• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

Spawn Camping: Good or Bad?

zugdude47

Inkster Jr.
NNID
zugdude47
I don't have any problems with spawn camping, i only ever see it during splatfest when their is no form of separation between skill levels. Whenever my team manages to spawn camp is after we have literally taken the entire map. Like i said its only happened during splatfest for me when i'm facing less skilled or practiced players, i know its not very fun for the defending team but when you already have the entire map what do you expect me to do?

I've had teams break out lots of times and sometimes get real close to winning but I've only ever been camped on twice. I don't consider it cheap or unfair because its not like other shooters when your defenseless when spawning.

Aristeia

Pro Squid
NNID
Sifo33
In my mind there are two different kinds of spawn-camping. If your team is overpowering another team and everyone is boxing your team into spawn and you're getting wrecked...then you were just the weaker team. That's how that game went. They were just SO GOOD that you never stood a chance. Nothing wrong with that on either end. The other kind is the kind that gets me mad...that is, when one person abandons the objective, inks a miniscule patch of the other team's spawn, and just sits there and gets several sneaky kills on people just for ****s and giggles. Really dude? Just play the game. It's one thing to flank and break defenses, that's a part of the game. But to be a ****, stay hidden, and get cheap OHKOs without even really doing anything...that's not cool.

Leronne

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Leronne
Switch Friend Code
SW-2169-0003-5242
I honestly don't think spawn camping is a bad thing. I've spawn camped before and i've been spawn camped as well. Did i get pissed when it happened? Yup. But it's a learning experience. Whenever it happens i blame myself for not paying proper attention and stopping the team (or person) before they could get a chance to spawn camp. now for the most part i'm assuming the majority of you are talking about turf war when you say spawn camping is bad/cheap/unfair etc. But how about in a ranked match. Is it still a cheap strategy? the main goal of ranked is to hold the team back so you can complete the objective. Spawn camping is one of those ways of holding the team back. Spawncamps aren't impossible to comeback from. Somewhat hard, but doable. I've made great comebacks and during a spawn camp one mistake and that cost my entire team the match. And besides, spawn camping isn't all that easy either (unless you're playing against a really bad team). Well it's my opinion based on my experience of course.

jsilva

Inkling Cadet
I honestly don't think spawn camping is a bad thing. I've spawn camped before and i've been spawn camped as well. Did i get pissed when it happened? Yup. But it's a learning experience. Whenever it happens i blame myself for not paying proper attention and stopping the team (or person) before they could get a chance to spawn camp. now for the most part i'm assuming the majority of you are talking about turf war when you say spawn camping is bad/cheap/unfair etc. But how about in a ranked match. Is it still a cheap strategy? the main goal of ranked is to hold the team back so you can complete the objective. Spawn camping is one of those ways of holding the team back. Spawncamps aren't impossible to comeback from. Somewhat hard, but doable. I've made great comebacks and during a spawn camp one mistake and that cost my entire team the match. And besides, spawn camping isn't all that easy either (unless you're playing against a really bad team). Well it's my opinion based on my experience of course.
I think it's still cheap in ranked. You're taking advantage of the fact that you know exactly where the other team will be, you can more easily see them, the area is small with limited movement, and there is nothing the team being spawncamped can do to rid themselves of that handicap—that's just the way the game is.

I've only been successfully spawncamped for a reasonable amount of time once, and it was in ranked/squad, but it doesn't make me feel any better that my team gets out of it. It's cheap because it's taking advantage of a handicap.

I think we should give the other team some space to move around and play...

Award

Squid Savior From the Future
“In war, resolution; in defeat, defiance; in victory, magnanimity”
-Winston Churchill.

How one behaves in condition of victory speaks more to their character than how they behave in defeat. When one has the upper hand, is in control of the situation, has claimed victory, there is no need to taunt, to insult, or to belittle. Victory has already been earned. There is no honor in the depravity of making a show of that victory.

I'd agree there are a few types of spawncamps. The only one that is valid, and not cheap, depraved, or exploitative of map designs is when mid is pressed so fully and forward, and the team outplays the other team in open combat so well, that by the endgame, mid has pressed all the way forward to enemy spawn. It is the natural development of a strong forward push throughout the match that could not be defeated.

The others occur when the matchmaker combines two teams that are fully imbalanced, be it in weapon selection or in player skill. As a result, it usually begins with a single player, the best player. Whether it's a ninja camping roller/brush/sploosh that invades and parks in the base, or a super player who comes in guns blazing right into the base early on and starts picking off teammates as they spawn. While the other 3 players are out in mid, this player picks off those respawning, or just making their way out. It usually takes up to 2 respawns to realize what's going on. By this time at least 2 people are now corralled at spawn. By now another player joins in the camp, and possibly a third. Once this point arrives, the match is likely over, and the ramainder is spent with them jumping up and down pelting your spawn shield to taunt (while one of their members lurks in mid to catch stragglers...this player, like myself, is probably avoiding the spawncamp....but still holding mid. Generally the spawncampers have unlimited frequent specials charged, and complete control of your base and/or the map.

The reason it's cheap is due to the fact that both teams were likely mismatched from the start, and as jsilva said, it's an exploit of a game design, specifically, the map layout in which there is no secure area in most maps to stage as a base of operations and exit on many maps. Maps that do provide multiple exits, like Ancho-V and Piranha provide total visibility to the enemy of where anyone is headed. and stupidly provide access to the enemy even in the escape routes. Surprise is a key element for most weapons in this game, and the map design prevents the spawncampers from being surprised. The quick superjump mechanic is what also causes spawncamps to be cheap. As they respawn, they jump back to your base, so if you can't kill ALL of them, you can't kill ANY of them.

If the camp happens as a natural progression of overpowering the enemy, it happens late game, and that's just how it works out. When it's set out as a tactic from the start, its an intentional exploit. Valid, because the game rules make it possible. But wrong, because it violates the way the game is intended to be played and is no longer a friendly game of people playing Splatoon, but a session of who can exploit the rules for their own gain. Like real life. The escape of which is the reason we're playing Splatoon to begin with.

It happens in ranked less often than TW, but still happens with frequency. The problem with it is, it flies in the face of the intended play, so while other players are preparing to play a game with one given objective, the player setting up the camp is exploiting the system to play differently. One can argue it's not against the rules, but I think the point here is that that itself is a defect and oversight. For the same reason baseballs and bats are regulated in the game to be of a certain size and weight class, if you go back far enough in baseball rules that was not the case at one time, and players were exploiting that. It was found that that broke the intended momentum and spirit of the game, and thus a rule was made for it. In Splatoon, they won't be setting that rule, so it is a choice of the player to play with the intended spirit of the game, or to seize any opportunistic solution that will benefit yourself. Clearly it is possible, and doable. But it also speaks volumes of the characters of the campers. Losing a Splatoon match is just a game. Demonstrating a weak character is a trait that lasts a lot longer than Judd's results page.

One additional thought on spawncampers: The overpowered guns blazing type, can simply not be countered. They are overpowered in the game for underpowered teammates. This happens most when an S+ player is stuck against lower rank players. The game puts them in the match with the assumption they can be countered by a team of 4 in normal play. The spawncamping breaks that principle when that player knows they're overskilled and can likely solo dominate their opponent. Takes over the base. From that point on the rest of their team has complete advantage by denying their weaker opponent ANY territory from the start. This can not be countered. The superior player is simply superior.

However the stealth camper types, I've found, are rarely actually good players. They rely on their camping as a crutch to carry them through against players they otherwise cannot defeat. This method only works for them if someone ELSE on their team is superior and can occupy the enemy team through normal combat at mid. They count on their team being strong enough to 3v4 while they're missing and setting up their hiding place. They effectively remove themselves from the game and stay safe, but then when the strong team has boxed in the enemy and the enemy decides to use an alternate route to defeat the good players in mid, the spawncamper strikes them down, and in combination with the strong opponent in mid, and the sneaky stealth camper, they're now fully boxed. But they did not do so through their own skill, but rather abused their teammates skill to hand them soft targets. While it may work well "as a team" I feel that such a strategy might have more of a place in 4v4 squads and private battles where the group determines their map strategy and weapon choice together and sets it into motion against another team's pre-planned strategy rather than abusing teammates hoping they're strong enough to do without you, and relying on the fact that disorganized random opponents won't be prepared for it. I don't feel like I'd object to that type of team strategy so much in a private clan tournament where both teams specifically planned that strategy.

Leronne

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Leronne
Switch Friend Code
SW-2169-0003-5242
I think we should give the other team some space to move around and play...
I do. And i lose matches because of it. I don't care about winning or losing. But i do care when i lose when there was obviously something i could've done to prevent it. Last friday, i was using the forge, and i kept getting paired up with weapons with far less range than the opposing team. One thing i've learned is that if the opposing team has more range and have more map control, more often than not, they could prevent any and all entry. This isn't always the case, but it does happen often. So what do i do to prevent this as much as possible? I go to their base, pick them of, and if i don't get splatted in the proces, spawn camp them. Giving the opponents freedom to move, is just asking for a comeback from the opposing team. I'm a very casual player when i'm playing turf war. I only remeber spawn camping a team in turf war two times (excluding splatfests of course), but i have to play serious because in S ranks, if i don't make that move first, they will. Not only that, but because of walls, chargers, kraken and bubblers which are extremely popular in these ranks, if i take too long to splat them, i run the risk of them getting set up, and steamrolling us. So how do i prevent these? By going to their base. Splatting them, and spawn camping. And this isn't even a full proof plan. Sometimes i fail miserably. But i have to at least try to prevent any sort of drastic push. Because at the end of the day, i do want to win, even if it's not all that important to me.

Anyways i admit it. Spawn camping a lower leveled team in TW, can be unfair. But in ranked, because of it's random nature and unpredictable matchmaking, sometimes it's the only viable strategy (keyword being sometimes). I rarely do it, but when i can, will.

Award

I do. And i lose matches because of it. I don't care about winning or losing. But i do care when i lose when there was obviously something i could've done to prevent it. Last friday, i was using the forge, and i kept getting paired up with weapons with far less range than the opposing team. One thing i've learned is that if the opposing team has more range and have more map control, more often than not, they could prevent any and all entry. This isn't always the case, but it does happen often. So what do i do to prevent this as much as possible? I go to their base, pick them of, and if i don't get splatted in the proces, spawn camp them. Giving the opponents freedom to move, is just asking for a comeback from the opposing team. I'm a very casual player when i'm playing turf war. I only remeber spawn camping a team in turf war two times (excluding splatfests of course), but i have to play serious because in S ranks, if i don't make that move first, they will. Not only that, but because of walls, chargers, kraken and bubblers which are extremely popular in these ranks, if i take too long to splat them, i run the risk of them getting set up, and steamrolling us. So how do i prevent these? By going to their base. Splatting them, and spawn camping. And this isn't even a full proof plan. Sometimes i fail miserably. But i have to at least try to prevent any sort of drastic push. Because at the end of the day, i do want to win, even if it's not all that important to me.

Anyways i admit it. Spawn camping a lower leveled team in TW, can be unfair. But in ranked, because of it's random nature and unpredictable matchmaking, sometimes it's the only viable strategy (keyword being sometimes). I rarely do it, but when i can, will.
I don't think you're alone in that view of S & S+ matches. Especially S+, I've noticed that any time the base gets bum-rushed in the first 20 seconds it's almost always an S+. So you're half right on how that area plays. Though I think that's also part of what's broken in the meta with A- through A+ players attempting to emulate that, but doing so poorly and getting themselves killed, and the game itself mixing up the ranks all the time.

When the teams are unbalanced or the game mixed the ranks, what gets annoying about that is, a player like you comes bursting into my base. Generally you can wipe out my team fast and easy. Depending on what weapon I have, you may or may not be able to take me out easily 1on1. If I have celiter or hydra, I'm probably screwed. If i have a roller or a faster ttk shooter, you're probably screwed. If I have SSPro as well we'll probably dance around for a while shooting until one of us gets the other. If I lose, your team has now taken the objective and a second member of your team joins you in keeping us all camped in. If I win, your team has STILL been out painting and controlling the objective while I've been dancing with you and my team was busy respawning. As such one or two of them are now arriving to pick off my team as they respawn again.

The result is something entirely unfun.

HOWEVER you described the very annoying and frustrating first type of "bad" spawncamp that is generally a result of matchmaking/weapon distribution. It's certainly not as sinister as the second type, though it still sucks any and all fun out of playing the game. When your type becomes sinister though is when your (usually) less skilled teammates leech onto your early success and spend the rest of the match pinging the spawn shield jumping up and down, and/or hovering just below spawn when that was not THEIR victory at all. They get to parade like *holes, irritating the other team when it was your opening gambit that really won it. When I've seen that type, the player in your role usually returns to mid and picks off stragglers as I would do, not generally holding spawn personally, but it set the snowballing into motion that ruins any fun in the rest of the match. I have seen recoveries to a win from an early press like that, but those are generally when the teams are indeed well matched. And lets face it, teams in this game are seldom well matched.

LAX

Pro Squid
NNID
ninfanjohn
This never happens, afaik. Having one team spawncamp means that the other team were being severely outplayed, so the chances of them reclaiming ground that far are zero to none.

That being said, i don't like it. After a while it feels like bullying, ocassionally i'll stupidly fling myself at their spawn just to be less discouraging but that doesn't make it any less annoying for the recieving end.
It's mostly because of the really bad matchmaking in TW that this happens, never seen it in Ranked for obvious reasons. TW is a joke of a mode anyways.
It is possible to escape a spawncamp if you take the proper precautions BEFORE it happens. Also, don't do that thing where you try to act all MLG by dissing turf war. It's not cool m8.

NotAPerso

Inkling Cadet
NNID
PersocomLover
All is fair in love and turf war.

Pushing a moral of self ascribed "fairness" is ridiculous and only comes from players who would rather push blame on something other than their own poor play. Unless a technique is specifically based off of a glitch then it's completely fair.

There are two types of spawn camping and I'll categorize them as spawn bullying and spawn trapping.

Spawn trapping is likely what this thread is primarily referring to as it is when a full team is completely trapped in their spawn bubble and can't safely leave without being splatted almost immediately.
This type only happens in turf wars on certain maps when one team is severely out played. It is the lower skilled team's fault if this happens because it is usually because of players constantly walking directly into unfavorable conditions without thinking. (Can you really blame a player that shoots at someone who walks into their line of fire? That's kind of the point of the game). Admittedly I feel bad for players that don't know any better than to walk into shots but if they don't learn then it's not really the better player's fault and they shouldn't be made to feel guilty for taking advantage of another player's inexperience.
Unfortunately splatfest often enables this due to matchmaking allowing bigger skill differences than regular turf war sessions.

Spawn bullying on the other hand is when a single player plays close to the spawn point in a way that they have an advantage over the respawning player.
This forces the respawning player to either figure out how to deal with the bully or super jump in a potentially unsafe manner. This is more often effective in ranked than turf wars due to being able to distract from the objective without much loss (assuming the bully can take advantage of the extra space and unsafe super jumps).

Both are valid tactics and it's silly to push them as "immoral, exploitive, and cheap".

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
It is possible to escape a spawncamp if you take the proper precautions BEFORE it happens. Also, don't do that thing where you try to act all MLG by dissing turf war. It's not cool m8.
Problem being is that said team cannot avoid this at all if they are being outskilled to the point of being able to get spawncamped, it wouldn't matter if they get spawncamped or not- they are not going to win.

My biggest problem i have with TW is that the matchmaking is just plain awful, which is why spawncamping happens so often there. It literally throws a random selection of players in one room disregarding levels or winning/losing streaks, and unlike Ranked there's no win condition for turf war that can end the match prematurely so the camped party is just stuck there untill 3 minutes have passed or someone presses the power button to their Wii U. Unlike Ranked modes teams currently in danger do not get a free boost to their special charge meter, making it even more unfair for the losing party.

Airi

Inkling Commander
NNID
radiorabbits
Spawn camping can be an extremely annoying thing to happen. However, it is a legitimate strategy. It is a cheap strategy but it's not "weak". Calling spawn camping weak is actually a bit of an oxymoron since if the players camping you were "weak", they wouldn't be camping you in the first place. A lot of people get angry at the other team for spawn camping but honestly... You're directing your anger and salt into the wrong direction. It's not the other team's fault for taking advantage of an opportunity that you gave them. It's your team's fault for giving them the opportunity. Instead of being mad at the other team for playing the game, perhaps we should learn to look at where we went wrong. There's probably a reason that your team is getting camped and it's not the other team's fault.

I can fully understand camping in Ranked. Ranked is a competitive setting. This may sound harsh but you shouldn't hope for any mercy. People are competitive in Ranked. They want to win. That's why they're playing Ranked instead of Turf War. They will attempt to win by any means necessary. If you give them an opening to camp, most will take it to ensure a victory for their team. This is just how the competitive environment works. Mercy is rarely ever around in competitive environments and it rarely works. I've been on teams who decided to take mercy on the opposing team.... We lost. Every single time. You give them the opportunity to come back and they will come back with a vengeance that will cost you the match.

I understand how frustrating spawn camping can be. It's never fun for your team to be backed into a corner like that. However, we shouldn't panic and remember that we can turn around a spawn camp. When I'm using the Hydra during Turf War, I can turn around a spawn camp on most maps using a combination of my Sprinkler and the actual weapon. With the Sprinkler, the campers have two choices... They can stay submerged and allow the Sprinkler to uncover them or they can stand up and take it out - thus revealing themselves to us. Hopefully, I or a teammate will be prepared to shoot them down when that happens. And it usually works honestly.

I won't camp during Turf War because its not a competitive environment. When the opposing team is backed into their base, I'll usually leave to fill in spots that aren't covered yet. This allows me to not take part in the spawn camping and it also allows me to keep an eye on anyone who escaped so they can't easily take back the game. However, if it's a Ranked match.... I will camp if necessary because it is a competitive environment. The other team would have done the same exact thing to us.

So in short.... Yeah. Spawn camping sucks but it's a viable strategy that many - especially competitive players - will take advantage of. So it's both good and bad.

HypernovaSoul

Semi-Pro Squid
I think it's a trolly tactic, but it's so rare and situational that a team is able to do it effectively. To be honest, almost every real spawn camp scenario I've seen has been in Turf Wars, a mode I rarely play, and it happens exclusively when one team has completely obliterated the other's turf...so there isn't exactly anywhere rational for them to go aside from the opposing team's base to keep them closed in. In terms of spawn camping in Ranked, I almost never see a "full" spawn camp scenario where more than one teammate is camped in the enemy base for extended periods of time.

This isn't really a useful tactic in most any Ranked mode, you usually aren't advancing the objective when you do this. Save maybe Splat Zones, but when there are multiple methods of entry swarming one spot won't always help you or your team. And most Ranked players know that. Most Ranked players also know that the spawn camper is not necessarily at the advantage. If they have no backup, they're often completely surrounded by enemy ink in the exact spot where enemies will constantly respawn, initially behind an impenetrable barrier. Sure, you might get a few surprise flanks, but once you're spotted you're highly likely to be taken out if you just persistently camp there. Most "spawn campers" aren't smart and can't realistically use the tactic for long without being flushed out. Turf Wars is the only time I've seen extended durations of it, and honestly in the situations it does happen, I can't really think of an alternative of what the winning team should do instead. Wander around and allow the enemy to reclaim turf? Ain't gonna happen.

Now, a single player patrolling nearby an enemy base for flanks, I don't consider that full-on "spawn camping," and skilled players should prepare themselves for that as they should any other flank risks. And as others have said, if a team allows the enemy enough advancement that their entire team has closed in right on the base, that's on them.

If you rely on it too much as an actual technique, yeah, it's lame and trolly. And honestly not very effective in Ranked. But if you're allowing yourself to be overwhelmed by people who do it, you probably aren't approaching it from the right angle. Utilize your subs, your range, your spawn point's barrier. And you should be just fine.

MeTaGross

Inkling Cadet
Didn't bother to read the last 5-10 posts, sorry, there are a lot of posts on one page.

If it is spawn camping in the middle of the battle by yourself while some of your team is doing whatever and some of their team is doing whatever, then it's fine. If it is all players at one spawn, that isn't very fun. Small spawn camps can be a good strategy at times.

I camped once in ranked on tower control for a short time and my team almost got a knockout during that time, though I died once they had 3 people there. That doesn't happen in TW, which really does have an awful match making system.

birdiebee

Inkling Commander
NNID
birdiebee
One thing to address to those who find it cheap when one person "sneaks" to your base and camps there... (and I am mostly referring to Ranked here because I rarely play Turf) allowing one of theirs to slip into your base is an oversight on your (team's) part. In a lot (not all) situations where I have eliminated a camper in my base, they don't come back. They know there is at least one player aware of their tactic and that I am working to prevent it. Thats why people stress the importance of monitoring ink trails on your gamepad (or even not on your gamepad). If someone is setting up camp, and you haven't gotten splatted yet, try to pick them off from behind.

As for Turf, I feel like a **** when I camp the enemy team because they are weak. I do know it is bullying and they have little to no chance due to inexperience, but sometimes I just get a kick out of it. Idk. The mode isn't competitive as others have stated so winning or losing makes little difference. If getting camped bothers you, leave and try a different lobby. Likewise, if my opponents aren't giving me a fun challenge, I'll try a different lobby.

Btw, I don't spawn camp very often at all. I personally find it a bit boring and I enjoy being in the heat of the battle (similar as to why I dont snipe often). But I don't think it abandons the objective. The objective is victory, and there are numerous routes that can lead you to it. Camping is just one of them.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Spawn camping is neither good or bad in my eyes. It's annoying, regardless of which team I'm on. Yes, very good, you're keeping the enemy from doing anything, and by extension the rest of us too in a lot of cases. Bah.

Award

I can fully understand camping in Ranked. Ranked is a competitive setting. This may sound harsh but you shouldn't hope for any mercy. People are competitive in Ranked. They want to win. That's why they're playing Ranked instead of Turf War. They will attempt to win by any means necessary. If you give them an opening to camp, most will take it to ensure a victory for their team. This is just how the competitive environment works. Mercy is rarely ever around in competitive environments and it rarely works. I've been on teams who decided to take mercy on the opposing team.... We lost. Every single time. You give them the opportunity to come back and they will come back with a vengeance that will cost you the match.
I can't wholly disagree with you on that, and yet, I can't help but think that the purpose of combat in a game, other than for entertainment, is to be an exercise in civility versus barbarism. In fact that was largely the purpose of the invention of chess to begin with. To substitute sending thousands to be impaled on the end of a spear via a civil competition. Making the CHOICE for fair open combat versus "win at all costs, anything is justified" is a choice to follow civil discourse. The choice does not have to be taken, but as I said, it reflects a lot on the person making that choice.

It is the same logic you state by which every monster in human history has justified their actions. We can easily condemn the gulags and ovens of Stalin and Hitler now. But had they WON would be be singing their praises as necessary steps to ensure victory of the righteous? Genocide and biowarfare ARE indeed perfectly valid, viable techniques to win a war. Why not use those viable, successful, somewhat cheap and immoral but ultimately a massive asset to success methods? But they aren't very civil.

This is Splatoon, not real warfare, but then again, that's kind of the point. If we can't even agree to civil "gentleman's agreements" in how we fight virtual battles for amusement - what extremes we will or will not go to in the name of victory with little virtual characters on a screen, why would we not laugh in the face of such nicities in real warfare when sovereignty and way of life are on the line? Where does civility start and end? If victory is more important than showing a spirit of decency to your opponents in a video game, would the same not apply to even greater extremes in real warfare? If decency and civility weren't in consideration, half of Earth would have been wiped out by now.

I'm not ragging on you, I know you're not "one of those" players, but it does spark an interesting philosophy when you read responses here. But it's kind of an interesting social experiment.

I understand how frustrating spawn camping can be. It's never fun for your team to be backed into a corner like that. However, we shouldn't panic and remember that we can turn around a spawn camp. When I'm using the Hydra during Turf War, I can turn around a spawn camp on most maps using a combination of my Sprinkler and the actual weapon. With the Sprinkler, the campers have two choices... They can stay submerged and allow the Sprinkler to uncover them or they can stand up and take it out - thus revealing themselves to us. Hopefully, I or a teammate will be prepared to shoot them down when that happens. And it usually works honestly.
I agree with that one, I posted in another thread that the Custom Hydra is the only weapon I've ever been able to single handedly reverse spawn-camps with in TW. It's incredibly effective at that task.

Btw, I don't spawn camp very often at all. I personally find it a bit boring and I enjoy being in the heat of the battle (similar as to why I dont snipe often). But I don't think it abandons the objective. The objective is victory, and there are numerous routes that can lead you to it. Camping is just one of them.
As a sniper I can safely say the heat of the battle will manage to find you every time, not to worry! ;)

Airi

Inkling Commander
NNID
radiorabbits
I can't wholly disagree with you on that, and yet, I can't help but think that the purpose of combat in a game, other than for entertainment, is to be an exercise in civility versus barbarism. In fact that was largely the purpose of the invention of chess to begin with. To substitute sending thousands to be impaled on the end of a spear via a civil competition. Making the CHOICE for fair open combat versus "win at all costs, anything is justified" is a choice to follow civil discourse. The choice does not have to be taken, but as I said, it reflects a lot on the person making that choice.

It is the same logic you state by which every monster in human history has justified their actions. We can easily condemn the gulags and ovens of Stalin and Hitler now. But had they WON would be be singing their praises as necessary steps to ensure victory of the righteous? Genocide and biowarfare ARE indeed perfectly valid, viable techniques to win a war. Why not use those viable, successful, somewhat cheap and immoral but ultimately a massive asset to success methods? But they aren't very civil.

This is Splatoon, not real warfare, but then again, that's kind of the point. If we can't even agree to civil "gentleman's agreements" in how we fight virtual battles for amusement - what extremes we will or will not go to in the name of victory with little virtual characters on a screen, why would we not laugh in the face of such nicities in real warfare when sovereignty and way of life are on the line? Where does civility start and end? If victory is more important than showing a spirit of decency to your opponents in a video game, would the same not apply to even greater extremes in real warfare? If decency and civility weren't in consideration, half of Earth would have been wiped out by now.

I'm not ragging on you, I know you're not "one of those" players, but it does spark an interesting philosophy when you read responses here. But it's kind of an interesting social experiment.
It's....seriously just a simple video game is all. :confused: I never will understand these wild comparisons. What does Splatoon have to do with real warfare? Nothing. It has nothing to do with real warfare nor the issues we face in everyday life. Why does it have to be brought up and compared to Splatoon? It doesn't make any sense and frankly, it's taking the fun out of Splatoon. I don't want to have to think about real world problems every single time that I play an innocent Nintendo game. We're talking about spawn camping in an innocent video game. Not talking about wiping out an entire race. The two aren't even comparable. I just...really don't understand. :confused:

No. Not the same cannot be said nor applied to real life. It is a simple video game. What a player does in video games does not show how they would react to something in real life. That's actually a bit of a crazy thought. We're use weapons based off of real weapons. Does that mean we're going to pick up a gun and go kill someone because we did that in Splatoon? Of course not. That would be crazy to say. So why try to connect genocide and warfare with a video game? Just because someone spawn camps in a video game doesn't mean they're going to go off and support a real war where real lives are at stack. This doesn't make any sense at all and frankly, it's an extremely wild and out there comparison to make. This is on the same level of people who say video games make people violent. Except they don't and it's just a wild comparison.

I think this will be my last response. I know you didn't mean any offense but I'm certainly not interested in having the subject compared to real life warfare.
I'd rather continue to play the game for fun and that's all. So I'll just leave this conversation here.

DavAndrus

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Dorkdav
I think it's stupid to do in Turf War because you're denying yourself points if the other team can't retake turf but if you're just looking for the win it's a legit tactic.

Swop

Inkling
NNID
CottonSwop
I think it's stupid to do in Turf War because you're denying yourself points if the other team can't retake turf but if you're just looking for the win it's a legit tactic.
lol, you kinda just summed everything up into two sentences.

Rockenberg

CEO of Rockenberg
NNID
Rockenberg_Ltd
I've only done it in Turf War... Once I get my 400p I could careless about how many points I get afterwards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom