• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Ranked Battle (Splat Zones, Tower Control and Rainmaker) Discussion

CyberHyperPhoenix

Senior Squid
There should be some way to detect if you lagged out of a game.

Especially since I got disconnected from crappy connections 4 times in a row and got down to C- as a result >:(

Mayday

Row, Row, Fight the Power!
NNID
MaydayBelieves
Learned that I should sandbag in matches that we are winning so I don't get stuck with the worst teammates next round. Had a long string of matches in a row where I placed first on the team/in a match only to be placed with the worst 3 players from the last match in the next game

Also, I'm so tired of Inkstrikes. Played a team that had all Inkstrikes. They would bomb the zone temporarily giving us extra time every few seconds

missingno

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
he/him
NNID
missingno
Switch Friend Code
SW-6539-1393-3018
Am I the only one who can't stand two zones in Blackbelly? Almost every match I had was a painfully drawn out stalemate where nobody could hold both zones for more than a few seconds at a time. And with the way the timer keeps adding/resetting penalties for that, you never get anywhere. Haven't gotten to play Port Mackerel, but it sounds like the same problem will still persist there.

IMO it would be a lot better if they made it so controlling one zone and having the other as neutral still counted. It still keeps the dual objective as you still have to prevent them from fully claiming the other zone, but makes it so that there's not as much time spent in neutral and teams can actually put some dent in their timers.

Life

Senior Squid
I actually just came here to ask how people win on Blackbelly in this mode. I went 17-3 and we got the timer down to 2 and then lost control and almost let them come back--and that's been my only win on this map since the rotation started. I've found I'm good at consistently getting the zone at the beginning, but once the match is underway I get lost.

Mayday

Row, Row, Fight the Power!
NNID
MaydayBelieves
I'm also somewhat lost when it comes to Blackbelly. The only real strategy that seems to work is holding the middle tower or funneling them through choke points from their spawn. The map definitely causes stalemates, especially with no real communication within the team. Really not a fan of it in Splat Zone.

Starbound

Inkling
I love Blackbelly and Mackerel for the double zones. The intensity there is so high and it's so much fun.

Least favorite Splat Zone stages are Walleye and Urchin due to the small size. It's so easy to overwhelm the opposing team because they have so few ways of accessing the zone.

Seriously wish this was compatible with friends because I love the fast-paced nature of Splat Zones.

Mrwhatzitooya

Pro Squid
It gets more balanced out, once you reach C+
Well... Not really. I got to C+ rank, and all the other members of the team seemed more than a little lost. It was in the C+ that i witnessed my Team's "Arowana Mall Suicide Conga", and we just kept losing. The other team was lvl 20 Japanese players who seemed like pros in comparison -.-

obscurica

Full Squid
NNID
obscurica
I'm finding a mix of people that don't like it when the Splat Zone maps go into stalemate. But shouldn't we consider it a design flaw if a map's too easily held? It'd imply the map inherently favors defensive play--that once a team's held onto the contested zone, the game's already stacked against the other team. It might be my bias, but the marginal wins on Splat Zone stalemates seem more accurate as an expression of the teams' comparative average skill level, whereas a knockout feels more like we're fighting the map design.

CyberHyperPhoenix

Senior Squid
I'm finding a mix of people that don't like it when the Splat Zone maps go into stalemate. But shouldn't we consider it a design flaw if a map's too easily held? It'd imply the map inherently favors defensive play--that once a team's held onto the contested zone, the game's already stacked against the other team. It might be my bias, but the marginal wins on Splat Zone stalemates seem more accurate as an expression of the teams' comparative average skill level, whereas a knockout feels more like we're fighting the map design.
About the knock out point, its either that or the people you getting (randomly) match up with are too incompetent to actually do anything.

Like the suicide conga that @Mrwhatzitooya mentioned.

SquiddiamFancyson

Inkling Cadet
NNID
DowntownMountain
Definitely loving the increased focus on killing splat zone provides. There desperately needs to be an update that replaces disconnecters with a bot though because at the moment it's hellish if you're down an inkling.

TheMH

Inkling Commander
NNID
The_MH
Going from C- to C+ was the easy task, but then the struggle started for me. I played about 3 hours yesterday, just to end up with the exact same score (C+, something 40-ish) I started with. Fours disconnects included. It baffles me how people get up to A+ in one session...

I also seem to suck on two-zone maps. I managed to get only one single win on Skatepark, because the first territory was always taken by the enemy just when I left it to get the other one. Sometimes this scenario even continued for three or four cycles :D On one-zone maps on the other hand I feel it's easier to get a win for my team, because once we get to control it first and knock out 2 or 3 enemies, the timer often runs down to 0 in one single go. Warehouse is expecially notorious for that.

Hinichii.ez.™

Is Splatoon an E-Sport or just a meme?
Saltspray Rig is definetely the worst Splat Zones map hands down.
Port looks even worse. I didn't even attempt when it came into rotation. Learned the roller instead, so I can body that rotation next time.

obscurica

Full Squid
NNID
obscurica
Port looks even worse. I didn't even attempt when it came into rotation. Learned the roller instead, so I can body that rotation next time.
If your only experience with Port Mackerel was with Turf War, I heavily recommend trying the Splat Zone version when it's on rotation. Significantly different dynamics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom