Splatoon: Anxiety From Killing Noobies

Airi

Inkling Commander
NNID
radiorabbits
Meh? This has been a notable problem for my squad ever since I nabbed S rank and has only just started alleviating a bit in the past month (this was back in Nov., a majortiy of da team was B+/A- and one C, now we're all A/S and a B-)
It seems that I get the opposite of a lot of complaints I hear and read here. Splatoon match making program is wiggidy wiggidy wacked yo <_>
I think we're having opposite experiences. xD It was never really a big problem in the past; just like every once in a while but in the last few weeks, it's started becoming really common. The other night, I was playing with friends and we were all S/S+... We had six all mostly B or A rank squads in a row... o_O At some point, you have to start wondering if Splatoon is feeling okay when it does that. xD Lucky for them, we were all being stupid and using Bamboozlers so it made us a little less dangerous towards them. x3

«◆Johηηγ◆»

Full Squid
Ah, yeah. I wasn't ultimately meaning "go after the new players specifically!" I just meant that I don't usually see people going easy on new players in general, they just keep playing like normal. Nobody really went easy on me when I first got the game after all, so I honestly didn't think anyone cared about that and that you learn through hard practice and a lot of loss and dying in the game. To be honest, I'm realizing now that I worded my post last night incredibly poorly- as a casual player I don't know why I thought it was ok to talk about the competitiveness of the game. In general, I personally do try to play even more casually than normal especially when new players are involved, but that really wasn't how it was for me when I first got the game as I stated earlier.

Even then, the newer players deserve more respect. I apologize again for my rude remark from last night.
Just because no one else does it doesn't mean you can't try to be considerate..

Also @Airi I'm a Rank B lol

«◆Johηηγ◆»

Full Squid
Also in the Nintendo direct that first introduced Splatoon to the general public, they informed users that some inklings prefer to avoid battle and ink turf instead.. Also known as "Hide and go Ink" lol

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
Now with the memes storming in, might aswell voice my more serious opinion on the matter:

It's real easy to forget that in a game geared towards kids where everyone is more or less anonymous, that there are actual children playing this game alongside with us (persumably) adults. This 'survival of the fittest' saying just doesn't hold any water when you're a grown adult with persumably years of gaming experience beating up groups of new meat, people who aren't just new to splatoon but also to gaming. For the newbie it's such an insurmountable challenge to take on pros directly that they don't learn anything, you learn things by taking challenges that are slightly above your skill level and then go your way up. This way, you approach the subject in a fun, interesting and especially comprehensible fasion and you get better over time.
Going straight from C vs S+ is like tasking someone who never held a pencil in a life to recreate an entire Salvador Dali painting to perfection, it's just not going to work and the only thing that person's going to learn is to drop the pencil and stop drawing forever.

And what if it's an actual newbie who's also an adult in real life? Wow, that might've been you!

Flammie

Inkling Cadet
NNID
FlammieLL
In case i've been put in a low level room, i always do my best to improve the morale of my own team.
I Could either let down mu opponents or my own teammates.

So it's just the matter on who you support, pity the enemy? or stand by your team?

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
In case i've been put in a low level room, i always do my best to improve the morale of my own team.
I Could either let down mu opponents or my own teammates.

So it's just the matter on who you support, pity the enemy? or stand by your team?
Depending on how low level the room, you can still support your team by doing close to nothing. It's been done to me on both sides. I've tried it before too.

For example, twirling in place or running circles around an object while inking everything in the vicinity, but still splating anyone who nears. Or stand in place or walk back and forth, in plain view, then splat anyone who takes the bait. Maybe even ink laps around the map the entire match, splat anyone trying to stop you, and if you respawn just return where you last were. And there's also fighting only with your subs and/or special.

Mr. 9

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
interesting_deal
Well I might be all alone on this, but I’m actually surprised to hear that you guys come across noobs anymore. In ranked I’d argue that anyone above B can’t really be called a noob (I keep an alt around B+ level, so I have a decent idea of the skill level of players around that rank).

In TW I’m almost 100% sure that there is a hidden ranking system designed to group players of similar skill. For example, when I started my alt account I was paired with noobs initially, but after a few ridiculous KDR and total point performances I was being paired with all level 50s by the time I was rank 4. Other people on here have experienced the same thing. So now if I see anyone with a low rank in TW I just assume they are on an alt, and if I come across them one of us is going in the dirt…

I don't squad, so if that's were people are still seeing noobs then that makes sense to me.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Now with the memes storming in, might aswell voice my more serious opinion on the matter:

It's real easy to forget that in a game geared towards kids where everyone is more or less anonymous, that there are actual children playing this game alongside with us (persumably) adults. This 'survival of the fittest' saying just doesn't hold any water when you're a grown adult with persumably years of gaming experience beating up groups of new meat, people who aren't just new to splatoon but also to gaming. For the newbie it's such an insurmountable challenge to take on pros directly that they don't learn anything, you learn things by taking challenges that are slightly above your skill level and then go your way up. This way, you approach the subject in a fun, interesting and especially comprehensible fasion and you get better over time.
Going straight from C vs S+ is like tasking someone who never held a pencil in a life to recreate an entire Salvador Dali painting to perfection, it's just not going to work and the only thing that person's going to learn is to drop the pencil and stop drawing forever.

And what if it's an actual newbie who's also an adult in real life? Wow, that might've been you!
On the other side of the coin, many Japanese S+ elite squids are in the 3rd to 5th grade over there. Age really isn't a factor when it comes to video game competence, because they might be less mature than us but they have FAR more time to devote to becoming a master squid kid. I don't really agree with this argument, heck, I've probably upset some kids just playing as normal in high-level ranked matches. Maturity does not equal skill in vidya garms, a lot of them certainly have better reaction times :P

Airi

Inkling Commander
NNID
radiorabbits
A lot of people try to act like Splatoon's fandom is much better than other shooter's because we're a Nintendo base but.... Honestly? We're not. It may sound harsh but Splatoon is a shooter game. It's for that reason that Splatoon will and does attract people who simply have no concept of being a decent person. Every shooter has those players who won't take it easy on anyone - even if the match is extremely unfair in say a 2v4. Thanks to Splatoon's fantastic servers, I've had matches like that and there is always that one player who simply doesn't understand the concept of mercy or decency. We have those players; every shooter has those players.

Plus there's those players who get beat a lot themselves and have to make themselves feel better by beating on the players who can't fight them back. :)

I guess the point is that we can't really ever get rid of the people who will slaughter the newbies - sometimes even creating new accounts to purposefully harass new players. The only thing we can do is be decent players ourselves and have some compassion when necessary. To make up for the players who are on the other side of the spectrum in a way. c:

This entire thread is actually reminding me of how this community acted around Christmas time. It was very split over people who were planning on being more passive for the new players and those who were planning on "enjoying" killing them just because they could. x)

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
A lot of people try to act like Splatoon's fandom is much better than other shooter's because we're a Nintendo base but.... Honestly? We're not. It may sound harsh but Splatoon is a shooter game. It's for that reason that Splatoon will and does attract people who simply have no concept of being a decent person. Every shooter has those players who won't take it easy on anyone - even if the match is extremely unfair in say a 2v4. Thanks to Splatoon's fantastic servers, I've had matches like that and there is always that one player who simply doesn't understand the concept of mercy or decency. We have those players; every shooter has those players.

Plus there's those players who get beat a lot themselves and have to make themselves feel better by beating on the players who can't fight them back. :)

I guess the point is that we can't really ever get rid of the people who will slaughter the newbies - sometimes even creating new accounts to purposefully harass new players. The only thing we can do is be decent players ourselves and have some compassion when necessary. To make up for the players who are on the other side of the spectrum in a way. c:

This entire thread is actually reminding me of how this community acted around Christmas time. It was very split over people who were planning on being more passive for the new players and those who were planning on "enjoying" killing them just because they could. x)
Well yeah. Online competitive communities are eternally scum. We here at squidboards behave better than most, but the crowd over at Gamefaqs is a better indication of the general fanbase.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom