• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

Splatoon 2: Find Out What's Fresh! (General Discussion)

What are you most excited about for Splatoon 2?

• New Weapons

Votes: 8 7.9%
  • New Stages

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • New Specials

Votes: 3 3.0%
  • New Character Customization Options

Votes: 16 15.8%
  • New Modes

Votes: 9 8.9%
  • The Return of Old Stuff (Stages, Weapons, etc.)

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • EVERYTHING!!!

Votes: 55 54.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Vitezen

Inkling Cadet
How is the lag in this game? I ended up quttingthe original Splatoon, because when playing with Japanese players constantly, I couldn't get a consistent experience due to lag. Ranked was nothing but Japanese, and when lag is a huge factor, trying to improve is a nightmare. I'm completely fine picking up a Switch and getting started ASAP if the lag issue is gone. I love these games.

D3RK

Semi-Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-6389-5985-3965 Username:「Derk」
99% of my matches are against english names as it tries to match you with people closer to you. I think I've only seen 1 or 2 Japanese players in ranked so far. There still seems to be the issue of instant death from weapons that are multi-hit but it's uncommon now and I have not had any issues with dying to rollers 5 feet away lol. Overall the connection feels a lot better in general.

ZEROrevive

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
ZEROrevive
Switch Friend Code
SW-0412-8620-8627
99% of my matches are against english names as it tries to match you with people closer to you. I think I've only seen 1 or 2 Japanese players in ranked so far. There still seems to be the issue of instant death from weapons that are multi-hit but it's uncommon now and I have not had any issues with dying to rollers 5 feet away lol. Overall the connection feels a lot better in general.
Pretty much this. I used to get some bad lag half the time with the infamous "Enemy splats you, but in reality, you splatted him first- only AFTER he splatted you!"...basically enemy gets a free shot on you regardless of the fact that you splatted him/her first. And as a Brush/roller user- it was the vain of my existence.

And thank the almighty Krakken- I have only experienced this maybe once. MAYBE. I'm not even sure. That's how rare it is.

I still get some connection errors though...and I've been penalized for it 3 times already (have to wait 5 minutes before you can go back online)....but I blame my spotty ISP. Which, I will be getting changed out soon.

ZEROrevive

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
ZEROrevive
Switch Friend Code
SW-0412-8620-8627
NOW IT TIME TO GET WOOMY
Jump up, roll it back there yo, burst bomb 2 times, right roller shoot up, left roller shoot up... swim away real smooth... OHHHH NGYHES
This sounds like the type of nonsense lyrics I'd hear in Eurobeat.....

It's perfect. It's great. It's...INITAL D(ualies)!

I will play Eurobeat music on my next rounds with the Duealies. Thank you very much, hahah!

Kirby Phelps (PK)

Full Squid
NNID
PKGaming
I have two questions for you guys:
1. What do Power Eggs do in Salmon Run? The Golden Eggs are what get you the rewards, right? So what do the Power Eggs do?
2. How does ranking up work in Ranked Mode? I just reached level 10 and started some ranked matches. I make progress pretty slowly, but noticed that whenever I lose, I no longer lose progress on my rank, but the glass starts cracking. What does that mean? What'll happen when it keeps cracking?

OctoBlooper27

Inkster Jr.
NNID
itsmemil
I have two questions for you guys:
1. What do Power Eggs do in Salmon Run? The Golden Eggs are what get you the rewards, right? So what do the Power Eggs do?
2. How does ranking up work in Ranked Mode? I just reached level 10 and started some ranked matches. I make progress pretty slowly, but noticed that whenever I lose, I no longer lose progress on my rank, but the glass starts cracking. What does that mean? What'll happen when it keeps cracking?
when glass shatters you will lose your points or go down a whole rank.

the

Inkling Commander
Anybody have tips on how to use the charger's held-charge feature? I'm finding it.... not super useful, tbh. I dunno what kinds of situations really call for it when swimming through your ink and then charging feels faster (and it seems like in addition to painting a target on you while you have your charge, you also swim a little slower?). Any advice would be appreciated!

ZEROrevive

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
ZEROrevive
Switch Friend Code
SW-0412-8620-8627
I'll just say this: the sight of dozens of Salmonids popping up out of nowhere from the thick fog is one of the most oddly disturbing things I've seen in a video game. Must be those demented eyes of theirs.
The music certainly helps with spooky mood too, I will say that much. They did a great job at making the music add more tension to the moment.

Saber

NNID
Saber
Switch Friend Code
SW-0369-4203-0233
@the
Charge keep is very useful for just holding a charge held into battle or when you are getting rushed/ flanks since you can hold the charge get back and then snipe the enemy from a safer distance.
Also it opens up the charger dodge roll as @Ansible mentioned

Laskivi

Inkling
NNID
Laskivi
So, after my big story about getting to S rank in Tower Control, there are enough people now to form matches, and... it's incredibly difficult. I feel like I'm weighing my team down every game, and I'm just barely hanging on to the rank. I've played Splatoon 1 since release day, and I got to S rank then; but since then I've lost my proficiency. Not only that, but I never actually looked up any strategy guides or sought advice from anywhere. I've always been playing on pure experience and intuition, and it hasn't let me down until now, haha. Anybody know a good place for general advice, or does anybody have some good general advice for me now? Or maybe even for tower control specifically?

shudder

Senior Squid
How is the lag in this game? I ended up quttingthe original Splatoon, because when playing with Japanese players constantly, I couldn't get a consistent experience due to lag. Ranked was nothing but Japanese, and when lag is a huge factor, trying to improve is a nightmare. I'm completely fine picking up a Switch and getting started ASAP if the lag issue is gone. I love these games.
It's still bad. Seems like it's the same netcode, settings or whatever. The only difference is it's regional and ping based for the most part. Really discouraging honestly especially with Nintendo charging for online play in 2018. What's weird is in the testfire and splatfest the lag seemed very minimal, and turf war also seems somewhat lag free, but once you get to ranked matches it's the same lag issues from the first game from my experiences, lots of one hit kills, players moving faster than should be possible, etc.

What annoys me is Nintendo pushing the competitive aspects of the game, making a great sequel from what I've played with nice changes and additions but then keeping the same bad netcode, just covering it up with regional play.

Vitezen

Inkling Cadet
@Laskivi It's tough to give generic advice. The first step to improvement is to identify what exactly it is you want to improve. Even for something like tower control, your strategy and options will vary based on the map, the weapon you have, the gear you have, the weapons and gear your teammates have, the weapons and gear your opponents have, your own strengths and weaknesses, and the strengths and weaknesses of your team and your opponents.
If you don't have anything specific in mind, the best way is to start by identifying something that you HATE when your teammates do. Then make sure you're not doing it yourself.

Kirby Phelps (PK)

Full Squid
NNID
PKGaming
Hey, how exactly do the amiibo work? I was told to scan them and each day, they'd give me new gear. I got the headgear the first time, but whenever I try again, they just give me the options to take a picture.

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
@the
Charge keep is very useful for just holding a charge held into battle or when you are getting rushed/ flanks since you can hold the charge get back and then snipe the enemy from a safer distance.
Also it opens up the charger dodge roll as @Ansible mentioned
Yeah, makes me wish I had a capture card—saves me the trouble of wanting to bug others for help.

After playing around a bit more it turns out the dodge roll is in the end animation to when you pop out of your ink with a full charge. So it's full charge, swim, roll out of ink. When rolling out of ink there's a bit of delay until you can fire. But it's possible to hold a full charge over longer distances by just briefly swimming, pop out of ink, swim a lil more, pop out of ink, swim a lil further—repeat ad nauseam.

However, the animation to just perform the short roll has much less delay. And while performing the roll you're not only free to aim wherever you choose, but your targeting laser temporarily disappears! :scared: Also, while in mid-roll, if you let go of the ZR/fire button you'll automatically shoot wherever you're aiming once you stop rolling.

IsmaR

was tentacles all along
Super Moderator
Hey, how exactly do the amiibo work? I was told to scan them and each day, they'd give me new gear. I got the headgear the first time, but whenever I try again, they just give me the options to take a picture.
Each amiibo gives you gear based on your multiplayer level. Once you get past level 8, they'll give you shirts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom