Splatoon 2: Find Out What's Fresh! (General Discussion)

What are you most excited about for Splatoon 2?

• New Weapons

Votes: 8 7.9%
  • New Stages

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • New Specials

Votes: 3 3.0%
  • New Character Customization Options

Votes: 16 15.8%
  • New Modes

Votes: 9 8.9%
  • The Return of Old Stuff (Stages, Weapons, etc.)

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • EVERYTHING!!!

Votes: 55 54.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
Just like how Bomb Sniffer was never used, and now no one noticed that it isn't in Splatoon 2 :(.
It's kinda still there, retooled into Bomb Defense Up.

Actually according to the tier list up in the competitive section the sloshing machine is at the top of tier 2 (behind only the tentatek and rapid blaster)
Ah, good to know! It went from a rare sight in Splat 1 to a top tier weapon. I'm glad it finally gets it's time to shine!

Spaceswitchmars

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
_funmars
Switch Friend Code
SW-0556-1305-6031
I now feel pretty confident in saying the Sloshing Machine is one of the best weapons in the game, but I haven't seen much discussion about it so I don't know what the general consensus on it is. I'm guessing the Sting Ray is keeping people from giving it a serious look, but even with that I still think it's OP with just how strong the main weapon itself is. Well I wont be surprised if people eventually start complaining about it like they did the Tri-Slosher hehe.
It's fantastic. I'm still not the most pumped about the special. I'll hate Sting Ray until they let me cancel out of it when I want (right now, it doesn't feel worth the risk or time investment except in very specific scenarios). Whatever its alt kit is (I'm too lazy right now to look it up), I'm sure it'll push it even higher up my list of favorite weapons.

Maave

Inkling Commander
I now feel pretty confident in saying the Sloshing Machine is one of the best weapons in the game, but I haven't seen much discussion about it so I don't know what the general consensus on it is. I'm guessing the Sting Ray is keeping people from giving it a serious look, but even with that I still think it's OP with just how strong the main weapon itself is. Well I wont be surprised if people eventually start complaining about it like they did the Tri-Slosher hehe.
Yeah I've been noticing it more. It's not rage-inducing OP like the Tri-Slosher was, it's just generally good. I like that there are more buckets playing compared to S1. I really wish they'd tweak the controls though, I can't do the trigger spam.

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
The Sloshing Machine always feels so delicious whenever someone tries to hide behind an object, back away from a ledge, or even tries to hide behind the pole in tower control. Especially when you get that direct sound! "Why you tryin hide? You can't hide, why you tryin to hide!" *cackles* ლ(`∀´ლ)

Award

I feel that compared to the splattershot pro, pairing the bubble blower with the heavy splatling was a better idea. After gleefully swishing out the bubbles you can quickly pop two or all three at your leisure within a single charge.

Meanwhile, sorting through my clothing for some outfits I was reminded that Drop Roller is a thing! LOL Does anyone even use it? Does splashdown cancel its usage?
I've tried to pop my bubbles with a full charge and find it unloads the whole thing and nothing happens. I think there's a time delay as the bubbles thin out that they're really too strong to be popped by anything. I go some great chain bubble kills on art gallery though, chaining all 3 together in the enemy base area :)

OTOH I can't figure out how to do anything useful with bubbles at all in kelp dome. Can't get the bubbles to congregate, and can't splat anyone with it, so I just let them float as general shields. Unfortunately my team pops them immediately so they end up being nothing but a free ink refill.

I never see anyone use it. Honestly, outside of very safe super jumps, the only people I see jumping are idiots and splashdowners (based on my experience -- anecdotal evidence that may not have much in common with statistical reality). Most people I play with swim back the majority of the time, so dedicating a main ability to something like drop roller seems weird.

Not to mention that it seems less effective than dropping a bomb when you land or, if you have a dual-whatever, taking a free roll without that ability.
Occasionally I find myself duped and splatted by a drop roller. People use it. But it just seems so....limited.

Actually according to the tier list up in the competitive section the sloshing machine is at the top of tier 2 (behind only the tentatek and rapid blaster)
Called it! I thought it was going to be meta the day it came out when I was getting double digit kills in TW which rarely ever happens. It's rare that I find a meta weapon fun, but that one manages somehow! It was a great killer in S1 too though, so I'm not sure why it never made the meta there.

It's funny to see SM and RB as meta in this game...those things were never played in S1.

Just like how Bomb Sniffer was never used, and now no one noticed that it isn't in Splatoon 2 :(.
It was introduced so late in the meta though. The Sheldons Picks updates felt like a swan song for the game more than real meta improvements. I got some good use out of my black and blue ski boots....it helped me when steamrolling with krakon :)

IHaveAToaster

Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-4526-2274-0616
I now feel pretty confident in saying the Sloshing Machine is one of the best weapons in the game, but I haven't seen much discussion about it so I don't know what the general consensus on it is. Well I wont be surprised if people eventually start complaining about it like they did the Tri-Slosher hehe.
While I don't think it's the best weapon in the game, I do agree that the Sloshing Machine is kinda slept on.
Whatever its alt kit is (I'm too lazy right now to look it up), I'm sure it'll push it even higher up my list of favorite weapons.
The datamined kit for the Neo is Point Sensor and Splat-Bomb Launcher.

Basically: Would you rather have a good Sub, or a good Special? :p
IOTOH I can't figure out how to do anything useful with bubbles at all in kelp dome. Can't get the bubbles to congregate, and can't splat anyone with it, so I just let them float as general shields.
I've had trouble with Kelp Dome with Bubbles too then again, I can't get anything to work on Kelp Dome. Never considered just using them as a shield, might be useful on the grates since the bubbles can't move too much.

Ansible

Community Ambassador
@Award, I'll recheck but they shouldn't take that much work to pop, depending on how solid their color is. As for using them in Kelp Dome, they can serve welk as distraction, shield, and delayed bomb. Are you using them in corridors and corners and small spaces? Maybe lob them at the long range perches or the center platform. Then let whatever happens happen

Saber

NNID
Saber
Switch Friend Code
SW-0369-4203-0233
By the way can someone give me advice on what abilities to use on the sloshing machine... it can get so many splats and specials (usually got 5 per round) with it but I i have to admit I have no real clue what to use with this weapon or where I should initially position myself when heading into a fight

Bubble Blower though is honestly a great mobile shield and a perfect distraction on objectives to allow allies to flank,
in small areas it can even deny access to certain paths like the ramps in kelp dome.
However make sure to keep your distance cause like with ink walls get too close and they can splat you through the bubble with a splat bomb.

Award

@Award, I'll recheck but they shouldn't take that much work to pop, depending on how solid their color is. As for using them in Kelp Dome, they can serve welk as distraction, shield, and delayed bomb. Are you using them in corridors and corners and small spaces? Maybe lob them at the long range perches or the center platform. Then let whatever happens happen
The color would be solid since I was trying right after blowing the bubbles. With Kelp the problem is there aren't many corners or tight spaces. Almost every "narrow" area has multiple escapes. Which is the cool thing about dome being in the round, but it causes trouble for weapons that require cornering. Splashdown has the same issue. The catwalks themselves do that, but since you can drop through them and go around that's still providing lots of paths. I was trying in the center area a lot. And they'd be great shields if it weren't for the fact that as soon as you blow a bubble your team becomes a group of ritalin addled 5 year olds that just saw a shiny squirrel run by and drop everything to go and pop your shield bubble, wasting any value it had :P

LEAVE. MY BUBBLES. ALONE. NO TOUCH!!

By the way can someone give me advice on what abilities to use on the sloshing machine... it can get so many splats and specials (usually got 5 per round) with it but I i have to admit I have no real clue what to use with this weapon or where I should initially position myself when heading into a fight

Bubble Blower though is honestly a great mobile shield and a perfect distraction on objectives to allow allies to flank,
in small areas it can even deny access to certain paths like the ramps in kelp dome.
However make sure to keep your distance cause like with ink walls get too close and they can splat you through the bubble with a splat bomb.
Run naked. Who needs clothing with that thing? :P The ladies of Treehouse were obsessed with shirtless Link last E3. I want my shirtless INK...ling! Mario gets to do it. Link gets to do it. Why does my inkling need to be covered in the body cloths. Why is Inkopolis such a repressive culture?! They denied us pants for years but MANDATE the use of shirts! Hypocrisy! Just don't take away my aviators. Nothing says "please shoot me in the face" like wearing aviators while bare chested. :D

Seriously, I think inksaver/ink recovery, run speed, and ink resist is what I always go with. Keep moving, move fast, and never stop sloshing!

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
Yeah I've been noticing it more. It's not rage-inducing OP like the Tri-Slosher was, it's just generally good. I like that there are more buckets playing compared to S1. I really wish they'd tweak the controls though, I can't do the trigger spam.
Hey atleast it's not as button mashy as Inkbrush, but yeah they could just make it like Blasters, where even though they have a slow fire rate, they still continuously fire when the the trigger is held down. I'm guessing the only reason it's not like that is for the sake of being different.

While I don't think it's the best weapon in the game, I do agree that the Sloshing Machine is kinda slept on.

The datamined kit for the Neo is Point Sensor and Splat-Bomb Launcher.

Basically: Would you rather have a good Sub, or a good Special? :p

I've had trouble with Kelp Dome with Bubbles too then again, I can't get anything to work on Kelp Dome. Never considered just using them as a shield, might be useful on the grates since the bubbles can't move too much.
I think Point Sensor, while not as good as bombs, is still good in general, but it'll be especially great on a weapon that can hit around obstacles, so I'll definitely be going with the Neo, but the vanilla still has it's niche during Tower Control and on maps like Port Mackerel.

Spaceswitchmars

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
_funmars
Switch Friend Code
SW-0556-1305-6031
I think Point Sensor, while not as good as bombs, is still good in general, but it'll be especially great on a weapon that can hit around obstacles, so I'll definitely be going with the Neo, but the vanilla still has it's niche during Tower Control and on maps like Port Mackerel.
I wish it was anything else, but that doesn't make it useless. Splat bombs would be perfect.

Award

Hey atleast it's not as button mashy as Inkbrush, but yeah they could just make it like Blasters, where even though they have a slow fire rate, they still continuously fire when the the trigger is held down. I'm guessing the only reason it's not like that is for the sake of being different.

The button mashiness of the brushes is downright painful (though in S1 I managed to actually make my finger numb for months with chargers...somehow the trigger of the gamepad pinched a nerve somewhere....it was really distressing...) . I don't miss octobrush....I'm glad it went meta and I abandoned it....that's finger abuse! Sloshers/SM/rollers seem fine in contrast.

Eww, point sensor. Does anyone really find it useful? When I have it I try to use it to "help the team" or for flushing out hiding inklings (but somehow the AoE usually misses them even if they are there leading us to rush into a trap anyway), but when a teammate point sensors someone, I usually don't even notice it until I"m splatting or being splatted by the offender anyway. Especially in ranked modes , things just move too fast for it to be really useful. Same with ninja squid really. I love the ability but I find in ranked extra speed is more useful except on heavies like dynamo, because few can track moving things that fast. These all seem more useful in TW than any ranked mode. Sloshing Neo is the only one I never minded it on even in S1 though.....I never use ANY of the subs with SM because no matter the sub, it's always inferior to the main weapon. :)

MindWanderer

Inkling Commander
NNID
MindWanderer
Switch Friend Code
SW-5961-6763-3987
Point Sensor and Ninja Squid are both amazing used correctly, but how you use them depends on your set. Ninja Squid is obvious, put it on close-kill weapons and try to play the shark, but you'll want a bunch of Swim Speed Up to cancel out the penalty. I find I get killed a lot less when I have it on when I'm using weapons like Aerosprays and Juniors.

Point Sensor is especially useful paired with a weapon that doesn't ink well, so you don't feel like you need to ink everything around you to be safe from surprises, or with weapons that can hit around corners. The Sloshing Machine is both, so I see it getting a lot of mileage. I personally like it on the SS Pro as well--it's cheap, helps me aim, and helps prevent weapons with faster kills than me (Sploosh, Brush, Rollers) from getting the jump on me.

What I don't get is Haunt. I used to love Haunt, but it got a huge nerf (it wasn't popular anyway!). The facts that the effect only works at long range, and is useless when they're in squid form, and doesn't even highlight them clearly if there's no obstacle between you, and wears off when they die (and it's highly likely they'll die before I can get to them), and of course it doesn't help your allies at all... I just can't see the point. Even Thermal Ink only seems to be useful on Jet Squelchers.

Luminario

Full Squid
What I don't get is Haunt. I used to love Haunt, but it got a huge nerf (it wasn't popular anyway!). The facts that the effect only works at long range, and is useless when they're in squid form, and doesn't even highlight them clearly if there's no obstacle between you, and wears off when they die (and it's highly likely they'll die before I can get to them), and of course it doesn't help your allies at all... I just can't see the point. Even Thermal Ink only seems to be useful on Jet Squelchers.
Haunt's nerf was incredibly unnecessary. I loved the smug feeling of seeing my killer get hounded by my teammates thanks to the point sensor effect, but now the thermal ink effect is so unreliable. Everything that uses the Thermal Ink effect (like Haunt and Stingray) should really make the opponents glow like a fully charged charger no matter if they're behind a wall or not. I wonder if it'll be buffed in the near future.

Ansible

Community Ambassador
Squid beakons? Ouch! That's some pure ink guzzling there!

Would've preferred the rumored splash wall or point sensor.

But I'll give it a good workout either way. Yet should I wait until after the weekend to try it, just so I can gleefully beat up all the other brella noobs, or join the crowd? Hmmm~...

Meanwhile, @Award, turns out the splatling can pop two separate bubbles in a full charge. Not only that, it seems they become more solid/unstable/coated/whatever given time or left to roll around in ink, making them easier to pop. This requires more playing testing to unlock their fun potential!

Saber

NNID
Saber
Switch Friend Code
SW-0369-4203-0233
@MindWanderer Actually thermal ink also get some mileage thorough poison mist,and burst bombs allowing you to weaken and see your opponents location, it also works on rapid fire weapons who can't finish a rushdown on a key opponent

Also the tentabrella looks okay, it is a OHKO at close range but as this treehouse shows it really isn't the main purpose of this weapons game play style, since of it's H-3 like fire rate and ink consumption.
I feel the close range KO serves much like a flingza vert flick KO cool to get but better used for coverage or overhead damage..... it really seem to shine as a team support role similar to how the cherry H-3 played expect it traded bubble for a huge umbrella shield.
It also has beakons that no one ever seems to use.......(why?) that are really effective but should be used more when you team has the player advantage again due to ink consumption.
Lastly it has bubble blower which combined with a launch umbrella shield can basically deny coverage of mulitple points or allies all at the same time.

I really can't wait to try this out and I will admit I will be going for the pogo sticks on enemies heads (crush platyers under the umbrella) if I get the oppurtinity:cool:

Green Waffles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
@Ansible Well, to be fair you only ever use :squidbeacon:when you're relatively safe.
and don't forget, they lessened ink consumption down from 90% to 70-75% (I can't remember which)

Also, needless to say since I use it for splat brella,
I'll definitely be packing :ability_inksavermain: fo' dis big boi (probably 2 whole mains xP)

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
I wish it was anything else, but that doesn't make it useless. Splat bombs would be perfect.
I'd say it's better than Ink Mine/Sprinkler/Toxic Mist/Squid Beacon, but that's just my opinion. Splat Bombs would be a little redundant though since the special is Splat Bomb Rush and the vanilla already has a Bomb sub.

The button mashiness of the brushes is downright painful (though in S1 I managed to actually make my finger numb for months with chargers...somehow the trigger of the gamepad pinched a nerve somewhere....it was really distressing...) . I don't miss octobrush....I'm glad it went meta and I abandoned it....that's finger abuse! Sloshers/SM/rollers seem fine in contrast.

Eww, point sensor. Does anyone really find it useful? When I have it I try to use it to "help the team" or for flushing out hiding inklings (but somehow the AoE usually misses them even if they are there leading us to rush into a trap anyway), but when a teammate point sensors someone, I usually don't even notice it until I"m splatting or being splatted by the offender anyway. Especially in ranked modes , things just move too fast for it to be really useful. Same with ninja squid really. I love the ability but I find in ranked extra speed is more useful except on heavies like dynamo, because few can track moving things that fast. These all seem more useful in TW than any ranked mode. Sloshing Neo is the only one I never minded it on even in S1 though.....I never use ANY of the subs with SM because no matter the sub, it's always inferior to the main weapon. :)
Well that's on you for missing with it and not noticing when someone's tagged. Your whole team knowing the location of the enemy no natter where they go is just as good as it always was, infact I'd say it's even more valuable now with all the low visibility maps and Ninja Squid being a popular ability once more while Cold-blooded is a rare sight.

@MindWanderer Actually thermal ink also get some mileage thorough poison mist,and burst bombs allowing you to weaken and see your opponents location, it also works on rapid fire weapons who can't finish a rushdown on a key opponent

Also the tentabrella looks okay, it is a OHKO at close range but as this treehouse shows it really isn't the main purpose of this weapons game play style, since of it's H-3 like fire rate and ink consumption.
I feel the close range KO serves much like a flingza vert flick KO cool to get but better used for coverage or overhead damage..... it really seem to shine as a team support role similar to how the cherry H-3 played expect it traded bubble for a huge umbrella shield.
It also has beakons that no one ever seems to use.......(why?) that are really effective but should be used more when you team has the player advantage again due to ink consumption.
Lastly it has bubble blower which combined with a launch umbrella shield can basically deny coverage of mulitple points or allies all at the same time.

I really can't wait to try this out and I will admit I will be going for the pogo sticks on enemies heads (crush platyers under the umbrella) if I get the oppurtinity:cool:
Are you saying Poison Mist and Burst Bombs can trigger Thermal ink, cause it only activates off of a direct hit from your main weapon.

As for the Tenta Brella, I definitely woulda prefered the rumored Point Sensor to rally your teammates so you can shield them. Beacons don't feel as useful as they used to be with how small most of these maps are, and the Brella weapons really need subs that help make up for their lesser offense. From the clip the Tenta Brella is a 3HKO around max range even with good accuracy, that's not so great considering how slow it probably is, but atleast it can 1HKO at melee range.

Maave

Inkling Commander
Eww, point sensor. Does anyone really find it useful? When I have it I try to use it to "help the team" or for flushing out hiding inklings (but somehow the AoE usually misses them even if they are there leading us to rush into a trap anyway), but when a teammate point sensors someone, I usually don't even notice it until I"m splatting or being splatted by the offender anyway. Especially in ranked modes , things just move too fast for it to be really useful.
The only map that I can make good use of it on is Port Mackerel. I toss them near the blind corners, over the boxes, and sometimes at intersections (hoping somebody will run through it in the next ~2sec.). They're also useful for getting out of spawn camps on various maps, especially if a teammate has bombs to throw along with your sensor.

I don't know how to use it well on other maps though

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom