The Dead(er) Sea: Saltiest Catch

Agent Z

Inkling Commander
I don't understand how this game doesn't understand basic weapon distribution. Getting stuck against 4 Sting Ray users in Port Mackerel, getting stuck against 4 Tenta Missile users ANYWHERE, getting stuck against 2 Jet Squelchers when you want a change of pace by using a short range weapon for once, getting 2 chargers or 2 splatlings on the same team, getting matched against 2 or more Ink Armor users. These are all as good as death sentences. There is absolutely ZERO excuse for this. Turf war is casual, but that doesn't mean it should be completely random. Because random is NOT fun, I'm sorry. It is NOT fun. Remove regional matchmaking and give us back our global matchmaking so we can actually tap into the other parts of the world's players. I just had to spend 10+ minutes in turf war lobbies just waiting, and they timed out regardless. Yet another reason we need global matchmaking back. We need it so lobby wait times aren't abysmal and so that we get actual balanced team weapon compositions. Main weapon-wise AND sub weapon-wise. Please.

Tower Control.
Moray Towers.
4 Dualie users.
All of them had at least one piece of gear with quadruple special weapon up abilities.
We never stood a chance....

Debbie

Senior Squid
NNID
MissRora
I guess they just wanted to let everyone have their S+ rank without having any of the effort involved.
And here I, the lowly C-ranking trash, thought getting a rank up was something to be proud of and a sign that I'm actually getting better at this game. Guess not...

Last edited:

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
And here I, the lowly C-ranking trash, thought getting a rank up was something to be proud of and a sign that I'm actually getting better at this game. Guess not...
The way this system works, as long as you win 50% or greater of your matches, you WILL rank up. Guaranteed. The number of wins it takes to reach the "ok" line is much, MUCH less than the number of losses it takes to rank down.

Либра

「Pavor Nocturnus」
And here I, the lowly C-ranking trash, thought getting a rank up was something to be proud of and a sign that I'm actually getti g better at this game. Guess not...
You'll be far better off not measuring your improvement on rank alone and instead also focusing on your performance as a whole. Are you getting the picks you need to? Is your positioning on point? Are you actively contributing to the wins? Are you keeping an eye on the map and working with your team instead of completely on your own?

If you have the feeling you're performing better regardless of your RNG-team then that's a clear sign of it. Rank is a good approximation of where you stand right now but it's not dealt in absolutes as ranked is essentially still a team-based game. Get a DC or a bad team and you will drop in ranks if you're unlucky. And at the end of the day, once you really improve, you will not only improve your rank but have a better chance at keeping it - but again, when matchmaking decides to hate your guts on some days.. you know. But anyhow, as a filthy semi-casual you can take my words with a grain of salt. In my eyes it's not wrong to be happy with your higher rank. Any kind of achievement is still an achievement when you really let it boil down to it.

Also, I think that he/she/it meant the users who are getting boosted into S+, achieving it on your own is another story. x'D

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
No, no, it is something to be proud of. It does mean you're getting better. And it grants you access to stronger opponents.

For Splat1 veterans—competitive, mid S to S+level, long time players, and the like—we're use to a much harsher system than what's currently in place. As a result there became a sort of experience and skill gap in each rank that you had to be introduced to, pick up on, then surpass if you wanted a chance to not just get into the next rank but maintain your current one.

As it seems to stand now with Splatoon 2, that skill delineation we're accustomed to isn't really established or starkly defined. It may never be? So as a result, you get instances with players from multiple skill levels and skill sets getting lumped together. This could be due to the new ranking system, the glut of new players, regional matchmaking preference, the game being only a couple months old, or whatever else—but that doesn't lessen your own accomplishments!

Your matches and rank struggle still matter, yet be prepared for sudden difficulty spikes and witnessing performances curiously stronger than what you've encountered before.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Yeah, fair points being made by Ansible and name-I-can't-type (sorry!). There's still accomplishment in ranking up, I sometimes forget that as a veteran of the punishing system in the first game. It's just a lot more chaotic than it used to be.

Agent Z

Inkling Commander
I honestly hate to view Splatoon as another one of those competitive games. Some friendly competition is ok, it's literally what the Inkling's lives are built around, but when people start getting too serious about it... that's when an otherwise sweet and nice community starts turning cold.

Debbie

Senior Squid
NNID
MissRora
For Splat1 veterans—competitive, mid S to S+level, long time players, and the like—we're use to a much harsher system than what's currently in place. As a result there became a sort of experience and skill gap in each rank that you had to be introduced to, pick up on, then surpass if you wanted a chance to not just get into the next rank but maintain your current one.
I freely admit to knowing pretty much nothing on that end of things. Although now I'm imagining all of you as old people in army fatigues going, "You ain't seen what I've seen, kid...." :p

The way this system works, as long as you win 50% or greater of your matches, you WILL rank up. Guaranteed. The number of wins it takes to reach the "ok" line is much, MUCH less than the number of losses it takes to rank down.
More than half? That's it? On the one hand, it seems pretty low. On the other hand, the Random Number Gods have given me a team of 3 Aerosprays far too often.... I CAN ONLY BE IN ONE PLACE AT A TIME. *assumes fetal position with Splatterscope*

Ansible

Community Ambassador
I freely admit to knowing pretty much nothing on that end of things. Although now I'm imagining all of you as old people in army fatigues going, "You ain't seen what I've seen, kid...." :p
Yeah, in a thread somewhere a month or two back I called it that eventually we'd start becoming cranky old squids complaining about the new kids having it easy! Or the older siblings that grew up under strict parenting, but then our folks wound up chilling out while raising the younger siblings. xP

And for a glimpse into our past: imagine a game where you had to win two matches to make up for a single lost. Every time. In BOTH rank and turf war—freshness meter. Sleep well.

Debbie

Senior Squid
NNID
MissRora
And for a glimpse into our past: imagine a game where you had to win two matches to make up for a single lost. Every time. In BOTH rank and turf war—freshness meter. Sleep well.
"Up the hill, both ways, while Octarians threw Burst Bombs at us..."

Seriously though, eww. I'd be that person who finally got to B rank just as the new game came out. Heck, with how quickly this game came out, that might be me anyway!

Либра

「Pavor Nocturnus」
and name-I-can't-type (sorry!).
Oh my, this gave me a good laugh. No need to apologize, the fault's all mine for having chosen to use a cyrillic screen name in the first place. You just gave me a idea for a temporary signature placeholder though.

I honestly hate to view Splatoon as another one of those competitive games. Some friendly competition is ok, it's literally what the Inkling's lives are built around, but when people start getting too serious about it... that's when an otherwise sweet and nice community starts turning cold.
Fair point and also why I call myself a semi-casual/competitive depending on how the stars are aligned because I do have the guts to give it my all in ranked and improve my skills but I do not view my W/L-rate and resulting rank as the end of the world if it's not S+ within a few weeks. I've yet to encounter people who are as serious about it as the folks over at Overwatch... when comparing the two communities I can definitely assure you that it's defo the place the dead sea originates from*. And by all means I hope it'll stay this way. I am not liking how Nintendo wants to push the game as an e-sport ... it... doesn't even have the proper foundation to be one. And if they do manage to pull this off I'm really not looking forward to the toxicity that will arise.

*yes, I could also include DOTA, LoL and the likes, but bear with me there.

*assumes fetal position with his trusty splatterscope while having terrifying flashbacks* No. I don't want to go back. No. ;_;
...Then again, I liked the old Dynamo a lot more than the current one though. Might fire up my Wii U again while Splatoon 1 is still live. Splatoon 2 basically butchered my rampage-mode weapon. *sighs*

Hero of Lime

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Link643
Switch Friend Code
SW-5339-5185-8796.
I think getting to the high ranks in Splatoon 2 still calls for celebration for sure. The road to S+ in the first game was hard enough to break even the toughest souls. Once I got there I proceeded to play little rank after that out of fear of losing it. I honestly prefer it this way because it makes solo ranked much less stressful and more fun. And there's always league battles for more ranked fun without the rank worry.

Ansible

Community Ambassador
Ever had an entire team, including the rainmaker carrier, take a moment to change course just to chase after you?

*laughs self back to respawn pad*

Trollololol brella is trollolololly. o(○`ω´○)9 Surprised they didn't squidbag me. *cackles*

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Ever had an entire team, including the rainmaker carrier, take a moment to change course just to chase after you?

*laughs self back to respawn pad*

Trollololol brella is trollolololly. o(○`ω´○)9 Surprised they didn't squidbag me. *cackles*
Did you mean: Half my matches because I am a Jet main and people loathe snipers beyond all rational thought? :D

Slushious

Token Party Squid
NNID
Setsu-P
Switch Friend Code
SW-3439-5127-4993
Yes, but it was Turf in Squid Wars 1. For some unholy reason the entire other team decided to corner me in the first open area out from my team's spawn on Port Mackerel. They just kept rushing around the corner at me like some Clown Car of Holding had popped open a door and was spewing angry squids at me. Unreal, but hilarious XD

Ansible

Community Ambassador
Did you mean: Half my matches because I am a Jet main and people loathe snipers beyond all rational thought? :D
Hmm... *checks gamefaqs other boards* yeah that about tracks.

Yes, but it was Turf in Squid Wars 1. For some unholy reason the entire other team decided to corner me in the first open area out from my team's spawn on Port Mackerel. They just kept rushing around the corner at me like some Clown Car of Holding had popped open a door and was spewing angry squids at me. Unreal, but hilarious XD
Suction bomb with suction bomb rush? Yeah, they were smart! Guess they were superjumping to each other to camp YOU. =p

Green Waffles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I think getting to the high ranks in Splatoon 2 still calls for celebration for sure. The road to S+ in the first game was hard enough to break even the toughest souls. Once I got there I proceeded to play little rank after that out of fear of losing it. I honestly prefer it this way because it makes solo ranked much less stressful and more fun. And there's always league battles for more ranked fun without the rank worry.
I oughta take that mindset, solo ranked means little when it comes to playing in tournament.
And league, while arguably a much better way to score your skill in such a team heavy game, is STILL not that high stress for the simple fact that it literally resets EVERYONE every two hours.

And I'm sorry if I offended with my last post, I was 95% salinity when I posted that. Out of roughly ~15 ranked matches I won about 2 while using a drink, which is definitely NOT worth getting that salty over given how much I play Salmon run. While solo rank means less this time around, it is still definitely an achievement to rank up which at the least requires weapon prowess to achieve and I shouldn't jump to such a non-comical threat to mock.

Well, I'm still a fool, which is oddly reassuring '3' (and sorry again)

Debbie

Senior Squid
NNID
MissRora
Oh man, this was painfully obvious when I first brought a charger into Turf Wars.... Nothing like taking 3 rounds of missiles to the face while the rest of the team is ignored...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom