• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Splatoon 2: Find Out What's Fresh! (General Discussion)

What are you most excited about for Splatoon 2?

• New Weapons

Votes: 8 7.9%
  • New Stages

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • New Specials

Votes: 3 3.0%
  • New Character Customization Options

Votes: 16 15.8%
  • New Modes

Votes: 9 8.9%
  • The Return of Old Stuff (Stages, Weapons, etc.)

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • EVERYTHING!!!

Votes: 55 54.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ϛ(°³°)/`

Inkling Commander
Run speed didn’t affect charging mobility on Splatlings..? What? Something feels odd about that translation, but it looks like buffs all around for my favourite weapon class!

Metasepia

Inkling Cadet

The effects of main power up have been released, guess it sorta was damage up after all looking at all the weapons that got the effect.

Saber

NNID
Saber
Switch Friend Code
SW-0369-4203-0233
@Ansible
No worries it is just a counter to the buff, but I am scared of all main power up brellas

Squiffer slightly increases range
Eliter increased range
Squeezer dmg buff
.96 gal dmg buff

These will definately help make these weapon more viable
But the goo tuber dmg buff, I am just reminded of the S1 Eliter tapshot days....how about I 1 shot you with only a quarter charge now.....:confused:

Actually... wait a minute....where is my explosher?:scared:

Enperry

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
ssjplt
Switch Friend Code
SW-0405-1788-8108
Luna blaster "high damage radius of explosions" - does that mean directs?

Very strange that the Explosher isn't there...

Cephalobro

*Sees N'Zap getting more ink coverage* Booyah!! I have been waiting for some buff for the '85 to receive and that's a great buff for it to have.

ϛ(°³°)/`

Inkling Commander
Oh my god, these buffs are terrifying. One main of Main Power Up is enough to boost the Splatling damage per bullet to (what I assume is) its damage cap of 33.3. Three bullets is going to be enough to KO someone with even the slightest residual damage on them, from say, touching enemy ink on the ground? Say, from throwing a Cloud? Imma run this on my Ballpoint Nouveau build for sure.

This is reminiscent of stacking Damage Up on the S1 Rapid Blaster. I guess I’m all for it.

If my understanding of the game’s mechanics is worth a damn, the damage buff to the Splat Charger still will not make it KO with less than a full charge, but because the Goo Tuber is programmed to already achieve this, the damage buff on it will let it OHKO at even lower charges. Just like the pre-nerf snipers in Splatoon 1, stacking Main Power Up on the Goo Tuber will be the new mobile charger meta until they nerf it again.

It’s also nice to see that they’re listening to feedback a bit and they’re giving the E-Litre an avenue to regain its lost range from the first game. I wouldn’t say that the introduction of this ability is “game breaking”, but it’s definitely meta-shifting, in a lot of ways towards the way the first game worked, only without the Defence Up to counter the effects. This should be interesting, at least until we settle on a new meta.

Luna blaster "high damage radius of explosions" - does that mean directs?
The translation is a little weird, but I’d assume they increased the radius at which you can deal the maximum indirect damage.

Last edited:

Gameboy224

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Gameboy224
The increases from just one Main Power Up on some of the damage increasing ones it kind of gross. I dunno how harsh the diminishing return is, but already some of these weapon shot to another tier.

Splattershot Shot Pro jumps from doing 42 damage to 45.1. That enough to get it to break 90 damage in 2 hits.
L-3 jumps from doing 87 to 94.8 in 3 hits.
Splat Dualies from 90 to 95.4 in 3 hits.
Hydra scoots just the bit from 96 to 99.9 (honestly kind of okay with this one, Hydra really needed more to make it stand out. Ballpoint however did not need it).

A lot of these weapons seem like they could reach their cap easily. Which I really don't like. I liked having weapons fit solidly into their hits to kill margins. I wouldn't mind these damage increase stats if the scaling was a lot harsher and more difficult to achieve.

Glad all the Blasters just got jump RNG. Interesting to see that Squiffer, E-liter, and Squelcher got range buffs.

On a side note, has anybody figured out what the heck Main Power Up does on Slosher? It says "Increases maximum damage range." The damage itself is unchanged, doesn't increase range. Radius? It honestly doesn't seem like it does anything.

Last edited:

MINKUKEL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Some of these sound pretty good in theory (you never know how much they'll be worth in practice, though).
Range up on the Squiffer and Jet is nice. Damage up on Bamboozler sounds interesting. It's too bad I never have to grind for cash anymore. That'd be a good application of the 'Increases Ink Coverage' weapons. Not really sure what the Mini one means. Guess I'll have to try that some time.

Don't really see the point in increasing shot accuracy when jumping for Blasters though. Never had any problems in the air with the Range Blaster.

Coolkid

Inkling Cadet
everyone has those few weapons where they kinda struggle against..for me it are mainly blasters and rollers..so that roller buff kinda upsets me....

Dewnose

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-1493-3741-2812
@Gameboy224 I think that would mean it’s easier to get the full 70 damage with a slosh. But it doesn’t say that. It says “Increases maximum damage.”

@MINKUKEL True about blasters, but it’ll definitely help with my fave the Rapid.

Nutmeat

Pro Squid
Where/how are people getting specific number values for damage increases from Main Power Up?

BirdAndreo

Senior Squid
So bamboozler will have damage up? We haven't learn anything from last game uh?

LMAO WHAT? is this a fraud? eheh

Last edited:

ϛ(°³°)/`

Inkling Commander
Not really sure what the Mini one means. Guess I'll have to try that some time.
Splatlings have a parameter that tells the game how long the weapon can unload its volley for, for example the Ballpoint charges one ring in 50 frames, then it unloads one ring in 100 frames. Main Power Up increases that second number for the Mini, Heavy, and Nautilus.

Enperry

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
ssjplt
Switch Friend Code
SW-0405-1788-8108
So bamboozler will have damage up? We haven't learn anything from last game uh?

LMAO WHAT? is this a fraud? eheh
I did notice this earlier when I was playing, and this isn't fake. Do you guys think this was a mistake?

MissingNumbers

Inkling Commander
NNID
MissingN
Switch Friend Code
SW-4262-2166-2532
Is it just me or is the E-Liter with Main Power Up the only weapon that got an entirely negligible benefit? Range up on that thing could've been something else, but in practice, a full MPU loadout barely adds an arm's length.

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
I'm feelin rather whelmed and disappointed with this MPU. A lot of just damage up decisions instead of further uniqueness, like higher accuracy, or less ink consumption per roll, and such.

We'll see what further tinkering they'll do next month, I guess. *shrug*

Haven't had a chance to really test out the update as I was mainly Salmon Running with a friend finally on winter break--and wound up with only ONE mpu sub on the new gear. No MPU chunks. No MPU tickets. Harsh! =/

Heyy, I spy a Splashdown (and Baller but nobody cares) buff! They will now always KO brella shields. The Inkbrush grows ever stronger! *malicious laughter* What do you say to that, Ansible?
Brella! vs Inkbrush?! Monster! Having my babies fight one another!

I did notice this earlier when I was playing, and this isn't fake. Do you guys think this was a mistake?
Maybe? Or they're still "testing” the new ability? I hear the speed up for brushes is doing almost nothing as well.

But I'm mildly amused that Bamboozlers and GooTubers (and Squiffers?) could start showing up more frequently. Like that random Bamboozler in my turf lobbies last night with a main of MPU. Not sure if it actually did anything as they never hit me. *smug*

Gameboy224

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Gameboy224
If my understanding of the game’s mechanics is worth a damn, the damage buff to the Splat Charger still will not make it KO with less than a full charge, but because the Goo Tuber is programmed to already achieve this, the damage buff on it will let it OHKO at even lower charges. Just like the pre-nerf snipers in Splatoon 1, stacking Main Power Up on the Goo Tuber will be the new mobile charger meta until they nerf it again.
Yep, Splat Charger cannot KO without a full charge no matter what. But indeed the Goo Tuber is now able to KO at an even lower charge. With Three mains, I find it can KO as soon as basically 51%. Basically just over half charge.

MindWanderer

Inkling Commander
NNID
MindWanderer
Switch Friend Code
SW-5961-6763-3987
Where/how are people getting specific number values for damage increases from Main Power Up?
Echo. I don't see these on the linked tweet or on the wiki.

I'm definitely interested in seeing the numbers. I thought they'd learned their lesson about Damage Up, and I thought we'd be safe since meta weapons didn't seem to be getting it, but no, all the dualies and non-brush rollers are. Like that's what they really needed.

MINKUKEL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Splatlings have a parameter that tells the game how long the weapon can unload its volley for, for example the Ballpoint charges one ring in 50 frames, then it unloads one ring in 100 frames. Main Power Up increases that second number for the Mini, Heavy, and Nautilus.
So it's just the firing duration that's buffed?

Gameboy224

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Gameboy224
Echo. I don't see these on the linked tweet or on the wiki.

I'm definitely interested in seeing the numbers. I thought they'd learned their lesson about Damage Up, and I thought we'd be safe since meta weapons didn't seem to be getting it, but no, all the dualies and non-brush rollers are. Like that's what they really needed.
I found some gear with Main Power Up in the shop. Found a shoe last night, then a top and hat this morning. Then just started testing.

Also, besides Dynamo, it doesn't seem like the damage increase changes their kill range that much. At least with vertical flicks. Dynamo extends it by a 1/2 unit. Otherwise, any other rollers I used, the kill range really did not change much, like a step longer maybe. Even Flingza only has its vertical kill range increased by about 1/5 or 1/4 unit.

However, Splat Dualies become kind of gross since three mains makes it do 33.3 per hit. Other Dualies, not quite as much but still.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom