• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Splatdashing, An Advanced technique

Mondrae205

Senior Squid
It looks cool, but it doesn't seem very effective for Turf War. You release more ink just by walking around while shooting.
If you are in a,narrow passage where you aren't going to spray everywhere or just want to go through enemie ink fast this is great.

Flying_Tortoise

Sushi Chef
So if its about as fast as splatterhopping why would you ever splatterhop? The trail of ink you leave behind is really good compared to the pools when you splatterhop.
I honestly think Splatterhop is now obselete. Lol the game isn't even out yet we have movement options trumping others.
Splathopping could still see usage as a way of moving through the enemy team's ink quickly in order to backdoor or ambush them, since small patches of ink are less noticeable than a whole trail. If the enemy sees you, you should switch to a different movement option, but it's useful for sneaking through their turf to an important area.
I don't believe the puddle you make in splatterhopping is small enough that ppl avoid it, enemy will still notice the trail. Its actually surprising how small of a puddle you can hide in (like it literally makes you think no enemy spot is safe), but to make that small puddle...Idk its definitely not easy and I couldn't get a consistent way of doing it.

Idk I was able to get through enemy ink just fine with splatterdash and it was still faster than splatterhopping, but the to make it efficient timing is key.
According to Flying tortoise this ins't even it's final form...
So b/c I practiced it in tutorial mode I had it down before the last time the servers were up. People were trying to splatterhop but I was always faster than them b/c I had the timing down for splatterdash. Every match I played I was always first to the center by I want to say like 4+ seconds (I let my teammates cover the ground behind me while I took control of the middle). But yah how much time it took for the enemy to get to the middle of course depended on how much time they spent trying to paint their area, I realize this.

flc

Inkling Commander
NNID
fiveleafclover
I honestly think Splatterhop is now obselete.
that noise was obsolete before it was even found lol

and really, considering that "shoot, swim, jump" or whatever it was (i.e. this technique) has been repeatedly demonstrated in the trailer and even pointed out in the direct (even if it was done a little slowly), this isn't really an advanced tech. maybe if you found a way to use this to greatly extend the range on your weapon or maybe store a charger shot, then maybe we'd be looking at something worthwhile here

I mean I'm not trying to funsponge here but let's not get too worked up about a core mechanic

gameonion

Full Squid
NNID
gameonion
I recorded some nice gameplay of this tech / strat / whatever last session, gotta upload it.

NNID
LobsterBard
Sorry about the lack of Posts here guys, ive been busy packing for college and all, but thank you guys so much for the feedback, positive or negative,

And thank you @gameonion for making a video of it when i couldnt, i honestly tdidnt think this would get as popular as this did! as the game comes out hopefully i can find more techniques for different weapons too. i really appreciate all this guys

Boasting Toast

Inkling
NNID
BoastingToast
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I had this idea and experimented with it during Global Testfire, and it's not very useful at all. Just firing with your Splattershot in a straight line then swimming to the end is faster for covering more ground with ink, and splatterhopping is faster for traveling, so there's really no use for it. I got excited when I thought about it, but in action it's fairly useless.

GamingWarthog

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
GamingWarthog
So with things like faster run speed / faster swim speed, would this become even better than before? It very well could.
Depending on how fast the faster swim and run speed is, it could make it impossible to use the technique or put people who don't use it on equal footing with those who do (rendering the ability useless for weapons that can splatdash). I'm very interested in seeing how those gear abilities interact with all of the movement based techs we have.

Flying_Tortoise

Sushi Chef

Tried using it in match, seemed useful.
I see what you are doing but I use it in another way. I don't immediately shoot b/c it means you don't travel as far, and makes you slower.

Your better off jumping in and out of ink while shooting. You cover more turf and can progress much quicker.
meh, splatterhop doesn't cover more than splatterdash and its slower than splatterdash. If you meant just squid, shoot, squid, shoot like what everyone else does, yes there is a time and place for it. Splatterdash is primarily meant to get to some area quick (don't go right into enemy or else you are surrounded in their ink)
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I had this idea and experimented with it during Global Testfire, and it's not very useful at all. Just firing with your Splattershot in a straight line then swimming to the end is faster for covering more ground with ink, and splatterhopping is faster for traveling, so there's really no use for it. I got excited when I thought about it, but in action it's fairly useless.
here is me using it during the demo. Splatterhopping is definitely not faster. I spent 3 hours in tutorial mode when the servers were down working on it.
Actually discovered splatterdashing before anyone told me about it. Just ask @WydrA , but I do really like the name

P.S. sry bout the quality ain't a pro-youtuber lol

WydrA

Inkling Commander
I see what you are doing but I use it in another way. I don't immediately shoot b/c it means you don't travel as far, and makes you slower.

meh, splatterhop doesn't cover more than splatterdash and its slower than splatterdash. If you meant just squid, shoot, squid, shoot like what everyone else does, yes there is a time and place for it. Splatterdash is primarily meant to get to some area quick (don't go right into enemy or else you are surrounded in their ink)

here is me using it during the demo. Splatterhopping is definitely not faster. I spent 3 hours in tutorial mode when the servers were down working on it.
Actually discovered splatterdashing before anyone told me about it. Just ask @WydrA , but I do really like the name

Oh cool, didn't realize you got footage. Was going to say i thought you mentioned that you were actually manging to swim where there wasn't even ink. DW about quaity, the vid was till great.

GamingWarthog

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
GamingWarthog

Oh man I also discovered this on my own but I was doing it all wrong. I didn't think of going in squid form outside of my own ink in any non Ledge Hopping situation, now your comment about going through enemy turf makes more sense.

CoopLan

Squid Streamer
NNID
LanceHS

How is splatterdashing different from splatter hopping?

edit: Nevermind, it just has no jump.

Flying_Tortoise

Sushi Chef
lol whoa. a year ago? If he found that out at around E3 then dang that man is quick.
Welp, it was bound to be discovered by multiple people on their own I guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom