• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Ranked Battle (Splat Zones, Tower Control and Rainmaker) Discussion

Sak

Inkling
NNID
Sakelig
I feel like you are missing some core things that make Splat Zones a viable gamemodes. While yes I do agree that Turf War as it stands is a more rewarding gamemode. It should not devalue Splat Zones. Splat Zones offers a completely different meta to the game which will be really important to its development. Also you speak of team coordination, skill, precision, and practice, but as it stands BOTH gamemodes lack this because there is not party system. Id also like to point out that Turf War also has a large amount of special farming as a single inkstrike in the final seconds of the game can make or break a teams victory. Not to mention the strength of abilities like the echolocater, and kraken.

When we compare Splat Zones to the gamemode it is most similar too, Headquarters from CoD. I personally feel that Splat Zones could be a fine gamemode. I feel that before you or anyone can truly make a call as to whether this is a good mode or not we need to see how it pans out with a party system in play. Because as it stands both gamemodes lack the same elements due to this missing feature.
finally someone that isnt retarded. YES BOTH gamemodes lack team cordination etc cuz of no party system. But then again as said 3-6 times already, how can a little box require more skill to protect than more than 50% of the map, since the area to protect is soooo small it will make protecting it super easy since there are only a few ways to get there since all the maps are small. So if you are not retarded it will be easy to set up a strat to get there fast and lock the area cuz of the few ways to actuly get there.

while in turf u have to protect almost the whole map and there will therefore be more ways to break in and harder to protect your ink. And a singel inkstrike does not matter if u actuly have enough controll over the map.

and im only saying it shouldnt be a ranked game mode, thats all.

dontcaresomuch

Inkling
NNID
EvanLaybourn91
.52/.96 gal. Pretty solid in this mode it seems so far, a lot of people I find are using them!

toadster101

Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-0022-0027-5937
Splat Zones is unplayable without voice chat, since your teammates are incapable of reacting to basic visual cues. I've actually tried using the preset messages and they never work. It seems like half of these people don't even know what the objective of Splat Zones is. Some guy on my team spent the entire match painting the map instead of trying to claim territory. Until there's a proper lobby system in place, I'm not even going to bother. I'm sick of being paired up with randoms who don't know what they're doing. I guess this is what happens when your fanbase is primarily made up of children who have never played other online shooters.

I've carried matches in Turf War. In Splat Zones, this is not possible. Not to mention that you still lose points even if you get 15+ kills. Urgh.

swifT

Octarian Legion Founder | Luna is my Daughter
NNID
swiftea
finally someone that isnt retarded. YES BOTH gamemodes lack team cordination etc cuz of no party system. But then again as said 3-6 times already, how can a little box require more skill to protect than more than 50% of the map, since the area to protect is soooo small it will make protecting it super easy since there are only a few ways to get there since all the maps are small. So if you are not retarded it will be easy to set up a strat to get there fast and lock the area cuz of the few ways to actuly get there.

while in turf u have to protect almost the whole map and there will therefore be more ways to break in and harder to protect your ink. And a singel inkstrike does not matter if u actuly have enough controll over the map.

and im only saying it shouldnt be a ranked game mode, thats all.
I feel that theres no problem with it being a ranked mode. Just that the Ranked playlist as well as the Regular playlist should have both as playable options. I dont believe that this game mode will take any less skill than Turf War. As it stands as far as I'm concerned with no party system both game modes are lacking that.

As far as breaking and protecting gos. I find that while there is less to keep watch over it is a much more intense experience than Turf War. Breaking the enemy lines and taking control of chokepoints is even more highlighted as you dont want your opponent making their way back down to the zone to break it, or worse, take control. The Splat Zones meta, as well as the Turf War meta have yet to fully develop, but we can already see a lot of differences in terms of what weapons and specials are favored.

I do understand your feelings towards having Splat Zones as the soul ranked gamemode but I can see why it would have been chosen over Turf War by the developers, at least for now. We can only hope that they implement party mode sooner rather than later. And also put both gamemodes as options for both playlists.

Reila

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Splat Zones is unplayable without voice chat, since your teammates are incapable of reacting to basic visual cues. I've actually tried using the preset messages and they never work. It seems like half of these people don't even know what the objective of Splat Zones is. Some guy on my team spent the entire match painting the map instead of trying to claim territory. Until there's a proper lobby system in place, I'm not even going to bother. I'm sick of being paired up with randoms who don't know what they're doing. I guess this is what happens when your fanbase is primarily made up of children who have never played other online shooters.

I've carried matches in Turf War. In Splat Zones, this is not possible. Not to mention that you still lose points even if you get 15+ kills. Urgh.
Wow, the entitlement is real in this post.
I know, but even if they let you play with 1 friend in a duo queue and there could be a separate team matchmaking. Some of the people I've gotten in ranked...
Well, not saying it is great the way it is now, but I wonder if there are enough players to have a separate matchmaking. I have to wonder if Splatoon have a player base big enough for two different modes (with two more coming) with the ranked modes having separate matchmaking.

iTwAsLucK

Semi-Pro Squid
I love the concept of splatzones, however my main concerns have to do with the fairness of the mode. Or at least perceived fairness, as it's only been one day.

0 points / gold for the losing team is simply brutal. Losing is already painful enough, but then to see a big 0... rough!

Another point (which has already been said a few times) is how it feels like the team with the best initial setup will simply dominate from the get-go. Jumping in to a teammate only to be splatted upon landing is the epitome of anti-fun.

I wish splatzones played out more like other games "king of the hill" varients. Ie: moving hills / zones. On saltspray for example, after 50 points have gone by the zone should switch to the lower section. Then after another 50, to the far upper region.
This would prevent such a firm grip on the zone from just plain dominating for the entire match with very little ways of counter-play.

Hinichii.ez.™

Is Splatoon an E-Sport or just a meme?
Well, not saying it is great the way it is now, but I wonder if there are enough players to have a separate matchmaking. I have to wonder if Splatoon have a player base big enough for two different modes (with two more coming) with the ranked modes having separate matchmaking.
I mean, we got rank in two days? We got some sorta size. Push that content, keep that interest flowing strong!

Sak

Inkling
NNID
Sakelig
I feel that theres no problem with it being a ranked mode. Just that the Ranked playlist as well as the Regular playlist should have both as playable options. I dont believe that this game mode will take any less skill than Turf War. As it stands as far as I'm concerned with no party system both game modes are lacking that.

As far as breaking and protecting gos. I find that while there is less to keep watch over it is a much more intense experience than Turf War. Breaking the enemy lines and taking control of chokepoints is even more highlighted as you dont want your opponent making their way back down to the zone to break it, or worse, take control. The Splat Zones meta, as well as the Turf War meta have yet to fully develop, but we can already see a lot of differences in terms of what weapons and specials are favored.

I do understand your feelings towards having Splat Zones as the soul ranked gamemode but I can see why it would have been chosen over Turf War by the developers, at least for now. We can only hope that they implement party mode sooner rather than later. And also put both gamemodes as options for both playlists.
i will correct myself, im against it being the only game mode in ranked. ppl will understand sooner or later when ppl know what they are doing how easy/bad splat zone is.

toadster101

Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-0022-0027-5937
Wow, the entitlement is real in this post.
Lol, "entitlement".

I know that you have some vendetta against voice chat for some reason, but that doesn't change the fact that it's impossible to communicate with your teammates in a gameplay mode that relies on communication. It's not like I can Skype with randoms, and it's not like my friends can join me. So this means that, in order to improve my ranking, I have to pair up with a bunch of little kids who run around like chickens with their heads cut off. Great. Climbing up the ladder is essentially luck based, and after having played Mario Kart online for nearly a decade, I'm sick of dealing with RNG. This might not matter to you, but it matters to me.

Fightersword

Good TOs are Capitalists
Super Moderator
NNID
Fightersword
I feel like the attacking team should get a bit of an advantage in one way or other. It would make the game more dynamic than I feel it has shown itself to be especially on the rig. In TF2 for example, the side that controls the point in a koth match takes a double respawn time compared to the one that is trying to take it, which helps equal out the straight advantage that the currently defending team usually has, and unless the teams are completely unequal usually means the point switches back and forth pretty often, meaning both sides have to work hard on both offense and defense to eek out an advantage, with the rollout still being extremely important. I wish Splatoon did something like that. Otherwise the game usually devolves into whoever takes the point and advances on the chokes first gets such a huge advantage and usually wins outright, making skills that help you win the rollout like Swim Speed and opening gambit extremely powerful (though swim speed was already brutally powerful). Turf war actually impressed me by how interesting it could be: there were still important areas to defend, but you couldn't just watch the chokes on one area and win, you had to keep them from getting the rest of the map and still advance on their parts of the map that you usually had to balance out attacking and defending if you wanted to do well.

now obviously we don't have dedicated matchmaking so we cannot fully judge both of these modes, but it's how both of them have rubbed off on me so far. I feel like Splat Zones has the potential to be really good, but I feel there were some overlooks and that the people behind it may not have been perfectly aware of how hard it is to attack through chokes against someone set up with defense. I think the tower will be a lot more dynamic personally, since the area you need to control is constantly moving and there will be many good times to advance on it, rather than always having to advance through chokes with a huge disadvantage and nothing to really help equal out that balance.

Kaliafornia

Splatin' through Inkopolis with my woes....
NNID
Kaliafornia
I found that each of the Gal weapons offers a little something to Splat Zones. .52 Gal gives you both the Wall and the Killer Wail, the Deco gives you the Ink Strike, and the .96 Gal gives you a sprinkler and range.

The way I see it, the more effective your weapon is in combat, the better it is going to be on Splat Zones.
Agreed. If your weapon can't win in a 1 on 1 (totally depends on skill with weapon too) it's useless. I stick with the .52 cal and the deco. Salt spray rig I love using a krak-ON. Laying down well placed becons on that level is key. If your team has control, and you lay them down in the back of the very top area, you will never not have anyone in the area.

JuddTheCat

Inkling Cadet
Ink Strike seems to take the entire zone and make it your zone instantly, game changer in overtime.
One thing I don't like about this mode is that you lose -10 when you lose, I'm find with that...But when I was 1st in my team and seemed to have done a lot, I shouldn't lose points. You have to rely on 3 people you don't know, 50% chance of them not knowing what to do sometimes, making the entire team lose.

swifT

Octarian Legion Founder | Luna is my Daughter
NNID
swiftea
i will correct myself, im against it being the only game mode in ranked. ppl will understand sooner or later when ppl know what they are doing how easy/bad splat zone is.
Fair enough I can also agree with this whole heartedly.

Lol, "entitlement".

I know that you have some vendetta against voice chat for some reason, but that doesn't change the fact that it's impossible to communicate with your teammates in a gameplay mode that relies on communication. It's not like I can Skype with randoms, and it's not like my friends can join me. So this means that, in order to improve my ranking, I have to pair up with a bunch of little kids who run around like chickens with their heads cut off. Great. Climbing up the ladder is essentially luck based, and after having played Mario Kart online for nearly a decade, I'm sick of dealing with RNG. This might not matter to you, but it matters to me.
I cant help but read through your comments on voice chat, and a feel as if I should interject for a moment.

I mean no disrespect and agree with most of what you say. In a game such as this it should have voice chat to achieve optimal team play, but the main issue I had and reason I feel they avoided voice chat is because of how they marketed the game to begin with. The game was marketed as a game for Everyone(E10+) which it very well should. But when taking a look at the other shooters on the market like CoD or battlefield that are marketed with maturity in mind it makes sense as to why Splatoon would lack such an element IN MY OPINION. Sure Nintendo could easily slap a "Online Interactions Are Not Rated" on their box but would that really have been their best decision? I doubt that. This game has been marketed mainly towards young children from the get go because they know children are going to playing it as well. In games like CoD and Battlefield where people are running around online being idiots and acting a fool thats the fault of whoever bought their child the game that they experience such things or cause them themselves.

Now I'm not excusing Splatoon for lacking voicechat or saying that everyone online is a bunch of cursing screaming idiots, but when we look at the whole of things this was the decision Nintendo made because of the rating they put on the box.

I dont' really wanna drown out this topic with this debate since its not necessarily directly related to Splat Zones, but I'd gladly continue the discussion in the appropriate topic.

Reila

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Played a bit more today and lost like 5 matches in a row and then won around 5 in a row. lol. I can see the appeal of the mode, but damn do I need to git gud. 4 of the 5 matches were in Arowana Mall, there is this place in the left side where you can camp and ink the zone and kill opponents frequently, there was only one match where the opponent team was smart enough to ruin my strategy :'(

The dual squelcher proved to be great for me and I can see the blaster having a place in splat zones as well.

Dragoniss

Inkling
NNID
Antagonistgreen
I've only played it a little bit and it's alright though it really drives home the problem of not having party mode which really sounds like i'm beating a dead horse at this point. I really don't care about team speak in game, there are other things I could use that would probably be MUCH better than using than gamepad's mic [skype teamspeak ext] but just being able to join with a group of your friends or your squad is almost needed for this mode to really shine. Maybe it was just me getting unlucky but I had a lot of team members that played as if this was still turf wars which was simply frustrating. I can see it definitely being a fun mode if we get the ability to join friends in ranked mode but as of right now the mode's impossible for me to truly have fun with. Which is a shame because I really like the idea of this mode. King of the hill is always a fun game style and if you get lucky and manage to get paired with a competent team I can see the mode being a blast. I just wish it had a little more to make it perfect. I'm probably going to stick to turf wars.

Jiggly

Senior Squid
NNID
Jiggly101
idk if I missed this somewhere, but what is up with the randomily added time? Is there a way I can add time to others? There were times I had 5 seconds left, but 45 extra, where my oponnents only had 30 and no extra, and still won because of our extra time.

Hinichii.ez.™

Is Splatoon an E-Sport or just a meme?
In rank, you can have people two ranks over yours. Based off of what I've seen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom