Splatoon 2: Find Out What's Fresh! (General Discussion)

What are you most excited about for Splatoon 2?

• New Weapons

Votes: 8 7.9%
  • New Stages

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • New Specials

Votes: 3 3.0%
  • New Character Customization Options

Votes: 16 15.8%
  • New Modes

Votes: 9 8.9%
  • The Return of Old Stuff (Stages, Weapons, etc.)

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • EVERYTHING!!!

Votes: 55 54.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

the

Inkling Commander
Yeah, beacons seem REALLY useless. Everything you said here makes them kind of weak. Granted, all the old maps are coming back so the hiding places will return, but with these new maps in the mix it still negates a lot of chances to use them. I was a HUUUGE beacon user in S1 even before beacons were cool, with the eliters. I ran an SJ build (thus the strawboater hat in the pic) and would jump from beacon to beacon to spawn constantly. Just trying to jump TO my beacons is so annoying in this game it seems useless on the map. I wish they'd implemented "press Y, hold left trigger, to bring up beacon navigation menu" so you could use beacons like jumping to teammates but you have to hold trigger to toggle between team/beacon list on the dpad.

Between huge ink consumption, slow usage to jump to them, and high likelihood someone takes them out, it's just best to pretend your weapon has no sub. If custom eliter has beacons again I'm going to be furious. Mines or beacon...it's like eliters get no sub at all.

Sprinklers at least have an opportunity cost. It eats 80% of your ink tank, but it denies enemy territory, draws enemy fire, and charges your special meter. Beacons just sit there to get shot at.
Yeah beakons were really fun in splat 1. In turf war and splatzones in camp triggerfish my team could often lock down the center of the map because I could jump back and forth across the gap with beakons, in places the enemy team had trouble getting to.

Also yeah, beakons were great on the custom e-liter (especially with the kraken, because you could jump up back to your perch when you finished your assault). I'm hoping for an eliter with sprinkler or suction bombs.

Yeah, but even when I'm not using a beakon or sprinkler weapon, I'm still trying to find some decent places they can go. Because even with maps being as they are and players being more combat focused, those two subs can get quickly ignored in some instances. At least for the time being.

For example Sturgeon Shipyard in nearly any mode. At mid you can toss the sprinkler atop the pendulum swinging sign or the raising drawbridge(?) on their side. Destroying it risks putting you in a vulnerable position. And how often does anyone bother with the underside of mid rather than the more inkable topside?

But still that ink consumption though...
Honestly I think sturgeon shipyard is the most splatoon-1-ish of the new maps. It offers a decent amount of cover while still having some open areas, and it also has relatively safe side-passageways to mid. I've definitely found good use for sprinklers and beakons there (especially that pendulum lol).

Last edited:

SquidKid85

Inkling Commander
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch Friend Code
SW-2518-9259-3787
The updates are actually really small and quick. Nothing like the agonizing process of installing and patching a AAA game on PS3, for instance.
Well that's good news. (Then again, I did buy Splatoon literally 3 months before the last Splatfest, there were a LOT of things that had to be downloaded...)

Saber

NNID
Saber
Switch Friend Code
SW-0369-4203-0233
@Ansible
Charge roll is so ridiculous on the squiffer, though a bug it fits how the squifer style, was barrel rolling out of shots and sniping people up close....
Also squiffer still at the bottom of the range goo tuber has less than a quarter of a boost in range,

Overall I do feel mobility and redrawn punisher are great on the squiffer, making you hard to kill, but a priority unless you want to wait the extra spawn time.
Just keep in mind not to get too aggro or else you will have to deal with no way out due to it's support based kit

Hero of Lime

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Link643
Switch Friend Code
SW-5339-5185-8796.
Seriously guys, I can't wait to finally get Splatoon 2 and get to sit and wait for all these updates to download onto the game before I get to play. It will be so riveting.
Oh yeah, the Switch's download speeds are a real dream. The Wii U was never too bad either, but as someone with a PS4 and Xbox One, those two take forever to download stuff. Especially the Xbox One, we're talking several hours to install one game or update itself. Thankfully, there's nothing on Xbox One really so I don't have to use it much anymore. :p

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
@Saber,

You've just made me wa~ay to excited for the squiffer than I should be! Now I gotta really improve on my aim if I wind up using a squiffer on the regular.

Sabeta

Inkster Jr.
In case it wasn't mentioned, (I skim these boards) Squid Beakon has one nice use. If you have Sub Power Up then the Beakon gainst Quick Super Jump towards it. A very welcome boon in some situations. It hardly makes it more valid than other good Subs, but there's a niche for it your weapon happens to be stuck with it.

That said I've finally decided on my Dualie Build.
* 21 Points Ink Saver (Main)
* 26 Points Swim Speed Up
* 10 Points Object Shredder

So here's my thought process. I don't want more than 3 abilities anyway since most skills don't have noticable gains until around 20 points anyway (right around the same time diminishing returns hits) Object Shredder is important for Dualies i feel since it lets Ink Armor be broken in one hit, as well as Sprinklers and Beakons. It also reduces the hits it takes to pop Bubbler and the Rainmaker. It will probably affect the Bubble Blower as well.

Since I'm using Splat Dualies I don't feel a need for Ink Saver Sub, but Special Charge Up is a worthwhile skill for the Tenta missles. In the end I decided against it since it's a percentage based skill and Missiles already have a low cost. SSU and ISM are just too valuable, and taking 6-9 points in any other skill doesn't seem necessary. Depending on things, I might trade those 6 points for more ISM, especially if I decide to use a Brush.

Thoughts, comments, concerns, criticisms?

Nonsequiter, but as a Trans the recent positivity flowing the Miiverse really made my day. It's a shame so many people are fighting about such a strong and kind message.

the

Inkling Commander
In case it wasn't mentioned, (I skim these boards) Squid Beakon has one nice use. If you have Sub Power Up then the Beakon gainst Quick Super Jump towards it. A very welcome boon in some situations. It hardly makes it more valid than other good Subs, but there's a niche for it your weapon happens to be stuck with it.

So here's my thought process. I don't want more than 3 abilities anyway since most skills don't have noticable gains until around 20 points anyway (right around the same time diminishing returns hits) Object Shredder is important for Dualies i feel since it lets Ink Armor be broken in one hit, as well as Sprinklers and Beakons. It also reduces the hits it takes to pop Bubbler and the Rainmaker. It will probably affect the Bubble Blower as well.

Since I'm using Splat Dualies I don't feel a need for Ink Saver Sub, but Special Charge Up is a worthwhile skill for the Tenta missles. In the end I decided against it since it's a percentage based skill and Missiles already have a low cost. SSU and ISM are just too valuable, and taking 6-9 points in any other skill doesn't seem necessary. Depending on things, I might trade those 6 points for more ISM, especially if I decide to use a Brush.

Nonsequiter, but as a Trans the recent positivity flowing the Miiverse really made my day. It's a shame so many people are fighting about such a strong and kind message.
Oooh, then maybe I should be investing in sub power up more than quick super jump.... A lot of weapons, current and future, that I plan on using have beakons as sub weaps.... It's a buff for myself and my team! Now I wonder if a bunch of sub power up on a beakon stacks with a teammate's quick super jump....? Ludicrously fast splashdowns could be a real treat.....
:3c

Also, yeah the fact that the new miiverse meme is trans/LGBT+ positivity made me real happy!

Dog King

Full Squid
This just in, Tri Slosher has been nerfed! It's slosher now do 62 damage instead of 70! Hey, it's something.

Spaceswitchmars

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
_funmars
Switch Friend Code
SW-0556-1305-6031

First and foremost, I smile every time I jump into the plaza and see so many Trans-positive messages. It's up to everyone to report the few hateful counter posts on there.

Second, I agree with sticking to three abilities if possible. A lot of people advocate for a master of none approach to abilities due to diminishing returns, but even though the percentage of ability increase diminishes, that doesn't always mean the impact diminishes. Sometimes that's the case, but not always. I believe in specializing in abilities that enhance your desired playstyle. I always go with ink saver main, swim speed and ink recovery. I'll sometimes sub swim speed or thermal ink in place of swim speed. But the goal is always three abilities only... even if I'm still grinding shards toward that dream.

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
Do we know if the ability drinks either stack with branding or does it override them? Doesn't feel like the former is the case, so what I thought would be a good idea (being to use a drink on gear with the same ability affinity for easy triples) may actually just be a waste.

Saber

NNID
Saber
Switch Friend Code
SW-0369-4203-0233
@Lonely_Dolphin
I have had some weird effects on the drinks, I had sub defense up and ended up with this
:ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_runspeed::ability_runspeed: on my aviator, from what it seems is you win a battle you have a higher chance of getting the ability drink.
But losing and then winning have a varied effect and could result in the same or the favored ability for that set.

(This is just a theory but that has been my experience with the ability drinks for now)

Green Waffles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Yeah, just a curious aside: why are there so many trans gender posts on splatoon2 anyways?

I don't follow news much, so it's very out of the blue for me,
and I haven't a clue as to how it's related to splatoon .-. (but I suppose this is memeboard with game included, so I guess no one needs any reason to post anything )

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Yeah, just a curious aside: why are there so many trans gender posts on splatoon2 anyways?

I don't follow news much, so it's very out of the blue for me,
and I haven't a clue as to how it's related to splatoon .-. (but I suppose this is memeboard with game included, so I guess no one needs any reason to post anything )
It's the latest trend, as these things go, and it's a positive one, so wahey!

Danku

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-6239-2879-4288
I sorta skimmed through this thread (cos i saw how active it was and I felt left out ;~; ) but I need to ask...
Is anyone else mentally exhausted with how slow the content trickle has been so far?

So, we have assets on improved versions of Blackbelly Skatepark and Kelp Dome, as well as that map that takes place under the train track, a map that's on that big ol pirate ship, as well as codenames "Line" and "Tunnel" for maps in development. As well as multiple new weapons such as Glooga Dualies, Light and Dark Tetra Dualies, Squeezer, etc, AND all the previously returning weapons that havent been added yet (Range Blaster, Rapid Blaster Pro, Hydra Splatling, Sloshing Machine, and more).

There's so much STUFF that they could add, but they insist on a single weapon coming out per week and that's it. Not 2 weapons, or 3. No maps after almost a month after release (next update will be in 6 days, which will officially be a month after release). They could finally start adding new maps to the small handful we had at launch, they could amp up the weapon release schedule cos they REALLY don't need to trickle this slowly to meet that "1 year of updates" promise they said in the direct, aaaaanything other than the current schedule for content updates they have going on at the moment.

Last edited:

Spaceswitchmars

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
_funmars
Switch Friend Code
SW-0556-1305-6031
I sorta skimmed through this thread (cos i saw how active it was and I felt left out ;~;) but I need to ask...
Is anyone else mentally exhausted with how slow the content trickle has been so far?

There's so much STUFF that they could add, but they insist on a single weapon coming out per week and that's it. Not 2 weapons, or 3. No maps after almost a month after release (next update will be in 6 days, which will officially be a month after release). They could finally start adding new maps to the small handful we had at launch, they could amp up the weapon release schedule cos they REALLY don't need to trickle this slowly to meet that "1 year of updates" promise they said in the direct, aaaaanything other than the current schedule for content updates they have going on at the moment.
Yes, yes, yes, yes. So, I didn't mind that all the vanilla versions of the original guns from S1 weren't available from the start... I didn't mind at first. But that's only because I thought the weapon drops would be more frequent. Knowing that I'm going to have to wait anywhere between another week (not so bad) to another few months (very bad) for the gun I want is maddening. Now I've totally flipped on my initial, measured opinion -- the vanilla versions of guns from S1 should have been there from the start. That, even more than new maps, is what I find annoying.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom