• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

Splatoon 2: Find Out What's Fresh! (General Discussion)

What are you most excited about for Splatoon 2?

• New Weapons

Votes: 8 7.9%
  • New Stages

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • New Specials

Votes: 3 3.0%
  • New Character Customization Options

Votes: 16 15.8%
  • New Modes

Votes: 9 8.9%
  • The Return of Old Stuff (Stages, Weapons, etc.)

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • EVERYTHING!!!

Votes: 55 54.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SquidKid85

Inkling Commander
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch Friend Code
SW-2518-9259-3787
I dunno if this is a good place to ask this, or if I should make a separate thread, but has anybody noticed yet how the special power-up ability affects the stingray?? I can't tell if it makes it stronger, or easier to aim, or something else entirely. Maybe extends the duration?
Lol, this is a General Discussion thread. It's perfectly fine to ask this here. If you want to make an entire thread for it, nothing's stopping you though.

I would think it either extends duration or does more damage per hit, but as I don't have the game, I've got no idea.

Reactions: the

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
I dunno if this is a good place to ask this, or if I should make a separate thread, but has anybody noticed yet how the special power-up ability affects the stingray?? I can't tell if it makes it stronger, or easier to aim, or something else entirely. Maybe extends the duration?
Yeah, it only extends duration. I just tested with 3 special power up mains, and that added about 2 seconds to the total time.

Reactions: the

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
I like how the Salmon Run gear's main ability is random, and you can keep getting it every 200 points. This gives incentive to keep playing even after you got all the rewards in hopes of getting the gear with the main ability you want.

Saber

NNID
Saber
Switch Friend Code
SW-0369-4203-0233
Does anyone got any recommendation on gear or the flinza roller or the octobrush

the

Inkling Commander
Does anyone got any recommendation on gear or the flinza roller or the octobrush
I'm just spitballing since I haven't played the new octobrush too much, but in splatoon 1 my octobrush set had a decent amount of ink saver main and ink recovery. That would probably be useful along with maybe some bomb defense, since damage/defense up are no longer available.

I also used ninja squid and swim speed up on two separate octobrush sets, and both worked pretty well for assassinating enemies.

Those are just some thoughts though. Trying to satisfy all of those would probably spread you too thin, so you should still try experimenting with gear, just keeping some of those in mind. Again, I'm no expert so sorry if this is pretty broad or basic advice.

ZEROrevive

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
ZEROrevive
Switch Friend Code
SW-0412-8620-8627
Hearing that the inkbrush drops tonight at 7 pm PT is just killing me. It looks like such a good set that reminds me of my permament inkbrush- less kraken, but splashdown will be a good punisher replacement. May be my go-to brush for offensive play....

Now I hope for a defensive styled inkbrush in the future...maybe with baller? Hm....

Saber

NNID
Saber
Switch Friend Code
SW-0369-4203-0233
THE SAB3R SLIDE WORKS!!!

By splatterdashing into a dodge roll you can fast fall and shift all you momentum into a totally different direction.

From what I've tested it work great for mixups while keeping a second dodge roll for mobility, giving minor ink resistance and help you get out of any attacks.

Inputs
Hold zl and begin normal splatterdash, and the the peak of the jump press at button and jump into any direction to boost your distance, or as mentioned shift momentum in another direction

Last edited:

Laskivi

Inkling
NNID
Laskivi
So, I'm new here. That Splatterdash thing sounds interesting. What is it?

Also, let me tell a little story. I have to tell somebody because I have no friends and I just experienced the best thing I've ever experienced in Splatoon:

So I was sitting at just rank B+ for Tower Control earlier this morning, like most people. But while I was in that rank... I was on point with my game or something, because I proceeded to rank all the way up ENTIRELY through knockouts, and only 1 loss. I thought "Cool, now I'll skip A- or something."

... As of early this morning, I am now rank S in Tower Control.

So, my mind blown, I looked for another match. Nothing. There was nobody. I tried again, and still nobody. Nobody in the world at S rank searching for a match at that time. But on the third try... there was ONE. A Japanese username, which I read as "Yotashi." Yotashi and I proceeded to look for many more matches, but we were the only two.

Suddenly, I got a friend request. Yotashi had gone out of his game, memorized my strange name in strange-to-him English characters, and typed my name to friend request me. I accepted, and we caught each other's drift. Laughing hysterically, I went back into Splatoon and looked for friends to join. Yotashi had started a Regular match and was waiting for me. I joined him.

First game, we were on the same team, and destroyed the other team. Second game, we were against each other, and he splatted me a few times and took the victory. Next game, we were against each other again, and I got back at him and won. All these matches were filled with hearty "Booyah" calls. Then, the ranked mode changed, ending our session. And that was that.

I have never had a more insanely funny and fun experience in Splatoon.

Had to get that off my chest, haha. I really, really don't want to brag (I hate being that guy), but I'm so excited and it's really odd to think that I'm one of the few people on the planet to have this rank right now. One of the first. As I'm typing this, it's later in the day, and I've only seen five more people looking for matches at S rank by now. I haven't been able to play a single one.

OctoBlooper27

Inkster Jr.
NNID
itsmemil
Im new hear and am loving splatoon 2 im am a veteran of spatoon 1 but my journey was ended short( not super short but the last year i didnt get to play 2016-2017) but i loved the original but getting into splatoon 2 i have questions. like;

where and how do you practice new weapons and classes your not familiar with cause ranked and regular play are so different and some guns do better in different environments?

How to buid gear sets what should they look like and how do you make sure you get what you want without using chunks every time?

What is a good way to earn lots of money?

tips for the inkjet special?

goods ways to improve your game?

Thanks!

D3RK

Semi-Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-6389-5985-3965 Username:「Derk」
So I just went and looked at my Salmon Run rewards and the shirt can have different main abilities. Wonder if this is bugged like the app also lol

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
@D3RK
Well unless SplatNet2 is having another item error, it looks like Annie's alternate clothing can have any allowable ability as well. You just have to wait long enough to find the one you want.
Screenshot_2017-07-23-00-53-18.png Screenshot_2017-07-23-00-53-29.png

@Laskivi,
Quick and easy way to explain the Splatdash/Raijin Step is shooting at or near your feet while popping in and out of the ink. Most weapons can do it, especially shooters, but splooshes and splashes are famous for it. Here's a good example from one of Hawk Seow's old videos.

@OctoBlooper27,
Best I can say, if you want to get better, you just play the game. Same if you want to get better at unfamiliar weapons. And a big part of both involves time, taking your lumps, and accepting your mistakes, setbacks, and defeats. Because if you were already awesome, you wouldn't need to bother learning in the first place! =p

But if you want to take it slow, there is always the test range for starters. And a few of the weapons can be used in the single player campaign. And the weapon you want to try may show up in the Salmon Run list of provided weapons. And there's the usual regular battle/turf war. And then there's rank to really test it. And if you can round up at least one other person, you can also try private battles and have them give you feedback. But overall, the best way to learn a new weapon or class is to actually go about using it. Find out what you can on your own. Look how others in the game are using. Then ask questions from others who use it or seen it used.

SquidKid85

Inkling Commander
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch Friend Code
SW-2518-9259-3787
So, I'm new here. That Splatterdash thing sounds interesting. What is it?

Also, let me tell a little story. I have to tell somebody because I have no friends and I just experienced the best thing I've ever experienced in Splatoon:

So I was sitting at just rank B+ for Tower Control earlier this morning, like most people. But while I was in that rank... I was on point with my game or something, because I proceeded to rank all the way up ENTIRELY through knockouts, and only 1 loss. I thought "Cool, now I'll skip A- or something."

... As of early this morning, I am now rank S in Tower Control.

So, my mind blown, I looked for another match. Nothing. There was nobody. I tried again, and still nobody. Nobody in the world at S rank searching for a match at that time. But on the third try... there was ONE. A Japanese username, which I read as "Yotashi." Yotashi and I proceeded to look for many more matches, but we were the only two.

Suddenly, I got a friend request. Yotashi had gone out of his game, memorized my strange name in strange-to-him English characters, and typed my name to friend request me. I accepted, and we caught each other's drift. Laughing hysterically, I went back into Splatoon and looked for friends to join. Yotashi had started a Regular match and was waiting for me. I joined him.

First game, we were on the same team, and destroyed the other team. Second game, we were against each other, and he splatted me a few times and took the victory. Next game, we were against each other again, and I got back at him and won. All these matches were filled with hearty "Booyah" calls. Then, the ranked mode changed, ending our session. And that was that.

I have never had a more insanely funny and fun experience in Splatoon.

Had to get that off my chest, haha. I really, really don't want to brag (I hate being that guy), but I'm so excited and it's really odd to think that I'm one of the few people on the planet to have this rank right now. One of the first. As I'm typing this, it's later in the day, and I've only seen five more people looking for matches at S rank by now. I haven't been able to play a single one.
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this because it reminded me of when I met, probably one of my best friends, in Splatoon. It was during the Night Owl vs Early Bird Splatfest, and it seemed like it'd be a regular Splatfest day. Or, in other words, my team would always win because I'm better than my level says I am, and as we all know the matchmaking during Splatfests tends to be a bit more even. So, add it all up, not only is my team winning, but I'm also getting plenty of splats.

Anyways, some random person named Pancake joins, and is on the Night Owl team, like me. At the time it was just a natural occurrence, one Inkling leaves, another takes his place. But then we started going on a winning streak and I noticed that Pancake and I were both just wrecking the place up and we had each other's back a few times. Our playstyles complemented each other so there was a lot of support between us and we basically knew what the other was trying to do, so we did our part in helping each other out. Whether it be by inking the other side of the map since one of us had the current side under control, or by helping each other out by splatting the other team so one of us could pressure an area.

Many "Booyah"s and 17-20 wins later, I had to leave for a meal. Get back on and I've got a friend request from Pancake. Naturally, I accepted, and we've been friends ever since.

OctoBlooper27

Inkster Jr.
NNID
itsmemil
@D3RK
Well unless SplatNet2 is having another item error, it looks like Annie's alternate clothing can have any allowable ability as well. You just have to wait long enough to find the one you want.
View attachment 5182 View attachment 5183

@Laskivi,
Quick and easy way to explain the Splatdash/Raijin Step is shooting at or near your feet while popping in and out of the ink. Most weapons can do it, especially shooters, but splooshes and splashes are famous for it. Here's a good example from one of Hawk Seow's old videos.

@OctoBlooper27,
Best I can say, if you want to get better, you just play the game. Same if you want to get better at unfamiliar weapons. And a big part of both involves time, taking your lumps, and accepting your mistakes, setbacks, and defeats. Because if you were already awesome, you wouldn't need to bother learning in the first place! =p

But if you want to take it slow, there is always the test range for starters. And a few of the weapons can be used in the single player campaign. And the weapon you want to try may show up in the Salmon Run list of provided weapons. And there's the usual regular battle/turf war. And then there's rank to really test it. And if you can round up at least one other person, you can also try private battles and have them give you feedback. But overall, the best way to learn a new weapon or class is to actually go about using it. Find out what you can on your own. Look how others in the game are using. Then ask questions from others who use it or seen it used.
I know but i was just wondering a way i could practice for rank and not be in ranked so i dont hinder my team. I also no how all the weapons worked i just liked using sloshers, shooters, splatlings in splatoon 1 i just wanted to try something different like a blaster or charger. Thanks for your help though.

ForteReborn

Inkling Commander
NNID
ForteReborn
Switch Friend Code
SW-5389-7346-0792
Since I had the vanilla inkbrush for a bit, here is my brief overview on it:

I love it. It feels fixed, and the special works well with it. I tried in on rank, and it easily kept up despite the weak swats. The bombs, and the splash down really help fix where you can come in and surprise people.

I put two main swims ups, and ink saver main to balance it out even more. Of course, splash zones are the best for rank with this brush, but I haven't experienced anything else with it besides the regular turf matches. So yes, I am sold on the loadout. The octobrush is next for me to try, which is my main in the original version, so gonna have some usage for that.

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
I know but i was just wondering a way i could practice for rank and not be in ranked so i dont hinder my team. I also no how all the weapons worked i just liked using sloshers, shooters, splatlings in splatoon 1 i just wanted to try something different like a blaster or charger. Thanks for your help though.
Safest way to play ranked mode is private battles. Good since the people you with can give you feedback and advice right then and there, especially when you can create a third party observer to watch/record your play. And if league battles really does freeze your rank (haven't tried it yet) that's a semi-safe alternative for rank play. Otherwise really the best way you can practice a weapon in ranked is to play a weapon in ranked.

Last edited:

the

Inkling Commander
Well, other than just jumping into ranked games at the lowest rank (you might not do too badly since it's C-!) you could also ask around the forum and get some people to do some practice ranked matches in a private battle room!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom