Splatoon 2: Find Out What's Fresh! (General Discussion)

What are you most excited about for Splatoon 2?

• New Weapons

Votes: 8 7.9%
  • New Stages

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • New Specials

Votes: 3 3.0%
  • New Character Customization Options

Votes: 16 15.8%
  • New Modes

Votes: 9 8.9%
  • The Return of Old Stuff (Stages, Weapons, etc.)

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • EVERYTHING!!!

Votes: 55 54.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Silxer

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Dan1771
Maybe now I can start using the Stingray more than twice a game if at all!? Eh I'm not sure if the buffs it got are gonna be enough, you generally don't fire it continuously when tracking moving targets, and having it out longer seems more like a nerf lel. Will be better at forcing people off the Tower for sure though.
It's a start, it all depends on how those shock waves work and how "greatly" the size of the damage dealing beam is increased... hopefully it's good as it sounds.

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
Baller finally gets a good buff, along with the majority of the underused specials. Hooray!

Stingray is going to be interesting, but it really depends what this new shockwave property is gonna be. Is it going to do splash damage when the beam comes in contact with ground? I guess we'll find out if it ends up being worthwhile or not when we try it out.

I doubt this nerf is going to hurt Tri that much. It still has no falloff damage and it's attack is still a 2-shot kill, but the range decrease definitely makes it more manageable. It now at least has to score a direct with burst in order to lower that to a 1-shot. It's still going to stay strong.
Erm it does have fall-off damage, just unlike shooters it's based on how high above your target you are. So now with any height advantage the Tri-Slosher becomes a 3hko at best.

@Saber I actually linked them to the mini-thumbnails on inkipedia, though I did that for S1 and a few weeks ago they changed the web layout and all those old image paths showed up as broken images here. So I updated it all for new splatoon 2 weapons. And then last week they remodeled again and all the thumbnails are large images, I can't find the minis anymore. So the ones I already picked seem to (for now) still be there, but I can't grab links to new ones. The Goo Tuber one is the size of the ones they have visible now. It coincidentally happens to signify my main main nicely so it worked out until I have to add others ;)

This aint your grandma's aerospray! These things have teeth! I made the same assumption you did until I started seeing hordes of super-deadly aero players. Very often I see aeros having the most kills (well into the double digits) in the lobby. I didn't believe it and didn't get many kills myself when I'd try it (though I was pretty decent with aero in S1, weak as it was.) Sometimes it's lag, I get killed a lot by aeros WAAAY outside the range they should be able to kill, and they have kill speeds that rival the bucket when that happens. But the other day I picked it up again, and approached it differently and then I saw it. The thing is a killing machine! I was getting 12-16 kills with it without breaking a sweat. I was playing it more sploosh-like instead of splattershot like, and I realized it's just like a sploosh but with triple the range. Technically a lot slower ttk, but if you're evasive it doesn't matter. I think too many S1 players keep applying S1 thinking to it. It's more dangerous than before. And it's inking capability gives it much more maneuverability for an evasive player than most weapons except sploosh. Pack it with some inksaver and speed buffs and go to town.....And then there's that unlimited baller..... ;) It's a matter of perspective. If you main Forge they have limited range. If you main sploosh, they have amazing range :p

Yeah, aero's OP this time around. Fixed it's uselessness but created a monster.

Aero can't be thought of as a short range tentatek. It's a long range sploosh. A lot of players seem to have figured that out, and it's quite deadly.
I don't think the Areospray itself got any buffs, still the same low range, low damage (5hko), and awful accuracy. That low range just isn't as bad anymore with the way maps are designed and how many other weapons got range nerfs. Still I wouldn't call it OP, and I hardly ever see it used, though I almost never play turf war with how long the wait times are. Even so, the gold areo has the same kit as an upcoming weapon I'm really looking forward to since the kit has been buffed. Thus now I want to use the gold areospray as a preview of sorts to that weapon, as little sense as that makes hehe.

MindWanderer

Inkling Commander
NNID
MindWanderer
Switch Friend Code
SW-5961-6763-3987
Nice! Just about everything I could have wanted. Interested to see how the new Stingray shockwaves and Ink Armor knockback will work (that stunt I pulled face-tanking a roller swing won't work again). And I always thought it was the tickrate that allowed Armor to keep working for a few frames after being destroyed, now I know it was deliberate, and I think 8 frames will make a tangible difference. All the tweaks make the subs and specials I loved but felt were underpowered much more viable. Too bad about the nerf to Rapid Blasters, but I have to agree it's a good idea overall. I have improved hopes for my old friends the Custom Range Blaster and .52 Gal Deco! And the vanilla .52 got a nice little buff, too--now a distant Baller Inksplosion plus just 1 shot from the weapon is a kill.

Award

Squid Savior From the Future
Erm it does have fall-off damage, just unlike shooters it's based on how high above your target you are. So now with any height advantage the Tri-Slosher becomes a 3hko at best.

I don't think the Areospray itself got any buffs, still the same low range, low damage (5hko), and awful accuracy. That low range just isn't as bad anymore with the way maps are designed and how many other weapons got range nerfs. Still I wouldn't call it OP, and I hardly ever see it used, though I almost never play turf war with how long the wait times are. Even so, the gold areo has the same kit as an upcoming weapon I'm really looking forward to since the kit has been buffed. Thus now I want to use the gold areospray as a preview of sorts to that weapon, as little sense as that makes hehe.
Yeah, I agree that the aero was "buffed" by nerfing everything else (why will nobody talk about what happened to eliter? :( ) but I'm surprised you're not seeing it a lot. True I play a lot of TW because I'm constantly playing with different weapons (and trying to get consistent with chargers again), and TW lobbies are 50% aeros, but I also see them constantly in SZ. And then there's splatfest. I haven't done as much RM recently so I don't know what's going on in there. I've been glued to my Tuber since I discovered I love it as a new main (to replace my massacred eliter....) and I don't do that in RM.

But seriously even in fast and furious TW rounds, the aeros are almost always the only weps in the double-digit kill range. Which I didn't understand till I gave it another try the other day and realized just how EASY it is to kill with. Seriously, try it and see if you're not joining the "aero is op" crowd. Splattershots have nothing over that thing, even with burst cancelling! I can't remember, you're waiting for H3D, right?

SquidKid85

Inkling Commander
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch Friend Code
SW-2518-9259-3787
Posting to show that I am indeed still alive...

But based on former complaints in this thread, the new changes sound good, but...

I STILL DON'T HAVE THE GAME!!!! >:(

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
Yeah, I agree that the aero was "buffed" by nerfing everything else (why will nobody talk about what happened to eliter? :( ) but I'm surprised you're not seeing it a lot. True I play a lot of TW because I'm constantly playing with different weapons (and trying to get consistent with chargers again), and TW lobbies are 50% aeros, but I also see them constantly in SZ. And then there's splatfest. I haven't done as much RM recently so I don't know what's going on in there. I've been glued to my Tuber since I discovered I love it as a new main (to replace my massacred eliter....) and I don't do that in RM.

But seriously even in fast and furious TW rounds, the aeros are almost always the only weps in the double-digit kill range. Which I didn't understand till I gave it another try the other day and realized just how EASY it is to kill with. Seriously, try it and see if you're not joining the "aero is op" crowd. Splattershots have nothing over that thing, even with burst cancelling! I can't remember, you're waiting for H3D, right?
Splattershot and most shooters for that matter kinda have everything over it. :L
Range, damage, accuracy, arguably better kits in some cases. The only advantage Areospray has is faster turf spread, but most shooters turf well enough so that advantage isn't a significant one. You can still do well with it of course, but it's a hard sell over other weapons. I will be using it, but even if I do great I still couldn't call it OP cause of the aforementioned lack of advantages.

Also Slosher Deco is the weapon I'm referring to. I wasn't sure if we could talk about unreleased weapon kits here or not. A Slosher hit plus Baller run into/indirect explosion damage equals splat so it should be a really great special for it.

Green Waffles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I'll be over here, waiing to hear the first "WTF he sniped through my armor AND SPATTED ME?!? SO UNFAIR" from someone who got hit by spash damage before getting ink armor and then getting a face-full of snipe
Patch 1.3.0?

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
Servers are officially down for maintenance! A little under 2 more hours until we finally see if the Stingray is more than just a "hey please come kill me!" signal, if the Tri-Slosher is no longer "God Tier" as some claim, if the Baller is now a true successor to the Kraken, and much moar!

Silxer

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Dan1771

GLORIOUS. This is EXACTLY what the Sting Ray needed. Slow, hard to control, HUGE FOCUSED DEATH LASER!
Noo! I just posted that in another thread... you beat me to the punch by 2 minutes...

But yea... that looks amazing, now to test it out in action...

Ansible

Community Ambassador
I wouldn't cry OP that fast, this only happens after 1.5 seconds of continuous fire. It's basically a slightly different killer wail when used this way.
True that true that. If they really wanted to make it OP then the Sting Ray would begin dealing damage the moment you start firing. Instead there's a start up lag as the stream has to condense first before dealing damage. This happens every time you fire it.

At the moment the buff might not work for me in most situations as I tend to fire in burst instead of a steady stream. Especially when someone is trying to flee. But with a bit of practice I can properly work with the increased hurtbox.

Someone slap me if I start becoming a Sting Ray hipster... ¬¬; It's nice to think that more people may actually use it, and well, and I probably won't get question marks from splatted players who see me wearing Special Power Up to extend my Sting Ray time, but "I've been using the Sting Ray before it was buffed/cool/viable." =p

IHaveAToaster

Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-4526-2274-0616
1.3.0? Wonder what changes it has-
Tri-Slosher
  • Maximum damage dealt decreased from 62.0 to 52.0
  • Range shortened by 9%

GLORIOUS. This is EXACTLY what the Sting Ray needed. Slow, hard to control, HUGE FOCUSED DEATH LASER!
They did it. They actually did it. They fixed some of the biggest balancing issue in the game, and it did it in just over a month. Even if this doesn't mean much in the long run, my concerns about balancing have largely been put to rest (for now at least).

I actually linked them to the mini-thumbnails on inkipedia, though I did that for S1 and a few weeks ago they changed the web layout and all those old image paths showed up as broken images here. So I updated it all for new splatoon 2 weapons. And then last week they remodeled again and all the thumbnails are large images, I can't find the minis anymore.
I also used the thumbnails on inkipedia. You might find this helpful.

MissingNumbers

Inkling Commander
NNID
MissingN
Switch Friend Code
SW-4262-2166-2532
Well, it looks like not only is Japan getting its own Splatfest to itself again, rather than reusing the Shifty Station from Flight vs Invisibility, they've got their own variety.

Certainly not what I expected when checking the news. And it's a huge shame, I would've loved to play on this one.

Also, it's not just me that finds it a little weird that they always preview the Shifty Station layouts as if they were normal multiplayer maps, right?

Award

Death to the f*it bucket! Finally. And I can finally nail some inkjets! I'm not sure I feel the boost on splashdown, honestly, but maybe I'll get splatted less while using it. I didn't get any more direct kills with it.

Stingray is actually fun now! I got several kills with it, quasi- consistently. Still takes a ton of ticks before it kills, several times I had it focused on someone "tickticktickticktickticktickticktick......" (they moved) "ticktickticktictick" (special's over they get to live.") But it's kind of cool now. Still way safer than the insta-gib wail though.

Inkstorm spam is going to be VERY annoying in this new meta.

Baller can't be held in place anymore...that's awesome!

And today's weapon is: CSJ?!? Where's Bamboozler? Where's Hydra? Where's more bubble blowers? Where's CEliter to make up for the lackluster vanilla eliter?

1.3.0? Wonder what changes it has-

They did it. They actually did it. They fixed some of the biggest balancing issue in the game, and it did it in just over a month. Even if this doesn't mean much in the long run, my concerns about balancing have largely been put to rest (for now at least).

I also used the thumbnails on inkipedia. You might find this helpful.
Hey you found the original weapons page! cool! That's way better than that new format one!

Splattershot and most shooters for that matter kinda have everything over it. :L
Range, damage, accuracy, arguably better kits in some cases. The only advantage Areospray has is faster turf spread, but most shooters turf well enough so that advantage isn't a significant one. You can still do well with it of course, but it's a hard sell over other weapons. I will be using it, but even if I do great I still couldn't call it OP cause of the aforementioned lack of advantages.

Also Slosher Deco is the weapon I'm referring to. I wasn't sure if we could talk about unreleased weapon kits here or not. A Slosher hit plus Baller run into/indirect explosion damage equals splat so it should be a really great special for it.
I know, I know, on paper it's not great. On paper, the splattershot is way better. Maybe it's the way it all interacts with the tick rate, I don't know. What I do know is I'm continuously massacred by aeros 2-1 vs other weapons....they can get me while I'm up on ledges from far down below like a jet squelcher for unknown reasons. I'm not quite that advanced with aeros. But I do know I can kill like a maniac as good as or better than sloshing machine with the thing, and I I can kill a LOT better with it than a splattershot for some reason. Granted, I've always sucked at splattershot. Don't ask me why. But even with burst cancelling I'm only ok with splattershot. But those numbers just pile up with the gold aero. And I see so many lobbies where if there's no aeros the splattershots get like 12-15 kills, but if there's aeros the splattershots get, like 7 and the aeros are getting 12-15 :) That excludes the crazy imbalanced matches where someone gets >20 kills. I've only ever done that with octobrush in S2. Maybe I could pull it off with aero....maaaaybe sloshing machine. Used to be able to do it with eliters in S1....not so much in S2 :p

Last edited:

Spaceswitchmars

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
_funmars
Switch Friend Code
SW-0556-1305-6031
Well, it looks like not only is Japan getting its own Splatfest to itself again, rather than reusing the Shifty Station from Flight vs Invisibility, they've got their own variety.

Certainly not what I expected when checking the news. And it's a huge shame, I would've loved to play on this one.

Also, it's not just me that finds it a little weird that they always preview the Shifty Station layouts as if they were normal multiplayer maps, right?

I liked the shifty we got last Splatfest. I liked it a lot. I'm sure we'll see this version eventually, though. Every region will see every permutation at least once.

And today's weapon is: CSJ?!? Where's Bamboozler? Where's Hydra? Where's more bubble blowers? Where's CEliter to make up for the lackluster vanilla eliter?
Or the rapid blaster pro or just... any weapon that's not merely a new kit. I kind of thought the only reason we were getting the SSP kit last week was due to the new special. Nothing against the CSJ, but we have a lot of vanilla kits to get through first, and that's not even counting the one brand new weapon we know is coming (won't call it by name in case of spoilers).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom