Octoling Hype Thread (prev. Assets in SplatNet)

Of Moose & Men

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
MuhFugginMoose
No one has said it's going to stop them. . .

I'm simply saying that they will have to rework everything that the hair would come in contact with. Hats aren't all the same either. Also, Gas Masks are troublesome, along with the Snorkels, the Night Vision Goggles, football helmet, etc. They will all require some sort of change to how the hair would naturally fall, meaning it would require more work. . .

Again, I'm not saying that is preventing them from making them playable, it is just more work that is required, and is likely a decent chunk as to what is taking so long.

Noire

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Kyseria
No one has said it's going to stop them. . .

I'm simply saying that they will have to rework everything that the hair would come in contact with. Hats aren't all the same either. Also, Gas Masks are troublesome, along with the Snorkels, the Night Vision Goggles, football helmet, etc. They will all require some sort of change to how the hair would naturally fall, meaning it would require more work. . .

Again, I'm not saying that is preventing them from making them playable, it is just more work that is required, and is likely a decent chunk as to what is taking so long.
You're right, there is likely a lot of new meshes they had to make to make some hats look right at all, which takes time. Octolings becoming playable was likely decided close to or after launch which means they didn't start doing serious work until after the game launched, and that's only 5-6 months of work. Development takes longer than people realize and the Octolings are a massive addition and with the way their tentacles work, a lot of work has to be done to get all hats to look right on them.

Noire

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Kyseria
I surrender....
Just can't.... go on anymore.

Again, we are on the same side.
Why are you on my neck? ;_;
I'm on your side, man. They're coming, there is enough proof for me to say that with confidence with your help and other's help. We're just speculating on what the hold up is, that's all! :D

Paragon-Yoshi

Inkling Cadet
Ok, just to be in the clear with you.
Let me ask some questions:

I guess we all want Octolings, so I won't even bother asking that question.

But, keeping everything NWPlayer and her datamining buddies have dug up in mind...
... do you believe they will be coming?
Do you believe it is likely they will come some time in the future?

Or do you believe it is a hopeless cause?
Because of the clipping or whatever other issues there might be?

Because I personally believe they will be coming.
And this hat-clipping will not stop them.
No matter how much other people seem to think of it as "impossible to fix".

I am not a fool.
Even I can see there is still work to be done.
But despite that, I still believe in my Octo's.

Noire

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Kyseria
Ok, just to be in the clear with you.
Let me ask some questions:

I guess we all want Octolings, so I won't even bother asking that question.

But, keeping everything NWPlayer and her datamining buddies have dug up in mind...
... do you believe they will be coming?
Do you believe it is likely they will come some time in the future?

Or do you believe it is a hopeless cause?
Because of the clipping or whatever other issues there might be?

Because I personally believe they will be coming.
And this hat-clipping will not stop them.
No matter how much other people seem to think of it as "impossible to fix".

I am not a fool.
Even I can see there is still work to be done.
But despite that, I still believe in my Octo's.
There is too much evidence pointing to their playability. It's a matter of "when" not "if". They will come, give it a little more time.

Noire

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Kyseria
Alright then. Guess we are on the same page after all.

For a moment I thought we were going back to "Octolings = Impossible".
Especially after that attempt to discredit me...
Nope they are not impossible. Far from it actually, they are coming, and likely in December. You've already did the facts, state the research, they're coming. We're on the same page, I want them just as much as you.

Flareth

Inkling Fleet Admiral
c-can you draw the octolings wearing the headphones around their necks, a bit like scarfs? I see some people do it, and I bet it would look good on the octos. I dont know if you were implying you could draw, I sorta just assumed.
Well, I wasn't being entirely facetious or serious either way. But if I do, I wouldn't be able to start until some time next week, and I wouldn't be finished until... mid-December, probably. And much more cartoony than it should be.

Jakkie

Full Squid
I kind of want something like Octo Brothers instead of Octo Sisters.
Eh, maybe. But It would be amazing to see the Octo Sisters, maybe they play more of a Industrial-type of music, who knows, but also.. I do honestly want to see a viewpoint of both races, like how they are on the war, what they believe in. And where have all the male Octolings gone, too. And what exactly are all the enemys you fight? How did they get to be like that? Also, It would be nice for them to put more effort into it after they give Multiplayer a overhaul.

But mostly, we need more hairstyles, hairstyles. Now. Also, it would be cool to see a real part 2 to the Singleplayer mode. Maybe those "Octo Sisters" Could fight with the DJ Octavio in the end. That would be amazing to see, and maybe Agent 1 and 2 could give you some help. c;

Paragon-Yoshi

Inkling Cadet
I do honestly want to see a viewpoint of both races, like how they are on the war, what they believe in. And where have all the male Octolings gone, too. And what exactly are all the enemys you fight? How did they get to be like that? Also, It would be nice for them to put more effort into it after they give Multiplayer a overhaul.
That would be interesting indeed.

The ones who explored the Splatoon lore to the fullest, already came to the conclusion that the Octarians are not evil at all.
They are just fighting for their own survival.

Welp, might as well talk about potential Octoling-based Lore.
What we do know, is that they lost the Great Turf War and were sealed into fragile underground domes.

And what little we know from before that, suggests a tragic tale, with nature itself forcing them to fight against each other, for territory, that has not yet been swallowed by the sea.

And now, in the present day, with all efforts of their own to keep the domes stable failed, they had to steal the Great Zapfish, to gain the necessary energy to survive.

That is the official lore so far.
Now let's continue with personal interpretations, as the lore leaves tons of room for the player's own ideas and interpretations.

I think the Octarians have been decimated, due to the Domes falling apart.
There aren't many of them left.
Which is why they are so desperate.

However, it seems that Octavio was so driven to madness by the disaster, that he became a tyrant, that would go so far to mind-control his own people ot do his bidding.
And it can be argued, that not everyone was with him. So he made sure that everyone followed his orders, no matter what.

Octavio is a tragic character.
First having his friendship with Cuttlefish torn apart by nature, then being sealed into those domes and then seeing his own people die by the masses.
Part of me feels for him.

In any case, the Octarians are victims. Victims of nature and the loss of a resulting war.
And victims of Inklings as well.
Keep in mind, it is the Inklings that sealed them into their oversized coffins.
And then did all this Anti-Octarian propaganda.

Knowing all this, I really do not feel good, being the Agent stripping them of their last hope and probably leaving them for dead.
However, if the doodles in the credits are not just some random doodles and actually have a meaning, then we can conclude that they will come together and live together in peace once more, like they used to.

Zombie Aladdin

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Overhazard
Eh, maybe. But It would be amazing to see the Octo Sisters, maybe they play more of a Industrial-type of music, who knows, but also.. I do honestly want to see a viewpoint of both races, like how they are on the war, what they believe in. And where have all the male Octolings gone, too. And what exactly are all the enemys you fight? How did they get to be like that? Also, It would be nice for them to put more effort into it after they give Multiplayer a overhaul.
The music that plays in the single-player mode is shown on the soundtrack to be music Octarians listen to, with DJ Octavio providing his own boss music. So that'd give you a good idea of what it would be like: Somewhat chaotic mashups and meandering techno.

As for delving deeper into the history of the Inklings and Octarians, I'm sure that'll be saved for a sequel. It's part of the reason why, I believe, Museum d'Alfonsino is an art museum and not a science museum (the other being that you're vandalizing valuable artwork).

G1ng3rGar1

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Switch Friend Code
SW-7732-8500-1233
The music that plays in the single-player mode is shown on the soundtrack to be music Octarians listen to, with DJ Octavio providing his own boss music. So that'd give you a good idea of what it would be like: Somewhat chaotic mashups and meandering techno.

As for delving deeper into the history of the Inklings and Octarians, I'm sure that'll be saved for a sequel. It's part of the reason why, I believe, Museum d'Alfonsino is an art museum and not a science museum (the other being that you're vandalizing valuable artwork).
Turquoise October-who's music I love. Anyone knows who is part of Turquoise October's real life counterpart(s?) so we could possibly fantasize about the member(s?)
I'd love to see more Octoling lore. I already have my head canon that male Octolings exist and usually are pampered and kept safe while the females and grunts(or whatever) form the army. Anyone else have any Octocanons?

Joseph Staleknight

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
JStaleknight
Switch Friend Code
SW-1169-3473-1031
I'd love to see more Octoling lore. I already have my head canon that male Octolings exist and usually are pampered and kept safe while the females and grunts(or whatever) form the army. Anyone else have any Octocanons?
Funny, I always thought they were stuck at desk jobs working their butts off 24/7 while the girls get to have fun fighting any "squid trash" coming their way. Octavio, being their leader, is the lone exception.

redacteddd

Banned (6 points)
Octolings are what Shadow the hedgehog is to Sonic. At least pre-Sonic Adventure 2 Shadow.

G1ng3rGar1

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Switch Friend Code
SW-7732-8500-1233
Funny, I always thought they were stuck at desk jobs working their butts off 24/7 while the girls get to have fun fighting any "squid trash" coming their way. Octavio, being their leader, is the lone exception.
XD Dude now I'm thinking of Octarian State Farm
Stupid commercials :P

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom