Splatoon 2: Find Out What's Fresh! (General Discussion)

What are you most excited about for Splatoon 2?

• New Weapons

Votes: 8 7.9%
  • New Stages

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • New Specials

Votes: 3 3.0%
  • New Character Customization Options

Votes: 16 15.8%
  • New Modes

Votes: 9 8.9%
  • The Return of Old Stuff (Stages, Weapons, etc.)

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • EVERYTHING!!!

Votes: 55 54.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Cyan

Inkling Commander
New stage, new special (and weapon technically), new Salmon Run arena! Finally, some new content!
Based on the wording around Salmon Run's new map seen here:

It would imply that we'll be seeing a game update dropping tomorrow, so hopefully this'll bring a large balance patch to hit Rapid Blasters, Inkjets, Ink Armor, Tri-Slosher etc. and stop the game being so stale with the abundance of people sticking to these weapons and refusing to play anything else. I mean how does one play nothing but Tri-Slosher every day every match and not get bored? I have a few weapons I use more than others (Splattershot & Splattershot Pro), but I like to mess with other weapons just for fun and less serious play in Ranked (Flingza Roller, Clash Blaster, Sploosh etc.). I don't really think there's anything in getting S+50, I'm S+ in all modes and that's enough, I just find it more interesting swapping around weapons and seeing how I fare with them, and using my mains when the time feels right. I don't feel like the numbers do anything asides from firmly locking you into S+ forever, as deranks just knock one number off your rank.

I'm hoping that Splash gets a big buff in this update, because the devs really weren't too aware of balancing issues when they made the weapons and kits, as Splat Dualies have more range, better mobility and can paint just as well as Splash and it really makes the Splash's niche even more worthless (knocking the range buff off Splash was unnecessary). Neo Splash should alleviate some issues, but then again Splat Dualies have Burst Bombs too, so both Dualies step on the Splash in one way or another.

On the topic of the Bubble Blower I'm looking forward to the Forge Splattershot Pro. I just had a gut feeling the Splattershot Pro would be the first of the Bubble Blower weapons to release, and I'm pretty happy that it's one of the weapons I was maining, now with a more aggressive sub weapon than Point Sensors (and probably less white ink too, Suctions definitely feel like they have less white ink than sensors) and an intriguing special. I don't think Bubble Blower will be OP or amazing, but it'll be great for taking Splat Zones back with the explosions and good distractions for the enemy team as they have to prevent your team from popping them, so they can provide good cover for a push or flank (or combined with Splashdown or Sting Ray for maximum mayhem). We'll see how Bubble Blower fares come September.

TL;DR: High probability of balance update tomorrow, good to counter stale meta, fix weaker weapons, fix Inkjet and Ink Armor from being too dominant, Forge releasing as first Bubble Blower is hype, hopefully a new main weapon of mine in September.

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
Yeah might still be too early for anything aside from the Stingray buff they promised awhile ago, but who knows maybe the Splatoon devs work real fast... ha if only!

Spaceswitchmars

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
_funmars
Switch Friend Code
SW-0556-1305-6031
I wouldnt hold m breath for balancing patches until September.
Not sure if this is posted elsewhere, but balancing patches are coming tomorrow:

(Edit, that was linking weird, so just use this: https://t.co/tnoBWiLXwa )

All buffs and no nerfs. Nerfs will probably be next month, I think.

ForteReborn

Inkling Commander
NNID
ForteReborn
Switch Friend Code
SW-5389-7346-0792
I didn't know tri-slosher was overpowered. It was my most used weapon in the last game, but since everything was slightly nerf, I guess the tri-slosher had overwhelming potential with the stake of ink armor as it's special. (Been using my splat brella lately, so I didn't get wind of the complaints till later.)

Now I HATE the rate of rapid blasters. I seen too many just camp with it, using no tactic to go around as they rely on the gimmick of how much the blaster itself produces. It annoys me, and seeing people not wisely optimizing their skills while stationing themselves for just easy kills.

I am also waiting for the bamboozler series to come back. I am really dying for them, they were one of my favorite weak weapons that felt fun to get creative with the challenge of using your wits.

IHaveAToaster

Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-4526-2274-0616
New stage, new special (and weapon technically), new Salmon Run arena! Finally, some new content!
2 new maps AND one of my mains from the first game got a confirmed release date!? Man, I am so hyped right now!

Not sure if this is posted elsewhere, but balancing patches are coming tomorrow:

Actually, there is one nerf: the Dualies had their points required to fill the special gauge increased to 200p.

Danku

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-6239-2879-4288
Ah...so all buffs this update. I'm hype that my Sploosh and Heavy Splatling got speed buffs! ........now...why is the Mini still so slow?! AAAA! Fix it!

I guess Ink Armor, Rapid Blaster, Tri-Slosher, and Octobrush are getting the nerf hammer NEXT patch.

Danku

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-6239-2879-4288
Also holy cow, Baller got buffed. Now it's actually gonna feel useful, no way. Exciting buffs this time around for sure. Clash Blaster getting increased coverage was on my wishlist of buffs, so I'm glad that came true.

Cyan

Inkling Commander
http://www.nintendo.com.au/news/splatoon-2-software-update-23rd-august-2017

Just going to post the notes from the Australian site as they seem slightly easier to read than those images. RIP Splash-o-Matic, outranged by Dualies only to get a further range disadvantage and nothing in return, this weapon isn't going to see the light of day for some time now.

In a way this is the most redundant patch for the most part, they left the Rapid, Tri-Slosher and Octobrush all untouched, and they will be spammed just as much as they are now. Baller getting slightly better resistance against Splatlings and shooters is nice, but won't magically make that special good. The rest of the buffs are either to weapons no-one is using because of the meta weapons, or they just have no range and no real options to counter most weapons currently.

On a side note, who ever thought we'd see the day a Dynamo needs a buff to make it viable? :P

Spaceswitchmars

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
_funmars
Switch Friend Code
SW-0556-1305-6031
Actually, there is one nerf: the Dualies had their points required to fill the special gauge increased to 200p.
I took it as more of a trade-off because they extended the range by 9%.

Editing this in so I don't spam the thread, but I found playing with some longer range weapons showed how weapons like the tri-slosher aren't as overpowered as people think. There are hard counters to most weapons that even out the playing field. In many cases, people aren't picking those counters because... why? I dunno. Maybe because they don't have ink armor or maybe for some other reason.

The diversity should be there. Balance should be there. Maybe it's because longer range weapons have a higher learning curve. I don't know. When I pick up a jet squelcher, I don't worry about tri-sloshers ever.

Last edited:

ForteReborn

Inkling Commander
NNID
ForteReborn
Switch Friend Code
SW-5389-7346-0792
Dynamo has been extended, time to see how far I can fling it. Also, they upgraded CARBON? Oh my, oh my. Thank you.

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
Not exactly sure what they mean by blaster wobble. Anyone?

Inking the trees growing in The Reef and Inkblot Art Academy stages will no longer earn points or fill the special gauge.
Welp I'm done! This babbe's 1st shooter game is no longer fresh! Bad enough they won't let me climb the trees like in single-player! Get your crap together nintendont!!1!

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin

(Edit, that was linking weird, so just use this: https://t.co/tnoBWiLXwa )

I stand corrected aswell!

...Wait, no Stingray buff!? Guess they're still figuring that out. Atleast the Baller got a needed HP buff, maybe now I don't need to use 3 mains of special power up... or I keep using them to be even more powerful! :D

It's funny, they reduced the Dualies points for special only to bring it up again later. Don't agree with it being that high, but since it means they'll get more range I'll gladly take it!

sunfallSeraph

Inkster Jr.
NNID
sunfallSeraph
Not exactly sure what they mean by blaster wobble. Anyone?
To my understanding, Blasters got hit with an accuracy nerf in this game in the form of crosshair wobble when airborne. I guess jump shots were really strong on Blasters in the first game, so they wanted to make them harder to pull off; with this update though, it looks like they'll be backing off a little on that, so the Blasters they listed will have a bit more accuracy in the air now. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, that's just what I heard from a streamer who played a ton of the first game.

Dat Carbon buff tho. *sweats* I've gotten complacent maining the Jet, and now they're trying to bring me back to my speedy shark friend. It's going to be so ink efficient now... (hoping for a Flingza buff in the future too, it does not feel great to use)

Ansible

Community Ambassador
Ah, was a touch worried that'd be the case. I was oddly liking the inaccuracy of midair blaster shots. It felt like it was encouraging us to actually play differently rather than being a doom dealing bunny hopping jiangshi inkling that everyone who ever uses a blaster in Splatoon 1 inevitably becomes.

Award

@Award, Nothing too complicated, just a simple tap of the squid/swim button. You can perform the chargeroll in place or in any direction.

What you're doing is immediately skipping to the ending animation normally performed during a stored charged swim with hardly any of the ending lag. It not only works as a dodge because it moves you one character width, but it hides your laser while allowing you to freely aim anywhere.

's not a bug, just an unintended mechanic... ¬¬;
Ahh, yeah if it's advancing to the last animation, that's a bug indeed. Though I also don't see THAT much utility to the move.

There is a range advantage on scopes still. But yeah, the maps seem to favor nonscoped stuff for now, since pretty much anything you can hit with a scope you can still hit without. And port mackerel is p much the only map you can use the scope without worrying about an immediate flank.
Glad to hear scopes have a range advantage, but, yeah.....I'm starting to feel that, honestly, the Eliter has almost no reason to exist in this game. Which makes me sad. I love the role it plays, but I find on these small maps, I'm constantly getting flanked, and where teammates suck (which has been rampant. Between the last 2 nights' I've played a total of 42 games in all 3 modes in B or B- (I do avoid solo queue....and I have a love of salmon run....so I don't play ranked much..) I won 7 of them. Strangely I'm still ahead of where I was on the rank bars. I think someone's theory that if they KNOW you're heavily outmatched they just ding the glass and don't crack you....which means it KNEW I was outmatched for dozens of rounds but kept doing it anyway. I mean it's been BAD. Teams that ink NOTHING and then get spawncamped. Teams that stand in enemy ink to just kill kill kill, but never move the objective (one beautiful match, my whole team hand 10+ kills EACH, their team had 4+ kills each. We lost the tower 0-84. I was the one that put those 16 points on the tower. With an eliter. Then there's the teams that ink but never touch the objective and never kill (how many rounds we lost in under 20 seconds where I had 2 kills, my team had 0....and was still painting near spawn....ugh!)

Anyway, my feeling is, maybe eliter is more useful in the upper ranks, but in the lower ranks, it's just too team dependent to be viable with maps designed around anti-sniper flanking. I'm not sure it's really possible to "main" one through solo ranks bottom to top. Even Moray now has so many flank routes (as though the 3 before weren't enough) that I find myself getting flanked and using the eliter as a bamboozler for at least half the match while the team is nowhere to be found and leaves the area in enemy ink. So then I spend the match painting paths until I get flanked again. So naturally I finish with 4 kills to their 12. Because if anyone should paint the entire map, it's the eliter, not the 2 aerosprays and the duelie. Those are killing tools...

On these maps, almost anything the eliter can reach the splat charger can reach. And anything that's REALLY safe is too far for eliter too. I want to love it. I can do well with it when the team can support it. But it's just too often an eliter gets overrun to make it really a great tool anymore. Squiffer manages the forced CQC so much better, and even splat charger seems kind of "meh" atm. Rarenly are the foes outside squiffer range in the "I can't believe it's not Underpass!" map.

I end up leaning more toward respawn punisher to deal with this since if you prevent how long a tri-slosher or an n-zap from being in a battle gaining special charge it prevent heavy pushes or force them to priortize you over objective.
Respawn punisher is too much double edge sword though. If you're often doing kamikaze runs on the RM, or are an RM carrier often, it might hurt even worse than it helps. Also bad if you're the tower rider. Too many bad places for it IMO. Maybe better at the high level but if you're often the "team carrier", that's going to hurt a lot.

Yup. It's really weird. Zones in league duos has been the worst for me. Know I'm not a constant complainer when it comes to teammates because I promise all of you it gets to really weird levels of incompetence in zones. I really don't understand it, and it's driving me insane.
I don't know. Over the last 2 days I've seen crazy incompetence at all modes. So many times I see the RM heading in, and I'm chasing after, but with less swim speeds I can't catch up......I don't see a single teammate this entire time. TC, we have a 17-84 lead........the enemy gets it in OT, and rides it to KO. I'll get 2-3 triple-kills during this time and my team gets wiped out by the only living squid left. :P It's very discouraging. Zones...of course, they just go and kill but never paint the zone. If I switch to an inking weapon, I get a team that just paints the base (but not the zone, and doesn't kill) :P I can't win! I mean I'm super rusty compared to where I was in S1.....I'm no S atm, but....these kids are just BAD!

And the superjumping. Oh geeze the superjumping right into enemy ink, over and over and over. Do they not know where the map button is? I constantly see full team wipes on my team.....and rarely on the other team. They all get splatted, I'm the last one left and get splatted from 3 sides.....and then they race out and do it again! I wait for them (ceding important ground to the enemy!) to gang up...they race out, and get splatted right in front of me. I've taken to wearing ink resistance +++++ because retreating is my primary ability :P

It's about time we got some new maps! However it seems Manta Maria is yet another small map with tight spaces and much obstacles. I'm starting to fear we'll never get maps like Walleye, Kelp, or Triggerfish and that every map is just going to be a variant of Flounder Heights. =(
I fear the same. Flounder/Underpass/Skatepark forever! And the one old map they brought back was *#*#@ Mackerel.

I am also waiting for the bamboozler series to come back. I am really dying for them, they were one of my favorite weak weapons that felt fun to get creative with the challenge of using your wits.
Bambi was never weak. Difficult to master, but the masters of that thing were the most OP players in the game.

Ah...so all buffs this update. I'm hype that my Sploosh and Heavy Splatling got speed buffs! ........now...why is the Mini still so slow?! AAAA! Fix it!

I guess Ink Armor, Rapid Blaster, Tri-Slosher, and Octobrush are getting the nerf hammer NEXT patch.
The Revoloosh is revised?! I might have to change my sig back :)

I took it as more of a trade-off because they extended the range by 9%.

Editing this in so I don't spam the thread, but I found playing with some longer range weapons showed how weapons like the tri-slosher aren't as overpowered as people think. There are hard counters to most weapons that even out the playing field. In many cases, people aren't picking those counters because... why? I dunno. Maybe because they don't have ink armor or maybe for some other reason.

The diversity should be there. Balance should be there. Maybe it's because longer range weapons have a higher learning curve. I don't know. When I pick up a jet squelcher, I don't worry about tri-sloshers ever.

The thing with trisloshers is they have such fast attack and range. Ranged weps don't counter them because they're typically bunny hopping, messing up the shots missing with the low tick. A weapon with that much kill force should be slower moving. It's a mix of being fast and light like a sploosh but with the kill range and power of a mini-dynamo and the fling speed of a carbon. It can flank snipers while easily avoiding sniper shots if it's a 1v1 battle.

I've basically never played trislosh other than messing with it in TW early in S1. I was losing, losing, losing in zones the other day with all my normal weps. I bought the trislosh and started dominating every round, 16+ kills and fast KOs. It's crazy OP. I'm not even skilled with it. A skilled player with it would be even deadlier. It was so effective for once it was my team getting close to a spanwcamp of the enemy. That bucket controls the battlefield right now.

Award

Ah, was a touch worried that'd be the case. I was oddly liking the inaccuracy of midair blaster shots. It felt like it was encouraging us to actually play differently rather than being a doom dealing bunny hopping jiangshi inkling that everyone who ever uses a blaster in Splatoon 1 inevitably becomes.
Isn't that really just the Lunas though? I don't recall RnB's being bunny hoppers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom