Octoling Hype Thread (prev. Assets in SplatNet)

Heroine of Squids

Inkling Cadet
NNID
bellpendant
It's definitely not got the same air as before. It's got more of a sad and depressing atmosphere to it. I mean, they clearly tried with what little they got (Splatoon and Mario Maker aside, that's a discussion for another day) but it feels all we got in the end was Cloud, Dragon Quest 3DS games, and.... a Bill eating donuts meme. It's not the same as with Iwata and it won't be as the direct was his child and now he's gone.

I do give them credit for at least trying to continue without him and not just throwing it in the trash. But please Reggie, for the love of god, show more interest in the direct. You sound, really bored. Bill clearly is more interested in the direct and shows more character and makes it slightly more fun to watch than Reggie these days.
I have a feeling future Directs won't have the same charm as they did before. I remember watching one part of the Direct that had Reggie talking about TP HD and he did sound pretty bored along with a bit of a depressed tone in his voice. I can't help but feel really sad for everyone at Nintendo right now. This year has been the worst for them. Everything went wrong for them, but to be serious here, they did bring this upon themselves when it comes to their game line-up. Heck, their condition's so bad now, they're not even one of the top 100 brands anymore while both Sony & Microsoft are still on there.

They're like a complete train wreck now.

fakecake

Inkster Jr.
Just a little bit of info on the newest update: shops and eye textures for octolings still haven't been fixed. That's pretty bad, but I think they're just holding those fixes back for the final octoling release.

There are 3 unreleased maps, but only one is already playable in the newest patch. It's the pool map("hiagari"), i made a little preview here(obviously, spoilers). The others are "office" and "quarry", but they only have object definitions.

EDIT: Got the platforms working, updated version here.

Last edited:

Noire

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Kyseria
I have a feeling future Directs won't have the same charm as they did before. I remember watching one part of the Direct that had Reggie talking about TP HD and he did sound pretty bored along with a bit of a depressed tone in his voice. I can't help but feel really sad for everyone at Nintendo right now. This year has been the worst for them. Everything went wrong for them, but to be serious here, they did bring this upon themselves when it comes to their game line-up. Heck, their condition's so bad now, they're not even one of the top 100 brands anymore while both Sony & Microsoft are still on there.

Yup, it was a strange direct to watch, nothing new and Reggie was really depressed and bored, and it almost felt like Bill wanted to really try to lighten up the office recently. He seems like a very positive and fun influence in the company. We'll hopefully see more of him.

I feel bad for them as well, I mean I grew up with them! I don't think this year went as planned at all especially with Iwata passing away half way in the year. And their game library this year is not very good, I agree with that. I want them to bounce back into the powerhouse they once were, but to do that, requires changes.

Also, @ThatBerkawitzSquid and @Zombie Aladdin I heard you guys loud and clear, I was wrong, hopefully they keep updating longer than January. Which they will, seeing how this game is selling super well right now.

Just a little bit of info on the newest update: shops and eye textures for octolings still haven't been fixed. That's pretty bad, but I think they're just holding those fixes back for the final octoling release.

There are 3 unreleased maps, but only one is already playable in the newest patch. It's the pool map("hiagari"), i made a little preview here(obviously, spoilers). The others are "office" and "quarry", but they only have object definitions.
They know we're datamining every update they put out now. They're intentionally holding back on updating critical parts so they can "surprise" us. So the Octoling fixes will be held back until they officially launch them.

Tent-attack

Inkster Jr.
NNID
C_r_4_g_u_s

Well maybe the American direct had a slightly depressing feel, but the European one seemed the same as normal. Mr. Shibata seemed quite upbeat and cheerful, but then there was that one guy who was monotone and static. He literally didn't move his body and pronounced Pokèmon sssoooo wrong it made me physically ill. :mad:

Back on subject though, I'm not sure if we will get Octolings. I'm not saying I'm against having them in the game, in fact, I'd love the variety, but I'm not holding my breath on Nintendo adding them in soon, if at all. I see Nintendo using them as a big selling point for the inevitable sequel. ;)

Heroine of Squids

Inkling Cadet
NNID
bellpendant
Yup, it was a strange direct to watch, nothing new and Reggie was really depressed and bored, and it almost felt like Bill wanted to really try to lighten up the office recently. He seems like a very positive and fun influence in the company. We'll hopefully see more of him.

I feel bad for them as well, I mean I grew up with them! I don't think this year went as planned at all especially with Iwata passing away half way in the year. And their game library this year is not very good, I agree with that. I want them to bounce back into the powerhouse they once were, but to do that, requires changes.
Losing Iwata is just like losing a family member. It's not the same with that person around, and I know that's how everyone at Nintendo is feeling. Right now, I think the company needs to have a fresh start. Find some new talent and hopefully that person will be just as good, if not better, than Iwata. I may not like Iwata all that much during his presidential role, but I still respect all of the things he did for the company. Now that he's gone, the company's falling apart. I fear next year will be even worse for them judging by their early 2016 line-up.

Only thing I want to see them do is make some changes like adapting to modern times and find some new talent. They need a new start right now.

CM2

Inkling Cadet
NNID
chenmaster2
I understand some people are not happy with Cloud being in Smash 4 instead of the Inklings. However we should know that developing a character can take somewhere around six months and if that was the case then Cloud was likely planned before the release of Splatoon. It's risky making a new character while at the same time you don't know if their series will be successful. Plus Splatoon is a new IP. I bet Sakurai wants to see it grow before deciding whether or not to put them in Smash 4.

Zombie Aladdin

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Overhazard
Wow, so much negativity here. I didn't really see much wrong with the Wii U line-up this year. I just got 2 new WIi U games this week.

Noire

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Kyseria
I understand some people are not happy with Cloud being in Smash 4 instead of the Inklings. However we should know that developing a character can take somewhere around six months and if that was the case then Cloud was likely planned before the release of Splatoon. It's risky making a new character while at the same time you don't know if their series will be successful. Plus Splatoon is a new IP. I bet Sakurai wants to see it grow before deciding whether or not to put them in Smash 4.
Nah, Cloud's fine. I understand why he's here and he will bring a lot of money for Ninty. I still can't believe he's from the 90's. I feel so old. It is odd that Sony couldn't finalize the rights for him for PS All Stars, but Nintendo sure as heck can get the rights for him despite Cloud being mostly associated as a Sony character. Still, he looks like a lot of fun to play as and his stage looks great. But Cloud is the kinda character you'd put at the end of the direct, as great as the Inklings are. Nobody saw him coming and that's what made the direct for some. Inklings (With possible Octoling alt) will likely be announced at the Smash Direct in December when it's likely more than just one character announced.

Losing Iwata is just like losing a family member. It's not the same with that person around, and I know that's how everyone at Nintendo is feeling. Right now, I think the company needs to have a fresh start. Find some new talent and hopefully that person will be just as good, if not better, than Iwata. I may not like Iwata all that much during his presidential role, but I still respect all of the things he did for the company. Now that he's gone, the company's falling apart. I fear next year will be even worse for them judging by their early 2016 line-up.

Only thing I want to see them do is make some changes like adapting to modern times and find some new talent. They need a new start right now.
Don't I know it, most of the recent memories of Nintendo is when it was under Iwata's wing. The day I heard he passed away, it felt like I lost a part of me. I was crushed that day. Also, I agree. The company needs a new start and a new vision of itself. They can start by not naming the NX the "Wii Whatever" and the "Whatever DS" they should go for a new name. And they need more than just Bill (as memetic as he is) and get some young faces in the company. I mean, that's how Splatoon came to be, right? A fresh vision from a fresh set of young developers.

Aromaiden

Full Squid
Based on what I've seen so far, my conjecture is that Nintendo is trying to hold on until the NX

Paragon-Yoshi

Inkling Cadet
Back on subject though, I'm not sure if we will get Octolings. I'm not saying I'm against having them in the game, in fact, I'd love the variety, but I'm not holding my breath on Nintendo adding them in soon, if at all. I see Nintendo using them as a big selling point for the inevitable sequel. ;)
Again, seperate Octoling-Models used for playable Octoling, frequently updated AND IN THIS CURRENT GAME!!!
Why would they include this and update it, if they won't use it here?

Developing Octoling for this game, only to use it in a sequel, aka A SEPERATE GAME, makes no sense at all.

Of Moose & Men

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
MuhFugginMoose
Again, seperate Octoling-Models used for playable Octoling, frequently updated AND IN THIS CURRENT GAME!!!
Why would they include this and update it, if they won't use it here?

Developing Octoling for this game, only to use it in a sequel, aka A SEPERATE GAME, makes no sense at all.
Neither does Mega Latios and Mega Latias' data being in X&Y. However, they were there. Same applies to Kyurem knowing two moves in BW and not being able to learn them until BW2.

Not saying it won't happen, but just because it's there does not automatically mean we will be getting it anytime soon.

Hero of Lime

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Link643
Switch Friend Code
SW-5339-5185-8796.
Nah, Cloud's fine. I understand why he's here and he will bring a lot of money for Ninty. I still can't believe he's from the 90's. I feel so old. It is odd that Sony couldn't finalize the rights for him for PS All Stars, but Nintendo sure as heck can get the rights for him despite Cloud being mostly associated as a Sony character. .
If I had to guess, I bet Square Enix had little faith in PS All Stars being very good. That's probably why they would not want to put one of their biggest stars in the game. The same could be said for Snake. Konami probably didn't want Snake in the game, but were willing to put Raiden in since there would be less of a blemish to Metal Gear's image if PS All Stars did not do well. And we all know it didn't do well at all.

Smash Bros. is a safe investment, since game companies know their character is in good hands when it comes to their appearance in Smash.

Of Moose & Men

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
MuhFugginMoose
Yea, it's powerful evidence, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's coming now, or even anytime in the next few months. With the way they said "Free content at least until January" makes me think we won't be seeing them for a little while. I'm on your side, I like to believe we'll be playing as Octolings soon, but the more people expect it, the more upset people get.

And, going into the mindset of "But it's been updated so it's inevitable" isn't helping.

Heroine of Squids

Inkling Cadet
NNID
bellpendant
Well maybe the American direct had a slightly depressing feel, but the European one seemed the same as normal. Mr. Shibata seemed quite upbeat and cheerful, but then there was that one guy who was monotone and static. He literally didn't move his body and pronounced Pokèmon sssoooo wrong it made me physically ill. :mad:
With Iwata being Reggie's friend along with Miyamoto's, I think this is the main reason why Reggie didn't feel too energetic throughout the Direct. Losing someone you knew for years is pretty depressing and that's what everyone at Nintendo is feeling. I remember reading an article during Iwata's funeral months ago that Miyamoto was crying pretty hard that day. That goes to show you how sad it was for not just Nintendo, but everyone else in the gaming industry, too.

Anyway, I'm going to go back on topic here. We might end up seeing playable Octolings either December or January. There may be some hope left.

Noire

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Kyseria
I'd like to mention that Octolings were never promised for the direct. We just kinda assumed they'd announce them during it due to the nonstop teasing throughout October on top of what we learned though datamining but as you can see, that clearly wasn't the case. It's our fault for being hyped up for something that could not happen. Despite this, I do think a December release is the most plausible. It's something for the holiday season when all Nintendo has is Xenoblade X for new releases. I also think this is when the new Smash DLC will be released as well, the Smash website lists Cloud's release date at "TBD".
If I had to guess, I bet Square Enix had little faith in PS All Stars being very good. That's probably why they would not want to put one of their biggest stars in the game. The same could be said for Snake. Konami probably didn't want Snake in the game, but were willing to put Raiden in since there would be less of a blemish to Metal Gear's image if PS All Stars did not do well. And we all know it didn't do well at all.

Smash Bros. is a safe investment, since game companies know their character is in good hands when it comes to their appearance in Smash.
This is true, I heard a story that Square was on board at one point for PS All Stars, but they required Lightning to be in the game as well (This was during the Lightning era I believe), or no Cloud. I believe what I read, they didn't have time to make both characters so they just dropped the deal. Smash on the other hand, is a another beast. Square has the chance to put their character in one of the most popular and well known fighters in the world and of course they'll take it. Good for Nintendo for having another icon in their game, and good for Square, which raises Final Fantasy's brand awareness.

With Iwata being Reggie's friend along with Miyamoto's, I think this is the main reason why Reggie didn't feel too energetic throughout the Direct. Losing someone you knew for years is pretty depressing and that's what everyone at Nintendo is feeling. I remember reading an article during Iwata's funeral months ago that Miyamoto was crying pretty hard that day. That goes to show you how sad it was for not just Nintendo, but everyone else in the gaming industry, too.

Anyway, I'm going to go back on topic here. We might end up seeing playable Octolings either December or January. There may be some hope left.
Mr. Miyamoto was crying really hard at the funeral? That is really sad. Mr. Iwata's death was a massive blow to the gaming industry. Even Sony was hit pretty hard by it and tweeted their condolences. I remember waking up to news of his death, let's just say I didn't sleep well that night.

As for the Octolings, I'm placing my bets on December to beef up Nintendo's holiday releases. It's DLC, yes. But it's something to put out in the holiday season with almost nothing else out there this year. There's too much work put into them over the course of the year for nothing to happen. January does seem likely if we don't hear anything in December, but it's only the middle of November, so there's still a LOT of time to get the news.

Reactions: CM2

Paragon-Yoshi

Inkling Cadet
Yea, it's powerful evidence, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's coming now, or even anytime in the next few months. With the way they said "Free content at least until January" makes me think we won't be seeing them for a little while. I'm on your side, I like to believe we'll be playing as Octolings soon, but the more people expect it, the more upset people get.

And, going into the mindset of "But it's been updated so it's inevitable" isn't helping.
Nobody said anything about "right now".

Just that they must be coming.
Otherwise this frequent updating of the model makes no sense.

Zombie Aladdin

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Overhazard
But since they have been updated time and again, it is powerful evidence, speaking for playable Octolings.

Scrapped leftovers DO NOT GET UPDATED! Period
Who knows? Mega Latias and Mega Latios data exists in Pokémon X and Y because they were originally going to be in the game but were moved to Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire. As it stands, signs point to Octolings being playable now (and I hope they'll be), but who's to say a similar decision won't be made in the future?

It's going to take a long time, though, because Nintendo is a perfectionist company. They may have all the data, but taking it from the beta phase (if it's even in that phase) to gamma is going to take a long time and a lot of hours of hard work. Anyone in game design (any kind of game, not just video games) will understand that just because something is theoretically near finished doesn't mean it's even close to ready for public use.

That really says something when you consider that in Japan, men are not supposed to show much emotion when in public. A man crying hard is exceedingly rare, even in funerals, and shows just how much Iwata meant to Miyamoto.

Paragon-Yoshi

Inkling Cadet
Who knows? Mega Latias and Mega Latios data exists in Pokémon X and Y because they were originally going to be in the game but were moved to Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire.
Did they get updated, after the game's launch?
If not, then they were just scrapped leftovers.
With Octolings on the other hand, they did get updated time and again, AFTER THE LAUNCH!

As it stands, signs point to Octolings being playable now (and I hope they'll be), but who's to say a similar decision won't be made in the future?
Again, why would they update something with official update packs, if it isn't meant to be used?
It would only waste valuable resources and development time. Both of which are very precious.
And you don#t want to waste them on something like this.

It's going to take a long time, though, because Nintendo is a perfectionist company. They may have all the data, but taking it from the beta phase (if it's even in that phase) to gamma is going to take a long time and a lot of hours of hard work. Anyone in game design (any kind of game, not just video games) will understand that just because something is theoretically near finished doesn't mean it's even close to ready for public use.
No objections there.

But do not talk down the evidence that is presented.
Playable Octolings are pretty much confirmed. Otherwise Nintendo just wasted their resources and time.

On another note:
A list of YouTube comments. Some of them at least.

Sweirde
1 day ago
My god, can everyone just shut the hell up about the octolings already and instead apprieiciate what Nintendo is giving us now? It has never even been comfirmed they're ever gonna be playable, jeez. Now if you'll excuse me, I need to finish screaming of excitment on the inside..

Mario and Kirby fan 200398
1 day ago
+Sweirde so true Ofctolings are evil plus if people would shut up about Octolings the go in the good side if they want Octolings they are in the bad side but yes so true

Rose Hammond
1 day ago
+Mario and Kirby fan 200398 DJ octavio was actually using music to control the octolings so they may not be evil after all. But don't get me wrong I doubt that octolings will be added for many, many reasons such as the hats not fitting on the character models, nobody using regular squid models if they added an octo model for play, or just the fact that they could add new gear with the time they spent making the model safe for online multiplayer.

Mario and Kirby fan 200398
1 day ago
+Rose Hammond yeah

video gamer the third
1 day ago
In a way you are right but, I was really looking forward to octolings but smash kinda made up for it. As for the stages they don't look bad but it's nothing to lose sleep over.

1 day ago
+Rose Hammond You're wrong. There has been a seperate Octoling model around for Multiplayer, since June. And they even updated it frequently. Dataminers discovered that. What sense would there be, to update this, if it isn't gonna be used in some way? And stop making it sound like the "Hat-clipping" is impossible to fix. It can be done with a simple change of placement. Seriously, do your homework people.

Kirby 2356579
1 day ago
+Sweirde I almost exploded of excitement when I saw this. And they are adding one of the new maps tomorrow you say? ( Dies of excitement).

Sweirde
1 day ago
I think you're the one who "has to do your homework" because those were a hacker playing, it was not Nintendo themselves, Nintendo hasn't comfirmed ANYTHING about Octolings being playable. People should stop being so guilable, it will always be nothing else but squids who are playable.

Rose Hammond
21 hours ago
I know about NWplayer and he or she has made it playable, but it ruins others save files. They might come out in the future, but not very soon. I want to play as an octolings as much as the next person but it doesn't seem very realistic at the moment.

Rose Hammond
20 hours ago
But still I see where you are coming from, I think there are equal reasons supporting both sides but the best we can do for now is to not get our hopes up too much yet still keep in mind it is very possible to have octolings become playable in the future.

Slippy Toad
19 hours ago
+Rose Hammond They just have to remove the top part of their head so it will not pass through the hats. It's just as if the Inkling Boy's hair passed through a hat. It's not too hard. Make you an Inkling and Octoling randomly, or make special modes for them. And it would take some time to make them work. Since you could not play as them initially, they decided to add them when the game was already released. They will probably come in 2016 or around the end of the year.

DiamondNightcore&Bass
16 hours ago
I would love them to be playable but I know they won't be but to solve this they could simply make a octoling wing that covers the tentacles we already have the gear

Matt Halloran
16 hours ago
+Sweirde I'm glad I'm not the only one annoyed about the **** ton of people complaining about how they weren't announced.

DiamondNightcore&Bass
15 hours ago
+Matt Halloran I mean it's a very low possibility they will be released but maybe they will at some point in time probably no time soon

Sweirde
15 hours ago
No, they won't.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom