• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Splatfest Discussion Thread: The Iron Lines and the Calcium Nines

Milo

Inkling
NNID
ValkyrieRT
Restricting the game mode when Splatfest is underway is retarded, just like a lot of other decisions in this game. Here I was wanting to play Tower Control and am now being forced to play Turf War. That's not good game design

Egregore

Splash Wall of China
NNID
NoGoodEndings
The game has no competitive future if the world is going to come to an end every time there's a Splatfest. Imagine trying to schedule clan wars during this.
Yeesh, overreacting a bit much? It's a single day event. It's not the end of the world that you can't play with your friends for 24 hours lmao. . .

missingno

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
he/him
NNID
missingno
Switch Friend Code
SW-6539-1393-3018
Made it to Dog Queen. Never found those perfect teammates, and while I was carrying for a while at the start I suffered a nasty losing streak later on, felt like I was on the receiving end of some rather stacked teams. And goddamn, too many worthless Inkbrush teammates, stop using it if you clearly don't know how. Still maintained >50% though, so it's a net gain for Team Dog.

Also I did manage to do this:

Dream21

Full Squid
I feel successful.
3vs4 was able to get 15 splats, no deaths, and win! Awesome teammates that game!
Then I had a 1vs3 actually almost won, but lost by 3%. Bomb rush is really useful.

I've only found a few people I really click with when playing, and I left those lobbies due to lag. Hoping to find a good team again.

I wish they'd give updates on who's in the lead if it's Dogs or Cats, and by how much. It's kind of bugging me not knowing.

YesI'mTaco34

Inkling Cadet
NNID
YesImTaco
i know people are a little tic off about only being able to play Turf war but come on people it's only for one day.And i pretty sure a one day event will have no impact on what so ever on the ''competitive future''

Superjustinbros

Pro Squid
NNID
AozoraJustin
>Gets Bomb Range Up on Splatfest Tee
>Ink Mines
Remind me when will Big N give some kind of enhancement to the Ink Mines (or any other Sub that isn't thrown) with Bomb Range Up.

Milo

Inkling
NNID
ValkyrieRT
Meanwhile I keep getting two teammates who are using Chargers and don't know how to use them

WaifuRaccoonBL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Why are they forcing us to play one game mode instead of allowing us to join friends as per usual? If they don't want friends teaming up during Splatfests, which is already a backwards notion that stifles strategic play, give us an option to play regular Turf War so we aren't arbitrarily restricted from playing with our friends whenever this happens. God forbid friends actually join each other and have proper teamwork. Not only is there no in-game voice chat, but they don't want friends joining each other because they're worried that the little kids will get destroyed. And yet you still believe that Nintendo wants this game to be competitive?
Strategic play be darned if it allows for an unfair advantage in what is suppose to be a simple fun day with one team against the other. Not everyone is gifted with friends. This isn't a tournament either. There is no need for beautifully orchestrated strategies.

This isn't about little kids being destroyed. It's about the unfair advantage.

Heck, I would be punished to. I'm not in the mood to play with friends, why do I have to suffer by not playing with one huh? I just want to enjoy myself and help team cat win, but I can't do that if the friends being able to join were a thing because I would get destroyed every time.

Wanna bet?
We don't even know how we would go about accessing it when comes out. I heard some people say it could be accessed by the coffee shop next to Spyke's alley that is currently inaccessible. That would detach it from everything.

With that said, I supposeI can't deny the possibility seeing how you can't change your shirt. But then again, custom rulesets are also a thing there which could bypass it.

The game has no competitive future if the world is going to come to an end every time there's a Splatfest. Imagine trying to schedule clan wars during this.
It would be easy to schedule either way considering they give a notice a week in advance that a splatfest will happen.

As for why not allow people to play regular turf war, because Splatfest is just completely superior. You get points for your rank which is then used for super sea snails, by doing good, you help out your team which if they win they get even more super sea snails. And because of this, the turf war lobbies would be empty. There would be no point.

missingno

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
he/him
NNID
missingno
Switch Friend Code
SW-6539-1393-3018
>Gets Bomb Range Up on Splatfest Tee
>Ink Mines
Remind me when will Big N give some kind of enhancement to the Ink Mines (or any other Sub that isn't thrown) with Bomb Range Up.
Hey, at least you didn't get three Damage Ups when you're running a Splash-o-matic.

SkyBlue

Inkling Commander
Hey, at least you didn't get three Damage Ups when you're running a Splash-o-matic.
why are you complaining? 1 def up makes the splash-o-matic need 5 shots instead of 4 to kill. Those 3 mini dmg ups ensure your 4hko'ing people.

also to why friends can't join, what if you picked cats and your friend dogs? the matchmaker would have to consistently put you against eachother, as weak of an argument as this is, it just might have been too much for the matchmaker to handle. Idk, I'd rather join friends in ranked tbh.

Milo

Inkling
NNID
ValkyrieRT
why are you complaining? 1 def up makes the splash-o-matic need 5 shots instead of 4 to kill. Those 3 mini dmg ups ensure your 4hko'ing people.

also to why friends can't join, what if you picked cats and your friend dogs? the matchmaker would have to consistently put you against eachother, as weak of an argument as this is, it just might have been too much for the matchmaker to handle. Idk, I'd rather join friends in ranked tbh.
It already does that

toadster101

Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-0022-0027-5937
Strategic play be darned if it allows for an unfair advantage in what is suppose to be a simple fun day with one team against the other. Not everyone is gifted with friends. This isn't a tournament either. There is no need for beautifully orchestrated strategies.

This isn't about little kids being destroyed. It's about the unfair advantage.
The word "unfair" is grossly overused. It's not an unfair advantage if everybody is capable of joining their friends. You not having friends or not wanting to play with your friends is not my problem. What isn't fair is not being able to play the game I spent $69.99 on with my friends because Nintendo thought it would be a good idea to temporarily remove entire game modes for absolutely no reason whatsoever.

Heck, I would be punished to. I'm not in the mood to play with friends, why do I have to suffer by not playing with one huh? I just want to enjoy myself and help team cat win, but I can't do that if the friends being able to join were a thing because I would get destroyed every time.
Why would you get destroyed every time? Why are you assuming that friends are always going to be on the same team? First people argued that the game didn't need voice chat. Now that the game is out and voice chat isn't a thing, those who use it suddenly have an "unfair advantage". How can the game be competitive if I can't communicate with people? It's nonsensical. For the sake of the discussion, I'll concede that friends shouldn't be able to join each other in Splatfest, but why forbid us from playing Turf War concurrently? More options are never a bad thing. Let people do as they please and nobody will get hurt.

We don't even know how we would go about accessing it when comes out. I heard some people say it could be accessed by the coffee shop next to Spyke's alley that is currently inaccessible. That would detach it from everything.
We don't know much right now, but it's reasonable to assume that friend rooms will be poorly implemented given how bad this game's netcode is.

As for why not allow people to play regular turf war, because Splatfest is just completely superior. You get points for your rank which is then used for super sea snails, by doing good, you help out your team which if they win they get even more super sea snails. And because of this, the turf war lobbies would be empty. There would be no point.
How is Splatfest "completely superior" if I can't join my friends? Don't bring opinions into this. The Turf War lobbies certainly wouldn't be empty; maybe people don't appreciate the darker maps. Maybe they don't want to feel pressured into performing well for their team. Or maybe they just want to play with their friends, since it's not like the game offers a deep single player component. These are all very legitimate concerns that you shouldn't downplay just because you personally don't care.

Marraphy

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Marraph
Does anyone know if the maps rotated during the Japanese splatfest a couple weeks ago?

Kiritora

Inkster Jr.
I had nearly an hour of a winning streak with pretty much the same group. I was topping nearly all of them with the Dynamo. Really wish I could've told those guys they were an awesome bunch. We really held them back in their bases!

I've made cat queen, but it's not over for me yet. I'll be back to represent felines later!

WaifuRaccoonBL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Why would you get destroyed every time? Why are you assuming that friends are always going to be on the same team? First people argued that the game didn't need voice chat. Now that the game is out and voice chat isn't a thing, those who use it suddenly have an "unfair advantage". How can the game be competitive if I can't communicate with people? It's nonsensical. For the sake of the discussion, I'll concede that friends shouldn't be able to join each other in Splatfest, but why forbid us from playing Turf War concurrently? More options are never a bad thing. Let people do as they please and nobody will get hurt.
First off, we are talking about splatfest. In turf war, I don't care if people are playing friends. If I'm playing turf war, it is about random fun. So if I get destroyed there, it's an "oh well" moment.

Turf war is a bad thing when the lobby is barely getting used.

maybe people don't appreciate the darker maps.
Prove this isn't a very small minority. You are the only person to mention it so far.

r maybe they just want to play with their friends, since it's not like the game offers a deep single player component. These are all very legitimate concerns that you shouldn't downplay just because you personally don't care.
The amount of people who want to play with friends are vastly, VASTLY outnumbered by the people who want to play randomly alone. This is why the lobbies would be emptied.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom