• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Splatoon 2: Find Out What's Fresh! (General Discussion)

What are you most excited about for Splatoon 2?

• New Weapons

Votes: 8 7.9%
  • New Stages

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • New Specials

Votes: 3 3.0%
  • New Character Customization Options

Votes: 16 15.8%
  • New Modes

Votes: 9 8.9%
  • The Return of Old Stuff (Stages, Weapons, etc.)

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • EVERYTHING!!!

Votes: 55 54.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
Hmm, what about a Kensa Boozler with Burst Bombs and Ink Storm?
cb5.gif

YES!! ♡

And also, what's up with the theme, honestly? Who celebrates Christmas and similar holidays with friends? It's a family thing, right?
I sometimes do. Not everyone has a family they want to be around, or a family at all, or can't make it to visit family for whatever reason. So they get embraced by their friends.

Me, sometimes there's little distinction:
giphy.gif

ϛ(°³°)/`

Inkling Commander
So let's talk about this new Ballpoint, shall we? I'm sure I've evangelized enough about the main weapon, but I've been struggling to make it work because of its kit. I wanted to abuse the low range mode's painting to maintain map control while also pressuring and poking at the opponents with the long range mode - effectively I'd be playing this as a mobile mid/backliner, but because of the inkjet I'd always find myself getting into sketchy situations.

With the new kit of Beakons and Ink Storm, I'd be able to play the main weapon as I wanted, but also keep pressure on the objective with the special and strategically place Beakons to provide safe jumps or to scope out sharkers with the location feature.

So let's talk abilities. @Metasepia convinced me to run more Run Speed perks, to a max of about 30 ability points. With about 30 points remaining, I was wavering between ~10 points of ISM, 3-6 for QSJ to escape bad situations, 0-3 for sub power to make my Beakons more appealing to teammates (if they bother to use them, which is why I'm hesitant), 3 points of Special Saver, possibly IR just to keep up the paint pressure. Honourable mentions go to Thermal Ink because of how slow the long range shot speed is, Ninja Squid to help space out people and make me harder to track when they get the jump on me (because I have remarkably poor map awareness), and Comeback to give boosts to mobility/efficiency/special charge after jumping back in with my Beakons.

Does anyone have feedback for the perk utility I've plotted out?

awedry

Full Squid
So let's talk about this new Ballpoint, shall we? I'm sure I've evangelized enough about the main weapon, but I've been struggling to make it work because of its kit. I wanted to abuse the low range mode's painting to maintain map control while also pressuring and poking at the opponents with the long range mode - effectively I'd be playing this as a mobile mid/backliner, but because of the inkjet I'd always find myself getting into sketchy situations.

With the new kit of Beakons and Ink Storm, I'd be able to play the main weapon as I wanted, but also keep pressure on the objective with the special and strategically place Beakons to provide safe jumps or to scope out sharkers with the location feature.

So let's talk abilities. @Metasepia convinced me to run more Run Speed perks, to a max of about 30 ability points. With about 30 points remaining, I was wavering between ~10 points of ISM, 3-6 for QSJ to escape bad situations, 0-3 for sub power to make my Beakons more appealing to teammates (if they bother to use them, which is why I'm hesitant), 3 points of Special Saver, possibly IR just to keep up the paint pressure. Honourable mentions go to Thermal Ink because of how slow the long range shot speed is, Ninja Squid to help space out people and make me harder to track when they get the jump on me (because I have remarkably poor map awareness), and Comeback to give boosts to mobility/efficiency/special charge after jumping back in with my Beakons.

Also looking forward to trying the new Ballpoint. I agree, the first kit was problematic and I found myself going back to other Splatlings. That said, I really liked the flexible role the weapon could play (especially in solo). The new kit is one that I'd always been hoping for on a Splatling! I'm probably going to try a similar loadout:

Run Speed Up 29 (three mains) - seems pretty much required for all Splatlings.
Special Charge Up 10 (one main) - not sure what Ink Storm will cost yet (my guess is 190-200p?) but this feels like a good idea. I might consider Tenacity or Special Saver instead, but the painting mode on the Ballpoint will make getting specials fairly easy so Special Charge feels like the right choice.
Ink Recovery Up 9 (one main) - helpful because the main weapon is fairly ink-hungry, also useful after placing Beakons. I like this better than Ink Saver Main since it works with both main and sub.
Quick Super Jump 6 (two subs) - for Beakons and getting back, but I might switch this out for Sub Power Up if I have a Beakon-savvy team.
Bomb Defense 3 (one sub) - for those pesky Inkjets and Tenta Missiles.

I've played Thermal Ink with some long-ranged weapons like the Hydra Splatling and Bloblobber. It can be helpful in tracking people who avoid your long-range shots if you can tag them once. In practice though, I usually find I've either already splatted the other person or it's too late and I've been splatted. I'll have to try Thermal Ink with the Ballpoint more to be sure, but it doesn't feel like it's worth the gear slot.

i understand your reasoning on Ninja Squid, but I might be hesitant to use the gear slot for this and suffer the speed penalty with a weapon that isn't very mobile due to the need to charge up. Maybe Swim Speed Up and Quick Super Jump are better for escaping? Thankfully on the Ballpoint, if you're flanked or surprised, the short-range mode can splat very quickly and easily than many other long-range weapons. Beakons can help spot flankers as you mention, but situational awareness is essential for playing Splatlings. I feel like I open the map all the time.

Looking forward to Wednesday night when the Ballpoint Nouveau drops!

~A.

Saber

NNID
Saber
Switch Friend Code
SW-0369-4203-0233

I would also recommend plotying out some idea for main power up gear as well, we have idea how it will affect heavy splatling
(Or it could buff something complete different but for right now I am asssuming it wil be a duration buff)
Have a longer burst will allow you to poke enemyies from a distance for longer period of time and overall guarnetee more kills
So I would recommend using in place of a sub power up (though sub up is great for beackons or trading a main of run speed for a more defensive role on maps that would noramlly favor chargers

Again this is assuming the buff remain the samw or improves the weapon ranged abilities in someother way

ϛ(°³°)/`

Inkling Commander
I would also recommend plotying out some idea for main power up gear as well, we have idea how it will affect heavy splatling
(Or it could buff something complete different but for right now I am asssuming it wil be a duration buff)
Have a longer burst will allow you to poke enemyies from a distance for longer period of time and overall guarnetee more kills
So I would recommend using in place of a sub power up (though sub up is great for beackons or trading a main of run speed for a more defensive role on maps that would noramlly favor chargers

Again this is assuming the buff remain the samw or improves the weapon ranged abilities in someother way
Ah yes, I forgot that MPU would be an ability soon. In my initial build above, I would be fine replacing a number of abilities, particularly Ink Recovery and potentially one main of Run Speed because two mains gives quite a buff as it is. I'm not convinced that all Splatlings will get the same effect from MPU; that would be surprising and disappointing on the part of the developers. On top of that, the Ballpoint doesn't really need duration on its shots because of its recharge mechanic, and if that was the effect, I wonder how the transition between stages would be affected. My initial guess is that if they bumped up the number of bullets per full charge, the number of bullets until the transition would stay the same (because this is unsurprisingly its own parameter; it takes 10 bullets in low-range before switching). If they adjusted THIS instead, we'd have a Ballpoint that stays in short-range longer and that would drastically affect the way it plays. -probably for the worse.

The Nautilus on the other hand would definitely benefit from the effect that the Heavy gets from MPU.

Ansible

Community Ambassador
Never really used the Ballpoint after the Nautilus showed up, but I guess I'll give the new one a proper try. Always wanted a beakon splatling since the first game and now I finally have one! I'll need a completely new loadout for it compared to the Naughty. Likely at least a main, and no more than a pure, of Sub-Power Up for starters.

Meanwhile, a look at some of the headgear we're getting near the end of this month:
Code:
https://twitter.com/SplatoonJP/status/1068430396742819840

I can never remember the name of the rope-headband, but I hope it has a nice ability!

MINKUKEL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I sometimes do. Not everyone has a family they want to be around, or a family at all, or can't make it to visit family for whatever reason. So they get embraced by their friends.
Sometimes, those you consider your family aren't necessarily those biologically related to you. "Family" has more than one interpretation.
Sure, sure. But those are exceptions to the rule. For most people these days are about family. As far as having a fest theme goes, it's just kind of bad, considering that popularity contributes to the overall result. I mean, how hard is it to think of a winter-appropriate theme that isn't going to be skewed in popularity?

MINKUKEL

Inkling Fleet Admiral

No idea about the kits yet, but here's the final few Kensa weapons.
There's three main weapons here I like so I'm pretty thrilled (depending on the kits, of course). Mini Splatling was actually the Kensa weapon I wanted most, so yay. And I guess it's good news for the three people who play the Gloogas.

Enperry

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
ssjplt
Switch Friend Code
SW-0405-1788-8108
  • Toni Kensa .52 Gal – Booyah Bomb / Splash Wall
  • Toni Kensa Splatling – Ultra Stamp / Poison Mist
  • Toni Kensa Glooga Dualies – Ink Armor / Fizzy Bomb
  • Toni Kensa Rapid Blaster – Baller / Torpedo
According to NintendoLife.

MINKUKEL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Hmmm...that's slightly dissapointing. I guess I'll just get the Kensa Rapid Blaster and the Custom Explosher and leave the other six at Sheldon's.

Cyan

Inkling Commander
https://splatoonus.tumblr.com/post/180790706357/this-evening-december-4th-the-4th-set-of-kensa

Yep, those 4 kits are indeed correct and accurate, and interestingly enough 2 of those (you could argue the 3rd) share kit ideas with Splatoon 1 weapons. We get a 52 Gal with Splash Walls again, but with a more useful special than Killer Wail (it was good on linear corridor maps, not as good on most others), the return of a Mini Splatling with Disruptor/Toxic Mist (they are similar in role, but Disruptor was significantly more powerful) and you could argue that the Rapid is somewhat along the lines of the original vanilla kit as Baller is a Bubbler/Kraken hybrid.

I'm so disappointed with the special they slapped on the Mini Splatling, but it was either that or the 52 Gal that got shafted, and to be honest I'm really happy with that 52 Gal kit, it should be rather useful for a mid/frontliner. Splash Walls enable it to be more aggressive, it has a good 2 shot kill and TTK, and Booyah Bomb is decent enough for clearing out an area for a few seconds. I don't really like Torpedo as a sub weapon, or the Fizzy Bomb for that matter, but giving Glooga Ink Armour is a good idea because it struggles in battles, but then again it has a Splash Wall kit already and it doesn't do a good job utilising it, so I expect similar benefits with Ink Armour. So for me I'm interested in the 52 Gal, disappointed with Mini's special and rather indifferent to the Glooga and Rapid, since one is not a very enjoyable weapon and the other has a useless sub imo but a decent enough special in Baller. We'll find out soon enough how well these final kits fit into the game, but it's so bizarre to add 2 new specials then only have them on 3 kits total.

ϛ(°³°)/`

Inkling Commander
Eeeeh I don’t see any reason for me to play those weapons. It does look like they remedied the Mini’s awkward kits and gave it a proper aggressive one though.

Last edited:

MindWanderer

Inkling Commander
NNID
MindWanderer
Switch Friend Code
SW-5961-6763-3987
A .52 with Splash Wall? A Rapid with Torpedo? Guess I'm getting back in the game!

Metasepia

Inkling Cadet
Balance patches are in, Stamp looks like it got a good buff and Nintendo seems to really hate the Splat charger and Stingray, huh.

Spaceswitchmars

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
_funmars
Switch Friend Code
SW-0556-1305-6031
All I want is to see what main power up does for everything, and Nintendo refuses to tell me. I promise I won't tell anyone else, Nintendo.

Enperry

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
ssjplt
Switch Friend Code
SW-0405-1788-8108
Glad to see Kensa and Annaki - previously favoring CB - are now MPU! Wow I had no idea RSU didn't apply to charging Splatlings 'till now. Weird.

Ansible

Community Ambassador
No bamboozler, no inkbrush mrgrgr!

Fine, I guess some new gloogas with some soda pop is a half decent compromise. Instead of rioting I'll just jeer and heckle. Now about these patch notes...

*skims patch notes*
Nuuuuu~!
My brellas, ellas ellas, eh eh eh!

If anyone needs me I'll be sulking under my brella collection.

Dewnose

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-1493-3741-2812
Heyy, I spy a Splashdown (and Baller but nobody cares) buff! They will now always KO brella shields. The Inkbrush grows ever stronger! *malicious laughter* What do you say to that, Ansible?

MINKUKEL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Wrong Sprinkler buff Nintendo. Nice try. but no.

Splashdown now doing 2.5x damage on the Baller is kind of interesting.

Other than that, I just want to know the effect of Main Power Up. I don't think I'll get to mess around with it until after Smash comes out but I'm just curious if there's any weapons I use that it'll be useful on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom