• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

Splatdashing, An Advanced technique

Kosaki

Pro Squid
NNID
Kosaki-0

Tried using it in match, seemed useful.
It doesn't seem that practical to me at inking turf, even movement maybe. You're clearly hurting yourself not spreading enough ink in front of you, but that might just be my personal impression.
For movement, it's definitely a nice option if you can go full speed most of the time. Although I think "splathoping" is overall better, because you can carry your momentum all along.
Take a look, switching between both techniques :

I'd say, splatdashing is good when you want versatility, so you can react to situations, and splathoping good if you want to rush all out to gain map control, especially at the start of a game.

EDIT : Nevermind, just saw @Flying_Tortoise's vid. Splatdashing seems faster. Splathoping is useless at this point if it's being confirmed.

Last edited:

Flying_Tortoise

Sushi Chef
I mean there are definitely times when it isn't appropriate to use S-Dashing.
For example when jumping off a platform you should use the time to make a nice long path so that when you land you can swim a farther distance than S-dash which makes it faster.
How good someone's movement is will be determined by how well you can choose the right movement options for the right time. Although S-dash is rly good it is definitely not the only way to move nor should it be the only way you move.

By the way you can also S-dash diagonally while in opponent's ink lol so you could serpentine to get out of a bad situation. (If you feel it would mess with your opponents aim).

WiseSquid

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Lornomeister
In turf war this is useless. Look at the score on the top right of the screen. It is the only thing that matters and if it's not rising rapidly you're not contributing. basically your doing both moving and inking badly. Check my guide your on the right track though:P (shameless self promotion.)

FunkyLobster

Inkling Commander
NNID
FunkyLobster
In turf war this is useless. Look at the score on the top right of the screen. It is the only thing that matters and if it's not rising rapidly you're not contributing. basically your doing both moving and inking badly. Check my guide your on the right track though:p (shameless self promotion.)
???

the purpose of splatdashing is to spread ink while moving forward, so your points will be going up since youre spreading ink...

it's an in between of spreading as much ink as possible and getting from point a to point b as fast as possible, which is a perfectly fine compromise in a gamemode with a 3 minute time limit and you need to get a lot done in such a small amount of time

also youre assuming that making the most points is the equivalent of being a good team player

FunkyLobster

Inkling Commander
NNID
FunkyLobster
I thought we already agreed that when optimized it looks like splatdashing is faster than splaterhopping? And ink coverage was never really the point of either of them, so it was looking like splatdash had the potential to push s-hopping into relative non-existence.At least in modes where turf coverage isn't the primary objective.
splatdashing cannot compare to splatterhopping if you make the most momentum out of your jumps, but i would imagine they're very similar in speed, so it's up for debate which technique in the long run will be the most effective

but honestly, why do we have to have that debate? they're sister techniques with similar results and enough room in the world for both of them. you can even splatdash into a splatterhop and splatterhop into a splatdash, which i imagine we'll be seeing a lot of

WydrA

Inkling Commander
splatdashing cannot compare to splatterhopping if you make the most momentum out of your jumps, but i would imagine they're very similar in speed, so it's up for debate which technique in the long run will be the most effective

but honestly, why do we have to have that debate? they're sister techniques with similar results and enough room in the world for both of them. you can even splatdash into a splatterhop and splatterhop into a splatdash, which i imagine we'll be seeing a lot of
Well I mean you'd have to take that up with @Flying_Tortoise . He's said that he's tested both of them together, and that spatdashing is almost definitely faster. It is a little important to know which is faster since as we all know every second counts in the game.

DatGuyAegis

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Tmoney670
I think it's amazing that the community has already come up with 2 Advanced Techniques! Both to be used in different ways I feel like Splat jumping would be better for a hasty retreat.

WiseSquid

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Lornomeister
???

the purpose of splatdashing is to spread ink while moving forward, so your points will be going up since youre spreading ink...

it's an in between of spreading as much ink as possible and getting from point a to point b as fast as possible, which is a perfectly fine compromise in a gamemode with a 3 minute time limit and you need to get a lot done in such a small amount of time

also youre assuming that making the most points is the equivalent of being a good team player
YES! Thank

???

YES! Thank you! That is exactly what I am saying! That number only goes up when you ink turf of value therefore if everybody in the team focusses on that then you will surely win. Try it out next testfire I guerentee it. Make that number rise! It' s the only thing that matters. Think about it, if everysquid focusses on their score they will all spread out right in the beginning to have as much turf for themselves. They will move forward very quickly because once again more score. And above all the special meter will rise really fast another advantage against your opposing team. Basically what Iḿ saying fucussing on score makes you an indirect team player because there is more turf for your team to use.

srry for the weirdness iḿ on an old tablet.

Snacks

Inkling
NNID
Snacks
It's definitely not up for debate. Next time you are swimming through just a normal line of ink and press x to jump, pay attention to how the speed lines on the side of the screen disappear and you notably lose some momentum. The fact that jumping slows your momentum compared to swimming is just a physic of the game, so if you are comparing a method that uses swimming compared to one that uses jumping, swimming will always be faster in every case. It doesn't matter how mechanically well you can preform splatterhopping, it will always be slower due the game's physics.

Also I want to point out something between these techniques and normally shooting ink for half a second then swimming to the end of the trail, and repeating (can also be just as fast if you are proficient at spreading ink and can make it so that you swim for the majority of time). Depending how often you die or how often that trail gets used, normally spreading ink could give a net speed boost across the entire match. If you die it will be faster to just swim across a line of ink already laid out for you, instead of trying to traverse the random spots of ink on the ground from your sdash. Not only that, but leaving a trail means teammates can get back into the fight faster as well, if it is unsafe to super jump. I would think a net speed gain across your entire team is much more effective than getting to an area 1 second before someone who is spreading ink normally. Just because these "techs" are possible doesn't necessarily mean they are better than the tried and true way to ink.

And of course this is just comparing rollouts for something like ranked mode, in turfwar WiseSquid is correct, it is absolutly more effective to do the line spread method. Sdash is next to useless in turf war. Sjump is useless all the time.

Mondrae205

Senior Squid
It is not useless in turf war. For one it lets you go down thin alleys faster, secondly it lets you travel through opponents ink faster. You can use it to infiltrate or escape if you need to.

Flying_Tortoise

Sushi Chef
It's definitely not up for debate. Next time you are swimming through just a normal line of ink and press x to jump, pay attention to how the speed lines on the side of the screen disappear and you notably lose some momentum. The fact that jumping slows your momentum compared to swimming is just a physic of the game, so if you are comparing a method that uses swimming compared to one that uses jumping, swimming will always be faster in every case. It doesn't matter how mechanically well you can preform splatterhopping, it will always be slower due the game's physics.

Also I want to point out something between these techniques and normally shooting ink for half a second then swimming to the end of the trail, and repeating (can also be just as fast if you are proficient at spreading ink and can make it so that you swim for the majority of time). Depending how often you die or how often that trail gets used, normally spreading ink could give a net speed boost across the entire match. If you die it will be faster to just swim across a line of ink already laid out for you, instead of trying to traverse the random spots of ink on the ground from your sdash. Not only that, but leaving a trail means teammates can get back into the fight faster as well, if it is unsafe to super jump. I would think a net speed gain across your entire team is much more effective than getting to an area 1 second before someone who is spreading ink normally. Just because these "techs" are possible doesn't necessarily mean they are better than the tried and true way to ink.

And of course this is just comparing rollouts for something like ranked mode, in turfwar WiseSquid is correct, it is absolutly more effective to do the line spread method. Sdash is next to useless in turf war. Sjump is useless all the time.
I got to say I only agree with your top paragraph. S-hop is slower, end of discussion. To anyone who disagrees, please read the other pages and look at the videos before responding. Why argue if you haven't heard what others have discussed?
If you haven't seen the video of s-dashing at about its fastest, which I hope you did its here.

As to your second paragraph, yep if done perfect the timing are pretty close. But I do believe s-dash is faster, I got to say this b/c I didn't actually time it like I did between s-hop and s-dash.
3rd paragraph, if you have 2 ppl s-dashing to the center to grab ink, while the other 2 work on the path to the center I fail to see how you are at a disadvantage. With this you just got the center and your path, this is what always happened in every turf war I was in (except it was just me s-dashing, while I got the entire center)
It is not useless in turf war. For one it lets you go down thin alleys faster, secondly it lets you travel through opponents ink faster. You can use it to infiltrate or escape if you need to.
thank you.
And besides if you rly want your line just time it differently, you lose speed but you get your line.

Snacks

Inkling
NNID
Snacks
As to your second paragraph, yep if done perfect the timing are pretty close. But I do believe s-dash is faster, I got to say this b/c I didn't actually time it like I did between s-hop and s-dash.
3rd paragraph, if you have 2 ppl s-dashing to the center to grab ink, while the other 2 work on the path to the center I fail to see how you are at a disadvantage. With this you just got the center and your path, this is what always happened in every turf war I was in (except it was just me s-dashing, while I got the entire center)
Absolutely, I'm not arguing that normal inking is faster than sdash, I'm just saying maybe getting there as fast as possible isn't always going to make up for the possible downsides. For possible example, it doesn't give you a safe escape route because even if you can escape quickly using sdash, not only is it slower than having a prepared trail behind you already, but you will also be a lot easier to spot and they will see where you escaped to. Another example is like I said above, maybe you are the only one who went down a certain trail and your teammates went down different ones so they couldn't cover it up. If you end up going down that trail a second time, it's going to be faster if you have already layed down an ink trail the first time passing it. Another example is map awareness, normal effective inking should have you looking down the horizon line most of the time, so you can generally see everything going on around you. Sdash on the other hand, forces you to be constantly looking at the ground, meaning for example an enemy could have went in a certain direction to go ambush your allies, ambush you from behind or maybe sneak into your base and gain a bunch of ink for their team with no resistance, and you wouldn't have seen it. Whereas normal inking you could have seen them, and done something about it. Lastly as far as having 2 people s-dash to mid while 2 get the area by your base, now you are getting into strategies that you would need to be in a pre-made team for, and I'm sure there will be techniques like double lines where one player inks a line while the other player swims through it, when he reaches the end he inks a line while the first player swims through both of them, and so on which might end up being faster rollouts to the middle.

All of this discussion is speculation of course, sdashing could be the go-to rollout on every map for every mode, or it could end up having too many cons and capturing middle early might not end up being as important on every map. Only time will tell once we actually get our hands on the game.

D

Deleted Member

So how do you do splathopping and splatdashing? What are the benefits to each?

Flying_Tortoise

Sushi Chef
Absolutely, I'm not arguing that normal inking is faster than sdash, I'm just saying maybe getting there as fast as possible isn't always going to make up for the possible downsides. For possible example, it doesn't give you a safe escape route because even if you can escape quickly using sdash, not only is it slower than having a prepared trail behind you already, but you will also be a lot easier to spot and they will see where you escaped to. Another example is like I said above, maybe you are the only one who went down a certain trail and your teammates went down different ones so they couldn't cover it up. If you end up going down that trail a second time, it's going to be faster if you have already layed down an ink trail the first time passing it. Another example is map awareness, normal effective inking should have you looking down the horizon line most of the time, so you can generally see everything going on around you. Sdash on the other hand, forces you to be constantly looking at the ground, meaning for example an enemy could have went in a certain direction to go ambush your allies, ambush you from behind or maybe sneak into your base and gain a bunch of ink for their team with no resistance, and you wouldn't have seen it. Whereas normal inking you could have seen them, and done something about it. Lastly as far as having 2 people s-dash to mid while 2 get the area by your base, now you are getting into strategies that you would need to be in a pre-made team for, and I'm sure there will be techniques like double lines where one player inks a line while the other player swims through it, when he reaches the end he inks a line while the first player swims through both of them, and so on which might end up being faster rollouts to the middle.

All of this discussion is speculation of course, sdashing could be the go-to rollout on every map for every mode, or it could end up having too many cons and capturing middle early might not end up being as important on every map. Only time will tell once we actually get our hands on the game.
This is why I wanted to respond to your initial post, you learned about s-dash and then learned the pro's and con's to it. Thank you.
I completely agree 100% there is a time and place of s-dash, and with pre-made team strat it can be improved. When I use s-dash I only go a certain distance, surround my area in ink then continue to s-dash b/c I realize looking down will put me in trouble, and I that I the better escape plan is to be prepared with your own ink. However if you were caught off guard, surrounded in opponents ink, s-dash is the way to go, which you also pointed out.

edit:
s-hop = squid -> jump while holding squid trigger -> shoot a ink spot -> let go of shooting trigger and you'll turn to a squid -> rinse and repeat
-benfits? personally idk anymore. s-dash is faster and you react quicker, but I say its cool to know b/c mb someone could find a use for it.

-s-dash= shoot a paint by your feet (when starting the cycle your feet need to start in the ink) -> squid and keep holding that squid trigger -> swim outside of your paint (you will carry momentum) -> as you start losing momentum or slowing down , ZR and
-benefits= its easier to perform, faster, allows for reactions
edit 2: now I will wait until the game comes out, for ppl to realize that there is a time and place for it.

Last edited:

Hope

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Agrexis
Splatdashing is spamming the turn-into-a-squid-button while shooting at the ground beneath your feet. It isn't very useful, so it isn't worth learning. And even then it's not really "learning" as it just uses the basic mechanics in the game. Basically don't worry about it.

Splathopping is using X to jump onto turf in squid form that does not have your ink on it, then turning into an inkling to shoot the ground where you will land with your ink, and then turning back into a squid right before you land onto this turf that you have just inked with your gun. So jump in squid form, shoot the ground where you will land with your ink, turn back into squid form as you hit the ink; rinse and repeat. This also isn't an advanced technique, rather, it is utilizing the core mechanics of the game to your advantage. Basically what splatterhopping, or s-hopping, does is allow you to maintain squid form momentum outside of areas controlled by your team's ink.

D

Deleted Member

Ok so there are two conflicting statements. Hope says that splatdashing isn't very useful, while splathopping is. While Flying_Tortoise says the exact opposite. So, which is it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom