• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

[SPOILERS] Unlockable Weapons in Splatoon 2 Revealed!

shani

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
shani_ace
@MindWanderer Yep, I can confirm that Thermal Ink only works with your main. I tried this out a few days ago and was disappointed that I can't track enemies with burst bombs. :(

According to the document, the Custom Jet Squelcher gets Burst Bombs and Stingray.
Oh no! The Stingray is by far the most useless special in the whole game! :( But at least it has Burst Bombs, I love those!
Well, the normal Jet Squelcher has a sub that uses too much ink and the second most useless special in the game, while the Custom Jet Quelcher has one of my favourite subs and the most useless special in the game. That's a hard choice...

I wish the Custom Jet had ANY other special honestly
Yeah, me too! I even would've taken the Tenta Missiles, which I find almost as useless as the Sting Ray (but still a little bit better). Kinda disappointed how they treat this weapon...

Silxer

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Dan1771
@MindWanderer Yep, I can confirm that Thermal Ink only works with your main. I tried this out a few days ago and was disappointed that I can't track enemies with burst bombs. :(

Oh no! The Stingray is by far the most useless special in the whole game! :( But at least it has Burst Bombs, I love those!
Well, the normal Jet Squelcher has a sub that uses too much ink and the second most useless special in the game, while the Custom Jet Quelcher has one of my favourite subs and the most useless special in the game. That's a hard choice...

Yeah, me too! I even would've taken the Tenta Missiles, which I find almost as useless as the Sting Ray (but still a little bit better). Kinda disappointed how they treat this weapon...
Honestly, I like Tenta Missiles. More so on weapons who can ink quickly, thus getting the special faster.

I like Tenta Missiles as it forces the enemy to move and the fact that you can still see the target enemies a couple of seconds after you use the missiles is pretty nice as it's pretty much a mini-point sensor.

Overall I find Tenta Missiles to be a pretty decent special, and it can be pretty annoying to deal with when the enemy team has multiple weapons that can charge Tenta Missles quickly (like the splat duelies for example).

Danku

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-6239-2879-4288
Honestly, I like Tenta Missiles. More so on weapons who can ink quickly, thus getting the special faster.

I like Tenta Missiles as it forces the enemy to move and the fact that you can still see the target enemies a couple of seconds after you use the missiles is pretty nice as it's pretty much a mini-point sensor.

Overall I find Tenta Missiles to be a pretty decent special, and it can be pretty annoying to deal with when the enemy team has multiple weapons that can charge Tenta Missles quickly (like the splat duelies for example).
Same here, the tenta missiles are a total joy for me. The displacing of enemies, shooting them in a firefight to swing things in your team's favor, shooting them at the tower in TC, or shooting it at the enemy spawn when you get a team wipe. It's underwhelming at first, but once you understand the things it's capable of doing, it's wonderful. I love it.

shani

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
shani_ace
@Danku I'm confused, what do you mean by 'shooting at enemies'? You can't shoot directly at enemies with the Missiles, only shoot at the position they were at ages ago. Nobody in their right mind stays at their position for that long and even if they did, it takes almost no effort to swim away for a second.

I like Tenta Missiles as it forces the enemy to move
Exactly, that'a the only thing they achieve at best! So that's why they're pretty useless in my opinion. Whenever I see that the Missiles are aimed at my position, I just swim a few meters away and then swim back or whereever I need to be next. Enemy Tenta Missiles have no impact on my game whatsoever.

The only time when you actually splat someone with the Missiles is when someone accidentially moved into the missile zone or when they maneuvered themselves into a tight spot covered by enemy ink. But at tuat point, they probably would've been splatted anyway.

In other words: Tenta Missiles can only have an effect when luck or incompetence of your opponents is involved. Otherwise they're pretty worthless in comparison to the other specials.
Having a team with multiple Tenta Missiles seems very pointless and
Irresponsible to me. It's a total waste of ressources.

Last edited:

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
@Danku I'm confused, what do you mean by 'shooting at enemies'? You can't shoot directly at enemies with the Missiles, only shoot at the position they were at ages ago. Nobody in their right mind stays at their position for that long and even if they did, it takes almost no effort to swim away for a second.

Exactly, that'a the only thing they achieve at best! So that's why they're pretty useless in my opinion. Whenever I aee thatthe Missiles are aimed at my position, I just swim a few meters away and then swim back or whereever I need to be. Enemy Tenta Missiles have no impact on my game whatsoever.

The only time when you actually splat someone with the Missiles is when someone accidentially moved into the missile zone or when they maneuvered themselves into a tight spot covered by enemy ink. But at tuat point, they probably would've been splatted anyway.

In other words: Tenta Missiles can only have an effect by sheer luck or stupidit of your enemy. Otherwise they're pretty worthless in comparison to the other specials.
Having a team with multiple Tenta Missiles seems very pointless and
Irrespinsible to me. It's a total waste of ressources.
If the enemy is climbing a wall, jumping, fighting an enemy, or in any way engaged in a way that does not allow immediate movement, tenta missiles can be deadly. You're severely underestimating them.

shani

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
shani_ace
If the enemy is climbing a wall, jumping, fighting an enemy, or in any way engaged in a way that does not allow immediate movement, tenta missiles can be deadly. You're severely underestimating them.
Are we really talking about the same special? If the enemy is climbing a wall, jumping, fighting an enemy they still have plenty of time to evade after the bullseye shows up for the first time.
It's not like the missiles hit them rightaway, it takes several seconds. I think you overestimating how quickly they arrive. ^^

On the other hand, if they're engaged in a fight, chances of them getting splatted are generally higher anyway, no matter by what weapon. You could achieve the same thing by temporarily joining your teammate, creating a 2vs1 and shooting at the opponent with your main or sub weapon.

Ideally you'll want your special to add something to your game, not do something that would've happened anyway or could've been achieved with your other weapons.
Take Ink Armour for example: none of your weapons can shield you from attacks. Or the Inkjet: None of your weapons can make you fly. Or the Splashdown: none of your weapons can make such a big, deadly and immediate Splash (or let the Rainmaker shield explode instantly).

Last edited:

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Are we really talking about the same special? If the enemy is climbing a wall, jumping, fighting an enemy they still have plenty of time to evade after the bullseye shows up for the first time.
It's not like the missiles hit them rightaway, it takes several seconds. I think you overestimating how quickly they arrive. ^^

On the other hand, if they're engaged in a fight, chances of them getting splatted are generally higher anyway, no matter by what weapon. You could achieve the same thing by temporarily joining your teammate, creating a 2vs1 and shooting at the opponent with your main or sub weapon.
You seem pretty opinionated and I doubt anyone will change your mind, but regardless, the bullseye only means they are on the way, they don't actually target until it's gone, at which point they are overhead. See for yourself on the firing range. They do up to 150 damage and can be launched from anywhere on the map. That's also discounting the echolocator effect that's in place until the missiles land. Let me ask you, are you seriously saying that you find zero tactical value in all of this?

shani

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
shani_ace
Let me ask you, are you seriously saying that you find zero tactical value in all of this?
Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying.
And my opinion is based on my experience on both ends. Either as someone who uses them (Dual Squelcher and Jet Squelcher are some of my favourite weapons) or as someone who constantly evades them.

I really don't see the tactical value of a weapon that only splats you in 2% of all cases and doesn't do anything else. Forcing you to move for one or two meters for one second is no a tactical advantage. If you time your evasion right, your game isn't affected by this. I never went 'damn, those Missiles kept me away from the objective' because that never happened so far.

I only got splatted twice so far, once because I arrived exactly when the missiles dropped (meaning I wasn't there to see the warning) and once because I was in a really tight spot, carrying the pretty immobile Rainmaker and the way was blocked). But I've probably evaded them more than a hundred times already.
Similarly, I only splatted someone three times and I'm pretty sure it happened by accident or because they didn't keep track of their surroundings.
It's like someone who gets hit by a car because they didn't look at the street before crossing it. You wouldn't credit the driver for taking such good aim now, would you? You would call it an accident, caused by the inattentiveness of the passenger.

Let me ask you this: against what kind of players are you successful with the Missiles? Could it be that you're just splating some inexperienced newcomers who haven't played the original and therefore aren't that quick to evade the missiles?
I mean come on, it really takes ages for them to drop. I could go check my mails in the meantime. ;)
If you wouldn't get a warning beforehand, now this would be a totally different matter. But you always get warned right when they're targeted at you and have plenty of time to evade.

Last edited:

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Let me ask you this: against what kind of players are you successful with the Missiles? Could it be that you're just splating some inexperienced newcomers who haven't played the original and therefore aren't that quick to evade the missiles?
I mean come on, it really takes ages for them to drop. I could go check my mails in the meantime. ;)
If you wouldn't get a warning beforehand, now this would be a totally different matter. But you always get warned right when they're targeted at you and have plenty of time to evade.
I have both personally splatted and witnessed splattings of S+ players with the tenta missiles. I also notice that you said absolutely nothing about knowing the enemy's location for the duration. But, like I said, opinionated, what with those emoticons so I'll leave it at that since the best we can do is agree to disagree.

shani

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
shani_ace
@Dessgeega I saw that remark but don't really get what you mean. What echolocator effect? You mean that targeting symbol while the missiles are up in the air? I don't really need that and the duration is way too short (in comparison to Point Sensor/Echolocator) anyway. And I'm saying that as someone who used the Echolocator a lot in the original. I still use the Point Sensors on the Dualie Squelcher and Splattershot Pro. Are you even aware that the Dualie Squelcher has the Point Sensors and the Tenta Missiles? What do I need the Missiles' location effect for when I have the Point Sensors?

Besides, since using Tenta Missiles only makes sense for enemies that are far away, (otherwise they would splat you before you can even launch them), the location effect only applies to distant enemies, which isn't all that useful due to the short duration. And if I'm not mistaken, you're the only one who sees their location, right? Echolocator, Point Sensors and Haunt at least reveal the location for your whole team.

BTW I used exactly one smiley, so I don't know where the plural in 'emoticon(s)' comes from. I also don't get what it has to do with being opinionated. Emoticons are there to clarify how something is meant (because text lacks the accentuation that spoken language has), not to identify an opinionated message.

And agreeing to disagree is the only thing we can do. It wasn't really my goal to change anyone's mind anyway. You have to realize that for yourself or just be fine with it and enjoy the Tenta Missiles, no one can tell you how to play or enjoy the game. :) Originally (post #61) I just voiced my opinion about the Tenta Missiles without any other agenda behind it. It was you guys who then tried to convince me otherwise, remember?

MindWanderer

Inkling Commander
NNID
MindWanderer
Switch Friend Code
SW-5961-6763-3987
It's not like the missiles hit them rightaway, it takes several seconds. I think you overestimating how quickly they arrive.
There are two stages to the targeting, the light bullseye that means the missile-user is pointing at you, and the dark spot that means it's on the way. Most people turn the special on, then look around, maybe back up a little, to try to get the "perfect" shot. The target's getting the initial warning the whole time. When they just activate and fire right away, the amount of warning is quite brief, and if you're on a wall or in a firefight, it can often be deadly.

shani

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
shani_ace
There are two stages to the targeting, the light bullseye that means the missile-user is pointing at you, and the dark spot that means it's on the way.
Yes I'm aware of that. It's what I'm talking about the whole time. There shouldn't be two phases. There shouldn't even be any phase. It should just immediately hit when you push the right stick. Otherwise it's completely ineffective.

Most people turn the special on, then look around, maybe back up a little, to try to get the "perfect" shot.
I do the exact opposite. I activate the special and immediately fire away. No point in waiting for anything, just getting it over with to concentrate on the match. The Missiles basically just distract me from that and interrupt my whole flow.

When they just activate and fire right away, the amount of warning is quite brief, and if you're on a wall or in a firefight, it can often be deadly.
Well at least I have never seen/experienced what you're describing there (neither as a victim nor an attacker). Maybe other squids are more vulnerable to this, but it still doesn't work in the Missiles' favour. It only reveals those player's lack of awareness and agility.

Just to be clear: I'm not assuming anything or making this up. This comes directly from my own experience so far. I'm talking about cold hard stats, basically. I could lay down the controller every time a Missile doesn't hit (or does hit) and write it down, but that would take the fun out of the game (and probably hurt my team ^^).

But if you guys enjoy the Missiles, that's fine. For me they are useless though. And I just find it really annoying that so many weapons have them as their special. Such a waste in my opinion.
Don't want to unnecessarily drag out a pointless argument where everyone sticks to their view though. :) After all, this thread is about all the weapons and this discussion only started because of a side note of mine.

Last edited:

MindWanderer

Inkling Commander
NNID
MindWanderer
Switch Friend Code
SW-5961-6763-3987
There shouldn't even be any phase. It should just immediately hit when you push the right stick.
I'm sorry, what? You want to be able to push the stick and everyone you're targeting immediately explodes and dies? That can't be what you meant. There has to be at least some warning.

My own experience is that I get caught in them quite often when I'm already engaged in a battle or dealing with someone else's Special, or when my allies are also being targeted and we accidentally cross paths and get killed by each others' missiles. And when I use them, trying to target enemies that are doing more than just advancing from spawn or inking their home territory, I get at least one kill more often than not.

shani

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
shani_ace
@MindWanderer Ok maybe that was a bit misleading. No of course I don't want my targets to immediately get splatted! That would be just as imbalanced as it is right now. I thought this goes without saying.

But there shouldn't be such an obvious warning and it should go a lot faster. The delay should be similar to specials like Splashdown (or Ink Amrour, which also has a delay), for example. It's short but still barely enough to get away if you react quickly.

Or take Its predecessor: The Inkstrike had no warning and it was still not that deadly. It was mainly useful to ink the ground in TW.
Now they went from a special that wasn't really dangerous to a weapon that even warns you and therefore is less dangerous.
Removing the warning wouldn't make it as deadly as you think. It's ridiculous really, no other special warns its target beforehand.

It amazes me though how everyone agrees that the Stingray is useless but not so many people complain about the Tenta Missiles. Both have in common that it's really easy to evade them unless you're busy otherwise (and again, if that's the case, this is not a general plus factor for the special, it's just circumstance - splatting someone who's already under heavy fire is not a great achievement, it's just a splat waiting to happen).

Last edited:
Switch Friend Code
SW-7067-7083-1429
@MindWanderer
Or take Its predecessor: The Inkstrike had no warning and it was still not that deadly.
The Inkstrike did have a warning though... Ignore the Killer Wail warning over it.

@MindWanderer It amazes me though how everyone agrees that the Stingray is useless but not so many people complain about the Tenta Missiles. Both have in common that it's really easy to evade them unless you're busy otherwise.
The main difference here is ease of use. The Stingray is obnoxiously hard to control, and for very little reward, doing less damage per tick than an Aerospray. You also have to be actively engaged the whole time the special is going, whereas with the Missiles, it's as simple as locking on to someone and firing. You then have the freedom to go about whatever you want to do as the Missiles come down, like using them as a distraction to splat your target, should the Missiles not do that on their own.

The Tenta Missiles particularly shine at times when the other team is clustered close together. 16 missiles are a lot more to avoid than 4, so you're bound to splat at least 1 or 2 of them, and send the others packing. With the Stingray, you'll be lucky if you even splat one before they separate and start playing jump-rope with your fire. The Missiles can easily turn firefights in your team's favor if used well, while the Stingray will often be no more than a slight annoyance.

Mr.HawK

The Artist
kinda surprised this doc managed to get onto here somehow, anyway...

I actually know the guy who made this doc, funny thing too, the list is actually incomplete due to some things being a bit too spoilery or something like that. so it's not ALL the things coming out.

(that's why ya don't see rapid blaster pro or hydra on there)
Anyways, yeah, cool stuff coming soon as it was like with Splatoon 1.

Switch Friend Code
SW-7067-7083-1429
kinda surprised this doc managed to get onto here somehow, anyway...

I actually know the guy who made this doc, funny thing too, the list is actually incomplete due to some things being a bit too spoilery or something like that. so it's not ALL the things coming out.

(that's why ya don't see rapid blaster pro or hydra on there)
Anyways, yeah, cool stuff coming soon as it was like with Splatoon 1.
Cool! That would explain why the Custom Dualie Squelchers were taken off the list not long after it was put on there. Maybe it was a mistake since the vanilla was never there. Nice to know we'll be getting more new stuff in the future and not just alt kits.

Maybe we can get the Jungle Hat back too

Last edited:

Joseph Staleknight

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
JStaleknight
Switch Friend Code
SW-1169-3473-1031
My personal two cents here?

As soon as the Neo Splash is added, I am going to main it like I never knew any other weapon. The original Splash-O from the first game was my fave weapon not just for its precision but also the power of Suction Bombs and their Rush. So you can imagine my joy when I found out what the Neo's kit is going to be.

Bombs for dayyyyyyyyys~

shani

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
shani_ace
@Joseph Staleknight Woah, awesome! Hadn't seen it in the list. The Splash-o-matic was in my top-5 weapons in Splatoon 1. Later on I didn't use it that often anymore but I always loved the Suction Bomb Rush. And now they even replaced the sub with Burst Bombs?! That's even more awesome! Insta-buy for me. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom