• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Ranked Battle (Splat Zones, Tower Control and Rainmaker) Discussion

Sak

Inkling
NNID
Sakelig
Keep playing then. You can't really judge something accurately if you are basing it off of first impressions.
why the fuq should i play a gamemode that is all about farming specials. How can protecting a little box be more worth than protecting over 50% of the map on turf. How can this be ranked?

Hinichii.ez.™

Is Splatoon an E-Sport or just a meme?
HOLY fuq splat zones is the worse **** and its ranked smh. takes away all skill from turf and makes it a special based mode with the smallest box i have ever seen. If u want to play a game where everyone is camping and waiting for u to kill you or/and take the box only to inkstrike it right back then u will love this ****. The whole problem is that the maps are so small that there are only two ways to actuly get to this zone where you have to ink to win. it can easy be stopped by jut simply ink on their way there and they will have no chance on even getting out. (based on my first game on saltsspray rig)
nice rant top kek
I dunno. I really want someone to test out how effective Opening Gambit is. When I used it, it didn't feel like it was giving me any kind of advantage, especially since I can get to key areas pretty quickly already.
It increases the Run Speed Up and Swim Speed Up parameters for the first 30 seconds of the match... the guide doesn't say how fast. I don't even think it is close to near a staple. Isn't it a main ability to? If so, I suggest never getting it because Running SPD, Swim SPD, Ink Saver, Bomb Range up and a few others would do so much more.

Noe3

Super Fighting Squidbot
I can't wait to try this tonight. I'll be using the kelp charger. I feel like with the sprinkler and killer whale it will be really good at controlling the zone from afar. Has anyone tried this loadout yet for this mode?

DaisyFan

Pro Squid
Splat Zone isn't bad or hard in fact. you just need to make sure to get the best gear/weapon setup.

Sak

Inkling
NNID
Sakelig
nice rant top kek

It increases the Run Speed Up and Swim Speed Up parameters for the first 30 seconds of the match... the guide doesn't say how fast. I don't even think it is close to near a staple. Isn't it a main ability to? If so, I suggest never getting it because Running SPD, Swim SPD, Ink Saver, Bomb Range up and a few others would do so much more.
increase the run speed and swim speed? woot? that would be the stupiest decision to do (not the swim speed tho that one is good). and saying that bomb range up would be good is just like saying that i should throw bombs at that little box to win, then again, do u need any sort of skill to just camp in the ink and throw bombs or whatever over the wall? NO you dont need anything else other than staying as far away as possible and be able to get ink on the box, then again is that skill? do u need skill to farm up you kraken/inkstrike/etc to take over the box? AND DO U NEED MORE SKILL TO COVER A BOX THAN COVERING MORE THAN 50% OF THE MAP? smh

Agosta44

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Agosta
80% of Splat Zones:

I was perpetually stuck in C+ last night because the teams I was put with just kept jumping back to the zone to die. Even when I started winning matches my WiiU started losing internet connection for god knows what reason so I lost all the points I was gaining from the rare wins my team was able to pull off.

Hinichii.ez.™

increase the run speed and swim speed? woot? that would be the stupiest decision to do (not the swim speed tho that one is good). and saying that bomb range up would be good is just like saying that i should throw bombs at that little box to win, then again, do u need any sort of skill to just camp in the ink and throw bombs or whatever over the wall? NO you dont need anything else other than staying as far away as possible and be able to get ink on the box, then again is that skill? do u need skill to farm up you kraken/inkstrike/etc to take over the box? AND DO U NEED MORE SKILL TO COVER A BOX THAN COVERING MORE THAN 50% OF THE MAP? smh
The run spd up ability, increases your run speed by 50%. The swim variant ups it by 25%. That said, run spd up is a solid investment; as is swim spd. Bomb range up + Bomb Rush = gahliek I can no see no argument against that.

Covering one box and maintaining it for 100 seconds takes more team coordination, skill, precision, practice. If you can't see the skill required to win in this mode, I can't help you. I'm not going to hold you hand and walk you through this.

Siggykewts

Inkling
NNID
Siggykewts
I played for about an hour last night, and thankfully won more than lost. I'm right near the C+ rank right now and despite the bit of salt I am enjoying Ranked a fair bit!

Some things I notice:

- Many more weapons are viable. Chargers in particular are nice to have 1 of (more than one is a bit overkill, though...)
- Aerosprays are still a mainstay for controlling the ground, but thankfully now they can be out-dueled with range more easily with the change in emphasis in this mode. I feel the RG loadout may still be a bit strong for my liking in this mode with its sub and special, but I am reserving judgment.
- Inkstrikes are REALLY strong; I have a feeling at some point it's going to get a tad bit tiresome with so many loadouts featuring them being so popular. I really liked the use of Killer Wail here though; it feels so much more at home than on Turf War
- Being intelligently aggressive is VERY rewarding, and it makes me feel so happy. Taking time out of the match to find the perfect spot to engage in is way more important than rushing back to the pit of death.
- In terms of subs, mine, beacon, and seeker are by far the best. Suction and Burst bombs can be handy when trying to invade an area. Sprinkler is great for defending an area (especially a sniper spot; the Kelp Charger has a def. advantage with zone control here). The other subs have their uses, but are more situational.
- In terms of specials, Inkstrike, Bubbler, and Giant Wail are the mainstays. Inkzooka can be played around with proper positioning, Echolocator IMO is less useful than in Turf Wars, and the bomb specials are situational.
- I really like customizing my gear around what I'm doing here as opposed to Turf Wars. There's more thought into what stats to bring with you, and the differences between them are a bit more noticeable, especially with the sets with higher skill caps.

Sak

Inkling
NNID
Sakelig
The run spd up ability, increases your run speed by 50%. The swim variant ups it by 25%. That said, run spd up is a solid investment; as is swim spd. Bomb range up + Bomb Rush = gahliek I can no see no argument against that.

Covering one box and maintaining it for 100 seconds takes more team coordination, skill, precision, practice. If you can't see the skill required to win in this mode, I can't help you. I'm not going to hold you hand and walk you through this.
how can covering a little box require more team cordination, skill, precision and practice when having controll over a bigger field will obvsly make everything harder and therefore require more team cordination, skill, precision and practice.. And running speed is one of the worse abilitys and if u havnt noticed that u should go back and play some more and maybe you will understand that its not good.

Hinichii.ez.™

When you learn to structure your arguments better and don't come off so much as a troll, you might find the answers you're looking for.

Reila

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Splat Zone isn't bad or hard in fact. you just need to make sure to get the best gear/weapon setup.
You also need to have luck on your side and pray that you don't end in a bad team.

Sak

Inkling
NNID
Sakelig
When you learn to structure your arguments better and don't come off so much as a troll, you might find the answers you're looking for.
obvsly u cant defend what u said and start to pick on me well played.

Graff

I'm not funny D:
NNID
griffingraff
Was kinda hoping for Splat Zone-exclusive stages. Won't kill me if it never happens.

swifT

Octarian Legion Founder | Luna is my Daughter
NNID
swiftea
how can covering a little box require more team cordination, skill, precision and practice when having controll over a bigger field will obvsly make everything harder and therefore require more team cordination, skill, precision and practice.. And running speed is one of the worse abilitys and if u havnt noticed that u should go back and play some more and maybe you will understand that its not good.
I feel like you are missing some core things that make Splat Zones a viable gamemodes. While yes I do agree that Turf War as it stands is a more rewarding gamemode. It should not devalue Splat Zones. Splat Zones offers a completely different meta to the game which will be really important to its development. Also you speak of team coordination, skill, precision, and practice, but as it stands BOTH gamemodes lack this because there is not party system. Id also like to point out that Turf War also has a large amount of special farming as a single inkstrike in the final seconds of the game can make or break a teams victory. Not to mention the strength of abilities like the echolocater, and kraken.

When we compare Splat Zones to the gamemode it is most similar too, Headquarters from CoD. I personally feel that Splat Zones could be a fine gamemode. I feel that before you or anyone can truly make a call as to whether this is a good mode or not we need to see how it pans out with a party system in play. Because as it stands both gamemodes lack the same elements due to this missing feature.

OmegaDivider

Squid Sisters Fanboy
NNID
OmegaDivider
Yeah. But I can see why parting with friends isn't a thing in ranked.
I know, but even if they let you play with 1 friend in a duo queue and there could be a separate team matchmaking. Some of the people I've gotten in ranked...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom