• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

RP Ideas? Post Them Here!

Rustic

Inkling Commander
I completely scrapped the idea at this point in favour of something else. Was becoming a fanfiction, and not the type I'm good at.

Octo Lab --- Polished Edition
Summary
Abducted from Inkopolis or Octo Valley, you wake in either a burnished lab or a verdant lab. Shortly afterwards a voice rings out in the labyrinthine corridors. The voice introduces himself as Shen, a mad scientist who selected a small group of people for a experiment, an experiment he doesn't even remember why he created it, but he continues it for his entertainment. You need to escape but also put an end to this mad theater.

Description
Octo Lab is -again- a darker, gritty roleplay. There are multitude of dangers specific to the two labs. Lab Block Crimson-Squid is the burnished, orderly lab controlled by Shen's aptly named Legion-bots, which travel in groups wandering the lab, thankfully they take a while to power up (Won't be active until the first month long cycle ends.) But that isn't a reason to be relaxed just yet, you need to get your bearings and progress forward. Lab Block Emerald-Octo is the verdant, overgrown lab not controlled by a single entity but has tons of environmental hazards that will hamper your progress, there will still be Legion-bots roaming the corridors but they'll be much fewer in number and will travel in Pairs. Same rules from before apply to them.

The first cycle is story oriented, however after the end of the cycle, the two labs release their respective story arcs and gameplay, Crimson-Squid is the more combative of the two, but will still have a story and vice versa. The month cycle is divided into week long cycles to both progress the gameplay and to develop a storyline.
How 2 pleh
The roleplay will begin when the GM gathers a sufficient amount of players for each lab or a single lab if little sign up. Max would be 10 players if it fills up, 4 is the minimum and 8 is both labs active
Classes are tricky, they would have an adjective to describe your character from personality and background info.
Ex: Terence is a Firm Soldier
Roles for the characters are
Soldiers have more detailed explanations in combat, but see little exploratory options
Seers have the ability to see through hallucinations, thus revealing the enemy if they're hidden but have less then normal combat options
Traveler is an all-round, average class no perks, no detriments either.
Warriors can have two Active weapons, but suffer a smaller inventory by 2
Explorers can notice more exploratory (Possible Story?) options then other roles but suffer a reduced inventory by 2.
If you can make ideas for better names, please say so.
That brings me to the combat sections and Inventory management
The inventory should be displayed in a little spoiler on the bottom of each post, not to mention the GM (Probably me) will keep a note on what's in everyone's inventories, just to insure no one cheats and pull a dynamo roller out of a golden purse and club their opponent with it. The other part is your active weapon which should be displayed on the top. Here's an example on what a inventory looks like
Active weapon: Metal Bar
Inventory slot 1: Small Ink tank
Inventory slot 2-3: Octo Pistol
Inventory slot 4: Sticky Notes and pencil
Inventory slot 5: Empty
Inventory slot 6: Empty
There are 3 tiers of weapons
Heavy weapons are stuff like: Chargers, blasters and rollers
Medium weapons are things like: Shooters, pistols and Ink-blades
Light weapons are stuff and things like: Metal bars, Ink-knives, damaged variants of medium weapons and S.I.Gs (Sub Inkage Gun)
Light weapons take no slots medium take 2 and heavies take 3 however they all take no slots if wielded as their active weapon

Combat, I will probably need to improve on, basically it starts off with 5 actions, 2 of which are specific to class and personality I'll give an example
Charge 'em and smash 'em over the 'ead with the metal bar (A soldier themed option)
Find a place to take cover and fight, switching to your high power Octo-Pistol (Based on Terence's firm attitude when it comes to fighting in certain locations)
Slam with your metal bar (Standard option)
Ink pants and panic, flailing your arms around wildly (Basically waste your turn)
Flee, the enemy is too much for you! (End turn and disengage from the fight, dropping the active weapon to run away)
The player or players if you're in a group all need to do their turn to end the fight or progress it if the enemy is much more stronger then the player characters.
I'm not sure so the combat section is subject to change. Permadeath is a present threat, but is only an extreme threat if your playing alone or are separated, players in groups can win the fight, thus reviving any fallen players. But if the entire player group loses the fight, by either running, abandoning teammates to their fates or all getting defeated by the enemy. Although it should be a rare case, like extremely rare that an entire team loses. Your done game over man, game over.
The GMs make a thing you respond to once, not twice, nor thrice but once once everyone responds the next part will happen, unless not everyone responds then at the end of the week it'll continue, the player gets a warning to respond, up to 3 then your out with a simple explanation you got splatted by a hydro cannon bam. The GM will try and get your attention with an @ symbol.
So what do you all think?

Last edited:

ReedRGale

Inkling Commander
@Rustic Not much time to comment tonight, but you've fleshed out a lot.

I will say that some of the mechanics are interesting in that they try to combine RP options and stat rolls which is always determinate on the GM. Anyway, this could get complex fast and I need to sit down and read this over again some time to see if I can really pick this apart.

@Myself, write on your schedule book to update this thread.

Rustic

Inkling Commander
@ReedRGale I really hope you do pick it apart, I'm pretty sure I have a couple things to fix before it's fully functional

One of the things I probably need to explain is Player Interaction, because its tricky with this thing, as I said before the game must have 4 players at the minimum to begin, tried a solo beta run with my little sister she said it was too difficult alone shhe got Terence shot by a hydro cannon. Then I tried a duo run with my big and little sister they actually made it to the end of the RP which was a nice surprise. It worked between two people but four and maybe 5? With an inventory and possible trading, it is incredibly complex and I need to approach it carefully. Trading would need to not be there, reason being inventory is complex and ensuring no one cheats and hands items all over the place which would break the flow of the game and in my thoughts reduce you to a board game mindset, that would remove any sentimental feelings on a item. Because you flee losing your gun in the process, but another person has the same item or an upgrade you could just ask and bam instant upgrade or replacement, losing any sense of caution.

Player Interaction can probably be done with an action like [Talk with:other player] it would be a more casual interaction that would need to be limited to one response from a single player, then it'll probably go back and forth, until they stop talking or until the GM gets them to move on.

Terence looked around the dim room, seeing a woman who looked... slightly off ...on the ground groaning, he approaches the Inkling keeping his Octo-Pistol at the ready. He kneels down, drawing his Pistol just in case.
"Hello, are you actually there, I'm not hallucinating am I?"
(Talk with: 'Inkling' Woman)

"Hello, are you actually there, I'm not hallucinating am I?" An unknown boy said
Lamei groaned, rubbing her head as she slowly stood up. Looking around she saw a scared boy, who looked to be in his early teens. Stumbling a little bit, she stabilized herself on a nearby table. Lamei looked at the boy, holding her at gunpoint with a rusted Octo-Pew 2000.
"Of course, I'm real I don't put myself in dangerous places just to be shot by a Octo-Pew"
(Reply to: Dumb Inkling)
Least that's how I think it would work.

ReedRGale

Inkling Commander
Archive updated!

Friend who is more efficent with all things forum related has given me a tip for usage of this archive in the future. He has taught me that I can just link to individual posts. So, I'm going to edit the archive as such later. For now, this will do. Whew.

Aykorn

Inkling Commander
NNID
A_korn
Switch Friend Code
SW-5939-8938-2753
@Rustic Can I just give you props for getting your RP up and running/testing it out well enough to post on the the forum? First idea out of the idea thread to see light!

I will admit, I think the plot of the RP is explained a bit clearer on this thread than your OOC, but your RP sounds really interesting and well thought out. Hope it picks up some well deserved attention.
So yeah, kudos!

Rustic

Inkling Commander
@Rustic Can I just give you props for getting your RP up and running/testing it out well enough to post on the the forum? First idea out of the idea thread to see light!

I will admit, I think the plot of the RP is explained a bit clearer on this thread than your OOC, but your RP sounds really interesting and well thought out. Hope it picks up some well deserved attention.
So yeah, kudos!
Thanks, but I feel as though I could get a lot more across with the introduction of the Ink Capsule with the onboard 'A.I' Octarian Operative Personal Assistant or O.O.P.A which could help the player out, specially if they're not a Ink Producing species (I.E Sharks, Skates, Urchins, Crustaceans and Anemones).
Perhaps making the O.O.P.A give the player nudges and advice against enemies, even giving a reason for no permadeath, which could be incorporated from the introduction.

Maybe you could explain in greater detail how you think I was lacking in the plot explanation? Was it the introduction of that new character, or was it the gap of how you got there?

Aykorn

Inkling Commander
NNID
A_korn
Switch Friend Code
SW-5939-8938-2753
Thanks, but I feel as though I could get a lot more across with the introduction of the Ink Capsule with the onboard 'A.I' Octarian Operative Personal Assistant or O.O.P.A which could help the player out, specially if they're not a Ink Producing species (I.E Sharks, Skates, Urchins, Crustaceans and Anemones).
Perhaps making the O.O.P.A give the player nudges and advice against enemies, even giving a reason for no permadeath, which could be incorporated from the introduction.

Maybe you could explain in greater detail how you think I was lacking in the plot explanation? Was it the introduction of that new character, or was it the gap of how you got there?
I mean, the plot, the separate labs, the setting. I think you just explain the details better.
Also, yeah, there is a bit of gap on how you got there.

Rustic

Inkling Commander
@Aykorn
Speaking of the two labs, I appear to have forgotten one of them in the earlier explanations... whoops.

Another thing should I open two threads, one for each lab? I feel it would be better organized that way

As for the gap. The only way I could explain that, would probably that you get abducted off the streets or even in your own house. Aha! I got the perfect way to say it, straight from Shen's mouth itself. A recorded playback from the(your) O.O.P.A

Rustic

Inkling Commander
I got one.

Bloodborne (Squid Edition)

Summary and Description
Join the hunt as you wrest Yharn- I mean Inkopolis, from the plague of beasts. You join in as a Hunter, whether entering Inkopolis for the first time or waking one fateful night to find the streets overridden by the beasts.

How to Play
I haven't the faintest idea.

Last edited:

Right Whale

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Ciano365
Hello, friends and fans!
I present to you...

UNTIL DAWN
Splatoon edition
(name subject to change)

Alright, here me out
This may seem, well, weird to say the least but the concept of Until Dawn would work well with a permadeath survival RP.

You would put forth your character and I would have a plot that would unveil overtime, like Until Dawn, put the characters through tough scenarios and I will use a random number generator (Or something similar) to determine the outcomes, you could live, you could die, or you could escape with a lost limb or two!
And of course, it takes place on a mountain.
Let me explain how it's going to work more in depth.

How to play
It's going to work like a lot of other active RPs, using an out of action combat system and an inventory
Here's an example.
Examine: Examines a specific object
Pick Up: Picks up a specific object
Attack: Attacks a specific horrible creature
Talk With: Talk with a specific person, or horrible creature.
Go To/Move To: Moves or goes to a specific place
Repair: Repairs a specific object
Group Up: Groups up with another player
That's all I could thing of, please tell me if I missed anything.
And
Currently holding:
Slot 1:
Slot 2:
Slot 3:
Slot 4:
With that out of the way lets discuss some more rules, shall we?

This is PERMADEATH, once you die, YOU ARE OUT! rip
You can stay inside the cabin, the main hub type place for the whole thing until a horrible creature appears and eats you.
Or you can stay with a group of people.
Or you could venture by yourself.
You might be asking, when does the RP end?
First, there will be a time limit to post after a GM giving you your scenario, if you fail to meet that time limit, you will be kicked from the RP, not in a mean way, we just want everyone to be active.
If you specify in the OOC chat that you are busy IRL we will understand and keep you in for the time being.
Now, on to the overall time limit, I will set a date when the RP ends, if you made it UNTIL DAWN, congrats!
If you didn't well, R.I.P.
If everyone dies before it ends, I will close it.

Well, that's it for now.
If I'm missing something, please tell me.
Thanks for reading, I don't know if I'll go through with this, but if I do, I'm gonna need extra GMs.
So if you want to help me GM, PM me!

This is still a WIP so be patient while I work on some more things.
So please, send me feedback on your thoughts about this.
Also, if I do go through with, be on the look for the...

UNTIL DAWN
Splatoon edition
Closed Beta

Yes, I will be having a closed Beta test thing to see if it works, so I might advertise that if anyone is interested.
In the mean time, GOODBYE ^_^

EDIT: Apologies for the two spoilers for Out Of Combat Actions, spoilers are messing up.
-_-

Last edited:

Rustic

Inkling Commander
Hmm... its tempting to sign up. But one question, with the random number generator. Can you... have the possibility of dying right off the bat? I dunno if its explained and I have the short term memory of a brain-damaged goldfish.

Right Whale

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Ciano365
That's one thing I'm trying to figure out, I think I'll out a grace period for the start where you can't die, but get injured. I think that sounds good.

Scarfking

Inkling
NNID
christian
Before i post my RP idea, i want to know- are RPs here exclusive to alternate splatoon worlds? Because i have plenty of ideas that have nothing to do with Splatoon, and it SEEMS that the RPs here are splatoon-oriented.

Rustic

Inkling Commander
Define alternate Splatoon world perhaps? Like, I dunno provide a couple details on said RP ideas. But I'm sure it'll be fine, if you look at some of these *cough* "Until Splatoon" *cough cough* I'm sure people wouldn't have any qualms about your ideas. :p

Scarfking

Inkling
NNID
christian
@Rustic

By "alternate Splatoon world", i mean a Splatoon-based RP, with a couple changes, like most of the RPs here.

Anyway, heres a general synopsis of my RP (Keep in mind Splatoon has nothing to do with this)
A select few of the population in a mideavel setting are recruited by the king to undergo training in a special training ground, far away from anything, in special disciplines to become the nation's peacekeepers. I'll provide a more detailed explanation if someone's interested.

Aykorn

Inkling Commander
NNID
A_korn
Switch Friend Code
SW-5939-8938-2753
@Rustic

By "alternate Splatoon world", i mean a Splatoon-based RP, with a couple changes, like most of the RPs here.

Anyway, heres a general synopsis of my RP (Keep in mind Splatoon has nothing to do with this)
A select few of the population in a mideavel setting are recruited by the king to undergo training in a special training ground, far away from anything, in special disciplines to become the nation's peacekeepers. I'll provide a more detailed explanation if someone's interested.
Yeah! I think if you could flesh it out, that's a totally valid idea! I'm guessing if they're training there will be combat? What would medieval Splatoon weapons be like?

>o> Anyways, I've had this idea for a 1920's Splatoon AU RP for a while so I'd think other RP's like this are cool.

Scarfking

Inkling
NNID
christian
Yeah! I think if you could flesh it out, that's a totally valid idea! I'm guessing if they're training there will be combat? What would medieval Splatoon weapons be like?

>o> Anyways, I've had this idea for a 1920's Splatoon AU RP for a while so I'd think other RP's like this are cool.
"Keep in mind Splatoon has nothing to do with this"
Sorry to burst your bubble.

Rustic

Inkling Commander
So... Inklings are characters, but no Ink-based guns? That's what I'm getting, I think...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom