1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Squidboards now has its own Discord server!

Join us on Discord!

3. Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 15,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 150,000 posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Splatoon community!

4. Hi Guest,

As of June 3rd you will no longer be able to log in to Squidboards using your Smashboards account. Please take a look at the announcement for additional details

Spyke's nightly escapades (or: the ordering system)

Discussion in 'Competitive Discussion' started by Njok, Jul 21, 2015.

1. Njok

Njok Bouncer

The plaza is filled with the people you last played with so yeah at some point the guy you ordered from will be gone from the plaza.

You can keep the order coming back if you follow the doc I posted earlier in this thread.

2. mindscarp

mindscarp Inkster Jr.

NNID:
    mindscarp
    The moment when you buy a piece of gear from Spyke, all sub ability slots are set in stone; but when exactly is the order result set in stone?

If it's when you talk to Spyke (step 5) and you see only 0 or 1 sub, why can't you just do step 6 then go back to step 5 again without waiting another day?

Note: as long as you wait a few seconds after a data transfer has ended & you exit the Data Management category (without exiting the System Settings), you can plug in/take out the USB stick without turning the Wii U off, it's faster.

3. KeebyKakes

KeebyKakes Senior Squid

They disappear if you play in a lobby without them. You can try going through your Recent Players list and sending the person a friend request. If they accept, it will be easier for you to play against them and order their gear in the future.

4. Njok

Njok Bouncer

The order result is different every 24 hours. So before that period ends you can keep trying, yes.

5. nick2427

nick2427 Inkster Jr.

NNID:
    CM86

The eight steps you put in the doc. Are you saving the game to a flash drive after you place an order with Spyke? Also, let's say I get 0-1 slots. I understand that your copying the USB file onto the wii u. Does that mean you have to wait 24 hours again since the game thinks you just ordered the gear assuming the answer to my first question is yes. If so, I have been doing this the whole time but didn't even realize I could play online without losing the squid with my desired gear.

6. Njok

Njok Bouncer

Sorry I didn't completely get what you mean there.

The point is this: if you don't pick your order up from Spyke, he will not throw it out. So let's say you order something on Monday, but then you won't be able to play at all til Saturday, he will still have the order for you.

So you are basically simulating that by having a back up where you didn't pick your order up.

And if you made progress in the game that day, you just make a backup again before talking to Spyke.

7. Sol64

Sol64 The RNG God of /r/Splatoon

Yes. I also believe you might have a window of one more match as well but I wouldn't try to do so because I'm not sure what the chances or the situation are like.

8. redacteddd

redacteddd Banned (6 points)

Has anybody noticed that no slot 3-star gear now costs only 15000?

9. MrL1193

MrL1193 Inkling Cadet

"Only"? That's actually more than I remembered it being...

10. nick2427

nick2427 Inkster Jr.

NNID:
    CM86

Oh I gotcha. So I can keep playing just as long as I back up my save file before talking with Spyke about my order. That was my main concern. Thanks again for the help. Its appreciated.

Njok likes this.
  11. VideoGameVirtuoso

VideoGameVirtuoso Pro Squid

NNID:
    ExtremeTechPro
    I believe there is a major issue with the eight step part of the guide. Unlocking sub-abilities via leveling up is not RNG based, it is fixed. I can confirm that reasonably with the Red Hi-Tops, since I was trying heavily to get Swim Speed Up. I got Bomb Range Up three times in save succession.

12. Njok

Njok Bouncer

No, there is not. I wouldn't post this without testing it.

It's also pretty widely known that it's set once you buy it. So if you keep getting the same result you either did it wrong (made backup after buying it) or are really unlucky.

If it's the latter, just keep trying :)

13. VideoGameVirtuoso

VideoGameVirtuoso Pro Squid

NNID:
    ExtremeTechPro
    Okay, thank you for responding. I will see if my luck changes later tonight.

14. Sharpzz

Sharpzz Full Squid

Does Spyke throw away your order for the day even if you don't talk to him while playing?

15. Njok

Njok Bouncer

Nope.

16. Sharpzz

Sharpzz Full Squid

Ok, thanks. That means you could do pseudo-soft resets each day until you get 2 or 3 subs from Spyke using the save backup technique.

17. Njok

Njok Bouncer

Well yeah, that's what the whole doc is about.

18. mm201

mm201 Senior Squid

NNID:
    kaizo201
    So for the past two weeks or so, Spyke has awarded exactly one slot on a piece of gear I'm trying to get. Never 0, never 2. This is weird since it's worked for me before. I have one additional item queued up beyond the one I'm working on. Could there be additional requirements to stop the slots from locking in?

19. Njok

Njok Bouncer

There's a 60% chance of that happening, so it's not that weird i guess. It's an annoying coincidence though. I'm sure it'll come with 2 at some point.

20. mm201

mm201 Senior Squid

NNID:
    kaizo201
    For 14 days in a row? That's a 0.08% chance.