• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Ranked Battle (Splat Zones, Tower Control and Rainmaker) Discussion

RespawningJesus

I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar.
Premium
NNID
RespawningJesus
idk if I missed this somewhere, but what is up with the randomily added time? Is there a way I can add time to others? There were times I had 5 seconds left, but 45 extra, where my oponnents only had 30 and no extra, and still won because of our extra time.
Basically, you get a time penalty every time your opponent takes the zone. If they neutralize the zone, and then take it from your team, then you get extra time. However, if they only neutralize the zone, but your team takes it back before they can, then you avoid the penalty.

Ellocus

Senior Squid
NNID
rebellocus
- I felt it was actually easier to carry a team in this mode than in Turf Wars.
-This makes sense given if you were an A+ player playing with all C players you should be able to win no problem.
- However the fact that the whole team gets rewarded/punished equally with points seems opposite to that thought process.
- I'm convinced some people are there by accident and don't realise the game mode.
- Once took out the entire enemy team and neutralised the zone (getting splatted at the same time as the last one), my team (all alive at the time) didn't take the zone...
- Had a 2 point loss with 4 seconds left!

Overall I have enjoyed it (only B- at the moment) and it is a nice change of pace from Turf Wars, I find myself switching frequently. I like how all weapons seem much more viable here too.

swifT

Octarian Legion Founder | Luna is my Daughter
NNID
swiftea
Well I'm happy to say that after a long session of ranked I'm enjoying it quite more now. Outside of the connectivity issues I experience early in the session which utterly infuriated me as it cost me several points. I eventually broke away from C+ into B- and now am halfway to B rank.

After breaking through to B- I immediately noticed a higher quality in play and more enjoyable, and intense games. This only brings me more hope for this gamemode as the meta for it continues to develop. I also very much enjo the Blackbelly Skatepark map for this game mode.

Wintry

Inkling
So.. I started giving Chargers a shot on Splat Zones...

Gotta say, they work quite well. I just went with the basic Charger and most of my time was spent on the Harbor map, but I find it pretty good. Had some close games, though still too many KO's for my liking. Hopefully it gets tougher beyond Rank C.

Chargers work well as a way for your team to get back into the game. Harbor is perfect for it, because there's that while section on the top that can only be accessed through the splat zone. So running and retreating until they spawn is viable. Lots of people also try to camp the two vantage points to the sides, which are easy kills with a bomb or just a quick shot.

Also the Bomb Rush ability works wonders at defending the choke point at the entrance of the zone, as they can't get past it. Literally, the game is about buying as much time as you can, and this is where I think super abilities come in most important. Inkstrike is great for obvious reasons, I like Bomb Rush, and Killer Wail could be serviceable.

Enjoying this mode as something different, but I hope the modes change every week or so.

DaisyFan

Pro Squid
Well I'm happy to say that after a long session of ranked I'm enjoying it quite more now. Outside of the connectivity issues I experience early in the session which utterly infuriated me as it cost me several points. I eventually broke away from C+ into B- and now am halfway to B rank.

After breaking through to B- I immediately noticed a higher quality in play and more enjoyable, and intense games. This only brings me more hope for this gamemode as the meta for it continues to develop. I also very much enjo the Blackbelly Skatepark map for this game mode.
Good to hear you enjoyed so far.

Howl

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
SilverHowl
In rank, you can have people two ranks over yours. Based off of what I've seen.
I've been in a room that was literally this: A+, B x2, C- x5. Me being one of the B.

The A+ guy wasn't even good (he was in the opposing team for 4 matches in a row. And while he did have a good KDR, he did not influence the outcome of the match enough, as we won 3/4 matches iirc). So it was odd.

CyberHyperPhoenix

Senior Squid
I've been in a room that was literally this: A+, B x2, C- x5. Me being one of the B.

The A+ guy wasn't even good (he was in the opposing team for 4 matches in a row. And while he did have a good KDR, he did not influence the outcome of the match enough, as we won 3/4 matches iirc). So it was odd.
That's the problem with getting randomly matched up with other people.

Half the time you get matched up with incompetent players :glare:

CyberHyperPhoenix

Senior Squid
Also, I ****ing hate the way ranking is worked in Ranked mode.

Like, I get to C from C- and I get 4 ****ing disconnects in a row and I'm back at C- again.

All that work for nothing :mad:

obscurica

Full Squid
NNID
obscurica
I take back everything ambivalent or negative I've said about Splat Zone. Port Mackerel and Blackbelly, currently on rotation, proved its worth. Both are split-objectives map, where you need to split focus along TWO zones of contest instead of one, and it's done an incredible job of making ranked interesting. The flows and shifts in team and priority dynamics have been astounding, and the emergent teamwork has been absolutely beautiful.

Port Mackerel especially, where the zone objectives are far apart from each other. You NEED to take the farther zone to get ahead, but the more people you put on the offense, the greater you risk somebody backdooring your loosely guarded "near" zone. That tension makes for a beautiful game, even when you're losing. I have had a LOT of games today that went to the OT timer, and far fewer knockouts. Even one game where it was a ONE-SECOND split--the most exasperating loss, but making ranked all the more exciting for it.

I want to see more maps made this way, and existing maps rebalanced along that direction. Saltspray Rig, especially, which is a lousy one-chokepoint experience on Ranked. Putting a zone on each of the platform forces both teams to utilize the entire map, making for much more dynamic play.

ludvig4

Inkling
NNID
ludvig4
After playing some matches, I can say that it is alot more tactical than turf wars. Sub-weapons also seem more viable in splat zones.

pixelatedcody

[S+99] Octoshot {AKA Pixel]
NNID
cncody
Ranked is good so far, I just wish you could communicate tactics better...like marking icons on the gamepad map that pop up on screen to let your team know to group up, coordinate, hold positions etc

I find myself flanking the enemy team when I get a chance, the more of them I kill the less people to contest the splat zone.

SkyBlue

Inkling Commander
I take back everything ambivalent or negative I've said about Splat Zone. Port Mackerel and Blackbelly, currently on rotation, proved its worth. Both are split-objectives map, where you need to split focus along TWO zones of contest instead of one, and it's done an incredible job of making ranked interesting. The flows and shifts in team and priority dynamics have been astounding, and the emergent teamwork has been absolutely beautiful.

Port Mackerel especially, where the zone objectives are far apart from each other. You NEED to take the farther zone to get ahead, but the more people you put on the offense, the greater you risk somebody backdooring your loosely guarded "near" zone. That tension makes for a beautiful game, even when you're losing. I have had a LOT of games today that went to the OT timer, and far fewer knockouts. Even one game where it was a ONE-SECOND split--the most exasperating loss, but making ranked all the more exciting for it.

I want to see more maps made this way, and existing maps rebalanced along that direction. Saltspray Rig, especially, which is a lousy one-chokepoint experience on Ranked. Putting a zone on each of the platform forces both teams to utilize the entire map, making for much more dynamic play.
I feel the same! started it when it came out and hated it. all the times we couldn't take the zone once and got dominated. Got on for blackbelly and port mackerel and omg are they fun! Finally found the weapon I love using(well at least for splat zones) the most. I hope we have an equal number of dual zone maps as the one zone maps. Even managed to break my record 15 kills(highest in turf war) and got 20(in splat zones) today. Which was oddly satisfying, I usually focus on the turf in turf war, but I'm learning how to be a wall in splat zones ^w^

Reila

Inkling Fleet Admiral
APPARENTLY JAPANESE ARE THE GODS OF ROLLERS. WATCH AS THEY SWIM IN YOUR INK, TAKE 30 SHOTS TO THE FACE, AND KILL YOU.

I don't know why I play during the night.
Laggy Japanese rollers officially the best teammates you can have in the game. XD
Can I just say I hate Arowana Mall in this game mode? lol XD :p
As a charger/dual squelcher player, it is my favorite stage in ranked so far. lol The one I hate is Saltspray Rig >_>

obscurica

Full Squid
NNID
obscurica
There's nothing good to be said about Saltspray - Splat Zone, period. Way too hyperfocused, and they made the lower part of the map entirely useless. At least you can park Squid Beakons in the upper platform.

IsmaR

was tentacles all along
Super Moderator
I absolutely love Port Mackerel for having 2 Splat Zones. The mode itself requires you to control both in order to score any points.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom