• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Splatdashing, An Advanced technique

WydrA

Inkling Commander
lol whoa. a year ago? If he found that out at around E3 then dang that man is quick.
Welp, it was bound to be discovered by multiple people on their own I guess.
Indeed, as all gret techs are. And the man is TO Joe. Ofc he managed to find it out in no time. Shame he doesn't seem to have an account on the boards anymore though :/ Was really hoping to see him around in the scene.

Kayeka

Pro Squid
NNID
Kayeka
Anything that can get people to roll out faster is a plus in my book. I'm just not quite convinced it is that much better than splaterhopping, especially when you consider that splatterhopping gives you a bit more manoeuvrability in case you get jumped.

Boasting Toast

Inkling
NNID
BoastingToast
here is me using it during the demo. Splatterhopping is definitely not faster. I spent 3 hours in tutorial mode when the servers were down working on it.
Actually discovered splatterdashing before anyone told me about it. Just ask @WydrA , but I do really like the name

P.S. sry bout the quality ain't a pro-youtuber lol
I see. I take back what I said, I didn't experiment enough, wasn't aware of the full potential, mine looked more similar to the other video. Good stuff.

Flying_Tortoise

Sushi Chef
Anything that can get people to roll out faster is a plus in my book. I'm just not quite convinced it is that much better than splaterhopping, especially when you consider that splatterhopping gives you a bit more manoeuvrability in case you get jumped.
Hmmm splatterhopping may have better maneuverability, as I was only comparing the speeds between splatterhopping and splatterdashing by going a set distance and having my bro use a timer to record the time differences between the two, while I was in tutorial mode for the hours I was in it.
Here is the thing, Splatterhopping has more inputs and when you are in a high pressure situation you will mess up or are at least more likely to mess up. This usually results in slowing down your pace. Also even when doing it perfectly, Splatterdashing was always faster. And not to mention that splatterdashing has less inputs so easier to pull off under pressure.

I see. I take back what I said, I didn't experiment enough, wasn't aware of the full potential, mine looked more similar to the other video. Good stuff.
thanks man, appreciate it.

TheRapture

Dystopian Future Paint Desperado
Admin
NNID
Ya_Boi_Rapture
Sorry for double post but thought this was interesting:
Apparently this tech was discovered almost a year ago, and by none other than TorontoJoe. He even gave it the same name. This just coincidence or did you just purpose name it after what Joe named it Lobster? Either way was really cool finding this lol: https://twitter.com/TorontoJoe/status/478354150799843329
This is pretty interesting. The name "squidtech" came from myself and Joe when we played Splatoon at E3. It came pretty simply to us in just a few games. He then, as you can see, posted about it on Twitter. He is, as am I, part of the original Squid Squad lol

Kayeka

Pro Squid
NNID
Kayeka
Hmmm splatterhopping may have better maneuverability, as I was only comparing the speeds between splatterhopping and splatterdashing by going a set distance and having my bro use a timer to record the time differences between the two, while I was in tutorial mode for the hours I was in it.
Here is the thing, Splatterhopping has more inputs and when you are in a high pressure situation you will mess up or are at least more likely to mess up. This usually results in slowing down your pace. Also even when doing it perfectly, Splatterdashing was always faster. And not to mention that splatterdashing has less inputs so easier to pull off under pressure.
Fair enough. Being faster is generally enough to get some proper rollout going, so this technique/squick/did-we-figure-that-out-yet? already has value in that regard. I'm just not feeling quite secure about swimming around in enemy territory with only a drop of your own ink around you to facilitate movement in a potential firefight.

TheRapture

Dystopian Future Paint Desperado
Admin
NNID
Ya_Boi_Rapture
Fair enough. Being faster is generally enough to get some proper rollout going, so this technique/squick/did-we-figure-that-out-yet? already has value in that regard. I'm just not feeling quite secure about swimming around in enemy territory with only a drop of your own ink around you to facilitate movement in a potential firefight.
To be fair, there's a difference between using a movement technique to get a certain position (like right out of spawn to a particular spot on the map) as opposed to using a movement technique in general combat. Of course there's little need to use a lot of paint when you're simply trying to make headway to a choke point or high ground, but when fighting, you'll certainly have more than your own sole drop of ink to work with (that is, I'd hope so if you want to survive the fight).

WydrA

Inkling Commander
This is pretty interesting. The name "squidtech" came from myself and Joe when we played Splatoon at E3. It came pretty simply to us in just a few games. He then, as you can see, posted about it on Twitter. He is, as am I, part of the original Squid Squad lol
Oh well I'm glad to hear he's still a part of the community. Hopefully my squad will match your squad sometime I can tell all my friends I beat TO joe lol

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
Very interesting. I don't know how useful it will be but I am definitely liking all of the movement options. :)

Vayu

Inkster Jr.
NNID
baamin

thanks man, appreciate it.
Splathopping is faster going up an incline, because you aren't subject to the momentum going against as much.

Flying_Tortoise

Sushi Chef
Splathopping is faster going up an incline, because you aren't subject to the momentum going against as much.
this is true, but I think for very steep incline. As this came up while in tutorial mode when trying to do it in the skate park up along the steep slopes.
Haven't compared whether S.Hopping or S.Dashing is better for slight declines. Definite possibility that needs testing. In my gut I feel that for slight decline mb S.dash > S.Hop but again I haven't tested it

FunkyLobster

Inkling Commander
NNID
FunkyLobster
Read full thread pls :s

Also, i'm kind of glad that Splatterhopping is better up inclines. Hopefully it won't totally disappear this way :)
splatterhopping was never at risk of being completely abandoned... it gives you more speed than splatdashing, if not as much ink coverage

they're just interchangeable techniques that are both good to use depending on the situation

Undr

Wanted to mess around with this properly prior to really giving my view on it. As Funky mentioned these two techniques are interchangeable. They're even complimentary enough wherein you can mix them up in procession.

The biggest and really only red flag to doing this is the sacrificed awareness it requires. It remains to be seen but I feel like this is going to be one of the aspects of the game that will only be beneficial at the beginning (and other situational times) of a match for positioning purposes. Once the competitive scene starts to get the knack of the game, one will have to have constant awareness of his/her surroundings.

Luckily there isn't much commitment to using this tech so it should be easy to turn on and off during a match.

WydrA

Inkling Commander
splatterhopping was never at risk of being completely abandoned... it gives you more speed than splatdashing, if not as much ink coverage

they're just interchangeable techniques that are both good to use depending on the situation
I thought we already agreed that when optimized it looks like splatdashing is faster than splaterhopping? And ink coverage was never really the point of either of them, so it was looking like splatdash had the potential to push s-hopping into relative non-existence.At least in modes where turf coverage isn't the primary objective.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom