Personal opinions on buffs/nerfs that should happen

Blue24

Inkling Commander
NNID
bluebomber2425
I'm not going to get into a debate of 'what if' situations. If you're in a S or S+ room you're going to die being attacked from behind.

And no, I'm not defending dynamo. You're complaining about all variants of rollers.

If you don't get 1 shot you will still die because you get trapped in their ink.
......that's never happened to me once. I have literally no issues with blasters.

Kaze

Pro Squid
I don't have a problem with any rollers at all even if there are latency, if you play smart you should still be able to splat them without trading and I'm not even a good player... :oops:

Kaze

Pro Squid
you know that if you have enough :ability_bombrange: you can throw an :splatbomb: from your high ground to the enemy's high ground in the center area of the moray towers map, that will surely scare away any dynamo rollers and with that kind of range you can safely scare away dynamo rollers trying to defend an area on any map.

you're also talking like you never ink the area around you to prevent ambushes by rollers... :scared:

if you think I'm stupid, go ahead and say it...

Jeremyx7

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Jeremyx7
Rollers have never given me a problem personally and from my point of view they have to be extra careful because of their lack of range. Even though the dynamo has range however it's extremely slow in everything it does and is very very vulnerable in so many situations.

They're not OP what so ever. Now some of the players who know how to use rollers wisely and effectively, those are the ones to look out for, but because of their knowledge of how to use rollers instead of the weapon being the reason itself.

WeirdChillFever

Pro Squid
Some tweaks I'd make:

Buff Ink Mines.
Right now they're very avoidable, easy to detect and only one can be out at the same time.
I'd buff it by allowing the player to replace an old mine by placing a new one.
I'd also give it a bigger blast radius, with the outer parts of the blast dealing 70 damage while the "current" blast radius still OHKOs
This way you can swim to avoid an instant splat, but you're weakened HP-wise and you stand in enemy ink.

Nerf Splash Walls, they're meant as protection for firefights, not a insta-splat super trap.
I'd nerf its HP and its default stand-time.

Nerf Cold-Blooded
There's no reason clothing should nerf a special.
Make it so that wearing the clothes reduces the locating time from 12ish seconds to 7.
It's still a good ability, but doesn't invalidate a bloody special.

MrL1193

Inkling Cadet
Each of those weapons you listed either fire slow, or have low times to kill.
If by "low" time to kill, you actually mean "slow" (because they're opposites in this case), let me just remind you that the Splattershot doesn't fall under either of those categories.

Look, I personally think the Dynamo Roller is really strong. I'm not quite ready to call for nerfs yet, but I can understand why people complain about it. But even from a somewhat sympathetic perspective, I think the nerfs you've outlined are just ludicrous, especially for non-Dynamos. Slower swing speed and no ability to aim during the windup? You might as well be calling for people to go back to the brain dead steamroller attack plan that was used during the Global Testfire; at least that way, they wouldn't be a sitting duck for a full second as they helplessly watch the enemy strafe to the side and blast them into oblivion.

This has been said before, but it bears repeating: Ambushes are something that should allow any weapon to win an encounter. The mere fact that rollers are a bit more consistent at getting ambush kills does not make them OP.

Krozo

Full Squid
NNID
KrozoMagnus
Seekers do need a buff. I don't even use them, but I feel bad for the people who get basically nothing from there side weapon.

At the same time, I fear buffs/nerfs will change things too drastically at some point. This game seems balanced enough so far that I don't see it happening, but who knows what people will find that could make a single weapon better than the rest.

I almost feel like the slosher is more powerful than the dynamo roller. It has less range/spread, but it's pretty darn fast for a splat weapon.

D_Neon

Inkster Jr.
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
When it comes to rollers I only have a problem with Carbon Rollers (although that's mostly because my lag means they often jump out of what I thought was my ink) and Dynamo Rollers on some stages, Dynamo's can get really abusive with their spread if they have a high ground on a splash zone map that's difficult to approach anywhere beside the front, but that's the stage's fault mostly.

I also have a problem with the skill level to power output but that's a personal grudge *cough* Sloshers can be side strafed but Rollers can't *cough*.

River09

Inkling Cadet
NNID
King_Felix
I absolutely believe rollers are fine as is. They have a very wide hitbox and quick time to kill but lack range. Any weapon can gun rollers down before they reach them is going to gun them down. Rollers have to play smart and look for opportunities to exploit their great up close game.

As for Dynamo it has great power and range but seriously bad mobility and speed. If you avoid at least 1 of their waves you have another 1-2 seconds before they can do it again. I believe Dynamos are strong but certainly not unbeatable. Besides, when you actually put them up close like the rest of the rollers they are a lot less intimidating to weapons with good time to kill.

As others have said before smart rollers are what you should be wary of not the weapon itself. It applies to every weapon in the game period.

BeanYak

Full Squid
NNID
Catman789
This is a shooter, not Smash, and not rock paper scissors. **** off.
It's not a smash thing. Play/Counterplay has been a thing in just about every competitive game. It's a key aspect to MOBAs and RTS games, too. That's why they have picking and banning phases in Dota, and that's why scouting is important in SC2.

TheMH

Inkling Commander
NNID
The_MH
Blasters have no range.
One thing which annoys me about blasters is their ability to shot through the pole on the tower in TC. I can hide behind it against every other weapon in a 1v1 (even Dynamo Rollers), but blasters are really a pain in that mode.

BeanYak

Full Squid
NNID
Catman789
One thing which annoys me about blasters is their ability to shot through the pole on the tower in TC. I can hide behind it against every other weapon in a 1v1 (even Dynamo Rollers), but blasters are really a pain in that mode.
I think that's just part of their uniqueness and their balance. I really like that ability, because by choosing the blaster, your team can now stop a tower with just one player, and you aren't completely ****ed if the rest of your team is respawning.

Sitri

Full Squid
NNID
SitriStahl
It's not a smash thing. Play/Counterplay has been a thing in just about every competitive game. It's a key aspect to MOBAs and RTS games, too. That's why they have picking and banning phases in Dota, and that's why scouting is important in SC2.
Splatoon is not an RTS or MOBA. More importantly, Splatoon does not let you know what the enemy has until the game has already started and it's too late to switch.

Teshie U

Inkster Jr.
I do not think any of the sub weapons were meant to be especially good at splatting your opponents. Its all about controlling space and cornering them so you can take aim with your primary weapon or perform some sort of utility.

Burst Bomb explodes on contact but won't splat a healthy squid on its own.
Suction Bomb is meant to be noticed and avoided, it controls a large area and forces opponents out of choke points and objectives (one well placed bomb should vacate a tower).
The other bomb can be used to make trick shots off of walls and is a nice middle ground.
Seekers can increase your mobility and you can squid behind them and punish foes as they avoid the explosion.

Ink Mine I would say does need a bit of a buff. I'd appreciate of it functioned at the same speed it does now, but with the option to remote detonate like C4 by pressing the button again. It would still be mildly useful as it is now, but it could be early activated to increase precision.

Agosta44

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Agosta
This is a shooter, not Smash, and not rock paper scissors. **** off.
Is this a case of wanting to play Aerospray and not accepting it's a bad weapon or something? You seem to have a skewed perception of how the game plays.

BeanYak

Full Squid
NNID
Catman789
Splatoon is not an RTS or MOBA.
You're right, it encompasses all of video games.

More importantly, Splatoon does not let you know what the enemy has until the game has already started and it's too late to switch.
Smash doesn't let you strike stages either, but people still do that. First of all, people get around the limitations of a game all the time. Second, these things are subject to change.

Sitri

Full Squid
NNID
SitriStahl
Smash doesn't let you strike stages either, but people still do that. First of all, people get around the limitations of a game all the time. Second, these things are subject to change.
Smash lets you know what stage is going to be picked beforehand.
There is no such ability to do this in Splatoon unless you purposefully tell the other team what you're using.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom