Personal opinions on buffs/nerfs that should happen

novel

Inkster Jr.
Nerf: specials that make you invulnerable should not be able to push the tower in tower control. Kinda like how ubercharged players cant capture points or push the payload in TF2.
this . 100 % this

DeltaFixer

Full Squid
NNID
RCDelta
Last-Ditch Effort should be left unchanged for the most part, but maybe make it so the effect lasts throughout Overtime in Ranked Battle.
THIS. I was so surprised to see that it didn't last through overtime. Both abilities should get a buff.

Overall, I'd say I'm really happy with Splatoon's balance. Sure, there are things that could use buffs and nerfs, but that's every competitive game for you. Nothing is outright broken to the point of ridiculousness.

The Goomy

Inkling
NNID
IAmTheGoomy
People who are talking about the Dynamo Roller's ability to get kills/be killed really probably don't have an understanding of why the weapon is so good and why it's used so often.

Of course getting kills is nice, but more than anything the Dynamo is so good at map control. No other weapon in the game has the ability to spread ink at the distance, efficiency, and speed that the Dynamo does. Dynamos are not supposed to be approaching the enemy anyway, so saying that it loses in 1v1 situations is pretty irrelevant (and worst case you're going to get a trade anyway). But more importantly, it's just so hard to approach the Dynamo in many situations (places that good Dynamo players go like the ramp on Kelp Dome) that it's almost impossible to prevent the map control from happening. This supports the team a tremendous amount and is just annoying to deal with. Due to this, it's almost required that you have a Charger on every team to counter the Dynamo, or you'll never win the map control battle - which is how you win in pretty much every Splatoon game mode.

In the realm of supporting the team (what a Dynamo should be doing), it's almost a skill-less weapon as the only necessary information to use it effectively is the correct place to stand on every map and repetitively fling down into crucial areas. It just makes it so hard for the opposing team to have any movement options and chokes off huge areas of the map.

Do I think it's broken? No, but it is borderline. It's easily the 3rd best weapon behind Tentatek and E-liter, but it's certainly the easiest to use.

sammich

Inkling Cadet
Some changes I would like to see.
Squiffer. Presently it has less range than the Jet Squelcher and Splatling, and is the only weapon to have its range. Slightly increase its range to match the Jet Squelcher and Splatling. Increase its movement speed while charging by ~50% to ~75%. I want it to noticeably be more maneuverable since even with this proposed range buff it would still have much less range than the other snipers and they can match its charge time to kill with Strength Ups.
wait are you serious :l
what am i even doing playing this weapon *cries in a corner*
sometimes it feels like i might as well be playing a different sniper with the exact same play style but for ink efficiency and ink coverage.

LMG

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Squiffer. Presently it has less range than the Jet Squelcher and Splatling, and is the only weapon to have its range. Slightly increase its range to match the Jet Squelcher and Splatling. Increase its movement speed while charging by ~50% to ~75%. I want it to noticeably be more maneuverable since even with this proposed range buff it would still have much less range than the other snipers and they can match its charge time to kill with Strength Ups.
That might actually throw it off balance. The Jet Squelcher is already the slowest splatting shooter, and the Heavy Splatling needs to charge up before achieving that range (and even then it's not very accurate to reliably splat distant enemies), so both of them have very noticeable downsides. The Squiffer already charges very fast, to the point where I just avoid them in the battlefield since I can't beat them even when I catch them off-guard (and last time I tried to use my range advantage they just walked forward a bit and took me out); increasing the range would mean its only real disadvantage would be gone, making it a one-shot machine gun with little to no ways to fight it; even less when they use the Bubbler
Honestly, I fear the day players start using this beast efficiently. That said, I'm indifferent at the mobility increase :ability_runspeed:

Trunks159

Full Squid
NNID
Trunks159
Yeah, the Squiffer doesn't need a buff. The Splattershot Pro is more annoying to me.

Psycho_Wendigo

Resident World Devourer
NNID
PyschoWendigo
The hitbox of the Rainmaker's shield needs to adjust based on the terrain it was dropped, me and my teammates got pushed into the water by it too many times on Bluefin

Kaliafornia

Splatin' through Inkopolis with my woes....
NNID
Kaliafornia
No one has really mention maps yet but I feel like blackbelly needs to be nerfed for rainmaker. Maybe it's a bit too early to tell but when playing with lower rank friends we were able to completely destroy many Japanese S/S+ teams in the first 30sec-1min. I feel like positioning of rainmaker goal by spawn needs to change, no reason to go any other way then clear across the map. I mean we were able to work this to our advantage so I can't complain too much but as far as competitive play that map just seems like whoever gets control first and the first 3 kill can get a knockout super easy. Not sure what needs to change, the map would probably need a urchin underpass type revamp but games end way to fast.

LMG

Inkling Fleet Admiral
No one has really mention maps yet but I feel like blackbelly needs to be nerfed for rainmaker. Maybe it's a bit too early to tell but when playing with lower rank friends we were able to completely destroy many Japanese S/S+ teams in the first 30sec-1min. I feel like positioning of rainmaker goal by spawn needs to change, no reason to go any other way then clear across the map. I mean we were able to work this to our advantage so I can't complain too much but as far as competitive play that map just seems like whoever gets control first and the first 3 kill can get a knockout super easy. Not sure what needs to change, the map would probably need a urchin underpass type revamp but games end way to fast.
In that case isn't what you want a "buff" to improve it instead of a "nerf" to make it worse? o_O

Kaliafornia

NNID
Kaliafornia
In that case isn't what you want a "buff" to improve it instead of a "nerf" to make it worse? o_O
Well I thought when something was overpowered it was nerf. I guess it depends on your perspective on what side of the coin you are looking at. Semantics/game speak aside it needs to be fixed to balance the map in that mode. I mean I like the sudden KO aspect but no reason why me and my friends of mixed rank should be able to so easily take out top ranked teams.

Trunks159

Full Squid
NNID
Trunks159
This. The map is simply too small.

River09

Inkling Cadet
NNID
King_Felix
is there another weapon with a lower skill ceiling?
Most short ranged rapid fire weapons have lower skill ceilings. If you seriously wanted to introduce someone to Splatoon and they asked which weapon to start out with the Dynamo just wouldn't be close. Heck, all other rollers are easier to get into. The mobility is the main reason alongside the fact that you can't spam attacks like other weapons.

Kaliafornia

NNID
Kaliafornia
Most short ranged rapid fire weapons have lower skill ceilings. If you seriously wanted to introduce someone to Splatoon and they asked which weapon to start out with the Dynamo just wouldn't be close. Heck, all other rollers are easier to get into. The mobility is the main reason alongside the fact that you can't spam attacks like other weapons.
I agree with this. I'd give them a Tentatek (while I think the weapon requires a good deal of skill to use to its max potential, its a great starter weapon).

The only safe method of taking out a Dynamo is with a charger, however you can take one out 1v1 without too much trouble if you have a mid-ranged weapon and can time their flings since they have very poor mobility. I think most people's compliant with Dynamo come from laggy Dynamos. Rollers in general have the most game-effecting lag (close second being chargers shooting you through walls, but happens way less) since they can OHKO. There is no way to time a laggy Dynamo though (who have killed players without even facing them) or tell if they are laggy until you engage.

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
Lots of weapons are fine as is IMO, there are a few which i would change (Nozzlenose needs more ink coverage, swap subs with the e-litre vanilla and custom sets so pure damage e-litre builds won't be that dominating anymore, ect)

On the other hand, abilities IMO need some tweaking:

:ability_inkresistance: : For reasons everyone said already, essential whenever you're playing roller or charger it's too good. I'd rather have it be that a portion of this perk would instead be active w/o choosing ink resist.

:ability_coldblooded:: This one should not exist, ever. It makes just as much sense as a soundproof perk to make yourself immune to killer wail, everyone picks this just to counter echolocator and not point sensor/lolhaunt and if none of the enemy has tracking it's a wasted slot. Ideal would be to nerf all tracking slightly and remove this perk entirely, but i don't think that's possible anymore.

:ability_specialcharge::This one needs diminishing returns, seriously.

:ability_haunt:: Haunt isn't used b/c of the aforementioned cold-blooded, which sucks b/c it isn't a bad ability especially if you happen to get ambushed and you want to warn others. If cold blooded is here to stay, it should at least be less affected by it.

:ability_inksaversub:: Needs to save more, period. Compared to main saver it just doesn't hold up.

:ability_bombrange:: I'm fine with this ability, but it really should also affect sprinkers.

:ability_bombsniffer::At the moment, i don't find it useful. Maybe have it give warnings for other things instead?

:ability_comeback:: The 20 second timer means you'll mostly get only a few seconds of mileage out of it when you get back into the fray. Maybe have it last slightly longer?

:ability_specialduration:: Also fine with this ability, but it should also affect killer wail by having it last longer.

:ability_specialsaver:: At the moment, it saves far too little whenever you get splat, considering splats shouldn't happen that often while perks like charge up stays active all the time. It really needs a (very) strong buffing.

River09

Inkling Cadet
NNID
King_Felix
:ability_coldblooded:: This one should not exist, ever. It makes just as much sense as a soundproof perk to make yourself immune to killer wail, everyone picks this just to counter echolocator and not point sensor/lolhaunt and if none of the enemy has tracking it's a wasted slot. Ideal would be to nerf all tracking slightly and remove this perk entirely, but i don't think that's possible anymore.
I don't think that it should not exist but I would absolutely say it needs a nerf. Most abilities don't do much to impact your play doing about a 10% difference on one main but CB stops 75% of all echolocators or point sensors from being effective. That's way too much. 25% I would think would be max.

Similarly with Ink Res it makes your maneuverability much, much better in enemy ink. Over 250% even after the nerf on the 1.30 patch. That's insane making it by far the best shoe ability and probably best in the game that is worth it on any weapon.

MacTheWriter

Full Squid
NNID
CotePowerRangers
That goddamn rollers.

This needs to be nerfed. Like, a lot.

My opinion is totally original.

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
I don't think that it should not exist but I would absolutely say it needs a nerf. Most abilities don't do much to impact your play doing about a 10% difference on one main but CB stops 75% of all echolocators or point sensors from being effective. That's way too much. 25% I would think would be max.

Similarly with Ink Res it makes your maneuverability much, much better in enemy ink. Over 250% even after the nerf on the 1.30 patch. That's insane making it by far the best shoe ability and probably best in the game that is worth it on any weapon.
The big problem there would be that Echo would easily become the best special in the entire game if you significantly nerf Cold-Blooded.
Giving CB only %25 reduction would make it useless. You also have to keep in mind CB only (heavily) affects a few instances where you'll be tracked, whereas other abilities have a more widespread effect. Which is why i wonder CB even exists, if it's just stops one special from being overpowered when you can nerf the special in the first place.

Reactions: 1o2

TheMH

Inkling Commander
NNID
The_MH
:ability_bombrange:: I'm fine with this ability, but it really should also affect sprinkers.
Does Bomb Range Up not affect sprinklers already? I thought I noticed a difference the last time I played a weapon with sprinkler, but I'm not 100% sure either...
The one thing it should affect is splash walls, though. These aren't affected yet.

Comeback grants 20% buff on 5 (!) stats during the 20 second period which makes it balanced just right in my opinion. Make that 30 seconds and it will be hugely overpowered.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom