Splatoon 2: Find Out What's Fresh! (General Discussion)

What are you most excited about for Splatoon 2?

• New Weapons

Votes: 8 7.9%
  • New Stages

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • New Specials

Votes: 3 3.0%
  • New Character Customization Options

Votes: 16 15.8%
  • New Modes

Votes: 9 8.9%
  • The Return of Old Stuff (Stages, Weapons, etc.)

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • EVERYTHING!!!

Votes: 55 54.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Award

Squid Savior From the Future
Point Sensor and Ninja Squid are both amazing used correctly, but how you use them depends on your set. Ninja Squid is obvious, put it on close-kill weapons and try to play the shark, but you'll want a bunch of Swim Speed Up to cancel out the penalty. I find I get killed a lot less when I have it on when I'm using weapons like Aerosprays and Juniors.

Point Sensor is especially useful paired with a weapon that doesn't ink well, so you don't feel like you need to ink everything around you to be safe from surprises, or with weapons that can hit around corners. The Sloshing Machine is both, so I see it getting a lot of mileage. I personally like it on the SS Pro as well--it's cheap, helps me aim, and helps prevent weapons with faster kills than me (Sploosh, Brush, Rollers) from getting the jump on me.

What I don't get is Haunt. I used to love Haunt, but it got a huge nerf (it wasn't popular anyway!). The facts that the effect only works at long range, and is useless when they're in squid form, and doesn't even highlight them clearly if there's no obstacle between you, and wears off when they die (and it's highly likely they'll die before I can get to them), and of course it doesn't help your allies at all... I just can't see the point. Even Thermal Ink only seems to be useful on Jet Squelchers.
For Ninja Squid, I love the ability, but I've found that I really only benefit from it on the heavies. Dynamo being a big one. With the fast weapons, I've found the extra swim speed up is nicer than the ninja. Sploosh, krak-on, carbon, and my speed-loaded tuber all seem to benefit from sharking and flanking RAPIDLY. Sure they see your splash, but it's hard to train on targets moving that fast. In the heat of battle a small fast moving target might as well be invisible. Meanwhile if I'm trying to position to camp quietly, moving slow (not quite the old waggle ninja, but just moving slowly in painted ink is, of course, just as invisible as ninja. And ninja isn't invisible if you hit a pocket of enemy ink or dry land.

The heavies, on the other hand benefit from it, because they have no way of moving "faster than human reaction" can account for so it hides them better. I still use it with krak-on sometimes because that's right in between in movement speed. But I've learned ninja sploosh isn't really any more ninja-ey than Sanic sploosh. :D Any player with a keen enough eye to notice where you are zipping around, has a keen enough eye to have detected a ninja squid, too.

My issue with point sensor is that I too often get false negatives. Echo Locator was useful because it was bullet-proof. It worked universally until the cold blooded meta picked up. Too many times with sensors, I waste a lot of ink throwing it, the radius LOOKS like it told me the coast was clear, but the enemy was apparently just off the corner of it and comes out and splats me anyway as I approach. I've learned it's not a very effective tool for flushing out hiding squids, and is a distant forth below the 3 bomb types of forcing them into the open, and I can't rely on the results and have to ink anyway (at which point using ink would have been a better bet.) Even Echo Locator became too unreliable after the cold blooded meta. I'll throw one out to help teammates now and again, but I've learned not to use them for me. Though I do also ink, a LOT with even weapons that don't ink a lot. And SMn isn't really a bad inker....it just has an odd inking pattern.

Well that's on you for missing with it and not noticing when someone's tagged. Your whole team knowing the location of the enemy no natter where they go is just as good as it always was, infact I'd say it's even more valuable now with all the low visibility maps and Ninja Squid being a popular ability once more while Cold-blooded is a rare sight.
That's the thing, I never thought it was especially useful even in S1. :) Good point about the low visibility maps, but OTOH, there's too many areas where squids tuck nicely into corners that the sensor LOOKS like it covers, but apparently actually doesn't. But then I also try to paint flat smooth surfaces to move around in everywhere for my play style anyway, so I'm constantly painting rather than making straight lines to go kill through even with a Pro. But what I've learned is that with or without point sensors, charging into enemy solid ink is dangerous and stupid. I therefore constantly do it anyway. :cool: But the various bomb types, and especially auto bombs, seem to be THE most effective tools for doing what point sensor claims to do, anyway. When a sensor is thrown, a squid may or may not be in it's path. When a bomb is thrown, they don't stay around long enough to find out :)

Haunt's nerf was incredibly unnecessary. I loved the smug feeling of seeing my killer get hounded by my teammates thanks to the point sensor effect, but now the thermal ink effect is so unreliable. Everything that uses the Thermal Ink effect (like Haunt and Stingray) should really make the opponents glow like a fully charged charger no matter if they're behind a wall or not. I wonder if it'll be buffed in the near future.
Glad someone else thinks so. On a lot of maps I can never actually see the thermal outlines for stingray. Some maps are better than others. The Manta Maria is particularly difficult to see the outlines on for some reason, where musselforge is usually ok.

Squid beakons? Ouch! That's some pure ink guzzling there!

Would've preferred the rumored splash wall or point sensor.

But I'll give it a good workout either way. Yet should I wait until after the weekend to try it, just so I can gleefully beat up all the other brella noobs, or join the crowd? Hmmm~...

Meanwhile, @Award, turns out the splatling can pop two separate bubbles in a full charge. Not only that, it seems they become more solid/unstable/coated/whatever given time or left to roll around in ink, making them easier to pop. This requires more playing testing to unlock their fun potential!
It occurred to me, I was thinking of splatting OPPONENTs bubbles, not my own! A full unload of a splatling does nothing. And 3-4 direct charger hits do nothing (which REALLY sucks...the bird flipping toward charger users continues....)

@MindWanderer Also the tentabrella ........ much like a flingza
Sorry, I saw those words used in the same paragraph and stopped reading the rest of the post..... :p

The only map that I can make good use of it on is Port Mackerel. I toss them near the blind corners, over the boxes, and sometimes at intersections (hoping somebody will run through it in the next ~2sec.). They're also useful for getting out of spawn camps on various maps, especially if a teammate has bombs to throw along with your sensor.

I don't know how to use it well on other maps though
Yeah the tight quarters in makerel mean that the enemy can't hide from the radius of it.....that's probably the only map that really works on. The corridors in Triggerfish used to be ok for it too. But not always.

IHaveAToaster

Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-4526-2274-0616
I think Point Sensor, while not as good as bombs, is still good in general, but it'll be especially great on a weapon that can hit around obstacles, so I'll definitely be going with the Neo, but the vanilla still has it's niche during Tower Control and on maps like Port Mackerel.
Don't worry - I mostly made that comparison in jest. I do like Point Sensors so I too will definitely be using the Neo, it's just not everyone thinks that they're all that good.
Hey look it's that thing that isn't the Hydra Splatlng so I don't care about it.

I hope the increased power and better defensive capabilities will make the Tenta Brella will actually be able to make it be better than just a fun gimmick. (Honestly, the regular Brella taught me to wait for a new weapon's release before I give it proper judgement.)

Also, seeing Squid Beakons makes me miss :wst_shot_quicklong01:.

Spaceswitchmars

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
_funmars
Switch Friend Code
SW-0556-1305-6031
For Ninja Squid, I love the ability, but I've found that I really only benefit from it on the heavies. Dynamo being a big one. With the fast weapons, I've found the extra swim speed up is nicer than the ninja. Sploosh, krak-on, carbon, and my speed-loaded tuber all seem to benefit from sharking and flanking RAPIDLY. Sure they see your splash, but it's hard to train on targets moving that fast. In the heat of battle a small fast moving target might as well be invisible. Meanwhile if I'm trying to position to camp quietly, moving slow (not quite the old waggle ninja, but just moving slowly in painted ink is, of course, just as invisible as ninja. And ninja isn't invisible if you hit a pocket of enemy ink or dry land.
In S1, I really loved throwing a ton of swim speeds onto the luna and ambushing with that strategy, but it feels off with the luna in S2. Somehow, I never feel quite as fast as I felt in S1... plus the main ink consumption issue it now has means that an ink main up ability is kind of necessary.

At any rate, I used that same strategy you mentioned, but for the luna and S1. Can't hit what's too fast to hit.

the

Inkling Commander
So the tenta brella seems like it'll be a good support weapon with squid beakons... I happen to be working on a quick jump/squid beakon build right now

:3c

Green Waffles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
So the tenta brella seems like it'll be a good support weapon with squid beakons... I happen to be working on a quick jump/squid beakon build right now
Sub power up + :squidbeacon: > :ability_quicksuperjump: + :squidbeacon:
unless this is already what you were plotting xP

Reactions: the

Saber

NNID
Saber
Switch Friend Code
SW-0369-4203-0233
So far this is WHAT I am planning on running on tentabrella...
:ability_runspeed::ability_bombrange::ability_runspeed::ability_bombrange:
:ability_specialduration::ability_inksavermain::ability_inksavermain::ability_runspeed:
:ability_bombrange::ability_inksavermain::ability_inksavermain::ability_inksavermain:
The shoes are a work in progress but everything else is ready to go

Also @Award what I mean is both are weapons that have heavy end lag and though effective at times leaves you too vulnerable to be used often.

Lately I have found a new way to use the Nintendo app... I have been using it to figure out which weapons I hardly ever play (like flingza) and figuring out how to play them effectively in S+ matches. Painful at times but gives me a amusing challenge and is mostly rewarding.

Award

So far this is WHAT I am planning on running on tentabrella...
:ability_runspeed::ability_bombrange::ability_runspeed::ability_bombrange:
:ability_specialduration::ability_inksavermain::ability_inksavermain::ability_runspeed:
:ability_bombrange::ability_inksavermain::ability_inksavermain::ability_inksavermain:
The shoes are a work in progress but everything else is ready to go

Also @Award what I mean is both are weapons that have heavy end lag and though effective at times leaves you too vulnerable to be used often.

Lately I have found a new way to use the Nintendo app... I have been using it to figure out which weapons I hardly ever play (like flingza) and figuring out how to play them effectively in S+ matches. Painful at times but gives me a amusing challenge and is mostly rewarding.
Haha, yeah. Honestly I don't think I'll ever quite get the feel for the brellas in general. The whole "delay to deploy after firing but don't hold the shield too long" doesn't click with me. ARMS trained me to hold the shield until you see them flinch :P I end up losing my brella. And I'll never get the timing for it. That said, a longer range brella may make more sense to me than the close range one. I quite enjoy flanking brellas with my jet powered goo tuber :P l

FWIW I managed to run into an AMAZING tuber player in TW. I didn't friend him, but if you ever see him the name is "CocaCola(TM)" :P We had fun tuber vs tuber battles (and COMPLETELY ignored our team's turfing efforts :P ) a few rounds before he left. He usually won. He splatted me in mid-air when I was making unpredictable jumps more than once (unless it was lag and his screen showed me somewhere I wasn't...). Something I haven't managed with ANY charger since the S1 partial charge dmg++ builds, let alone with the tuber. First time I've seen a true eagle eye tuber player. I still suck with it, apparently :)

Spaceswitchmars

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
_funmars
Switch Friend Code
SW-0556-1305-6031
FWIW I managed to run into an AMAZING tuber player in TW. I didn't friend him, but if you ever see him the name is "CocaCola(TM)" :p We had fun tuber vs tuber battles (and COMPLETELY ignored our team's turfing efforts :p ) a few rounds before he left. He usually won. He splatted me in mid-air when I was making unpredictable jumps more than once (unless it was lag and his screen showed me somewhere I wasn't...). Something I haven't managed with ANY charger since the S1 partial charge dmg++ builds, let alone with the tuber. First time I've seen a true eagle eye tuber player. I still suck with it, apparently :)
Unless you're one of the absolute top players, there's always someone out there who uses one of your favorite weapons better than you do, and it's always humbling but (in a weird way) fun to go up against them. In the best cases, I learn new tricks from them. In the worst, I realize that I will never be physically capable of doing many of the things they do. It can often be like meeting your doppelganger... who is vastly more successful than you are.

Award

Unless you're one of the absolute top players, there's always someone out there who uses one of your favorite weapons better than you do, and it's always humbling but (in a weird way) fun to go up against them. In the best cases, I learn new tricks from them. In the worst, I realize that I will never be physically capable of doing many of the things they do. It can often be like meeting your doppelganger... who is vastly more successful than you are.
That's so true. And that last part.....I've no idea how some of those moves out there are possible....or more to the ability to track people as precisely as they do. I don't know if it's that my hands don't move at that speed or my brain that doesn't... :P

Berry

Senior Squid
NNID
BlazzBerry
That's so true. And that last part.....I've no idea how some of those moves out there are possible....or more to the ability to track people as precisely as they do. I don't know if it's that my hands don't move at that speed or my brain that doesn't... :p
Meeting someone using the weapon you love sort of makes the situation turn into a 1v1 duel to see who's better while in solo queue...at least in my experience too.

Seeing two of the same dualies fight is something I dont usually interrupt since its hilarious watching them roll around eachother.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Oh, definitely! Anytime I face off against a fellow Jet, it's a race to see who can annoy the other team more :P

Spaceswitchmars

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
_funmars
Switch Friend Code
SW-0556-1305-6031
Meeting someone using the weapon you love sort of makes the situation turn into a 1v1 duel to see who's better while in solo queue...at least in my experience too.

Seeing two of the same dualies fight is something I dont usually interrupt since its hilarious watching them roll around eachother.
I interrupt anyone who is my current weapon's kryptonite. I can't chance them coming back and murdering me if they're the one to survive. When I'm sporting a rapid blaster, you better believe I'm shooting at any dualies I see engaged in a 1v1.

EDIT: It's like that scene in Spiderman where he lets a robber go as revenge, but that robber later kills his uncle. I'm not chancing anyone coming back to ruin my life just because I wouldn't interfere.

Saber

NNID
Saber
Switch Friend Code
SW-0369-4203-0233
Well I definitely understand 1v1 I usually Don't get into many of them....unless they start squidbagging, cause once you start know that in spite of objective or time I will be solo targeting that player and squidbagging him til they respawn.
(Though at this point it has become a joke among people I frequently meet)

Also ran into Sendou a couple days ago tried to 1v1 (as a H-3 vs Jet), I lost horribly but made friends with him in the end.

@Award if you go to add friend and look up those you recently played with they will show up and you can add them

Spenstar

Inkling
NNID
SpenstarHD
So I decided to give Salmon run a serious try again, after playing it before and not really liking it, and holy carp am I sorry I neglected this mode before. I was having a blast as long as I wasnt loaned the Dynamo roller, and the rewards are amazing! The fact that 4000 gold is the default, "floor" reward, when getting that sum of cash is no small feat in the C+/B ranked modes Im in and in Turf Wars, that's pretty sweet. Though maybe I got lucky, seeing as the Classic Squiffer and Clash Blaster are probably the best Salmon Run weapons you can get in their respective classes

Reactions: the

Award

Well I definitely understand 1v1 I usually Don't get into many of them....unless they start squidbagging, cause once you start know that in spite of objective or time I will be solo targeting that player and squidbagging him til they respawn.
(Though at this point it has become a joke among people Ifrequently meet)

Also ran into Sendou a couple days ago tried to 1v1 (as a H-3 vs Jet), I lost horribly but made friends with him in the end.

@Award if you go to add friend and look up those you recently played with they will show up and you can add them
Yeah, I know that but I always feel weird friending randoms. And I've never actually accepted a random invite. I'm always flattered to receive one, I have like 2 dozen stored....but then when you friend a random you don't really know what they play, how they play, or why they actually want to friend you....they're just..."there"..... When you have people you more regularly play with it just seems kind of awkward when you can't actually communicate with them. I miss the WiiU feature of writing a quick "tweet" sized message of why you want to friend them.

Cyan

Inkling Commander

Another not new weapon this week! Rapid Blaster Pro is the next to drop, bringing a kit of Toxic Mist and Ink Storm. Now personally I'm pretty happy with this release as it has a kit that I feel could be really fun to use and effective, because Toxic Mist only seems to work well with the Jet Squelcher, a weapon with the range to act on the area in mist. I've always loved Ink Storm too, it gets too many splats with the rapid passive damage too so combining that with a rapid firing blast that travels further than the regular Rapid could be devasatating, even more so when throwing Toxic Mist too. This could be an evil weapon for sure.

Of course this is yet another juke out by Nintendo with the Tenta Brella. There's always next week (actually it's never coming out)! :P

ForteReborn

Inkling Commander
NNID
ForteReborn
Switch Friend Code
SW-5389-7346-0792

From a new weapon to a the latest merchandise, I feel rather spoiled at this point. But from what I am seeing, the figures do not look poseble as I hardly see any joints, and I am also slightly underwhelm that the males only come with hoodies. (I want my inky rider.)

Sorry if my post only consist of updates, I just haven't been in a total mood to talk in general, but I felt like showing this off either way.

(Oops, someone beat me too it! I apologize.)

Spaceswitchmars

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
_funmars
Switch Friend Code
SW-0556-1305-6031
I seriously almost cried seeing that the pro is dropping. Maybe I have too high of expectations, but this is my perfect weapon... My favorite gun with more range (which I've been dying for). My favorite sub. My favorite special. I've been waiting for this gun since the game came out. Jesus bless.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom