• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Ranked Battle (Splat Zones, Tower Control and Rainmaker) Discussion

Hinichii.ez.™

Is Splatoon an E-Sport or just a meme?
I've been in a room that was literally this: A+, B x2, C- x5. Me being one of the B.

The A+ guy wasn't even good (he was in the opposing team for 4 matches in a row. And while he did have a good KDR, he did not influence the outcome of the match enough, as we won 3/4 matches iirc). So it was odd.
oh...oh lord
Man, things are going to get ugly, if Nintendo doesn't do something about that one.

Noe3

Super Fighting Squidbot
Does anyone know how the amount of points you gain per win changes with rank? I know at C- it's 20, and C it's 15, does it keep on decreasing all the way up to A+?

Howl

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
SilverHowl
Does anyone know how the amount of points you gain per win changes with rank? I know at C- it's 20, and C it's 15, does it keep on decreasing all the way up to A+?
After B- I think it starts changing. I'm B and sometimes I gain 12, 10 or 8.

Reila

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Yeah, I am not playing ranked ever again at this time of the day. Too many Japanese players killing me after I kill them because of the lag.

Hinichii.ez.™

Yeah, I am not playing ranked ever again at this time of the day. Too many Japanese players killing me after I kill them because of the lag.
Welcome to my life. Even after I kill'em, I still gotta dodge invisible lag bullets.

JuddTheCat

Inkling Cadet
I had a match where we were capturing the zone first, it went all the way to 1, and then someone ink striked the zone make us have 72+ added to our...Zone count score? I think everyone on my team gave up as opposing team went from 100 to 0.
It's so annoying losing when you have so little to go and then more points get added. I don't see why they added ranks if there's less skill involved than Turf Wars.

iTwAsLucK

Semi-Pro Squid
I don't see why they added ranks if there's less skill involved than Turf Wars.
I don't think there's less skill involved, just a different type of skill.
I've played a lot of CS1.6, and some of the best pub-server fraggers are plain awful in scrims because the entire objective has changed. That doesn't mean that they are bad, or that the scrim environment is bad, they are simply different.

Though I would like to see ranked turfwars eventually!

JuddTheCat

Inkling Cadet
I don't think there's less skill involved, just a different type of skill.
I've played a lot of CS1.6, and some of the best pub-server fraggers are plain awful in scrims because the entire objective has changed. That doesn't mean that they are bad, or that the scrim environment is bad, they are simply different.

Though I would like to see ranked turfwars eventually!
It just seems like everyone rushes to the zone, spray ink, get killed and repeat. No one is ever doing it differently, sometimes people use the same tactic over and over again, even though they keep dying. Of course, this mode did just come out and maybe people will realize that they should use different strategies.

iTwAsLucK

Semi-Pro Squid
It just seems like everyone rushes to the zone, spray ink, get killed and repeat. No one is ever doing it differently, sometimes people use the same tactic over and over again, even though they keep dying. Of course, this mode did just come out and maybe people will realize that they should use different strategies.
I can definitely appreciate that sentiment.

I think the best thing to do right now is to either grind it out and try to shelf the frustration, or to wait a few days. Once the ranks have separated a bit, and not everyone is a C-, it should be easier to climb the ranks as long as you deserve to climb the ranks.

AstralSpirit

Full Squid
NNID
AstralSpirit26
Wow I'm really upset I missed when Port Mackerel was in rotation. I enjoy Blackbelly the most due to the two zones, so I'm sure I'd like Port Mackerel too.

Mrwhatzitooya

Pro Squid
I reckon this mode'll be a lot of fun when people get he hang of it. Problem is, right now so many players don't seem to know what they're doing (i watched TWO people walk off the edge in Arowana Mall into the water, like some sort of suicidical conga!).

Teams are either comprised of 4 lvl 20 pros or an almost all noob team that doesn't know what it's doing. I'm looking forward to the update in August so i can get to be part of a proper squad team for it, but until then i think i'll stick with turf war...

Hinichii.ez.™

Teams are either comprised of 4 lvl 20 pros or an almost all noob team that doesn't know what it's doing. I'm looking forward to the update in August so i can get to be part of a proper squad team for it, but until then i think i'll stick with turf war...
It gets more balanced out, once you reach C+

h.JC

Inkster Jr.
So, I've seen a lot of people talking about Inkstrike and Walls being pretty good, but do you think the Splattershot Jr. holds up? Since everyone is so close, the shield should be excellent for a push to retake the zone.

edit: also, hey redfeatherraven, i recognize you form the brawl pika discussion on smashboards. i'm vale, if you remember me

RespawningJesus

I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar.
Premium
NNID
RespawningJesus
So, I've seen a lot of people talking about Inkstrike and Walls being pretty good, but do you think the Splattershot Jr. holds up? Since everyone is so close, the shield should be excellent for a push to retake the zone.

edit: also, hey redfeatherraven, i recognize you form the brawl pika discussion on smashboards. i'm vale, if you remember me
Bubble is most definitely useful, but only if used correctly. I can usually stall a Bubble with a well placed Wall, so you gotta keep those things in mind when using the Bubble. Most Bubbles I have seen used weren't used right. and they were wasted, since they didn't really secure any kills or saved their teammates.

h.JC

Inkster Jr.
The goal is definitely to bubble up multiple people. Even if the activator gets pushed back, a second player is either given the chance to escape or even deal with their agressor.

Hinichii.ez.™

I primary use the JR in rank. I haven't been on rank for too long, but I have -B atm and the JR does work on every stage. Bubbler is gahliek for every situation.

karamazovapy

Inkster Jr.
Both are split-objectives map, where you need to split focus along TWO zones of contest instead of one, and it's done an ink-credible job of making ranked interesting.
Fixed it for you.

At C+ I know wins are +12 and losses are -10. I haven't gotten any higher up the food chain yet.

Forte

Inkster Jr.
Is there anything gained out of getting the highest rank other than a letter? Also is A the max you can get?

Platypudding

Full Squid
Is there anything gained out of getting the highest rank other than a letter? Also is A the max you can get?
I believe your rewards get bigger the higher your rank is.

so, for the first 45 minutes or so of ranked, everything was terrible and confusing and chaotic. I couldn't get a grip on how to deal with all of the specials and grenades flying at me constantly, and it was pretty clear that everybody was struggling with similar stuff. I don't know exactly what happened, but after a while, the mode clicked for me and it seemed like others were getting a grip too. After that, it became a lot of fun. It's still chaotic, but you can follow it.

You have to do a complete 180 shift in mindset before this game mode makes any sense.

Hinichii.ez.™

The biggest bonus right now...More $$$ so you can re-roll and add slots faster than the other kids.
It would be really cool if nintendo made an event, to see if people could reach that max rank, before x day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom