• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Splatoon 2: Find Out What's Fresh! (General Discussion)

What are you most excited about for Splatoon 2?

• New Weapons

Votes: 8 7.9%
  • New Stages

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • New Specials

Votes: 3 3.0%
  • New Character Customization Options

Votes: 16 15.8%
  • New Modes

Votes: 9 8.9%
  • The Return of Old Stuff (Stages, Weapons, etc.)

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • EVERYTHING!!!

Votes: 55 54.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Maave

Inkling Commander
Yesss these buffs are great. Point Sensor reeeaalllllly needed that ink regen buff. The sprinkler and squid beacon ink buffs are nice too. I know everybody is excited about the trislosher nerf but I'm more excited about the sub buffs since they're all support-style subs. They need the love.

Also
When talking to Murch, a player’s current money and Super Sea Snails will now be displayed in the upper right portion of the screen.
yuss

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
This is as good a place as any to ask, I'm looking for gear ideas. I've completed two outfits that perfectly fit my sniper support style (aka being obnoxious from the back) and now I have no idea what the heck to build towards now :P Any suggestions for a project would be greatly appreciated!

Spaceswitchmars

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
_funmars
Switch Friend Code
SW-0556-1305-6031
This is as good a place as any to ask, I'm looking for gear ideas. I've completed two outfits that perfectly fit my sniper support style (aka being obnoxious from the back) and now I have no idea what the heck to build towards now :p Any suggestions for a project would be greatly appreciated!

I'm really digging my splash-o-matic toxic-mist suit. All in all: 1 ninja squid, 2.6666 sub savers, .66666 ink saver main. .3333 sub power up. .3333 ink recovery up. I throw multiple toxic mists into an area then jump in and wreck some stuff. Considering swapping in more ink recovery up in place of other stuff, but I'll have to mess with it.

Something like this could work with the jet if you're down to get a little toxic.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
I'm really digging my splash-o-matic toxic-mist suit. All in all: 1 ninja squid, 2.6666 sub savers, .66666 ink saver main. .3333 sub power up. .3333 ink recovery up. I throw multiple toxic mists into an area then jump in and wreck some stuff. Considering swapping in more ink recovery up in place of other stuff, but I'll have to mess with it.

Something like this could work with the jet if you're down to get a little toxic.
Ehhh, Ink Saver Sub doesn't do enough to justify using it, in my opinion. I prefer Ink Recovery for that purpose. Also, no swim speed to counter Ninja Squid's movement penalty?

Saber

NNID
Saber
Switch Friend Code
SW-0369-4203-0233
This is as good a place as any to ask, I'm looking for gear ideas. I've completed two outfits that perfectly fit my sniper support style (aka being obnoxious from the back) and now I have no idea what the heck to build towards now :p Any suggestions for a project would be greatly appreciated!

Before I recommend It matters on what weapons you are planning on learning or using
I have a few I have posted that I have favor towards for some weapons in the signature down below.
But knowing what you want to learn would help a lot more toward suggestions.

Spaceswitchmars

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
_funmars
Switch Friend Code
SW-0556-1305-6031
Ehhh, Ink Saver Sub doesn't do enough to justify using it, in my opinion. I prefer Ink Recovery for that purpose. Also, no swim speed to counter Ninja Squid's movement penalty?
Honestly, for the jet, ninja squid is BS anyway so I'd just go another ink saver main or an ink recovery.

I used to do the swim speed counter for ninja squid, and I still do it for any weapon where I'm not using my sub a lot, but for the toxic mist built, there's just not room for it in the face of all of that good, good ink efficiency juice. Gotta make sure I have enough ink to finish these suckers off or ink for my pals so they can get in there and finish off those caught in my spiderweb-like mist trap.

Cyan

Inkling Commander
I'm definitely going to be less active on this game. I really need there to be more maps thrown in for Ranked to stay appealing, and too many times I get turned off by the game about an hour or 2 after turning it on. This new balance patch has been nice though, Ink Armor breaks as fast as it should for balance, Inkjet is more consistent to hit (not just having a crosshair on them and the shots miss), Baller is way better now, Sting Ray has seen a nice buff and Splashdown comes down slightly faster, and feels about right and Tri-Slosher is still good, but Splattershot, 52 and N-ZAP now stand a better chance at fighting them.

I have S+10 in Zones and Rainmaker (not that it means much) and will work towards S+10 in Tower (currently S+6), then will probably ditch Ranked. Between Europe being pretty poor in skill at S+ (excluding a few regular players and of course the competitive players, which leads to either ridiculously easy matches - either you stomp or get stomped) and the game resetting your number to 0 on deranks means going for 50 is both not worth it and meaningless, no show of skill whatsoever. Currently Level 44 as well, so almost at the end of that grind, so I will probably just hop on for Splatfests, weapon releases each weekend, balance patches and Salmon Run for gear. Once the map count increases to about 10-12+ I'll consider returning to more regular play. Really hoping for a 4th Ranked mode to turn up too to add more content to the regular multiplayer, because it really is just Splatoon 1 with different specials, subs, weapon balancing (with a few additional weapons) and abilities.

As for the Custom Jr., I have to say I really enjoyed playing it yesterday and had a fair amount of success with it. Way more appealing to play than the vanilla Jr. (never really liked using Bubbler as a crutch for the weapon in 1, used Jr. in this game one match and ditched it) and I had a very silly match with it during League Battles last night. I'll just leave this image as a humorous summary of my feelings of the weapon and why I enjoyed it so much. Have this niche "evidence" of it being a top-tier OP weapon :p :

Last edited:

Saber

NNID
Saber
Switch Friend Code
SW-0369-4203-0233
Don't want too lift hope too much but there is a possibly a new mode called (rocket) that has been datamined
..........................as well as the return of the possibility of playable ocotlings

All this on the head of rumored Nintendo Direct, after all the big announcements have been released.
Everyone want to get hyped again

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
I'll believe either when I see it.

But other than the rumored direct and October weapon update, I severely hope they update the motion controls while in handheld mode! I want to create my own "neutral" position instead of it's fixed default neutral.

the

Inkling Commander
Tried the jet squelcher earlier tonight. I've been interested longer-ranged shooters like the splattershot pro and squelcher ever since I started having fun with the splatling. The squelcher is REAL fun. I've been missing out, I love the way you can just spiderweb people with poison mist. Hopefully I can get good with this weap! I feel like I did okay, but that was just from a couple of turf matches on port mackerel, so... Not a reliable sample so far hah

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Tried the jet squelcher earlier tonight. I've been interested longer-ranged shooters like the splattershot pro and squelcher ever since I started having fun with the splatling. The squelcher is REAL fun. I've been missing out, I love the way you can just spiderweb people with poison mist. Hopefully I can get good with this weap! I feel like I did okay, but that was just from a couple of turf matches on port mackerel, so... Not a reliable sample so far hah
ANOTHER MEMBER OF THE BROTHERHOOD! ONE OF US! ONE OF US! ONE OF US! :D But seriously, glad to hear it! The Jet is a high-tier weapon in the meta these days, it's a fine choice and I'm sure you'll do great with it!

REYES

Inkster Jr.
Switch Friend Code
SW-4119-9070-0340
Ranged weapons are the best, keep using that Splatling too, it's such a satisfying weapon and really can push teams back with how much you can dish out so quickly. Try out the Dualie Squelchers as well, great range and the roll is useful like the others. Always cool to have another ranged fighter.

the

Inkling Commander
Oh wow ok so the official name for the disruptor replacement IS toxic mist! I had seen a few people calling it poison mist so i thought I had just been misremembering and looking like a fool, haha

But i just noticed it said "toxic mist" while in the gear menu... yes!! I'm NOT crazy!

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
It's referred to as both toxic mist and poison mist in-game, by descriptions and Judd and Sheldon. Bit of a writing goof.

Award

On a double post...
I am really enjoying the buffs, it make many weapons feel much more rewarding, tested the dynamo post patch and it feels a whole lot more rewarding plus stingray splatting a inkpack is so satisfying.
Baller just does't care anymore and with all the special up I have this thing tanks just about everything in it's attemp blow up.....it feels like it could be abused along with inkcloud in this upcoming meta....

Might make me like the tri-slosher meta feel a lot more...tolerable I really do enjoy this patch it feel like everything is capable of being used right now and rewards players for their skill overall in spite of a few slight problems this patch did a lot of good and made the game feel just more enjoyable to play.
Ohh, I didn't realize dynamo got improved? I was playing it just a few days before the buff and decided to settle on krak-on for my roller goodness. I'll have to give it another run. Tri-slosher is kind of likable now. STill too meta, but likable.

I have S+10 in Zones and Rainmaker (not that it means much) and will work towards S+10 in Tower (currently S+6), then will probably ditch Ranked. Between Europe being pretty poor in skill at S+ (excluding a few regular players and of course the competitive players, which leads to either ridiculously easy matches - either you stomp or get stomped)
First world Inkopolis problems. :P

Interesting what you said about the number resetting on a derank, I wasn't aware of that. But seriously, is it really so bad in Europe that players are not great in S+? I've heard such things here in NA, but I've heard that S+ is much like the lesser ranks, there's people really REALLY good for the rank, and people really BAD for the rank mixed together (how...just how is that possible in this game at S+? That part doesn't make sense since leagues can't carry friends anymore...) I've been avoiding ranked in general lately due to a mix of being too busy to focus properly on it, and generally getting frustrated with how bad the matchmaking is, so I went up to B and then just stopped, and played salmon run and experimented with weapons in TW :P

TW and salmon matchmaking is frustrating for other reasons, but at least I can't get violently salty at it like ranked :P

I'll believe either when I see it.

But other than the rumored direct and October weapon update, I severely hope they update the motion controls while in handheld mode! I want to create my own "neutral" position instead of it's fixed default neutral.
What's this about motion controls in a fixed neutral position? I hadn't noticed anything. I've been playing 90% handheld, with only occasional pro controller play. Honestly pro controller feels weird to me when I use it now and things on the screen seem too big, I'm used to my little viewfinder for chargers :P

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Interesting what you said about the number resetting on a derank, I wasn't aware of that. But seriously, is it really so bad in Europe that players are not great in S+? I've heard such things here in NA, but I've heard that S+ is much like the lesser ranks, there's people really REALLY good for the rank, and people really BAD for the rank mixed together (how...just how is that possible in this game at S+? That part doesn't make sense since leagues can't carry friends anymore...) I've been avoiding ranked in general lately due to a mix of being too busy to focus properly on it, and generally getting frustrated with how bad the matchmaking is, so I went up to B and then just stopped, and played salmon run and experimented with weapons in TW :p
The problem now is that it's far too easy to maintain rank. It takes 8 losses to rank down, but only 3-4 wins to pass the OK line and prevent that. Pretty much anyone who can win greater than 50% of their matches will get to S+ eventually as long as they keep playing regardless of their actual skill level, so S+ hardly matters anymore. S+ is filled with people who play a lot, not necessarily people of notably high skill. Add in that S+ number ranks rise and fall at the game's whim and have no factor in matchmaking, and a lot of folks aren't bothering with rank, you and me included. League's where it's at! :D

Ansible

Community Ambassador
What's this about motion controls in a fixed neutral position? I hadn't noticed anything. I've been playing 90% handheld, with only occasional pro controller play. Honestly pro controller feels weird to me when I use it now and things on the screen seem too big, I'm used to my little viewfinder for chargers :p
If you're lying on your belly or in an upright position, yeah, works fine. Anything else, not so much.

Otherwise if I'm lying on my side or my back, the inkling is staring upwards. If I play while standing, I have to either tilt my head forward or tilt the console upwards for my inkling to look straight ahead. Only way I can think of around that is turning on stick controls.

Award

The problem now is that it's far too easy to maintain rank. It takes 8 losses to rank down, but only 3-4 wins to pass the OK line and prevent that. Pretty much anyone who can win greater than 50% of their matches will get to S+ eventually as long as they keep playing regardless of their actual skill level, so S+ hardly matters anymore. S+ is filled with people who play a lot, not necessarily people of notably high skill. Add in that S+ number ranks rise and fall at the game's whim and have no factor in matchmaking, and a lot of folks aren't bothering with rank, you and me included. League's where it's at! :D
The way you describe it, it makes me almost want to play ranked :P That sounds a lot like the ladder system I talked and talked about 2 years ago that I wanted to see them implement, however ladders usually have ladder resets...that's kind of key to them functioning....that's the part Nintendo forgot... :rolleyes:

Though, resets aside, it's still skill based, or should be if it were not for the STILL disastrous matchmaking system (that seems to have actually become WORSE than Splatoon 1.) I'd say the ranking system concept is working fairly ideally. The goal of a rank should be to get into your sweet spot which should mean winning 50/50. If you lose more than you win you should either derank or stay in rank forever, and if you lose a lot more than you win you should be deranked. If you win more than you lose you should advance until you're around break-even. THAT part actually sounds spot on.

Where it falls apart is: Without ladder resets it doesn't account for changing skill, it should only be a snapshot of the recent period. And, because of the abysmal matchmaker, it's too easy to win/lose more than your actual skill accounts, promoting you unfairly, or keeping you in the same rank too long which creates imbalances which makes matchmaking even worse which makes the cycle repeat.

I wonder if it really does funnel people to S+ that easily? You make it tempting to try, and yet I recall shattered glass in C+ and B- a few times based purely on 20 game losing streaks with terrible teammates against "that one squid" on the other team that would get 25 kills in a game compared to everyone else's 0-7. That makes me less tempted to put up with it still. I swear the good players all play TW these days. Rounds without dropouts (which are few) have been really good lately. And why play ranked when there's leagues and salmon run? :D

OTOH, Salmon run is getting ugly too. On my main account almost all my teams were competent and it felt we were working as a team all the way up to Profreshunal. On my alt account in part-time, I was playing the other day and getting loss after loss almost back to trainee, mostly with everyone getting splatted in the first minute of wave 1, and nobody rescuing anyone. Perhaps the player base is getting noobier. :confused:

If you're lying on your belly or in an upright position, yeah, works fine. Anything else, not so much.

Otherwise if I'm lying on my side or my back, the inkling is staring upwards. If I play while standing, I have to either tilt my head forward or tilt the console upwards for my inkling to look straight ahead. Only way I can think of around that is turning on stick controls.
Hmm, I've played standing and sitting only. Haven't tried playing while laying down. That might be the ultimate in gaming laziness :P Do the regular controllers work in those positions? I thought hitting X recenters the gyro in whatever position you're in on all control modes.

Only on Nintendo Switch is "the controls don't properly detect my position when I'm upside down" an actual valid complaint! :P :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom