Octoling Hype Thread (prev. Assets in SplatNet)

CM2

Inkling Cadet
NNID
chenmaster2
Very likely, with the Octoling being the frontrunner. Although Callie and Marie wouldn't be bad either~!

Apparently, there will be a Black Friday Wii U bundle that has both Smash and Splatoon, take that as you will.

And I'm still waiting for Octolings... News soon, Nintendo?

$300 Wii U Deluxe Bundle
-$50 Black Friday Deal
-$60 SSB for Wii U
-$60 Splatoon
-$30 Coupon

Bam the $100 Wii U deal you've all been waiting for!

Demonic Labrys

Pro Squid
NNID
Omega_Snakey
The bundles maybe gone quickly cause how popular the games are XD

Or how cheap the prices are

Heroine of Squids

Inkling Cadet
NNID
bellpendant
Super Mario Maker and Super Mario 3D World are the only standard Mario games worth playing on the Wii U and the only ones I would personally recommend. The only spin-off worth recommending is Mario Kart 8 due to the high production values and the non cookie cutter roster. (It's not a normal roster with characters like Villager and Link). Nothing else is worth giving a squit about honestly. But if Mario is not your thing, then I totally respect that! :)

Of course, I agree. I'm getting burned out of Mario despite me being a huge fan, and I just ordered Yoshi this morning. I wish Nintendo would stop giving Mario so many games nobody wants like Mario Tennis.

But seriously, Where's my new Metroid game? What happened to Zelda U? Where's Custom Robo? Why are you sending Chibi Robo to his early grave with a platformer nobody asked for instead of giving him the console game he deserves? Why is the Fire Emblem crossover game look like waifu trash instead of a Medieval epic the series used to be regardless of SMT's presence? Why did Donkey Kong get a better side-scroller than Mario did (I don't care, Tropical Freeze was THE side-scroller on Wii U)? Where's a Wario game that isn't a crappy minigame fest? Where's F-Zero? Where's a new Animal Crossing game? (amiibo Festival doesn't count), Where's Wave Race and 1080 since the Gamecube?

Nintendo is sitting on many of their IPs but they just make Mario game after Mario game. After the token Mario Platformer of that gen, give your other IPs some love too. We need more variety than just Mario. My optimism hopes for the Direct next week. But we'll see regarding that. I want the Octolings like, super bad.
Game makers aren't my thing and I don't consider SMM a 'game'. I do admit that 3D World's good, but it's just NSMB in an isometric view. MK8's fun despite its questionable character choices. Imo, I think both 3D World & MK8 are the only good Mario games on the Wii U. Every other one just looks bland and not very fun to me. And trust me, I used to be a big fan of Mario. The only reason I got tired of the series lately is because it's the only franchise Nintendo cares about while they treat their other IP's like ****. Mario games these days just don't have the same spark as they did back in the 80's/90's/2000's, but I guess I'm talking like an old woman who says "Back in my day, Mario games were more creative and didn't play it safe all the time" here.

Concerning their other IP's, I don't like where they're going with them. Zelda's become a series where there's nothing but spin-offs & remakes while having an online multiplayer game that is very underwhelming along with being more of a comedy with no serious dark moments in it (it's like WW, but without the more serious moments). The new 'Metroid' game has chibi soldiers in it that has no relation to the Metroid series. Animal Crossing has a game that's like a stripped down version of New Leaf and a Mario Party clone with the dreaded Amiibo gimmick. Fire Emblem has become 'otaku bait'. Chibi Robo has become a 2D platformer and that's what killed the series permanently. The new Star Fox game looks like Star Fox 64 2.0, but with graphics that look like something straight out of the GCN. As for some of their other IP's they abandoned? Well, they're never gonna bring them back due to lacking any kind of new ideas for them. God, I hope they don't mess up Kirby & Pokemon next.

adamjoseph

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Adamjosephc
Edited with that, I forgot about it. I did have a lot of fun with SM3DW with my brother. Thank you for reminding me of that.
No worries. Sorry if I came across as hostile... I just really liked that game!

But honestly - it's really just those two games. NSBMU was super underwhelming to me. I played the first two worlds and just stopped.

I had fun with Mario Kart 8, but I haven't revisited it. It was short lived for me. I got better mileage (vroom vroom) out of MK7.

Noire

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Kyseria
This or next week is likely when they'll air the direct. There's no reason to air it in December. Yokai Watch and amiibo Festival will be out by then so unless Nintendo decides to just hide in their headquarters for the next two weeks they'll need something to deliver to us in that time frame since they can't talk about Yokai Watch or amiibo Festival. And there is no doubt that Nintendo will announce Octolings in said Direct, the evidence is too much.

Game makers aren't my thing and I don't consider SMM a 'game'. I do admit that 3D World's good, but it's just NSMB in an isometric view. MK8's fun despite its questionable character choices. Imo, I think both 3D World & MK8 are the only good Mario games on the Wii U. Every other one just looks bland and not very fun to me. And trust me, I used to be a big fan of Mario. The only reason I got tired of the series lately is because it's the only franchise Nintendo cares about while they treat their other IP's like ****. Mario games these days just don't have the same spark as they did back in the 80's/90's/2000's, but I guess I'm talking like an old woman who says "Back in my day, Mario games were more creative and didn't play it safe all the time" here.

Concerning their other IP's, I don't like where they're going with them. Zelda's become a series where there's nothing but spin-offs & remakes while having an online multiplayer game that is very underwhelming along with being more of a comedy with no serious dark moments in it (it's like WW, but without the more serious moments). The new 'Metroid' game has chibi soldiers in it that has no relation to the Metroid series. Animal Crossing has a game that's like a stripped down version of New Leaf and a Mario Party clone with the dreaded Amiibo gimmick. Fire Emblem has become 'otaku bait'. Chibi Robo has become a 2D platformer and that's what killed the series permanently. The new Star Fox game looks like Star Fox 64 2.0, but with graphics that look like something straight out of the GCN. As for some of their other IP's they abandoned? Well, they're never gonna bring them back due to lacking any kind of new ideas for them. God, I hope they don't mess up Kirby & Pokemon next.
That's totally cool if you're not interested in SMM! We all have very different tastes after all. And I agree with the Mario stagnation, I remember when Super Mario Sunshine took so long to properly introduce because Mr. Miyamoto was worried other companies will copy FLUDD. I miss that kind of creativity. I do wish they would revisit their old IPs like they did back in the GCN. If you feel like a old woman, I feel like a old man trying to explain to people how big of a deal Duck Hunt actually was in the 80's/90's and why he's a bigger deal than the Ice Climbers ever were (I know, because I played Duck Hunt with the Zapper).

No worries. Sorry if I came across as hostile... I just really liked that game!

But honestly - it's really just those two games. NSBMU was super underwhelming to me. I played the first two worlds and just stopped.

I had fun with Mario Kart 8, but I haven't revisited it. It was short lived for me. I got better mileage (vroom vroom) out of MK7.
No, that's fine. I wasn't thinking correctly last night so no worries! I really did like that game a lot, but mostly for the co-op, the music, and Rosalina :p. Me and my brother played through NSMBU and we finished it but we couldn't even go through Luigi U without getting bored.

Me and my brother really loved Mario Kart 8. The DLC really helped it and made it stand on it's own compared to other titles in the series. I really wish Mario Kart 7 had a Single Player VS mode, that's what's keeping it from being an amazing game if you ask me because the tracks were really good. It's still a great game and I can't dislike it, I put up with it for 200 hours to get the golden kart from coins. It handled oddly on my old 3DS before it died. I should give it a romp on the new one to see how it handles now on my new one.

Last edited:

Noire

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Kyseria
Wondering, how would you feel about a Duck Hunt HD?
That would be totally awesome if that happened! Duck Hunt along with Super Mario Bros. is what even started me playing games! They were my first ever video games! I want Duck Hunt HD so bad. I'll probably buy Duck Hunt on the eShop tonight just to relive my childhood but I gotta charge some money so I don't dip into my DLC funds.

Anyway, back to the topic on hand...

I want Octolings to settle the score with Inklings in all sorts of Splatfests. The rivalry is too much! Hopefully Nintendo delivers the goods soon.

D

Deleted Member

My biggest gripe with Mario Kart 8 is the character roster. Metal Mario? Baby Rosalina? Pink Gold Peach? Seriously?

There's too many Koopa characters as well. If MK8 just got DLC for Birdo, King Boo and Diddy to be playable, the game would have so much more variety and fun as a result.

Noire

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Kyseria
This sounds pretty neat, could you elaborate a bit on Inkling vs Octoling splatfests?
Not so much the entire Inkling vs entire Octoling splatfests, but seeing what side has more of a certain race. It would be interesting and it would bring variety. It would be like, "Gee I see a lot of Octolings on this side and they say, I see a lot of Inklings on this side".

Once the "new car smell" of the Octolings inevitably wear off in the future. There will be people who will stick to them and it'll be interested which side in splatfest has more of one side, that's all. I can't wait to see how much the game will change in the future, the Octolings being one of those changes.

Heroine of Squids

Inkling Cadet
NNID
bellpendant
That's totally cool if you're not interested in SMM! We all have very different tastes after all. And I agree with the Mario stagnation, I remember when Super Mario Sunshine took so long to properly introduce because Mr. Miyamoto was worried other companies will copy FLUDD. I miss that kind of creativity. I do wish they would revisit their old IPs like they did back in the GCN. If you feel like a old woman, I feel like a old man trying to explain to people how big of a deal Duck Hunt actually was in the 80's/90's and why he's a bigger deal than the Ice Climbers ever were (I know, because I played Duck Hunt with the Zapper).
Unlike Splatoon, I really don't see myself playing SMM in the future. I'll just wait for the next big 3D Mario game.

Mario games back then had more memorability to them and they felt more innovative compared to the modern ones. Remember when Super Mario 64 was a very big deal for being the first 3D game to use analog controls? Like Duck Hunt, it may not be a big deal now, but back then, it was an extremely huge deal. You just have to be there in order to get it. That's what I really miss. The Mario series just don't have that same magic that older titles had.

My biggest gripe with Mario Kart 8 is the character roster. Metal Mario? Baby Rosalina? Pink Gold Peach? Seriously?

There's too many Koopa characters as well. If MK8 just got DLC for Birdo, King Boo and Diddy to be playable, the game would have so much more variety and fun as a result.
I'm okay with the Koopas. Just get rid of the stupid babies and the two different versions of Mario & Peach.

G1ng3rGar1

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Switch Friend Code
SW-7732-8500-1233
Man, is it me or is every feeling really depressed here?
Okay, what do you guys think the male Octolings(if they make them) will look like?

Noire

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Kyseria
Unlike Splatoon, I really don't see myself playing SMM in the future. I'll just wait for the next big 3D Mario game.

Mario games back then had more memorability to them and they felt more innovative compared to the modern ones. Remember when Super Mario 64 was a very big deal for being the first 3D game to use analog controls? Like Duck Hunt, it may not be a big deal now, but back then, it was an extremely huge deal. You just have to be there in order to get it. That's what I really miss. The Mario series just don't have that same magic that older titles had.
Totally fine, it's a very fun but insanely frustrating game due to the trash people put up on the Expert mode....

Oh, I remember Super Mario 64 way too well. It was THE game back in the 90's before nostalgia pandering was a tactic Nintendo used. You wanted a N64 for SM64. Nothing else mattered. So many commercials featuring that game, everyone talking about it, seeing Mario's artwork for that game everywhere. It was that game that saved the N64 from becoming a Wii U from the wrath of the Playstation. Playing it at a young age left a big impression on me and I cannot forget that era.

People who play it now don't get why we older gamers love it so much. When all you played was 2D games and here comes this amazing epic featuring your favorite Nintendo plumber like you've never seen him before in 3D, it will leave a huge impression on you, especially at our young age back then. Because nostalgia pandering wasn't a tactic back then, and "HD" wasn't even in our thought process back then, they let their creative juices flow with the limited hardware of the N64.

That's why Splatoon is so amazing, because it's made without any nostalgia pandering and made use the hardware it was made on kind of like SM64 was. But it's the only example of such on the Wii U despite it's other great games, Splatoon is new and fresh and something we didn't expect, I want more games like this from Nintendo and stop milking Mario for all he's worth. Give him a little break and he can come back in his former glory for the NX.

The Octolings being playable is more like wanting Luigi being playable in SM64 for me. When I was a kid, I was like, "Why isn't Luigi playable, he's kinda similar to Mario..." kinda like the Octolings, "Why they aren't playable? They're very similar to the Inklings..." I was a strange kid sometimes. I mean Luigi finally got the playable role in SM64DS so hopefully we don't have to wait that long for the Octolings.

Okay, what do you guys think the male Octolings(if they make them) will look like?
They'd have a very different approach to their design than the male Inklings. I'm not sure what to think of exactly, but maybe a short tentacle style with bangs all over like a "pretty boy" design. Edit: here's my pretty crappy drawing but it should give you an idea. I'm sorry if he's too similar to the female, I used her as a reference.

Last edited:

CM2

Inkling Cadet
NNID
chenmaster2
I totally get your concern but right now Nintendo is kinda caught in a sticky situation right now where two of their biggest holiday games for 2015 got delayed and thus Nintendo can't really talk much without spoiling The Legend of Zelda Wii U and Star Fox Zero and what their new titles will be without a Nintendo Direct.

G1ng3rGar1

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Switch Friend Code
SW-7732-8500-1233
I totally get your concern but right now Nintendo is kinda caught in a sticky situation right now where two of their biggest holiday games for 2015 got delayed and thus Nintendo can't really talk much without spoiling The Legend of Zelda Wii U and Star Fox Zero and what their new titles will be without a Nintendo Direct.
Yeah, I get that. I really do hope Kimishima-san can help bring Nintendo around. That being said, this is supposed to be about Octolings :)
They'd have a very different approach to their design than the male Inklings. I'm not sure what to think of exactly, but maybe a short tentacle style with bangs all over like a "pretty boy" design. Edit: here's my pretty crappy drawing but it should give you an idea. I'm sorry if he's too similar to the female, I used her as a reference.

Nice! I saw a Male Octoling design similar to that for this fanfiction about the Octoling Prince, and I do like that design for him. I also like this other one I saw...I would need to go look it up...

Zombie Aladdin

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Overhazard
Oh hey I know you. You're the one who did the Pokemon Battle Revolution videos when the Nintendo Wi-Fi servers were still up. You're a great Pokemon battler from what I have seen. :)
Yep, that's me. PBR battles would get 1,000 views within 24 hours, and other videos would enjoy like 600 to 800. Now I'm uploading Splatoon, Super Mario Maker, Super Smash Bros. for Wii U, Mario Kart 8, and One Piece: Unlimited World Red and struggle to get 100 views in that same time frame. (For the record, Splatoon gets the second-lowest viewership of that list, with only OPUWR getting a lower one. The one featuring Trafalgar Law is the exception, outdoing everything else, but if you're familiar with One Piece, you'll know he's a crazy popular character.)

Though I think what really did me in was when YouTube switched from a view-based algorithm to a retention-based algorithm to determine what will be in the "Suggestions" column. That and my refusal to become a YouTube Partner because I'm already operating in a legal gray area; you can see that Suggested videos are predominantly from Partners. I'm also operating under "no narration in the video; I'll let the description handle that" in the age of PewDiePie and Egoraptor.

I'll never really know for sure, since I wouldn't be able to personally ask the people who stumbled across videos during my golden age. However, I do get the occasional comment from someone telling me they're surprised I'm still putting up videos; they thought I had stopped because they weren't finding my videos in their Subscriptions list or on the Suggested column.

But I digress--I'm going to guess that Nintendo's been very quiet as of late because Kimishima is in charge, and he comes off to me as more of the quiet, in-the-office-doing-calculations kind of person rather than the loud, upfront person Satoru Iwata was, and that the reason it took a few months after Iwata's passing is that they were still rolling out the ideas Iwata had.

I want Bowser Jr. on the roster. That's really the only one I want left.

But just you wait--Octolings will become playable in Mario Kart 8 before Splatoon. The single-player mode stages are so very easily converted into Mario Kart racetracks. They even each have their own allegro versions on their home stretches!

And for the record, I do still play Mario Kart 8 regularly, and I haven't bored of it. I just had a hankering for it yesterday, so I palyed for about an hour and a half.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom