• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Splatoon 2: Find Out What's Fresh! (General Discussion)

What are you most excited about for Splatoon 2?

• New Weapons

Votes: 8 7.9%
  • New Stages

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • New Specials

Votes: 3 3.0%
  • New Character Customization Options

Votes: 16 15.8%
  • New Modes

Votes: 9 8.9%
  • The Return of Old Stuff (Stages, Weapons, etc.)

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • EVERYTHING!!!

Votes: 55 54.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Spaceswitchmars

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
_funmars
Switch Friend Code
SW-0556-1305-6031
That looks like the typical lag I get when my internet screws up, so I don't really see how that has anything to do with the stage?

But Re:Splatfest. This is actually a pretty bad theme. In the UK warm breakfasts are pretty common, right? But I think that for most other EU countries, certainly the Netherlands, nobody eats a warm breakfast.
Also, why in the hell are croissants on the cold side!?
A lot of people eat croissants at room temperature, but:

1. Those people are bad people and should be thrown in prison.
2. Room temp isn't the same as cold, so your point still stands.

I have so many problems with this Splatfest. I don't know what I'm going to do if that's the NA one.

IHaveAToaster

Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-4526-2274-0616
Thoughts on this theme fellow European players and your team decision?
I think Nintendo are trying to give me a digital existential crisis.

My username would imply I love hot breakfasts, but it's actually quite the opposite. Maybe I should just abstain? I'll have a lot of games to play by the time the Splatfest arrives.

This is actually a pretty bad theme.
Really? This theme is freaking amazing, considering our last theme was about which way round you put your flaming bog roll on the holder.

MINKUKEL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I think Nintendo are trying to give me a digital existential crisis.

My username would imply I love hot breakfasts, but it's actually quite the opposite. Maybe I should just abstain? I'll have a lot of games to play by the time the Splatfest arrives.
I'd at least vote something to get a handful of snails
Really? This theme is freaking amazing, considering our last theme was about which way round you put your flaming bog roll on the holder.
Warm breakfast isn't a thing everywhere in Europe, so for some countries there is no actual choice.
There are so many food-themed ones that would make sense all over the world, but they had to go with this one.
I'm sure that it will be a popular choice for people in countries that actually do warm breakfasts, so it'll probably balance out, but it's still kind of stupid they're not even giving some people an acual relevant choice.

Spaceswitchmars

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
_funmars
Switch Friend Code
SW-0556-1305-6031
Warm breakfast isn't a thing everywhere in Europe, so for some countries there is no actual choice.

There are so many food-themed ones that would make sense all over the world, but they had to go with this one.
I'm sure that it will be a popular choice for people in countries that actually do warm breakfasts, so it'll probably balance out, but it's still kind of stupid they're not even giving some people an acual relevant choice.
If this is the thing that wakes people up to the concept of warm breakfast and gets them interested in trying out some pancakes, waffles, french toast or eggs-anything, it's a job well done.

Nintendo may be doing a public service, opening minds to new breakfast realities.

MINKUKEL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pancakes is friggin' dinner where I live, that's how non-relevant this Splatfest is for me.

Toast and eggs are more lunch or brunch foods. Breakfast is either cereal or just good ol' bread+butter+meat/chocolate/jam/cheese.

Green Waffles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
A lot of people eat croissants at room temperature, but:

1. Those people are bad people and should be thrown in prison. . .

Also having blackbelly back, despite the changes, really shows me the splat1 vets from the splat 2 squids.
Some ranked matches get floored when one team has one or more who know how to flank and defend mid while the other team seems to flounder about.

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
Unless there's something I don't know about, why would you eat croissants cold?! Room temperature is mildly okay if they're already cooled down or you can't heat it at the time, I guess.

I don't like like how Blackbelly Skatepark feels so much smaller, and that lefthand corner with the uninkable blocks annoys me! Meanwhile, I'm not sure if the lags and teammate disconnects I'm experiencing are still the curse of the stage, the game in general, or just both. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Woomyapple

Full Squid
NNID
Apple
Switch Friend Code
SW-2793-7212-9515
I think Blackbelly's a fine Turf War stage, but in Ranked it's small size is VERY obvious and that's always pissed me off... Also the tower. You know you've most likely won once you get on top of that tower.

Clawford

Full Squid
NNID
Clawford
splat1 vet here and I still hate blackbelly with the white hot passion of a thousand suns.

Turf: ok team let me ink the left side of the tower and watch for flanks. *gets splatted by wr holding roller or inkbrush by the box*

Ranked; well I haven't played a ranked game on blackbelly yet. But I imagine it will probably involve some sprinklers, brushes and inkstorm/missile spam at the tower.

Flopps

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-3195-9273-4326
splat1 vet here and I still hate blackbelly with the white hot passion of a thousand suns.

Turf: ok team let me ink the left side of the tower and watch for flanks. *gets splatted by wr holding roller or inkbrush by the box*

Ranked; well I haven't played a ranked game on blackbelly yet. But I imagine it will probably involve some sprinklers, brushes and inkstorm/missile spam at the tower.
Also Splat1 vet here. I rekt everyone with the Brella 'cause I know all the tricks. Funn(i)est part is when I'm on the central tower and someone tries to come up to me. I just jump off and splat 'em!

Saber

NNID
Saber
Switch Friend Code
SW-0369-4203-0233

Actually TC involves 3 nzaps spamming ink armor to indefinitely hold the tower....
Again though I defend this map cause TC though a lot more difficult can still be won as long as the whole team isn't wiped and they focus right lane, rainmaker I haven't dared to look at due to how unbalanced it was.

And splat zones, this was always the most entertaining part of this stage simply cause you could use anything, and have a lot of fun on this stage nonetheless.

People keep grieving this stage but again this stage was a really enjoyable stage for me cause it was the first that encouraged players to use caution and not rush in.
Again some of this is personal attachment to a stage I basically went S to S+ on through many difficult battles
Also it isn't the dead sea that is saltspray I hope and beg they fix how unbalanced that map was along all it's modes cause I really cannot stand it, and fix moray too while you're at it

Berry

Senior Squid
NNID
BlazzBerry
... seems some things never change... well then, guess our final Halloween treat really is Lagberry Saltpark.
People liked "this" stage in splat 1.

I can re-read my own sentence and it still doesn't make sense. Scratching my head over this stage being brought back.

Danku

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-6239-2879-4288
Personally, I dislike the new Blackbelly. Once again as with most Splatoon 2 stages, there's just too much dang visibility to encourage overaggressive plays. I seriously don't appreciate how they got rid of some of the walls that could be used as cover. Seems like this stage really got the Splatoon 2 treatment. Just remake it to have more visibility so players can be more aggressive and make pacifism extremely difficult in Turf Wars. What's a man gotta do to get the old Splatoon 1 feeling again? ;A;

Ansible

Community Ambassador
Yeah, I know some liked the stage—even I'm fond of the Splat Zones version, but it still had it flaws for me. Like how easy it was to spawncamp and even once someone broke a spawncamp it was always highly unlikely a successful comeback could ever happen. Especially if the spawncamped team suffered a disconnect. And in my experiences this the stage is where lag spikes and disconnects were most likely to happen to anyone. Especially when multiple players have a bomb rush special and/or inkstrikes. Even in private battles.

It's an okay map, just prone to technical difficulties.

So far I've only played the turf war version, and it isn't as prone to the usual technical difficulties yet it still does happen. However, this time around I'm not sure if that's still because of the stage or the game itself. Either way, I've yet to fully experience version 2.0 of this map.

MINKUKEL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I've played the stage a whole bunch since it released, and I have experienced no lag whatsoever. Neither in the other stages that were in rotation, so it must be something on your end.

Ansible

Community Ambassador
Again, the times I have played the new version I've rarely run into issues compared to the version in the first game. And ranked mode might be even smoother than turf. Yet I'm doubtful it's something often on my end as I'm not the one disconnecting and not the only one fighting an unresponsive, teleporting player.

Award

Does it count as PTSD if every time someone jumps from the tower I instinctively run for cover from the pending inkzooka?

Yep, this map sure shows the S1 players..... :P

Actually TC involves 3 nzaps spamming ink armor to indefinitely hold the tower....
Again though I defend this map cause TC though a lot more difficult can still be won as long as the whole team isn't wiped and they focus right lane, rainmaker I haven't dared to look at due to how unbalanced it was.

And splat zones, this was always the most entertaining part of this stage simply cause you could use anything, and have a lot of fun on this stage nonetheless.

People keep grieving this stage but again this stage was a really enjoyable stage for me cause it was the first that encouraged players to use caution and not rush in.
Again some of this is personal attachment to a stage I basically went S to S+ on through many difficult battles
Also it isn't the dead sea that is saltspray I hope and beg they fix how unbalanced that map was along all it's modes cause I really cannot stand it, and fix moray too while you're at it
SZ on this map was my first breakthrough in Splatzones, when I first switch from aerospray/nzap to carbon roller in the low ranks in S1. And perching on the right side in this map is where I most remember first learning to love eliter and getting addicted to the game. That said, I still detest this map. :P I may like it more than Walleye Warehouse and Port Mackerel. MAYBE even Ancho-V. But it's certainly the bottom tier of maps to me.

And Moray *IS* "fixed." That's the whole problem! :P

Personally, I dislike the new Blackbelly. Once again as with most Splatoon 2 stages, there's just too much dang visibility to encourage overaggressive plays. I seriously don't appreciate how they got rid of some of the walls that could be used as cover. Seems like this stage really got the Splatoon 2 treatment. Just remake it to have more visibility so players can be more aggressive and make pacifism extremely difficult in Turf Wars. What's a man gotta do to get the old Splatoon 1 feeling again? ;A;
I imagine getting rid of the walls was part of fixing the lag problems. Less clipping planes = less data. I suspect a big part of the problem of bad maps in Splatoon 2 in general is that they've removed more clipping planes to fix lag problems instead of fixing their broken netcode. Except Moray where they somehow added more... I.E. the meta has been formed by their clumsy, heavy handed attempt to put a bandaid on their severely bad netcode. And I suspect delaying the online paid service if they really area planning dedicated servers has caused the meta to unfold differently than they intended when it was supposd to be paid by the time the game launched. (IF the dedicated server rumor is true.) If so the meta will do a total 180 with some patch shortly following said servers going live.

Yeah, I know some liked the stage—even I'm fond of the Splat Zones version, but it still had it flaws for me. Like how easy it was to spawncamp and even once someone broke a spawncamp it was always highly unlikely a successful comeback could ever happen. Especially if the spawncamped team suffered a disconnect. And in my experiences this the stage is where lag spikes and disconnects were most likely to happen to anyone. Especially when multiple players have a bomb rush special and/or inkstrikes. Even in private battles.

It's an okay map, just prone to technical difficulties.

So far I've only played the turf war version, and it isn't as prone to the usual technical difficulties yet it still does happen. However, this time around I'm not sure if that's still because of the stage or the game itself. Either way, I've yet to fully experience version 2.0 of this map.
I worry at times that the things we liked about the game were in fact unintentional designs and the things we disliked were how they actually intend it to play. I.E. I worry S1 was fun in spite of the producer, and not because of him and we're actually now playing his real intentions.

I've played the stage a whole bunch since it released, and I have experienced no lag whatsoever. Neither in the other stages that were in rotation, so it must be something on your end.
Not sure if you saw my lengthy post last week or so about lag, but keep in mind you're in EU. When you hear people complaining about lag, a big chunk of that is going to be coming from NoA and associated territories. And a big reason for that is, beyond our overall inferior internet infrastructure in the US, while you have regional servers and are playing only with EU/UK/ME/Afr, relatively close geographical area, we on the other hand still have worldwide play, because the way Nintendo distribution works, most of the world is "NoA". So US, CA, and S. America, sure, but we're alsy playing with the Carribbean, Australia, NZ, and most of Asia including Korea, China, Singapore, Malaysia, etc who don't actually get official distributions and so they import the Aus version which is the NoA version. Remember the lag with the Japanese players included? We still have that, just not from Japan anymore, but from every country off their coast except Taiwan that for some reason got the Japanese version. NoA will always have a much worse online experience than EU with Nintendo games. The farthest distance you have to connect to is pretty much Capetown to London. We're dealing with Seoul to Sydney to NYC. So our everyday lag is awful, but then certain bad maps and such exacerbate it. Blackbelly is one such map, though it doesn't appear to be as bad as it was in S1. Of course if playing with friends in NoA you get to participate in the fun :P

Spaceswitchmars

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
_funmars
Switch Friend Code
SW-0556-1305-6031
I may like it more than Walleye Warehouse and Port Mackerel. MAYBE even Ancho-V. But it's certainly the bottom tier of maps to me.
Man, I love you, but anyone who doesn't like Walleye Warehouse is clearly an enemy to humankind and should be thrown in prison for life. There is only one truth in this world -- everything else is subjective -- and that truth is that Walleye is a great map. I won't hear otherwise. The FBI should be at your door shortly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom