• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Squidboards Suggestion Thread

revlushaun

Inkling
Switch Friend Code
SW-7726-6677-3873
is there no option for light mode? im one of the few people who use light mode and my eyes struggle with this website because of it. i tend to get after-images if i look at light text on dark backgrounds for too long.

antyytna

Inkster Jr.
Switch Friend Code
SW-2627-3241-7131
this place should copy smogon just having one central metadiscussion thread, right now people are making threads like every minute which is like impossible to read, and most of them are worth like, a tweet

Tyson TH

Inkster Jr.
Pronouns
he/him
NNID
tyson_th
So this will be my unfiltered thoughts on what I think this forum would need to flourish, so it's more so my vision of how SquidBoards can be the best version of itself it can possibly be even if not every goal or idea is realistic or can be fully realized at this time.

I think a native mobile app would be difficult to maintain and would create problems maintaining a consistent UI and color scheme. A Progressive Web App would likely be more suitable (supports more than just mobile devices), make development easier and require significantly less storage space.

Given the Splatoon 2 decor, I don't need to mention that the look is outdated. However, I think basing it around Splatoon 3 isn't the solution to it either. My idea here would be to create a more 'timeless' design that has a general over encompassing inspiration from the series itself. This would also give the forum a more unique look and provide opportunities for artists in the community if any wanted to participate. This is still a forum however so there's no reason to can the old design, many forums let you choose from a variety of themes. It would just generally be best for the 'timeless' one to be the default and signature look.

Restructuring the forum categories or including new ones for Salmon Run, Tableturf, etc. would also be very valuable to the subcommunities of the game and prevent discussion from getting lost in a general Splatoon 3 subforum. Additionally, I am aware that some Splatoon fans may not even play the game itself and are immersed with the lore, design and art of the game so it would be beneficial to members and moderators to update and clearly define what each subcategory is for. In the event that SquidBoards is able to gain some serious traction again, I think it would be good to open 'General' subforums for fans of the game that do not speak English. This would primarily serve to be as welcoming to the overall community of the game as possible but an idea that would definitely need more fleshing out if it were to take form.

Integration with other Splatoon dedicated websites like Inkipedia, sendou.ink, etc. would also further encourage people to use all these services together and give people less of a need to rely on Twitter or being in the "right" Discord server to be able to reliably find information and discussion on a certain topic.

I will admit that I haven't really kept up with the well known names since the Splatoon 1/early Splatoon 2 days so I can't give concrete people for this one but going back to the idea of subforums. I think it would be beneficial to have moderators who are most familiar with that subforum's topic to be in charge of keeping discussion in the right direction and could relieve "General" moderators from having to keep discussion from going off-topic. GBAtemp.net is the only forum I'm aware of that has a structure like this.

Lastly, this last one is definitely more of a hope than a suggestion of mine but having a more centralized hub could provide a safer and healthier place for younger Splatoon players to be in. I know it's not going to prevent bad things from happening but it can combat malicious and predatory behavior by not having as many things go under the radar like they would on a general social media site. It would also expose them to more nuanced takes and further develop critical thinking skills just by lurking here and seeing veteran players fully lay out their thoughts on here. It's a fine line to walk too since you don't want over-moderate and deter people from wanting to stay here but keeping ****-posts and spam to minimum is important.

tl;dr - It will be a massive community effort and will need serious commitment from everyone to make this last and not be a short-lasting bubble.

Last edited:

antyytna

Inkster Jr.
Switch Friend Code
SW-2627-3241-7131
the react emotes to messages should have funny custom squid and octos IMO

smogon has these for its reactions, and it's using the same type of forum

1706709537410.png

something like this but splatoon themed would be fun, I think

TheRapture

Dystopian Future Paint Desperado
Admin
NNID
Ya_Boi_Rapture
Thanks for the suggestions everybody. Will go through these and see what makes sense/is possible to implement in the short and long term. Keep them coming! Can't give any promises on time tables/estimates, but will try to get to as much of this as we can in terms of moving forward and polishing this place up for everyone.

1O7JR

Inkster Jr.
There needs to be a way for multiple posts by one user, made within a certain span of time, to be automatically merged into each other. I keep seeing instances of double-posting that could easily be fixed by the user editing or adding onto their own post. This is especially bad when many of these double-posts are 1-2 lines of text, creating an unnecessary take up of space in the thread. This is probably the effect of people typing as if they were still on Twitter.

There also needs to be something explaining to users how to put an image into a response. Some users are making multiple posts because they keep putting images as attachments, so they hit the attachment limit and make a new post, causing their thread to be a bunch of posts with minimal content (aside from the attachments).

Chipolte

Full Squid
NNID
Chipolte224
There needs to be a way for multiple posts by one user, made within a certain span of time, to be automatically merged into each other. I keep seeing instances of double-posting that could easily be fixed by the user editing or adding onto their own post. This is especially bad when many of these double-posts are 1-2 lines of text, creating an unnecessary take up of space in the thread. This is probably the effect of people typing as if they were still on Twitter.

There also needs to be something explaining to users how to put an image into a response. Some users are making multiple posts because they keep putting images as attachments, so they hit the attachment limit and make a new post, causing their thread to be a bunch of posts with minimal content (aside from the attachments).
sounds like we need a guide :]

Tyson TH

Inkster Jr.
Pronouns
he/him
NNID
tyson_th

A helper thread that teaches or links resources on how to use markdown/BBcode properly and general forum etiquette would probably be the most useful way to keep all that condensed into one place. Making users click a "I have read this" checkbox when signing up would be the easiest way to make sure people are aware it exists.

In regards to that, it should be an optional thing for post merging because merging two really huge posts can just create an even bigger wall of text.
There is a tag similar to the spoiler tag (might just be a spoiler tag with a name property, I forget) that lets you condense long posts by default and require manually clicking on a button to see it. Would help when you're scrolling to see a specific message.

Cyndane

Obscured in Ink!!
Admin
Premium
Pronouns
She/Her

Double/Multiposting is definitely not normally allowed. If you come across this, just report it and a staff member can merge.

A helper thread that teaches or links resources on how to use markdown/BBcode properly and general forum etiquette would probably be the most useful way to keep all that condensed into one place. Making users click a "I have read this" checkbox when signing up would be the easiest way to make sure people are aware it exists.
As far as BB Code goes, there is this: https://squidboards.com/help/bb-codes/

ThestralZ

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-1797-1352-6215
Is it just me or does anyone else have to manually update their tab to see new threads? If they come happen automatically, that would be nice

Pineapple Death Match

Inkster Jr.
Pronouns
He/Him
Switch Friend Code
SW-4487-0366-3601
Updating the user guide I think should be included in these suggestions, as a lot of folk new here may have never been on a forum before - including a section on "forum etiquette" alongside generally going over how a forum "works" should help smooth the transition for users who might be more used to faster-paced short-form social medias :)

Beyond that I'll go ahead and second other suggestions made here: custom reactions/emojis, generally giving the forum a "facelift" (pronouns instead of gender at account creation [also showing pronouns under your avatar/username], new theme that's not so tied to Splatoon 2, there's probably more but that's the main ones coming to mind) as well as separate forum categories for salmon run & tableturf.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom