• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Personal opinions on buffs/nerfs that should happen

D_Neon

Inkster Jr.
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
I personally have a vendetta against Seekers, but I'll let that slide since no-one uses them at my rank anymore (my biggest problem was spamming them down corridors, which completely blocked them for those approaching).

Other than that I have small problems with balance.

I feel Dynamo Roller's range could be reduced a little bit, it gets pretty ridiculous, especially with how hard they can be to approach.

Ink Mine needs a buff to be usable on something other than TC. I think being allowed to have one more out would be pretty good if they had their blast radius reduced. Having the same blast radius and an extra would probably be pretty ridiculous without adding some weird interactions with how they act when close together, like having a limit on how close you can put them, or ink mines being destroyed if hit by the explosion of one of you others. At the very least being able to ditch the last mine by placing a new one should be doable. Hopefully these would also improve Bomb Detector.

I agree that slowing to a halt the instant you contact enemy ink is currently a bit too much, because not only is it making Ink Resistance a huge ability, but it makes low spread weapons that much weaker.

I think that's it. I agree with what people are saying about Splash Walls being too powerful, but I mostly only encounter this at specific areas in maps and usually when there are 2 on their team. I always seem to fall pray to opportune Krakens but that's probably not a balance thing (that said the inability to see the timer on it is annoying with how much it can change with their special duration increases).

Lag Chan

Inkster Jr.
I guess I'll say iit

BURN THE DYNAMO ROLLER OH MY GODDDD
Please not my precious Dynamo ;-;
For reals, it's already the least used of the Rollers and is the one that takes the most effort to use, don't make it any harder than it already is to use.
For me personally I'd like to see some subs buffed. Disruptor, Point Sensor, Ink Mines all need something. Disruptors could do with some better range, Point Sensor just needs to be more useful in general, and Ink Mines need a bigger radius and the ability to remote detonate them by placing another mine down. Soon as a new mine is placed the old one detonates.
Probably a few buffs to some other weapons would be nice, give the Squiffer and the Jet Squelcher some buffs, all the blasters except the Luna Blaster and maybe give the Nozzlenose something to make it more appealing.

StayPuft

Pro Squid
NNID
cellularSP
Only thing off the top of my head that I can think of is maybe reduce the base time you have to use the inkzooka, and have it so that a single main ability special duration up brings it to the time it has now, but that might be nerfing it a bit too much since it already requires 220p to get it.

Sitri

Full Squid
NNID
SitriStahl
I don't know what I would want to do with subs or abilities, but I only have a few qualms with the current weapon balance:

All rollers should get a much slower swing speed when coming out of squid form, and they should no longer have the ability to turn during their swing animation. On top of this, remove the hitbox from behind.
Specifically for the Dynamo, lower its swing speed even more and add a distinct sound to it to allow players to properly react to the oncoming tidal wave. Damage falloff should be increased so the weapon isn't so much of a monster when it gets the high ground.

The .96 Gal should get a slight range decrease so it doesn't invalidate the other medium-range shooters and Jet Squelcher as much. To balance out this range nerf, I would decrease the spread a tiny bit to reward proper aim and make the weapon more consistent.

I'd like to see something done about both Squelcher classes. I feel the Dual Squelcher needs slightly longer range than the Splattershot Pro, as it kills slower and requires more shots to kill. For the Jet Squelcher, I would like to see its rate of fire increased slightly so there isn't such a disparity between it and the medium-range shooters.

The two invincible abilities(Kraken/Bubbler) should have a vulnerability period before and after their invincibility periods to promote smarter usage.
Finally, the Inkzooka should have slower projectiles and a less forgiving hurtbox on these projectiles to promote skilled use while giving players an easier time to avoid these shots.

SquiliamTentacles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Mr_Squigggles
Disruptor, Point Sensor, Ink Mines all need something.
I agree the latter two need a buff, but Distuptors actually are really good alone. The only real problem is that they were given to 3 meh weapons with major flaws. (Custom Jr. has poor range, Blaster has poor fire rate, L-3 nozzlenose has poor turf coverage, Killer Wail is meh for the second two.) As with Point Sensors, I think extending their duration would help greatly, and I think your Ink Mine idea is really good.

I honestly think the clothing abilities need more balance. Buff things like Opening Gambit and Last Ditch Effort by increasing the strength of each effect (after all, it is only for 30 seconds.) Buff Recon somehow (I honestly don't know), buff Stealth Jump back to pre Update 1.3, and give Bomb Sniffer some bomb resistance. Nerf Ink Resistance a bit more.

Agosta44

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Agosta
All rollers should get a much slower swing speed when coming out of squid form, and they should no longer have the ability to turn during their swing animation. On top of this, remove the hitbox from behind.
Specifically for the Dynamo, lower its swing speed even more and add a distinct sound to it to allow players to properly react to the oncoming tidal wave. Damage falloff should be increased so the weapon isn't so much of a monster when it gets the high ground.

Blue24

Inkling Commander
NNID
bluebomber2425
Nerf Ink Resistance
Increase Ink Mine Blast Radius
Add more benefits to Opening Gambit and last ditch
Slightly reduce the new ink strike impact
Nerf Coldblooded to 60%

Blue24

Inkling Commander
NNID
bluebomber2425
I don't see what the problem is. Rollers are pretty dominant right now, and nearly impossible to counterplay if they get the jump on you.
The dynamo Nerf's are overkill imo. I don't like rollers hitbox though. If the side of a roller grazes your toe, your dead; to me that's silly.

Agosta44

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Agosta
I don't see what the problem is. Rollers are pretty dominant right now, and nearly impossible to counterplay if they get the jump on you.
Dominant where? Splash Walls and Chargers > everything in current meta. Anything that gets the jump on you is nearly impossible to counterplay.

Want to counter a Roller? Learn Charger or Blaster.

The dynamo Nerf's are overkill imo. I don't like rollers hitbox though. If the side of a roller grazes your toe, your dead; to me that's silly.
That's because you get squished when it touches the ground.

Kaze

Pro Squid
well... if you are careful around corners and swim backwards if you except a roller ambush, you will be too far away for the roller flick to 1 hit splat you.

and regarding the dynamo roller, if you have a long range weapon with decent fire rate you should be able to take them out before their slow flick can splat you, even :ability_bombrange: will let you throw a :burstbomb:, :splatbomb:, :suctionbomb: from a safe distance, you can even swim as close as possible and throw a :splashwall: to survive the flick and splat them.

that's just mine ideas though... :oops:

Sitri

Full Squid
NNID
SitriStahl
Dominant where? Splash Walls and Chargers > everything in current meta. Anything that gets the jump on you is nearly impossible to counterplay.

Want to counter a Roller? Learn Charger or Blaster.
Other weapons absolutely allow for counterplay, as they are either difficult to use, or take multiple shots to kill. Rollers are overkill where it is near impossible to fight back due to latency and the speed at which their flicks come out. Having to bring certain weapons to deal with a single threat is asinine and turns the game into rock-paper-scissors.

well... if you are careful around corners and swim backwards if you except a roller ambush, you will be too far away for the roller flick to 1 hit splat you.
Latency doesn't allow you to outshoot a Dynamo. The other rollers swing too quickly out of squid form to allow you any sort of chance to fight back. There's no real risk to using any of the rollers, and you're guaranteed at least a trade unless you completely screw up.

I'd like to hear exactly which changes or combination of changes you don't agree with. The rollers in general are too forgiving for the amount of damage they are able to deal out.

Agosta44

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Agosta
Other weapons absolutely allow for counterplay, as they are either difficult to use, or take multiple shots to kill. Rollers are overkill where it is near impossible to fight back due to latency and the speed at which their flicks come out. Having to bring certain weapons to deal with a single threat is asinine and turns the game into rock-paper-scissors.
What weapons allow counterplay when they ATTACK YOU FROM BEHIND? You die in 2 hits by 96, 52, octobrush, bucket, nozzlenose. You die in 1 hit from all Blasters, all Chargers, all Rollers. 3 from Splattershot. Everything else is either you die while running away or if they suck you escape. You either die or run away. There is no counterplay. If you think there's counterplay you're playing against noobs.

Sitri

Full Squid
NNID
SitriStahl
What weapons allow counterplay when they ATTACK YOU FROM BEHIND? You die in 2 hits by 96, 52, octobrush, bucket, nozzlenose. You die in 1 hit from all Blasters, all Chargers, all Rollers. 3 from Splattershot. Everything else is either you die while running away or if they suck you escape. You either die or run away. There is no counterplay. If you think there's counterplay you're playing against noobs.
Each of those weapons you listed either fire slow, or have low times to kill. With fast enough reactions, you can squid away or turn around to fight back. The Dynamo is an instakill with a high chance that the tidal wave will still come directly for you even if you do mange to kill the user.

I find it telling that you're defending the weapon so much when you list it as a main in your signature.

Blue24

Inkling Commander
NNID
bluebomber2425
...Blasters primarily only Ohko at point blank.

Agosta44

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Agosta
Each of those weapons you listed either fire slow, or have low times to kill. With fast enough reactions, you can squid away or turn around to fight back. The Dynamo is an instakill with a high chance that the tidal wave will still come directly for you even if you do mange to kill the user.

I find it telling that you're defending the weapon so much when you list it as a main in your signature.
I'm not going to get into a debate of 'what if' situations. If you're in a S or S+ room you're going to die being attacked from behind.

And no, I'm not defending dynamo. You're complaining about all variants of rollers.

...Blasters primarily only Ohko at point blank.
If you don't get 1 shot you will still die because you get trapped in their ink.

Sitri

Full Squid
NNID
SitriStahl
I'm not going to get into a debate of 'what if' situations. If you're in a S or S+ room you're going to die being attacked from behind.

And no, I'm not defending dynamo. You're complaining about all variants of rollers.
I play in S and S+ rooms consistently, and no other weapons give me as much trouble as the rollers.
The Carbon is fine, but the other two variants require much more effort to deal with than the amount of effort necessary to use them.

Agosta44

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Agosta
I play in S and S+ rooms consistently, and no other weapons give me as much trouble as the rollers.
The Carbon is fine, but the other two variants require much more effort to deal with than the amount of effort necessary to use them.
If rollers are giving you so much trouble maybe it's your fault and not the weapons?

Sitri

Full Squid
NNID
SitriStahl
If rollers are giving you so much trouble maybe it's your fault and not the weapons?
Could be, or it could be that a one-shot kill weapon with hardly a need to aim, and hardly allows for the victim to fight back might be just a little overpowered.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom