that Nintendo will not go against their lore for the sake of Multiplayer. As many have said, they do a lot of world building in their IPs and put more effort into the world around you than you think. And they've always explained why this is that and I don't see that changing any time soon.

PrinceOfKoopas

Inkling Commander
NNID
PrinceOfKoopas
They are going to. That's the Nintendo way. They know people want the Octolings and they definitely will have a inverse reason as to why you can now play as them. But don't say "Break the canon! It's Multiplayer anyway!" or people will start asking why we can't play as Callie or Marie, or any of the Shopkeepers at Booyah Base, or Spyke, or the Jellyfish around some of the stages. Oh wait, they already have...

I'm done trying to explain that Nintendo will not go against their lore for the sake of Multiplayer. As many have said, they do a lot of world building in their IPs and put more effort into the world around you than you think. And they've always explained why this is that and I don't see that changing any time soon.
I dunno, they didn't bother doing it for amiibo.

Edit: I'm specifically thinking Code Name S.T.E.A.M

Noire

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Kyseria
I dunno, they didn't bother doing it for amiibo.

Edit: I'm specifically thinking Code Name S.T.E.A.M
Code Name S.T.E.A.M. was developed by Intelligent Systems. I'm mostly referring to games developed by Nintendo's in house studios such as Nintendo E.A.D.

And the amiibo was just the same single player with different weapons. Nothing new happens there.

shy

Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-2855-0246-7213
Now I'm getting all excited. I've been hoping for playable octolings ever since I started single player when the game came out.

aqua46

Inkling Cadet
They are going to. That's the Nintendo way. They know people want the Octolings and they definitely will have a inverse reason as to why you can now play as them. But don't say "Break the canon! It's Multiplayer anyway!".
Never said, nor did i agree with, "break the canon," i only said, i wouldn't be too bothered if they did or not. I really want them to explain octos, and it's obvious they will offer reasons, but there's always a possibility. not a big one, but still a possible one. Nintendo is a company that relies on their creators to weave interesting products, that will maintain brand loyalty. Plus, they've already done so much to establish octolings in media, they definitely have something to explain octos.

but all that aside, when is that damn direct/patch coming?

Noire

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Kyseria
Never said, nor did i agree with, "break the canon," i only said, i wouldn't care if they did or not. I really want them to explain octos, and it's obvious they will offer reasons, but there's always a possibility. not a big one, but still a possible one. Nintendo is a company that relies on their creators to weave interesting products, that will maintain brand loyalty. Plus, they've already done so much to establish octolings in media, they definitely have something to explain octos.

but all that aside, when is that damn direct/patch coming?
Haha. Aqua, never did I state you were against it and we both agree that it would be nice to see an explanation. I was trying to explain why I don't think adding a new playable character/race without any reason is what Nintendo doesn't normally do since the sport is as far as I know for Inklings.

And yeah, where the heck is that announcement!? I'm counting the days at this point!

Last edited:

aqua46

Inkling Cadet
Haha. Aqua, never did I state you were against it and we both agree that it would be nice to see an explanation. It was mostly pointed at Yoshi for not seeming to care about the game's lore to just add big features (like a new playable character) without any reason as to why. Which I argued is not how Nintendo does things. Especially with this game.

And yeah, where the heck is that announcement!? I'm counting the days at this point!
i think we all have an addic... i mean, passion for splatoon. getting us all jerky and unstable. I need my fix ninty. give me an advance, please?

Noire

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Kyseria
i think we all have an addic... i mean, passion for splatoon. getting us all jerky and unstable. I need my fix ninty. give me an advance, please?
Ha! I don't think we have an addic- I mean passion for this wonderful game.

But, this week's got to be it. I've heard a strange rumor that Smash is getting a really fresh newcomer as DLC possibly next week. But as with all rumors, I don't believe them until Nintendo confirms it. But, that would explain why we haven't heard anything. What if Nintendo deals a double knockout next week, a fresh new Smash character, and the long awaited Splatoon update?

redacteddd

Banned (6 points)
NWPlayer said something about the data indicating there'd be an update two days after the JP splatfest, i could be remembering it wrong tho

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom