Octoling Hype Thread (prev. Assets in SplatNet)

Noire

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Kyseria
Just drop it dude. I hear where you're coming from, but there's no need to post meme pictures to prove a point. Let bygones be bygones and enjoy the game alright?

I also edited the post so it wasn't directed towards you. I'm sorry if I offended you. I wasn't trying to start something.

Last edited:

Zombie Aladdin

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Overhazard
Don't they know that "evil" counterparts will always gain popularity?
I do see that happen more often than not, now that you point it out. I've seen it happen in Sonic four times.

Saying that always bothers me. nothing becomes accidentally popular. people like it. Some might like them simply because they're villains, but i think we mostly like 'em because they have an interesting, possibly sympathetic, and very unexplored story.
Something CAN become accidentally popular. Not everything that's popular was engineered by its creators to become popular. You can never tell what the mainstream will latch onto, or what a fandom will latch onto. The Joker was originally intended to be a one-shot villain for Batman, for instance, and was to be killed off at the end of his debut comic book.

They are going to. That's the Nintendo way. They know people want the Octolings and they definitely will have a inverse reason as to why you can now play as them. But don't say "Break the canon! It's Multiplayer anyway!" or people will start asking why we can't play as Callie or Marie, or any of the Shopkeepers at Booyah Base, or Spyke, or the Jellyfish around some of the stages. Oh wait, they already have...
I'd like to play as Crusty Sean. It'd be hilarious.

Sunstone

Let's ink it up... together!
NNID
Paleamethyst
What's interesting is with the one Nintendo IP with a particularly messy canon, Mario, actually got a direct handwave from Miyamoto when he explained the series was treated like a cast of actors in a play. That's why they usually "play their parts" of Bowser kidnapping Peach and Mario saves her, only to all be go-karting and playing tennis the next game.

BUT... While I, too, would be happy if Octolings were just thrown at us cuz fun, Nintendo is taking far better care with Splatoon's lore.

Just gonna wait for that Nintendo Direct. I wonder who will host it now that Iwata has passed? Reggie? Xander? Nintendo's new president?

Paragon-Yoshi

Inkling Cadet
Something CAN become accidentally popular. Not everything that's popular was engineered by its creators to become popular. You can never tell what the mainstream will latch onto, or what a fandom will latch onto. The Joker was originally intended to be a one-shot villain for Batman, for instance, and was to be killed off at the end of his debut comic book.
Which is exactly the reason "accidentally popular" is such a silly term,
Because you can't foresee how popular each individual thing in your game can become.

People like what they are gonna like.
There is no accident in that.

Noire

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Kyseria
What's interesting is with the one Nintendo IP with a particularly messy canon, Mario, actually got a direct handwave from Miyamoto when he explained the series was treated like a cast of actors in a play. That's why they usually "play their parts" of Bowser kidnapping Peach and Mario saves her, only to all be go-karting and playing tennis the next game.

BUT... While I, too, would be happy if Octolings were just thrown at us cuz fun, Nintendo is taking far better care with Splatoon's lore.

Just gonna wait for that Nintendo Direct. I wonder who will host it now that Iwata has passed? Reggie? Xander? Nintendo's new president?
Yup. Mario doesn't really have a canon since Mr. Miyamoto sees them as actors fitting into any role depending on the game.

Now's the waiting game for the direct/announcement.

Zombie Aladdin

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Overhazard
I always figured Zelda is the Nintendo IP with the messiest canon, but perhaps they're messy in different ways. Both started out without much canon to begin with, but whereas Mario's canon became totally free and didn't care to contradict itself, Zelda's, from Ocarina of Time and onwards, retconned previous games into a general-universe canon and has built upon it since but with different people throwing their ideas into it all.

That is, Mario's canon is something akin to a Saturday morning cartoon, playing fast and loose with its own history, whereas Zelda's is more like a long-running comic book that's exchanged authors many times, sometimes with very different ideas about what to do with the franchise.

Which is exactly the reason "accidentally popular" is such a silly term,
Because you can't foresee how popular each individual thing in your game can become.

People like what they are gonna like.
There is no accident in that.
Well, you can have "accidental popularity" from the creators' perspective, and you can have "accidental popularity" from the audience's perspective. The latter is a matter of hindsight, and when you see things that way, very few things are truly accidental. The former is a matter of foresight, and few people in the world have that good of a grip on near-future mainstream tastes to consistently engineer something to become popular.

Perhaps a better phrase would be "unintentionally popular"?

Paragon-Yoshi

Inkling Cadet
Welp, one last try I guess...

I reviewed everything and I realized something...
"We all want the same thing!
So why are we arguing?"

Whether or not they make any additional story to justify playable Octoling, shouldn't have that much of an impact.

And once again, I would be the last one ot object to any sort of story behind Octolings and Inklings coming together and play Turf with their ex-enemies.
I am all for it and would definitely love to have it.

I know I was accused of "Not caring for the Lore!".
Which frankly, COULDN'T BE ANYMORE WRONG!

I love the Splatoon lore and care deeply for it.
The quirky, bright and colorful world on the front and the tragic, emotional and dark backstory behind the scenes, make this such an incredible and wonderfully crafted story.

But if they were to merely make the Octolings playable and do nothing else, I would be fine with it too.
Creating additional story-content like that, is an OPTIONAL THING!
Not something that is required.
And as such, IMO, they don't have to do it, if they don't want to.

The reason I have this stance, is because for game developers to go Extra Miles, like this one, is NOT A GIVEN!
The big companies are under constant pressure, especially in this "Era of permanent Impatience", as someone I know called it.
Everything has to go fast these days.
And as such, every second counts in video game development.
So naturally you wouldn't want to waste it on content, that, bluntly said, nobody's gonna care about.

If video game developers go the Extra Mile after all, then GREAT! PERFECT!
They definitely deserve respect for such dedication.

But if they don't, that's understandable too.

BTW: It's ironic than indie's don't have to deal with any of this.
Since people see them more as normal people (tho some still get pressured).

While people expect the big companies to produce games and content by the truckload.
Since they are big names and "Uber-Pro's", that should be able to do everything with a simple finger-snap.
(Of course, not everyone is like that. Reasonable people are still there.)

Reila

Inkling Fleet Admiral
However in NWplayer's twitter
someone discovered that the octoling has more facials added to them
I am aware of that, but that doesn't necessarily mean Octolings playable. It could mean a number of different things. Of course, I am hoping it means Octolings playable, but it's better to have expectations in check.

aqua46

Inkling Cadet

So why are we arguing?"

Whether or not they make any additional story to justify playable Octoling, shouldn't have that much of an impact.

And once again, I would be the last one ot object to any sort of story behind Octolings and Inklings coming together and play Turf with their ex-enemies.
I am all for it and would definitely love to have it.

I know I was accused of "Not caring for the Lore!".
Which frankly, COULDN'T BE ANYMORE WRONG!

I love the Splatoon lore and care deeply for it.
The quirky, bright and colorful world on the front and the tragic, emotional and dark backstory behind the scenes, make this such an incredible and wonderfully crafted story.

But if they were to merely make the Octolings playable and do nothing else, I would be fine with it too.
Creating additional story-content like that, is an OPTIONAL THING!
Not something that is required.
And as such, IMO, they don't have to do it, if they don't want to.

The reason I have this stance, is because for game developers to go Extra Miles, like this one, is NOT A GIVEN!
The big companies are under constant pressure, especially in this "Era of permanent Impatience", as someone I know called it.
Everything has to go fast these days.
And as such, every second counts in video game development.
So naturally you wouldn't want to waste it on content, that, bluntly said, nobody's gonna care about.

If video game developers go the Extra Mile after all, then GREAT! PERFECT!
They definitely deserve respect for such dedication.

But if they don't, that's understandable too.

BTW: It's ironic than indie's don't have to deal with any of this.
Since people see them more as normal people (tho some still get pressured).

While people expect the big companies to produce games and content by the truckload.
Since they are big names and "Uber-Pro's", that should be able to do everything with a simple finger-snap.
(Of course, not everyone is like that. Reasonable people are still there.)
Exactly. We want the same thing. Why is this even an argument? I didn't think anyone was accusing you of being against lore, only why they didn't think nintendo would skimp on story for a new IP. it's all good, and we're just anxious about the direct coming out, especially since they aren't addressing the glitches, update information, or anything relating to the game as it stands.

as far as indies go, they don't have multimillion dollar budgets, an established development cycle, a strong staff (though it's probably not better in the AAA scene), stock options, a baseball team, and a plethora of other perks of being a gaming sumo wrestler. They do the best they can as it is, and we love the good games they make. AAA titles may be small teams, or not be as supported by their publisher as other games, but they've spent tons of advertising on this game, made it a great new IP, and now we'd like a few cool surprises to go with it.

in the end, we're all just nerding out. ;p

Last edited:

Noire

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Kyseria

So why are we arguing?"
Ya know, I was wondering that too... I guess I went overboard with the whole "It's gotta make sense!" We all want the same thing, regardless of making sense or not. So, I apologize for arguing with you for no reason really. Even if Nintendo doesn't explain why, I don't care. Why? I get to play as a Octoling. I'll make up my OWN reason!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom