Octoling Hype Thread (prev. Assets in SplatNet)

Grizabella

Inkster Jr.
I think it's pretty safe to assume that octolings will be playable, it's just a matter of when. I'm still convinced they were meant to be released in october, and hence all the teasing, but they held off on the release for whatever reason (That, or Nintendo was completely unaware of what they were doing).
I think there's only two reasons right now that would stop octolings being released;
1. Nintendo decides to can the project. Yeah, I agree that it would be a waste of money/time/whatever, but that doesn't mean they can't/won't can it.
2. NWPlayer has been lying the entire time and there never were any updates to begin with. Not saying that I think Nikki is lying (Cause I honestly don't), but again it's a possibility.
With the youtube comment, I get the frustration over everyone complaining about octolings and stuff (cause the update was still awesome, and it's sad that it got overshadowed by lack of octolings!) but there's no need to be so aggressive over it :/

CM2

Inkling Cadet
NNID
chenmaster2
I think we underestimated the complexity of game development. The octolings are probably going through beta tests and they are making sure the head gears fit on their hair properly instead of just clipping through like if it was nothing. We shouldn't hype all the way up the next time we get another update.

Noire

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Kyseria
I think it's pretty safe to assume that octolings will be playable, it's just a matter of when. I'm still convinced they were meant to be released in october, and hence all the teasing, but they held off on the release for whatever reason (That, or Nintendo was completely unaware of what they were doing).
I think there's only two reasons right now that would stop octolings being released;
1. Nintendo decides to can the project. Yeah, I agree that it would be a waste of money/time/whatever, but that doesn't mean they can't/won't can it.
2. NWPlayer has been lying the entire time and there never were any updates to begin with. Not saying that I think Nikki is lying (Cause I honestly don't), but again it's a possibility.
With the youtube comment, I get the frustration over everyone complaining about octolings and stuff (cause the update was still awesome, and it's sad that it got overshadowed by lack of octolings!) but there's no need to be so aggressive over it :/
1. That would be a waste of money and human resources. Just wait a little longer before you jump off the ship.
2. The images she shared tells me another story.

Paragon-Yoshi

Inkling Cadet
Man, that Sweirde person was unnecessarily against Octolings being playable, to a rather aggressive degree. Calm down Sweirde! It's not that serious!
Yeah, I agree.
And those other anti-comments weren't any better either.

If you don't want to play as Octolings, that's fine.
But why hating the mere option that much?

Then again, it's YouTube we are talking about.
And you can't take most of its comments seriously.
People just love to hate for the heck of it, on there.

I think we underestimated the complexity of game development. The octolings are probably going through beta tests and they are making sure the head gears fit on their hair properly instead of just clipping through like if it was nothing. We shouldn't hype all the way up the next time we get another update.
Yeah.

Though personally, I still don't think fixing head-gear is a complex task at all.
If I am not mistaken, it even strikes NWPlayer as odd, on what's taking them so long.
One Twitter post of hers, even had her saying Nintendo might making some kind of "Octopolis" for the Octolings, as a way to explain why Nintendo takes this long.

And yes, it is odd indeed.
But we can theorize all we want, and in the end we come back to either "Octoboys", "Single Player Octoling Missions" or "Nintendo being a bully".
Aka we'd be running in circles all day.

Zombie Aladdin

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Overhazard
Did they get updated, after the game's launch?
If not, then they were just scrapped leftovers.
With Octolings on the other hand, they did get updated time and again, AFTER THE LAUNCH!

Again, why would they update something with official update packs, if it isn't meant to be used?
It would only waste valuable resources and development time. Both of which are very precious.
And you don#t want to waste them on something like this.
That's how dummied out content works: A decision could be made when a project, or part of a project, has undergone major progress, to cancel it. Maybe the project ran out of money. Maybe there were glitches no one could remove. Maybe the feature will be saved for the sequel. Maybe it's something else I hadn't thought of. In the case of Octolings, while I am pretty certain they WILL show up eventually (but you'll have to be patient for that--for a big company like Nintendo, even small decisions can take months to finalize), there is the chance, however small, that it'll get canned for any number of reasons.

Whether there is additional data in the updates or not has nothing to do with it. All it means is that Octolings are not CURRENTLY canceled.

An example of dummied-out content that made it very far and required a lot of time and effort was Ice Climbers in Super Smash Bros. 4. 3-D models had been made and finalized, they figured out exactly how all of their moves should work within the balance of the game, they decided what would make Ice Climbers different from when they were in Melee and Brawl--but they could not figure out how to get the 3DS to handle four pairs of Ice Climbers in one match without the 3DS crashing by overload. The development team tried and tried and tried, but they had to give up. I have no doubt hundreds of hours of hard work were put into Ice Climbers, and if they were determined, Ice Climbers may have taken more time than any other character. But there came a point where they just had to throw their hands up and continue the project without Ice Climbers.

Paragon-Yoshi

Inkling Cadet
Hardware limitations would hardly be an issue, with the Octolings.

And again, with the Smash Bros Ice Climbers, you were talking about content that was under development BEFORE the game's release.
When the game itself was still in development.

It may be a small difference. But it is a difference nontheless.

I concede that unexpected things always happen and Octolings could very well be cancelled.
But DO NOT deny the evidence that has been presented and say "Octolings shouldn't be playable" just for the heck of being a jerk.
(I meant those YouTube comments, not you BTW.)
And currently the evidence speaks a clear language. That we have very high chances of getting playable Octolings.

aceofscarabs

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Given the 'bugfix' Nintendo used to prevent further Plaza Crash bugs arising from Octolings being prematurely released into Inkopolis (by using a DLC flag to lock them), I suspect we may need to throw money at them to get Octolings.

Well I for one would feed them money via the eshop so they have more budget for maintaining the servers.

Zombie Aladdin

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Overhazard
Hardware limitations would hardly be an issue, with the Octolings.

And again, with the Smash Bros Ice Climbers, you were talking about content that was under development BEFORE the game's release.
When the game itself was still in development.

It may be a small difference. But it is a difference nontheless.

I concede that unexpected things always happen and Octolings could very well be cancelled.
But DO NOT deny the evidence that has been presented and say "Octolings shouldn't be playable" just for the heck of being a jerk.
(I meant those YouTube comments, not you BTW.)
And currently the evidence speaks a clear language. That we have very high chances of getting playable Octolings.
I'd agree with you there; I would bet on Octolings becoming playable in Splatoon before Splatoon 2 comes out (and that's not a matter of if, but when). There is the small chance, however.

Hardware limitations is most likely not an issue, but there are other reasons why something might be canned. The other reasons I stated were if time ran out (no chance of that), budget ran out (this is possible), or there's a glitch they must fix (also possible, particularly with headgear and clipping). Other possibilities, now that I'm thinking about why projects are canceled (this is a hot topic in anime right now with Rokka of the Six Braves's standard edition being pulled AFTER people had already paid pre-order money into it): There may be an order from higher up to cancel the project for any number of reasons (possible but unlikely), something illegal may have been done during the project that would get the company in trouble (very unlikely with this), an important person on the project leaves (this is always a lingering possibility with anything), or enough time has passed that the project's viability has become unfeasible (not for another few years).

But I think Nintendo knows about the Octolings' popularity and will make every effort, within reason, to make them playable. For people who don't like them, there is always the option of not using them, after all.

Note that, in my third paragraph, the likelihoods are specific to the Octolings, but the reasons themselves are general. Here are some general cases: Production on the Gizmondo was halted due to the Swedish Mafia's involvement in its creation. Sonic Xtreme was canceled due to a corporate restructuring with the game caught in it (which would fall under "order from higher up to cancel the project"). JoJo's Bizarre Adventure - Stardust Crusaders, while not a canceled project, spent 20 years in development hell because another company bought the rights to adapt JoJo's Bizarre Adventure and sat on it--Stardust Crusaders happened because those rights expired. Pinball Circus was canceled in 1998 because it was discovered to be too expensive to manufacture in large quantities; it was then revived in 2012 but canceled again due to the death of Python Anghelo, its creator, artist, designer, and overseer.

Paragon-Yoshi

Inkling Cadet
Honestly, again with the Head-Gear clipping, if they cannot fix something as simple as that, they should reconsider their jobs.
Especially since Head-Gear is not part of the Model of the Inkling/Octoling, but a seperate model, simply placed on top of the Inkling-Model.
It should be among the simplest of tasks, in terms of modelling, to move the "faulty" Head-Gear to a position that fits with the Octoling.

Why are you people constantly making this look like an impossible thing?

It's as simple as layers in Paint Programs, if you think about it.
Again, because all the specific gear in this game uses its very own model, placed on top of a "naked" Character-Model.

Anyway.
Risks are always there.

But Nintendo has always cared about their games and their content, giving each and everything proper polish.
And I do not think they are as shady as some of the other companies you have mentioned.

Of Moose & Men

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
MuhFugginMoose
It's much more difficult than "just cover it up". The male inkling have two small tufts of Hair that a hat or something just goes right over. Octolings do not. So, although yes, the gear has one model, the octoling would have to have several depending g on the type of head gear it is because of how sporadic the Octolings tentacles are. Headphones are easy with inklings, it just goes over the head and on the ears, but for octolings it would have to part the hair in a specific way. Hats would cover the top of their head but their bangs should still stick out. It's going to be much more than what you're making it seem. Not saying it's impossible, they're very capable of doing it, but it's far more work than you're giving credit.

Paragon-Yoshi

Inkling Cadet
Who says the Headphones have to be on the ears?
And if they have to be, there is a way to make the "clipping" look natural.
Or simply rotate them, so that is looks natural for the Octolings.

The head-gear doesn't have to overhaul the models.
Just be a little creative and improvise.

Of Moose & Men

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
MuhFugginMoose
Curious as to how many games you've developed.
Headphones are not the only things that would alter the Hair. I explained how hats would force them to create a new model for the hair, head bands would have to as well. They can't just clip out, it would look unnatural. Each type of head gear forces them to alter the hair styles, it has to be done.
With inklings you just pop the head gear on and call it good. The Octolings are much more intricate than that.
Regardless, it's more work than you realize.

Paragon-Yoshi

Inkling Cadet
You are overcomplicating things.

While I concede that a few pieces of head-gear might need some improvisation, most of the head-gear is easily fixed with a change of position.
Especially something as loose as hats should be easily fixed like that.

And headbands could very easily be positioned "under" their hair, aka you only see it on their foreheads.
Problem solved.

Again, you make this issue out to be harder to deal with, than it is.
So stop using this as an argument against Octolings.

Of Moose & Men

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
MuhFugginMoose
Lol, what? When did I say this meant they weren't adding them?

Don't put words in my mouth. I simply said that it requires more work to make all the head gear work on them. I NEVER said anything about it preventing Octolings from being playable in the future. I simply pointed out that you are making it seem like all it is is a simple drag and drop solution. It's not. And until you create your own 3D models, you won't understand that. It's one thing to say how things can be done, it's another to actually go about doing it.

Zombie Aladdin

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Overhazard
The only headgear I can think of that would not result in clipping issues are the fake contacts and the over-the-mouth bandanas. This is almost certainly the reason it's been taking a long time. Even more so considering new gear has been released.

NNID
namine753
All this talk about Octoling hair and headgear incompatability is tempting me to draw every possible combination to see how it could be worked around.
c-can you draw the octolings wearing the headphones around their necks, a bit like scarfs? I see some people do it, and I bet it would look good on the octos. I dont know if you were implying you could draw, I sorta just assumed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom